PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field Turf Looks Like Steelers Season

Atlanta Dan
11-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Anyone else watching Pitt-Lousville? Not surprisingly, after 4 high school games yesterday the Heinz Field turf, which apparently had a roller used to press it down before the game, is nothing but dirt inside the hashmarks between the 20s.

Maybe the Rooneys can schedule a tractor pull before the Tampa Bay game next week.

If the NFLPA was not such a lap dog union maybe it would tell the league to force the Steelers to fix that disgrace.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Imagine if it rained? IMO, after having four games played on it yesterday it seems to be holding up surprisingly well.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 04:41 PM
It doesn't look bad at all.

ChronoCross
11-25-2006, 04:55 PM
ya i am watching it. Wait a few more weeks.

Atlanta Dan
11-25-2006, 04:58 PM
It doesn't look bad at all.

You must be watching the game on radio:smile:

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm watching it on TV. And one more thing YOUR NOT FUNNY

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm watching it on TV. And one more thing YOUR NOT FUNNYI thought that was pretty funny!:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I thought that was pretty funny!:toofunny:

Kind of hard to watch a game on radio isn't it?

PirateSteeler
11-25-2006, 06:05 PM

How can you not see that the field is beat to shit?

jaysta
11-25-2006, 06:09 PM
They have one of the more expensive turf systems in the league so I'm really surprised that they're letting it get beat up with all of these high school games. We had an entire thread discussing this a while back so not to re-hash things, but this is the same turf that Denver uses and their field looks great! I like the idea of having a tractor pull before next week's game though. That should finish it off.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 06:19 PM
How can you not see that the field is beat to shit?

I meant that by how much it was used.

Lyn
11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I believe Heinz Field is a tax supported venue allowing Pitt, a tax supported university, and the tax supported high schools access to the venue.

Atlanta Dan
11-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I believe Heinz Field is a tax supported venue allowing Pitt, a tax supported university, and the tax supported high schools access to the venue.

I agree completely; if Allegheny County does want to hold a tractor pull at Heinz Field the Rooneys have no grounds to complain given how "Plan B" was rammed through the state legislature to pay for the stadium - but if you are going to allow that kind of use you need to provide the proper type of field (e.g. - because of the amount of wear you would not put down in an office hallway or mall the type of surface you would put down in your living room)

Blitzburgh
11-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Ok, here's the deal on our field:

Contrary to what many believe, or want to believe, Heinz Field turf absolutely blows and the Rooney's know it!

... in fact, it was recently listed at the bottom of a recent survey of players around the league. It should be an absolute embarassment to the Rooneys that a state-of-the-art stadium of this caliber, and one that is also the home the reigning World Champions is still trying to grow grass after 5 years and 2 re-soddings. Whats really sad is that several local high schools in the surrounding Pittsburgh area have put in state of the art turf systems in over the past few years which puts Heinz Field to shame.

I was at the Cincinnati game in early October and already the field was torn up to dirt between the 20's .... WTF?

The Steelers can spin it however they want about how much their current grass system costs to maintain, the bottom line is they're too cheap to consider laying down some FieldTurf which makes all the sense in the world considering the elements and all the entities that play on it throughout the year. FieldTurf would cost them a little over $2M to put in and is ABSOLUTELY TH BEST THERE IS.

The FieldTurf concept is simple. It looks like Grass? Feels Like Grass?Plays Like Grass and has the very same safety characteristics as grass. It's a synthetic system that offers the same biomechanical properties of natural grass, combined with the best attributes of a durable synthetic system: all-weather playability, low maintenance, and unlimited playing time.

FieldTurf is dramatically different from traditional synthetic turf. The most striking difference is immediately obvious. Instead of a dense, abrasive rug, FieldTurf?s fiber surface is soft, silky - like new blades of grass in a spring meadow. Players can slide, tackle and tumble on FieldTurf?s unique blend of specially treated Polyethylene fibers without fear of abrasions. Rug burns are a thing of the past. The old hatred of ?turf? - voiced so loudly by players, trainers, coaches, the media, even parents and doctors - simply vanishes, a distant memory from the rough ?carpet age.?

FieldTurf is the original and only system emulating natural grass, ideal not only for athletes at the elite level but for everyday athletes.

