PDA

View Full Version : Cowher

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
So what do you think? Will Coach Cowher step down after the season? Does it depend on how far the steelers go?

Elvis
11-26-2006, 11:18 AM
:tt02: :helmet:
The Steelers Organization will make the right decision along with Bill of whether he comes back or not next year.. I would love to see Bill come back next year, but if he isnt truly wanting to coach anymore then his heart probably isnt in it and I dont want him here if he feels that way. No hard Feelings towards Bill in my mind, maybe its just time for him to move on to his family life now... But this is just something we will have to wait and see about at the end of the season...no needs to worry about it right now in the middle of the season...:wave:

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I agree...but to me Bill more so than other coaches of other teams really does complete the Pittsburgh Steelers. Agree?

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Ed.B. of the P-G has a good analysis of this today, which is posted in another thread titled "Bouchette On The Steelers"

If Cowher is going, and I think he is, Bouchette said not making the playoffs gives the Steelers more time to make the transition by finding out New Years's Eve what Cowhers intentins are and allows Grimm & Whiz to consider their options. Bouchette does not believe either assistant's career prospects has been hurt by this year's performance, an opinion with which I disagree.

Ed.B. says Cowher could make $8 million per on the open market and the Steelers will not pay that.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-26-2006, 11:40 AM
He's as good as gone!

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't know, cape. He, to me seems very faithful to Pittsburgh...Maybe thats just wishful thinking though.

Tankus_Maximus
11-26-2006, 11:58 AM
I think he's gone...now that he's "climbed the mountain" so to speak, that same fire and zest doesn't seem to be there anymore. I read in ESPN the Mag that if the Browns fire Romeo, they're gonna try to get Cowher..AGAIN.

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 12:30 PM
cowher wont do THAT

HometownGal
11-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I dunno - I still don't see him leaving if the Steelers don't make the playoffs. He seems to me to be the type of coach who would want to go out on top (or near the top). As of right now, I say he honors his contract and gives it one more year, unless the Steelers defy all of the odds and make it to the big game. (Wishful thinking - 50% of my opinion here, most likely) :smile:

MACH1
11-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I think he Finishes out his contract and retires for a year.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 12:50 PM
If Cowher shows up in Cleveland then the Browns-Steelers rivalry goes off the charts in terms of intensity.

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Amen

BigDuke6
11-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I think he's gone. As Chuck Noll said "if you think about retiring, retire". Bill's been thinking of it all year. I dont think the Whiz or Grimm will be the guys either. I think this time the Steelers go outside the org and (like they did with Cowher) bring a new guy with a new staff. LeBeau will probably be the only hold-over. IMHO

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree they should go outside the organization, but I have read LeBeau is planning to retire.

This team needs a fresh perspective.

polamalufan43
11-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Who knows. I'm not saying wether my opinion has changed or not, but there has been rumors that he will finish out his contract, retire for one year, and then possibly become head coach of the Washington Redskins.
But then again, who knows? I will say that what ever happens from this second till about two years from now, could be pivotal for the organization.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
11-26-2006, 03:20 PM
:tt02:
Maybe the Steelers should trade Cowher for Bunting (UNC):sofunny: :jawdrop: :banana: :chicken:

Rotorhead
11-26-2006, 07:47 PM
He has definately lost the fire, whether it will come back or not is a different story. I think Wiz stayed around because Cowher is ready for at least a break and the FO offered him the spot. I hope Lebeau stays around for a couple more years, but if it is rebuilding time, well I guess it is time.

Steelers
11-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I'll say it again:

You can't fire him! He's already quit!

NV STEELERS 723
11-26-2006, 09:45 PM
AS much as I hate this subject, I have to think BC moves on...He is a great coach but, w/ the way we have played this year... Ben's health, no running game, turnovers, ....its just one of those bad years for our STEELERS... we've had them before, and we'll be back...I think our OF Line is old, and we need to shore that up w/ some draft choices...

But having a " Rod Woodson type player" drafted would be nice too...

I'm gonna hate seeing BC on the sidelines w/ another team... I think I'll throw up !

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree they should go outside the organization, but I have read LeBeau is planning to retire.

This team needs a fresh perspective.

I agree so much on a fresh perspective for the Steelers.

MACH1
11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
what is this a retirefest

Blitzburgh
11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
HOT OFF THE PRESSES!

