PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu "Significant Knee Injury"

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Just reported on the post-game show with Wolf.

MACH1
11-26-2006, 04:20 PM
WHAT????

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 04:24 PM
It's being reported that Troy has a torn ACL/MCL and is done for the season.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2006, 04:27 PM
SHIT. Nothing went right AT ALL.

MACH1
11-26-2006, 04:27 PM
OHHH S**t Thats not good. At least it didnt happen with any hope of making the playoffs.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Well Troy's ****ed for next year.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
OHHH S**t Thats not good. At least it didnt happen with any hope of making the playoffs.

My concern...........Mr. McNabb had the same type of injury and it's being rumored that he won't be ready for the '07-08' season. Little scary?

BigDuke6
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
OK....OK....lets get Smith in and see if he can play. Lets get 'em all in and see who can play for next year.

MACH1
11-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Well Troy's ****ed for next year.

I didnt even think about that but your probably right:cloud:

70c10
11-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I swear I saw Troy on the sideline kind of late in the game and he looked like he was crying!. I thought I was imagining it, but day-um if he tore is ACL I would be crying too. I bet that hurts.

X-Terminator
11-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Man, this is just horrible news. An injury like that takes 8-12 months, minimum, to come back from, so it's entirely possible he may not be ready for the start of next season.

Consider this the icing on the cake of a very disappointing season.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Well, a major injury to a key player was what I dreaded in the second half; with troy's burst being the key to his game this is devastating news

klick81
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
GODDAMMIT.

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Can you say Kimo? Oops, I mean Karma.

MyCuz64Furness
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
WTF.......I watched the entire game and didn't see anything.......

Elvis
11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
GODDAMMIT.
:jawdrop:
Can I call for an infraction?
I hate to see this happen especially to our only super super star.. keep him in your prayers!:wave:

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Troy has a 5 year contract which runs out after 2007.

Since the Steelers practice is to lock up key players by pre-season of the last year of the contract and a knee injury is a dicey full recovery (Woodson and Lloyd were never the same), this creates an unanticipated dilemma to add to what already was going to be a very significant off-season. Troy was going to bust the bank with his new contrcat; now that is a much riskier proposition for the Steelers.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Well ****!

I can't believe it. The football gods hate us.........

klick81
11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Like I said earlier to someone i was watching the game with (and Preacher/wedosesteelers, you might not want to read this): The devil is cashing in for the deal SOMEONE made last season.

X-Terminator
11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Troy has a 5 year contract which runs out after 2007.

Since the Steelers practice is to lock up key players by pre-season of the last year of the contract and a knee injury is a dicey full recovery (Woodson and Lloyd were never the same), this creates an unanticipated dilemma to add to what already was going to be a very significant off-season. Troy was going to bust the bank with his new contrcat; now that is a much riskier proposition for the Steelers.

You would be correct, and no question the Steelers will use that as leverage in the contract negotiations. They'll likely see how soon he comes back from the injury and how well he plays after he comes back before deciding how much they want to pay him. It's simply smart business.

Infamix
11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I know this sounds crude, but if Troy has an ACL, (and I am actually very sorry about that), we should lock him up for a lesser price.

Elvis
11-26-2006, 05:19 PM
:smile: No one is reporting this injury on ESPNNEWS!!:wave:

BigDuke6
11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Like I said earlier to someone i was watching the game with (and Preacher/wedosesteelers, you might not want to read this): The devil is cashing in for the deal SOMEONE made last season.

I think you're right. Last year was so blessed that this year we just had to go off the rails like this.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Say a little prayer that it's not as serious as has been posted. If he's out a couple of games or even the season.....it's not a big deal to me. We need our big guns healed and strong for next year. Here's to an uneventful off season.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 05:23 PM
:smile: No one is reporting this injury on ESPNNEWS!!:wave:

On top of Wolf breaking the story, Bill Cowher just reported it during his news conference which I was watching after the game.

klick81
11-26-2006, 05:24 PM
On top of Wolf breaking the story, Bill Cowher just reported it during his news conference which I was watching after the game.

:banging:

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Ravens shut out Steelers, 27-0, Polamalu hurt
Sunday, November 26, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In his postgame press conference, head coach Bill Cowher revealed that All Pro safety Troy Polamalu has a "significant" knee injury.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06330/741457-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 05:28 PM
If they wait to see how well he plays into next season that is a big financial risk if he returns to form in terms of being able to keep him, but since this will be Troy's big contract putting down the big $$ he will expect while his performance is uncertain makes negotiatiosn next summer tough.

I know Troy gave a nice interview recently on how Pittsburgh has become home for his wife and him, but to the extent the bond usually is with coaches and teammates there is going to be major changing of the guard in Pittsburgh starting in Januray.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 05:31 PM
This makes me sick. To have all our big guns getting major injuries in a season that sucked so bad..........

