PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Nov 25 2006

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-25-2006, 09:44 AM
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 25, 2006

Special-teams captains Sean Morey and Clint Kriewaldt said the Steelers need to adjust their attitude on special teams as much as anything else in advance of anticipated changes on the kickoff team for Sunday's game against the Ravens. The Steelers' kickoff team of late has consisted of cornerback Bryant McFadden, free safety Ryan Clark, safety Mike Logan, cornerback Anthony Madison, linebacker James Harrison, kicker Jeff Reed, Kriewaldt, Morey, safety Anthony Smith, safety Tyrone Carter and cornerback Ike Taylor. That was the unit that surrendered Joshua Cribbs' 92-yard kickoff return for a touchdown last Sunday in Cleveland. "We made a few changes and moved some guys around but it's the same concept that kickoff (coverage) always is," Kriewaldt said. "It's about running down there and blowing people up and getting to the ball. We have more long returns on us this year than we did the prior three years put together. We have to get everybody on the same page, knowing what it takes, running down there full speed and give 100 percent effort. I don't know if we have that right now. I don't know if guys are just inexperienced and don't understand it yet or if guys are scared, I don't know what it is. I only know how I feel. There's no X's and O's (on kickoff coverage). It's all about guys running down there 100 percent. It's all about heart and desire, that's all it is. Sometimes you watch and it doesn't look like everybody's on the same page."
? Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward tested his hyperextended knee in practice this week for the first time Friday and said he was ready to give it a shot in Baltimore. "(Trainer) John (Norwig) taped it up kinda how we would do it in a game and it felt good," Ward said. "I'm looking forward to getting out there and trying it Sunday. I'm going to be out there and give it a shot and see how long it goes from there." Officially, Ward missed a portion of team practice yesterday, along with wide receiver Willie Reid (foot). "I'm encouraged," Ward said. "From where I was Monday to (yesterday), I've improved dramatically."

? The Steelers upgraded running back Najeh Davenport (groin) from questionable to probable yesterday and downgraded Reid from doubtful to out. The Ravens reported defensive tackle Dawan Edwards (back), tight end Todd Heap (foot), linebacker Ray Lewis (back), guard Keydrick Vincent (thigh) and tight end Daniel Wilcox (thigh) as having missed at least a portion of team practice yesterday. All five players are questionable for Sunday's game.

? A sack that was previously split between linebacker Joey Porter and defensive end Brett Keisel in the third quarter last Sunday in Cleveland was officially awarded entirely to Porter yesterday.

Digits

3 - Number of sacks this season for Keisel following Friday's half-sack decrease.

5 - Number of sacks for Porter this season after Friday's half-sack increase.

5 1/2 - Number of sacks for team-leader linebacker Clark Haggans