PDA

View Full Version : Still not sold on Willie at least not yet.

Carolina Steelers
11-26-2006, 06:12 PM
I understand he was the 5th leading rusher coming into todays game with 903 yds. But he just doesnt seem like the right fit to me yes he can be explosive when he bounces it outside but he is not consistent to me. When he's at home he avgs. over 100 yds per game but on the roads 40 yds. Just seems like its all or nothing to me either a great game or a lackluster game.

PalmerSteel
11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
i am sold on him. i think him, ward, and miller are the least of our worries on offense. when there is no holes there, no RB is getting much yardage.

ChronoCross
11-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I understand he was the 5th leading rusher coming into todays game with 903 yds. But he just doesnt seem like the right fit to me yes he can be explosive when he bounces it outside but he is not consistent to me. When he's at home he avgs. over 100 yds per game but on the roads 40 yds. Just seems like its all or nothing to me either a great game or a lackluster game.

Have yo looked at our offensive line lately. Look there before thinking of Willie. Offensive Line has been not blocking worth a crap all year. I think there needs to be adjustments don't you. Willie has had to fight most of the year for yards, not like other RBs who have clean holes to go thru. Have you not noticed what can happen if they give Willie a Hole. This years Offensive line is one of the worst in the league. Besides Houstons of course. Have you not paid attention to all the pressure Ben has been under this year and the sacks adding up left and right. Last year this line blocked, gave Ben time to throw this year, hey Ben is on his back again, hey look at that the hole that willie was going thru collapsed before the play started. Have you not noticed that normally when the line spreads out to the right are left they create a hole but this year oh no there is nothing going. Ya there is something wrong and a big part of it is the Offensive line. I do not care if they drop smith are another, they need to fix the offensive line.

Do not blame Willie.

ChronoCross
11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I think he's a good RB, but not so much when he's the ONLY option. People have figured out to stop him, unless our offensive line is blowing them off the ball. We need to mix it up a little, and things will open up a lot more for him. Perhaps using Davenport for more than one play a game would be a good start.

In the meantime, we need to remember that if you run for 12 yards on one play, one yard on the next and no gain on the next one, you're still at third-and-9, and that's no way to keep a drive going. You need to keep the defense guessing to some degree. Maybe once Cowher bails out on us, the new coach will figure that out.

Davenport is waiting on his next visit to the hospital, he is not the answer.

Infamix
11-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Carolina Steelers, please look at our offensive line before blaming Willie.

Carolina Steelers
11-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I understand as the line goes so does the running game. But also understand that the holes might not be there you got to make some guys miss and also all his yds are mostly off tackle how about those tough 3 or 4 yds in the middle of the line. I didnt say I blame Willie Just sayed I'm not sold on him. Not sure if he is an top tier RB yet.

wiqidjuggalo
11-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Have yo looked at our offensive line lately. Look there before thinking of Willie. Offensive Line has been not blocking worth a crap all year. I think there needs to be adjustments don't you. Willie has had to fight most of the year for yards, not like other RBs who have clean holes to go thru. Have you not noticed what can happen if they give Willie a Hole. This years Offensive line is one of the worst in the league. Besides Houstons of course. Have you not paid attention to all the pressure Ben has been under this year and the sacks adding up left and right. Last year this line blocked, gave Ben time to throw this year, hey Ben is on his back again, hey look at that the hole that willie was going thru collapsed before the play started. Have you not noticed that normally when the line spreads out to the right are left they create a hole but this year oh no there is nothing going. Ya there is something wrong and a big part of it is the Offensive line. I do not care if they drop smith are another, they need to fix the offensive line.

Do not blame Willie.

I have to say i TOTALLY AGREE!!!

ANd dont go blaming Ben either...

Infamix
11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I understand as the line goes so does the running game. But also understand that the holes might not be there you got to make some guys miss and also all his yds are mostly off tackle how about those tough 3 or 4 yds in the middle of the line. I didnt say I blame Willie Just sayed I'm not sold on him. Not sure if he is an top tier RB yet.

In fairness to CarolinaSteelers he did not BLAME Willie, he's not sold on him. Trust me though, Willie will perform as the o-line gets better because he can make plays. He's just a natural.

BigDuke6
11-26-2006, 07:33 PM
It ALL starts with the O-Line. They stink. Plain and simple, they stink.

Livinginthe past
11-26-2006, 08:22 PM
There are alot of fundamental problems with this Steeler team - Willie has been the one real consistent bright light this season.

He isn't going to rush for 100 yards every sgame, and when he doesn't he needs his QB, his O-Line, his and his ST to raise their game.