MyCuz64Furness
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
If this is true.....I'm very ill.........we must have a black cloud over us:jawdrop:

Prosdo
11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
This is terrible news!!!

In Cowher We Trust
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
OH S***!!WE ARE SCREWED!

Preacher
11-26-2006, 07:05 PM

OKay people.... Kick in the money... Fly me to Heinz field so we can cast out the devils! To be honest, I was actually thinking the same thing a few weeks ago.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 07:10 PM
OKay people.... Kick in the money... Fly me to Heinz field so we can cast out the devils! To be honest, I was actually thinking the same thing a few weeks ago.

We need to perform an exorcism. I'm sure the Archdiocese of Pittsburgh will be happy to oblige.

steelerbackr4life
11-26-2006, 07:17 PM
As if the loss wasnt bad enough.I hope it is something that he will be able to recover from. To play the way he does with a rehabilitated knee after ACL surgery would be a herculean task.
I agree with the earlier post though if it is a substantial injury it will strengthen the Steelers negotiating position. Hopefully they will be able to work out somethingto keep him in black and gold.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm more upset about Troy's injury that I am losing the game.

CrimsonSteeler3443
11-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Terry Bradshaw just said it on the OT.

Sorry I didn't see the other thread about it. My bad.

steelerbackr4life
11-26-2006, 07:35 PM
So am I. Just when it was bad it got worse.

clarient
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
When it rains, it pours.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm more upset about Troy's injury that I am losing the game.

Agreed - for practical purposes the season was already over and I was among many predicting a Ravens win, so the latest lousy performance today is no stunner.

Maybe if Troy was a trash talking jerk I would just feel bad becuase of its impact on the Steelers but he seems incredibly grounded in reality for a pro athlete and I feel bad for him personally.

Hope it is not as bad as we fear and, if it willl require reconstructive surgery, that Troy's faith will give him strength to face whatever is ahead.

clarient
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
NOOOO TERRY! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

I'll reiterate from earlier... when it rains, it pours. :(

steelerbackr4life
11-26-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah I just saw it too

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Did Bradshaw elaborate or just repeat what Cowher said after the game about a "significant" knee injury?

CrimsonSteeler3443
11-26-2006, 07:42 PM
No he did not elaborate.

steelerbackr4life
11-26-2006, 07:43 PM
It was sad the shot of him on the sideline. I agree with you Godfather. It definitely isnt the position I imagined us being in when I when I bought my tickets for next weeks game.

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Did I mention Kimo? Oops I mean Karma?

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Can you say Kimo? Err, Karma!

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Good Luck in the Draft this year.

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Birds all the way!!!!

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
You are right, if we just had a defense maybe we would have a chance to go deep into the Post season. My coach's were probably right when they would always say "Defense Win's Championships", hence it is a shame that we don't have a DEFENSE. UNLESS OF COURSE WHAT YOU WITNESSED TODAY COULD BE CONSIDERED A DEFENSE! Drink more cheap Beer Idiot!

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Can you say Kimo? Err, Karma!

It wasn't funny when you posted it in another thread several hours ago and it is not funny now.

Coming on other teams boards to cheer for an injury says a lot about you, none of it good.

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
It wasn't funny when you posted it in another thread several hours ago and it is not funny now.

Coming on other teams boards to cheer for an injury says a lot about you, none of it good.

You are right, very low on my part. Sorry if I offended.

floodcitygirl
11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Did I mention Kimo? Oops I mean Karma?Did I mention A**hole??? No....I really mean A***hole????

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Nice!!!!

Go Ravens!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Merging with another thread.

X-Terminator
11-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Edited.

lilyoder6
11-26-2006, 09:14 PM
not really.. u hear a pop in ur knee and basically u can't walk on it... he was probably crying cuz it happened to him and we suck this yr.. i don't think he b f'ed for next yr.. i mean look at carson palmer who f'ed his knee up and like 7 months later started the season.. it all depends on how quickly he can heal

jrbull31
11-26-2006, 09:21 PM
not really.. u hear a pop in ur knee and basically u can't walk on it... he was probably crying cuz it happened to him and we suck this yr.. i don't think he b f'ed for next yr.. i mean look at carson palmer who f'ed his knee up and like 7 months later started the season.. it all depends on how quickly he can heal

Correct, but remember you are speaking about the "Carsonator!!!!" He can do anything including beat the Steelers on their turf two years in a ROW!:tt02:

holmes
11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Even if he tore his ACL/MCL , it won't be that bad. I tore mine twice in the same knee. The doctors will fix it, it's almost a routine now, just like tonsils. He will be back, the same High Flyin Hawaiian, just with a brace. With that brace, and the new ligaments he will play probably better than ever.

