PDA

View Full Version : Would you hold out ?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Obviously its hard to imagine since most of us will never be in a position like Hines is right now or any other player.. but take for example what Ward is going thru now. Somebody throws, say almost 50 million at you...but ur agent tills you, we can get atleast 60 million if u hold out and stand ur ground, they'll come around. Meanwhile everyday your reputation is more and more tarnished and u make more and more enemies of the fans and ur team mates start to wonder if everything you ever preached is true.

Yeah, its a business and u have to look for yourself and get the best deal possible. I understand that, I know HInes wants what he feels is fair...but how much better can u live ur life on 60 million instead of 50 million ? I mean really !

BB2W
07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I would like to think I would never hold out. I try to honor my word, and my signature. It is a contract.....whats the point in them if you don't uphold your end of the bargain. If you are not happy with your contract, you should not have signed it. You only other option is to complete the contract and when it expires, you get all the money you can. If you think you are worth more money, then don't sign a five year deal.....you should sign a short term contract so you can prove yourself, and when it expires you get all the money you can.

That said, I think Hines situation is unique in that he has clearly out performed his contract. We have had him cheap, and he has been one of the best receivers in the league. I still think he should show up and play, and if it is all about the money.....break the bank with the Steelers or hit free agency.....

Prosdo
07-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't know thats a tough question. As BB2W said he did sign a contract that is his word, but at the same time you have to recall last year. Hines will be our top priority. The two sides have not spoke as much as they needed to. If I were Hines I have to say I would feel a little insulted. Maybe insulted is not the best word, but I think you get what I mean.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2005, 11:27 PM
I just think, u've got no right to hold out..nobody does, if u r under contract, and u outplay it..so be it, stick to your word, finish out your contract and then seek more compensation. There's nothing wrong w/ renogiating an extension in the middle, but when u hold out, that lowers ur honor and ur credability alittle if u ask me. If you're TO, people expect u to hold out becuz ur an ass and a selfish player.. If you're a Hines Ward, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, any other respected team player, people expect you to keep your word.

Prosdo
07-28-2005, 11:33 PM
True. I don't like it by any means, but in a way I can understand it. I have to say it does surprise me that he would hold out. I don't know it just never seemed like him. Anyway lets hope this deal gets done soon. I don't want to see this go too much longer. Nice sig change by the way Blitz.

BB2W
07-28-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't know thats a tough question. As BB2W said he did sign a contract that is his word, but at the same time you have to recall last year. Hines will be our top priority. The two sides have not spoke as much as they needed to. If I were Hines I have to say I would feel a little insulted. Maybe insulted is not the best word, but I think you get what I mean.

When they said Hines will be their to priority, that did not mean they would give him 60 million. It is a contract negotiation, and they offered him a very big deal....like 49 mil. If he feels he is worth more, he should finish out the deal and he can try to negotiate at the end of this year, or hit free agency.

I think the deal they offered him was very fair.....

This turned into another Hines thread, sorry. So.....Whould you hold out?

Prosdo
07-28-2005, 11:41 PM
I understand that. I was just refering to how negotiations were barely happening and when they did happen they stalled soon after. I do think they will come to an agreement. That is good money and I think he will probably end up taking it.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking that I know the STeelers front office and players read the message boards periodically and hopefully someone will see it and tell him about it to help inspire him to sign :D yeah its dumb I know, but I can dream cant I !

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Think of it this way too. The Steelers had to prioritize the draft picks and getting them to camp. they knew they'd have em all signed before camp, so they now have 2 solid months to concentrate on Hines alone and get it done. Its all strategy, they knew what they were doing.

Prosdo
07-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Good point. I guess I just don't like how this is going.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2005, 11:55 PM
none of us do. It sux big time !!!! You always think of the worst, and me being a bit of a pessimist doesnt help either :(

SteelerFanInATL
07-29-2005, 05:13 AM
That is a tough question considering the thread I made about what is more important?
The main thing that Hines has to complain about is the fact the last year the Steelers told him that he would be priority this year. All the draft choices are all signed, and here we
are 2 days away from training camp, talks just started this past monday, with only one offer, where is the priority. Ward has done all they have asked. Remember he was going to sit out last year at this time, until Cowher made the phone call. He has said that he does not want to break the bank just garanteeded money. They offered a 9 Mil bonus, he wants more like 12 Mil, give it to him and lets move on. Most of the time when the Steelers
are in this postion they have someone waiting in the wing who they have been grooming.
Not in this case. Hines Ward deserves the money so lets pay him and make that run for the Super Bowl for the next couple years. Now to answer the question, for me it would be a hard choice to hold out or not. The Steelers promised to make him priority and get him under contract which they have not done yet, but to sit out could mean missing out on a strong chance of going to the Super Bowl this year. Again I will ask which is more important, getting paid or winning the big game???