Queue up the "speculation" .... cause ESPN is now reporting that Amato has just been fired at NC State. Many have believed that Cowher has been in negotiations with them for the past few months ......... we'll soon find out!

AMATO OUT AT NC STATE :jawdrop:

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina State coach Chuck Amato was fired Sunday, a day after the Wolfpack lost to East Carolina 21-16 -- their seventh consecutive loss to finish the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2676855

MACH1
11-26-2006, 10:09 PM
HOT OFF THE PRESSES!

Queue up the "speculation" .... cause ESPN is now reporting that Amato has just been fired at NC State. Many have believed that Cowher has been in negotiations with them for the past few months ......... we'll soon find out!

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina State coach Chuck Amato was fired Sunday, a day after the Wolfpack lost to East Carolina 21-16 -- their seventh consecutive loss to finish the season.

Thats just toooo easy:dang:

Steelers
11-26-2006, 11:35 PM
HOT OFF THE PRESSES!

Pretty much a sure thing that Amato will be Defensive Coordinator at Pitt. Can't stand Paul Rhoads.

In other news, Cincy's coach will be the new coach at MSU, so the Bearcats have an opening as well.

Stillers43
11-27-2006, 10:13 AM
If Cowher wants to stay, he will have the choice. Rooneys won't fire him. He will have to retire. But, I think he is good as gone. If the NC state job doesn't get filled early, he might be a great candiate. He has been a great coach, and I wish him well. Just hope he nevers goes to the Browns as some rumors stated. That would just be awful!

Buzz05
11-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Just hope he nevers goes to the Browns as some rumors stated. That would just be awful!

THAT WOULD BE BLASPHEMY!

I dont think Cower would go to another NFL team. Right away anyhow. If he retires he is gonna take some time off. After all isnt that why his family is in NC right now?

bradness113
11-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I want his ass out of here. He doesnt care about this team anymore and the only thing on his mind right now is his family and new beautiful home in Raleigh.

He shows no emotion anymore. He got his ring and trophy and now he got what he wanted.

COWHER:monkey:

RaleighBrownsFan
11-27-2006, 12:48 PM
My guess is he is going to go after the job here in Raleigh at NC State. It just makes too much sense. Bill and his wife are both NC State Grads, I believe his wife has family in the area. With Amato out now, it would be the most sensible move for Bill Cowher. Although, as much as us Browns Fans are fed up with these crappy seasons, don't be too suprised to see Mr. Lerner give Bill Cowher a call.

Raleigh

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
NC State will not pay more than the $2 million per Butch Davis is getting from UNC and probably was not going to dump Amato until he lost to UNC last week. I doubt Cowher has been planning on NC State losing its last 7 games to plot his next career move.

In an article yesterday, Ed.B. of the P-G said the Steelers might pay Cowher up to $6 million per but would not/could not match the $8 million per Cowher could bring in on the open NFL market.

For both financial and program quality issues (NC State is a mid-tier program in the ACC), no way Cowher goes to NC State.

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Whoever was doing the College Football coaching carousel segment on Cold Pizza said the Cowher is a possible candidate for NC State's Job.

sumo
11-27-2006, 02:31 PM
So what do you think? Will Coach Cowher step down after the season? Does it depend on how far the steelers go?

I want him to stay -- I like the Chin

ChronoCross
11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I want his ass out of here. He doesnt care about this team anymore and the only thing on his mind right now is his family and new beautiful home in Raleigh.

He shows no emotion anymore. He got his ring and trophy and now he got what he wanted.

This years cowher has been the most quiet person I have come to know. You can see in his face that its like when will this season be over, he is in retirement mode like a lot of people tend to get in when they know there going to retire. You have Redskins and Eagles Fans thinking they have a shot to get him. But they do not understand he is not going to coach the NFL after this season. Even if he does not coach at NC State which I believe that position has already been filled he will be doing something in NC State. Good Luck to Cowher. Cowher has brought us glory so I will not knock him. Bring on the Whiz, and fine a defensive Coordinator who will do something besides play are cornerbacks 20 yards off the WR and get some pressure on the opponents QB., Bye Dick Lebau, was great while it lasted. New coaching staff coming guys get ready for a new Era of Winning under someone new. I know Whiz turned down Oakland for a reason and I bet its to be are Head Coach. And I wonder who he will hire in for Defensive Coord. Man I wonder how many Coaches will jump to try and get the rains of the Steelers.

polamalufan43
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I have one question. Does anyone think Cowher will leave on a losing record?