FieldTurf?s patented system is the first choice for elite athletic venues worldwide: Seattle Seahawks, Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets and Giants, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, St. Louis Rams, and most recently the New England Patriots (currently being installed), twenty-four NFL installations plus more than forty NCAA installations, including Nebraska, Kansas State, Oregon, Oregon State, Syracuse, Washington and Washington State.

TIME TO DEMAND A CHANGE! :helmet:

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 08:49 PM
NO NO NO DEFINANTLY NO FIELD TURF! My High School installed field turf for our football stadium and it's just as bad as the regular turf. It's torcher on your feet. I almost twisted my ankle not once, but twice on ours in football games, but yet that doesn't stop me from playing football. It's harder to keep traction. You need specific spikes to make sure you keep your balance. And If it's an extremely warm day. It's a killer on your feet because of all of that heat. And also Field Turf doesn't have an unlimited life. You have to replace it every 10-12 years and replace the base every 30 years. My school can't even payoff all of the money we owe because we started constructing it with only about maybe 1/100 of funding done. NOT ONLY THAT, ours is being privately funded which now I have a bad feeling the school district is going to have to pick up with bill. And maintenance is just as bad. The fibers that are used to hold it down cost up to wadzoo. It's easier just to keep the grass field.

Blitzburgh
11-25-2006, 09:18 PM
First off, its obviously you don't know much about Fieldturf. Its nothing remotely close to the old carpeted feeling of astroturf. Yes, it does need resurfacing every 12-15 years, most carpets do. Grass fields need to be resodded every several years as well. Over the course of the 15 year lifespan of the surface, Fieldturf is about 1/3 less expensive to maintain.

~ Your twisting your ankle has nothing to do with the turf itself, but everything to do with your inability to adjust to the surface. Its been proven just as safe as grass.

~ I don't think we're going to see Arizona type heat in Pittsburgh, so I wouldn't worry about players getting "hot feet"

~ Sounds like your school bit off more than they can chew. This is state of the art turf made for professional caliber sports venues and should not be on a High School field... period! Any High School putting this down either has way too much tax money on its hands, or is writing checks on their ego that their school won't be able to cash in the long haul.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 09:44 PM
First off, its obviously you don't know much about Fieldturf. Its nothing remotely close to the old carpeted feeling of astroturf. Yes, it does need resurfacing every 12-15 years, most carpets do. Grass fields need to be resodded every several years as well. Over the course of the 15 year lifespan of the surface, Fieldturf is about 1/3 less expensive to maintain.

~ Your twisting your ankle has nothing to do with the turf itself, but everything to do with your inability to adjust to the surface. Its been proven just as safe as grass.

~ I don't think we're going to see Arizona type heat in Pittsburgh, so I wouldn't worry about players getting "hot feet"

~ Sounds like your school bit off more than they can chew. This is state of the art turf made for professional caliber sports venues and should not be on a High School field... period! Any High School putting this down either has way too much tax money on its hands, or is writing checks on their ego that their school won't be able to cash in the long haul.

Exactly. High School should have Grass. That's what High School football was made for. None of our money for the turf comes from the school district itself. They thought they could pull of a deal like State College which is 1 hour away from my school did. They renovated their field and installed the same turf and were able to do so. They forget something HOLLIDAYSBURG IS NOT STATE COLLEGE. We don't have all the people who are willing to fork out the money for the field. The total of the construction is $750,000
And everyone in the school district who is a tax payer is going to have to pick up the bill. This is the biggest piece of BS project. Even though the Turf is better then what our rivals from accross town have. It's pretty much the same as the Pittsburgh City League team's use. I'm still as big of an opponent as I was.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-26-2006, 01:51 AM

Sorry bro but that is funny.

THIS JUST IN...Heinz Field is now host to the Three River Livestock Show to be held every Saturday night before home Steeler games.

That turf is pathetic.

Need4spd
11-26-2006, 08:53 AM
They've even resorted to installing field turf in Foxboro at Gillette Stadium, so now the Steelers can stake their claim to having the single worst kept field in the NFL.

clevestinks
11-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Well we`ve had great weather, and still have 5 more days left of it, so bring on the bucs

PirateSteeler
11-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Look at that beautiful brand new field turf in New England. We could use some of that.