steelersgirl86
07-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Well at least we all know we want the same thing...Please Sign Ward......

ironcitychef
07-29-2005, 09:36 AM
wouldn't hold out. One its shows your true colors that sure money is your target. Two, it leaves a bad taste in the FO mouth, Three it doesn't advance you anymore in your contract so you don't become a FA or showcase your talents for that last year. Sign now or play hard and collect numerous offers for $10-12 million at the end of the year.

bengalsfan21
07-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Hell yeah I would hold out, if I was an explosive reciever like Hines I would get as much as I can...If the steelers wouldn't pay me 60 million and only offered me 50 it's almost guaranteed another team will give it too me....there is 31 other teams out there and half of them need a receiver.

LambertIsGod58
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I have to agree with SFin Atl...I'm not sure what's more important to Hines. I can't believe 50 million isn't enough. I love Hines, but we really don't need this. Not after the year we had.

Livinginthe past
07-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Hell yeah I would hold out, if I was an explosive reciever like Hines I would get as much as I can...If the steelers wouldn't pay me 60 million and only offered me 50 it's almost guaranteed another team will give it too me....there is 31 other teams out there and half of them need a receiver.

Would you go to the Bears or the Cardinals next year?
Unless I am mistaken no teams have any wiggle room on their salary cap for minor free agency signings - let alone the numbers Hines is alledgedly looking for.

Who knows? A good rookie WR may fall to the Steelers in next years draft...when you draft at 30 :rolleyes:

NM

bengalsfan21
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Would you go to the Bears or the Cardinals next year?
Unless I am mistaken no teams have any wiggle room on their salary cap for minor free agency signings - let alone the numbers Hines is alledgedly looking for.

Who knows? A good rookie WR may fall to the Steelers in next years draft...when you draft at 30 :rolleyes:

NM

If I was wanting the money I would go too the highest bidder, if I wanted respect I would stay where I was and if I wanted a super bowl ring I would go to the Patriots :D ....I wanted to say Bengals but thats a few years away.

TheTeenieSteeler
07-29-2005, 02:43 PM
They will work things out between them for sure. The Rooney's have to pay him. Yes if I was Hines I would hold out. Remember they worked out a"special" deal for Tommy. Come on Hines is a top 6 WR in the NFL. He does all the little things (block) he is very unselfish. Its time he gets rewarded for it. This is America you try to make as much as you can and I don't blame him for holding out. Its time he gets paid. He doesn't need camp either. The only thing this hurts is Big Ben not throwing to him during camp.

clevestinks
07-29-2005, 02:44 PM
If you give in to every Hines Ward, then the flood gates have opened. He was given a more than fair contract offer. He should not be considered the best receiver in the NFL. To us he is great, a great all round wide receiver. He and his agent know that they have the Steelers right where they want them. With Plax gone , he knows that we need him that much more. This is turning out to be highway robbery. I`m am curious to see what the Steelers think, were they planning on paying more? Are they embarrassed and insulted that he turned down the chance to be the highest paid Steeler ever?

atlsteelers
07-29-2005, 02:59 PM
i would hold out if:

- i was not being offered a fair contract,
- i played in a city like cleveland,
- if my qb was kyle boller

i would sign for $1 to get a chance to put on a steeler uniform and play for the greatest fans and franchise in the NFL

TheTeenieSteeler
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
This isn't T.O. who signs a contract one year and demands more the next year. This isn't Javaon Walker who has one good season and demands more money. This is Hines Ward the hardest working, a very dominent WR, and a class act. Its easy to say if I were Hines I would play for $500,000 this year. Thats crap I would hold out if I could get $12 mill up front and yearly salary int he millions. Who wouldn't?

Anyway Cleve I was told you are the person to find out about eating after practice in Latrobe. Any suggetions?

burghbaby
07-29-2005, 03:35 PM
he is greedy and selfish but thats not the side everyone see,only if you know him on a personal level, but all you see is the fake front that he puts on in front of the t.v. screen for all his interviews, like he is so perfect or something. Let him go to another team, he dont have that many years left in him anyway. He won't make or break the team, yeah he is an asset, but for you die hard steelers fans if they get rid of him are you saying that the team cant go on to a superbowl without him? I hope not, once again... money talks and bullsh*t walks... so walk on Ward. Deep down you know he still will be here somehow but hopefully someone else wants him and then ya'll can get a fresh, young WR next year!!!