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I have one question. Does anyone think Cowher will leave on a losing record?

Unless this team wins 4 of its last 5 games, yes.

Ambridge
11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Absolutely no way should Ken Whisenhunt be the next Steelers Head Coach.

Some of his game plans this season have had the resemblance of being drawn up on a Chuck E Cheese napkin the night before the game. He is only teasing us with a small amount of the stupidity he would dump on the Steelers if he would become the next HC.
The guy has gone from a "hot" head coaching candidate to a monkey throwing shit at other monkeys at the zoo.

Russ Grimm is another coach who just plain needs to leave town and never come back.

Aside from Dick LeBeau the entire coaching staff should be flat out released and over-hauled.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Agree with Ambridge

Whiz and/or Grimm will get a HC job somewhere else, but the more I watch this team the more I am convinced that 2005 was the end rather than the start of this current team's run.

There is a core of talent upon which to rebuild, but part of a return to success requires a fresh set of eyes to see what has gone wrong, to address major rework with the OL, LB and DB positions, and to draft players that match whatever offensive and defensive strategies are to be implemented (e.g. - Parker has talent but not in an offense that is based on getting the lead and then running a ball control/grind it out offense)

HometownGal
11-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Oh zip it for God's sake. The guy has been a winner most of his career here - were you saying the same thing on February 5, 2006? Did it ever occur to you that Cowher may simply be burned out after 15 years of coaching in the NFL? On another note - what would be so wrong with the man caring about his family and providing them with some added stability? Some of you people amaze me with your boneheaded remarks.

P.S. - Maybe you should write to Mr. Rooney and let him know that YOU want Cowher gone. I'm sure he is just waiting to hear from you so that a rational decision can be made.

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh zip it for God's sake. The guy has been a winner most of his career here - were you saying the same thing on February 5, 2006? Did it ever occur to you that Cowher may simply be burned out after 15 years of coaching in the NFL? On another note - what would be so wrong with the man caring about his family and providing them with some added stability? Some of you people amaze me with your boneheaded remarks.

P.S. - Maybe you should write to Mr. Rooney and let him know that YOU want Cowher gone. I'm sure he is just waiting to hear from you so that a rational decision can be made.

I bet you as much as people want him out, Rooney won't fire him. Cowher is in a Paterno Position. He's here as long as he wants to be.

Ambridge
11-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Whiz and/or Grimm will get a HC job somewhere else, but the more I watch this team the more I am convinced that 2005 was the end rather than the start of this current team's run.

You said a mouthful Dan!!

I think the Steelers future is heading into a valley as well and that last season was more like a dieing star flaming out with one final burst of brilliant light.

ARKIESTEEL
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Bills fire and drive has as much to do with the winning seasons we have had the past few years as anything. Let Bill stay as long as he wants.:thumbsup:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Accountability starts with the HC. This team is unfocused, undisciplined, and unmotivated. This for the most part is the same team that won a Super bowl last year, and now will be lucky to win six games?! If this is how he is going to coach Good Riddance.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Accountability starts with the HC. This team is unfocused, undisciplined, and unmotivated. This for the most part is the same team that won a Super bowl last year, and now will be lucky to win six games?! If this is how he is going to coach Good Riddance.

Agreed - it is too bad it is ending up this way but at least the new HC next season will not need to worry about unfavorable comparisons to Cowher's last year. Anyone paying attention can see Cowher's run has reached its end in Pittsburgh.

BigDuke6
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Bring on Jeff Fisher !!!!!

meelanova
11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
... Rooney won't fire him. Cowher is in a Paterno Position. He's here as long as he wants to be.

Agreed. He's tenured. I could careless whether he stays or not. I want just the team to give an effort when playing, regardless of who is at the helm.

meelanova
11-28-2006, 03:28 PM
... Rooney won't fire him. Cowher is in a Paterno Position. He's here as long as he wants to be.

Agreed. He's tenured. I could careless whether he stays or not. I just want the team to give an effort when playing, regardless of who is at the helm.

OneForTheToe
11-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Bring on Jeff Fisher !!!!!

I doubt that goes far here or in reality, but I like it.