NV STEELERS 723
11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
when it rains ... it pours....he'll be back..he has a strong workout ethic

polamalufan43
11-26-2006, 10:08 PM
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_330185610.html

It's not much, but it's something.
I think he'll be back, when however, is another story.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Just something to think about:

Cowher said "Troy has...may have a signficant knee injury"

klick81
11-26-2006, 10:28 PM
At this point i'll hope for the best, expect the worse.

SteelersHoss
11-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Wake me when this nightmare of a season is over.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Whatever the extent of the injury is, we all know Troy is a warrior. He'll be back. Maybe not this season......but I don't feel so bad about that part right now. I hope Hines rests his injury, too. No sense in turning a minor injury into a potential career ending one for nothing at this point.

SwedishSteeler
11-26-2006, 10:32 PM
This is not a personal attack...really. It's just stating the obvious.

You and everyone else with your mindset sound like old grumpy constipated retired men....no joke.

edit:

post was posted a bit too late. I was reffering to the 'except the worse' post.

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for clearing that up...........I hate it when some calls me an old grumpy constipated retired man. :sofunny:

klick81
11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
This is not a personal attack...really. It's just stating the obvious.

You and everyone else with your mindset sound like old grumpy constipated retired men....no joke.

edit:

post was posted a bit too late. I was reffering to the 'except the worse' post.

Please...i wish i was retired. I guess i am grumpy tho...not constipated.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-26-2006, 10:59 PM
troy will heal faster than any player comming off this injury has ever heald before
just watch..........hes amazing.

tatchick
11-27-2006, 01:10 AM
This is going to be long and I appologize for it. As I started to write it I realized that I have more to say than I thought. I've gone through and read all the comments everyone has made in this thread about Troy's injury and a few things stand out to me. **First of all, everyone is assuming what the injury is and how long it is going to take for him to recover. All that the media is releasing so far is that Bill Cower has deemed it "significant." So maybe everyone should just calm down and stop making predictions for the next 2 years of the guys life. He may have not even had all of the medical tests yet to fully determine what is going on. **The second point I'd like to make (and maybe it's just because I'm a girl) is how vulgar it is for a lot of you to be talking about this from a financial standpoint. The guy got hurt, possibly seriously. How about we think about him and his wife and family and just take a few minutes to stop criticizing every aspect of this team and game and season and player and just hope that he is not in too much pain and will be ok. It's kind of making my stomach turn. When I think of any player getting hurt the first thing that pops into my mind is NOT dollar signs and what the significance of this is going to be a year from now. **My third point is just that what does all this criticism of the season and every aspect of it really do? When the Steelers win every fan is in their glory and has nothing bad to say about anyone. But now that this has been a rough season everyone is just doing nothing but talkin smack and it really does suck. These football players, coaches, trainers and staff are people...they aren't like walking versions of your little computer guys from Madden 2007. Don't you think as a professional athlete you hold yourself at a certain standard of performance, and if you aren't reaching your goals then you are already aware of and disappointed by it? I'm pretty sure that nobody on the team needs a Steelers fan to let them know that it's been a rough season. But all this criticism (from non professional athletes) just seems wrong. I understand completely that this is a forum for open discussions and that everyone is more than entitled to their opinion. I welcome that, it's fun for me as a journalism major. But what I don't enjoy is how after the Superbowl these athletes were gods in the eyes of so many and now that the season is not going to end as many hoped it would, everyone has a negative thing to say. Just something to think about...

MACH1
11-27-2006, 01:16 AM
I guess weve all be told. :nono:

MJ5150
11-27-2006, 01:20 AM
**The second point I'd like to make (and maybe it's just because I'm a girl) is how vulgar it is for a lot of you to be talking about this from a financial standpoint. The guy got hurt, possibly seriously. How about we think about him and his wife and family and just take a few minutes to stop criticizing every aspect of this team and game and season and player and just hope that he is not in too much pain and will be ok. It's kind of making my stomach turn. When I think of any player getting hurt the first thing that pops into my mind is NOT dollar signs and what the significance of this is going to be a year from now.

It certainly is nice to get all warm and fuzzy to think about Troy and his family when we found out about his "significant" injury. That applies to any player on the Steelers or any other team. I am concerned about him just like everyone else.

However......like many other fans here, I have learned that the NFL is a business. A business is about mkaing money. You can bet talks about $$$ will be going on plenty in the Steeler front office when the severity of this injury is determined. The fact of the matter is this......if this injury ends up being severe. It WILL cost Troy millions of dollars.