TheTeenieSteeler
07-29-2005, 03:50 PM
There isn't that many good WRs in the league. You gotta hang onto this guy if you can. Greed....please........this is AMERICA.........the harder you are to be replaced the more bread you will bring home. That simple. That goes with any job out there. The harder you are to be replaced the more you will earn. Don't get mad at a guy for trying to have millions. Wouldn't you like those millions? When was the last time you talked to Hines? Since you know the "true Hines".

Ironman
07-29-2005, 04:33 PM
My take on this is very simple and is unique to the Steelers and perhaps the Panthers. Wide Recievers are not worth 50 million in this system. That's the bottom line. I love Hines Ward... but that 86 will fit over someone else's pads if need be.

bengalsfan21
07-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Come on you guys are complaining bc he wants to be paid........This man has carried your offense many times and you didn't complain too pay him nothing at all, he gave now he wants to get so I say you guys need to give now.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2005, 05:27 PM
My take on this is very simple and is unique to the Steelers and perhaps the Panthers. Wide Recievers are not worth 50 million in this system. That's the bottom line. I love Hines Ward... but that 86 will fit over someone else's pads if need be.

Literally speaking u r correct, they can make an 86 to fit anybody ;) ...but figuratively, I'd agree w/ one of our bengal friens there that Hines is a mainstay of this team. He's meant so much to the team for so long now, I'd be hard pressed to give that up without a good long fight to keep him.

I'd also agree that WR's in our offense are different than many. The fair market value is a grey area in our organization. Both sides need to agree and see that point and not until then will this get done.

SteelerFanInATL
07-29-2005, 07:28 PM

What can you do with 60 million that you can't do with 50 million????????????????? Just sign and play is what I say.

bengalsfan21
07-29-2005, 08:47 PM
What can you do with 60 million that you can't do with 50 million????????????????? Just sign and play is what I say.

A lot more.....If you get 60 mil you get 50 after taxes, unless you live out of the country which is what I would do, I would live in Mexico...In years too come the money will go away and 60 will last longer then 50.........would you rather have 50 thousand or 60 thousand, thats the same as 50 mil or 60 mil.........The more the better!!!!!

Prosdo
07-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Come on you guys are complaining bc he wants to be paid........This man has carried your offense many times and you didn't complain too pay him nothing at all, he gave now he wants to get so I say you guys need to give now.

I agree. Hines is a great player. As Blitz said I don't want to lose this guy. I don't think he is being unreasonable wanting his contract extension and wanting paid for his work. The problem is here we do not know the exact figures on the deal or what all the details are. We only have speculation and some its around figures. I don't want Ward to sit out, but I am not going to hate him over it if he does. I do think they will come to an agreement by the first maybe second week of camp. Maybe and hopefully even sooner.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Most of us arent complaining that he wants to be paid, he deserves it. If anybody does, he does.. but what we concerns us is the fact that he may want so much that we can't afford it when he knows what he means to this city, to the team, and to the fans all over the world. His role is unique, we depend on him in the running game too, don't forget that. He is HUGE, plain and simple..but there also has to be some give and take, some willingness to wheel and deal here on both sides.

Prosdo
07-30-2005, 12:31 AM
I completely agree. I think both side knows their importance to the other and I hope they come to see it is a win win situation if they compromise on this deal.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Right now, he feels like he's being slighted..either by his own thoughts or by that of his agent who is seeing dollar signs for the payday that Ward can expect when he signs. He'll come back to earth, so to speak Im sure..but when, that is question.

Prosdo
07-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Let's hope soon. I don't like this whole situation. I would just like Ward to be signed and everyone back again focusing on the run for the Super Bowl.

bengalsfan21
07-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Think about it if the steelers don't sign him too what he wants after so long of being paid shit, what other top notch reciever will you be able to get to go there....I don't see any of them doing it, not if they know they won't be paid.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2005, 11:43 AM
There is no other top notch WR available on the same wave length as Ward, so if he does hold out, he's still not gonna get to FA next year,and we'll suffer w/ the loss. Its a lose/lose situation !

bengalsfan21
07-30-2005, 02:14 PM
There is no other top notch WR available on the same wave length as Ward, so if he does hold out, he's still not gonna get to FA next year,and we'll suffer w/ the loss. Its a lose/lose situation !

I meant top notch reciever in the future, if you don't treat your recivers like they are as good as they are then nobody will want to play for you.