Sorry to be such a guy, and keep it real. You can go back to feeling sorry for his wife after you read this. :smile:

-Mike

tony hipchest
11-27-2006, 01:32 AM
This is going to be long and I appologize for it. As I started to write it I realized that I have more to say than I thought. I've gone through and read all the comments everyone has made in this thread about Troy's injury and a few things stand out to me. **First of all, everyone is assuming what the injury is and how long it is going to take for him to recover. All that the media is releasing so far is that Bill Cower has deemed it "significant." So maybe everyone should just calm down and stop making predictions for the next 2 years of the guys life. He may have not even had all of the medical tests yet to fully determine what is going on. **The second point I'd like to make (and maybe it's just because I'm a girl) is how vulgar it is for a lot of you to be talking about this from a financial standpoint. The guy got hurt, possibly seriously. How about we think about him and his wife and family and just take a few minutes to stop criticizing every aspect of this team and game and season and player and just hope that he is not in too much pain and will be ok. It's kind of making my stomach turn. When I think of any player getting hurt the first thing that pops into my mind is NOT dollar signs and what the significance of this is going to be a year from now. **My third point is just that what does all this criticism of the season and every aspect of it really do? When the Steelers win every fan is in their glory and has nothing bad to say about anyone. But now that this has been a rough season everyone is just doing nothing but talkin smack and it really does suck. These football players, coaches, trainers and staff are people...they aren't like walking versions of your little computer guys from Madden 2007. Don't you think as a professional athlete you hold yourself at a certain standard of performance, and if you aren't reaching your goals then you are already aware of and disappointed by it? I'm pretty sure that nobody on the team needs a Steelers fan to let them know that it's been a rough season. But all this criticism (from non professional athletes) just seems wrong. I understand completely that this is a forum for open discussions and that everyone is more than entitled to their opinion. I welcome that, it's fun for me as a journalism major. But what I don't enjoy is how after the Superbowl these athletes were gods in the eyes of so many and now that the season is not going to end as many hoped it would, everyone has a negative thing to say. Just something to think about...dont let litp see this post or he may beg for it to be locked. appearantly steelerfans are no longer allowed to say positive things about the steelers. we should all rejoice that polamalu is hurt as it gives us a better chance for a higher draftpick :rolleyes:. of course im being fecitious but to see steelerfans throwing in the towel now, when the season was pissed away weeks ago, bothers me.

it may not be PC to say this now, but i feel, worst case scenario, troy will be able to return and resume his hall of fame career. rod woodson did. and he was arguably the mvp on a sb winning team and the mvp on another team that reached the sb. troy will work hard and he will be back.

holmes
11-27-2006, 02:06 AM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Troy won't even need surgery, he just has a sprained MCL and no surgery will be required. They said he will probably miss a few games though. That's some good news. Here's the article.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06331/741544-66.stm

Preacher
11-27-2006, 02:17 AM
You are right, very low on my part. Sorry if I offended.

I will give props were props are due... It is big of you to admit and apologize. I was offended... and I accept your apology. thank you.

Elvis
11-27-2006, 08:20 AM
:tt02: :tt02:
Ravens 27
Steelers 0 ?
[SIZE="2"]
This is one of the worst performances in Steelers history and it is coming from a coach that just doesnt seem to give a hoot...:jawdrop: [/ SIZE]

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Thank Sirius Radio for the "ACL/MCL tear out for the season" rumor.

klick81
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
So when did it become NOT okay to criticize a team? Just a question.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Thank Sirius Radio for the "ACL/MCL tear out for the season" rumor.

No kidding - whatever happened to waiting for the medical report?

Of course, Cowher did not help matters with the "significant knee injury" quote, which was in line with Cowher's claim Okobi's neck problem in camp was "career threatening."

tony hipchest
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
No kidding - whatever happened to waiting for the medical report?

Of course, Cowher did not help matters with the "significant knee injury" quote, which was in line with Cowher's claim Okobi's neck problem in camp was "career threatening."

i was thinking the same thing. maybe cowher was talking about his career.

HometownGal
11-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry, guys, but I look at it first and foremost from a "female standpoint" (how is Troy himself, as well as his wife, handling this injury and setback), but as the Steelers are indeed a business above everything else, I can certainly see where everyone is coming from with regard to the financial aspects. The latest news on the severity of Troy's injury is quite encouraging in that he will not require surgery, but it is possible that he may miss the rest of the season, now tht we are headed into Week #13, and the team should prepare for that possibility. As I'm sure some of you know from your own experiences with sprains, they can sometimes take longer to recuperate from than an actual tear or a fracture. One of the pluses in Troy's case is that he is both physically and mentally conditioned and will do whatever it takes to get that knee rehabed and back into top playing shape. He's a trooper, no doubt about it. :thumbsup: Thanks for all of the updates! :cheers:

melroseplace
11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
One of the pluses in Troy's case is that he is both physically and mentally conditioned and will do whatever it takes to get that knee rehabed and back into top playing shape.

very good point