This year they haven't.

Ravens are a rock solid run defense, but with the way the D played today against a solid Ravens D the Steelers found themselves in too many positions where they couldnt commit to the run like they needed to.

Willie Parker is the last place this teams needs to start re-assessing.

How about that over-rated O-Line and underwhelming Defense?

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2006, 08:29 PM
There are alot of fundamental problems with this Steeler team - Willie has been the one real consistent bright light this season.

He isn't going to rush for 100 yards every sgame, and when he doesn't he needs his QB, his O-Line, his and his ST to raise their game.

This year they haven't.

Ravens are a rock solid run defense, but with the way the D played today against a solid Ravens D the Steelers found themselves in too many positions where they couldnt commit to the run like they needed to.

Willie Parker is the last place this teams needs to start re-assessing.

How about that over-rated O-Line and underwhelming Defense?

NM

Great post LITP and I agree with everything you said in this post. So true about the Oline and underwhelming defense.

Ambridge
11-26-2006, 08:43 PM
How many times are we gonna have this freakin discussion???

Willie is a more than adequate running back the only thing that the Steelers have been lacking is a respectable "complimentary back" to give Willie a blow and to pound the ball in short yardage.

I think what defenses are starting to do against the Steelers is blitz more on every down which will take Willie out of the game and get pressure on the QB if the play turns out to be a pass.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Well Max Starks always has been bad. He is just worse this year. For Simmons he just isn't the same anymore since having all those health issues in the past. Jeff Hartings age is catching up with him.

ytsan2q
11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm sold on him. It's hard for him to be effective when you're constantly playing from behind causing him to get less than 20 carries.

NV STEELERS 723
11-26-2006, 09:59 PM

Our OF line speaks for themselves.....

MACH1
11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm sold on him. It's hard for him to be effective when you're constantly playing from behind causing him to get less than 20 carries.

Its hard to run when theres no blocking

brind666
11-27-2006, 03:00 AM

i totally agree with you... willie is NOT a steelers rb... he breaks no tackles and can ONLY run on the outside..................!

Elvis
11-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Maybe not in the long term. But using Willie as your speed back, your power back, your third-down back and your goal-line back isn't the answer either. You need to change things up, and Davenport and Douche Staley are what we have to work with right now.

"Douche Staley" Now that is Awesome Baby!!
Now, to Willie not being our RB..
I love Willie and I wish he could stay here and be our leading RB but as long as our O Line is blocking like Pee Wee Leaguers it ISNT gonna matter who our RB's are..

SteelerFanInATL
11-27-2006, 08:51 AM
I also am not sold on W.P. as our full time back. I love his speed and what he brings to the table, but far too many times have I seen him hit the hole and it looked like he ran into a brick wall. I'm not talking about just this year, last year also. If Willie P. is going to be out there he needs someone else to share the load with him. Davenport could be the answer, remember he did not arrive with a full T.C. under his belt. With this season and the off season under his belt he could do well. If thats not the way we go for next year, we really need to look at the draft or a F.A.

Infamix
11-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I also am not sold on W.P. as our full time back. I love his speed and what he brings to the table, but far too many times have I seen him hit the hole and it looked like he ran into a brick wall. I'm not talking about just this year, last year also. If Willie P. is going to be out there he needs someone else to share the load with him. Davenport could be the answer, remember he did not arrive with a full T.C. under his belt. With this season and the off season under his belt he could do well. If thats not the way we go for next year, we really need to look at the draft or a F.A.

Sorry, not true at all. I've seen Willie break alot of tackles and make plays...even LITP would agree with me, because I know he's seen it happen.

BritishSteel
11-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Parker's just one weapon, and he's being asked to carry far too much at the moment - he's never gonna punch a hole in an opposition's D-line because he isn't big enough, which means if our O-Line doesn't do the job he goes outside or nowhere. Hardly his fault if there aren't any holes for him to run through. I would say, though that having a back capable of punching three yards through a crowd is something we don't have at the moment and it makes our run attack one-dimensional and that's to no-one's benefit, least of all Willie's. I think Parker is the real deal and is a quality pro back, but I do think there's a need to look at the RB in the close season to see if we can pick up a power back through cheap FA or as a day two draft pick, if only to take some of the weight of Parker's shoulders.

Stillers43
11-27-2006, 10:00 AM
I like Willie a lot! He just needs more holes. We need to draft an stud OL!

Hines0wnz
11-27-2006, 12:09 PM
HOGWASH! Willie had over 1,000 yards last year and will easily outgain that this year. If the O-line had been playing just average he would probably be the league leader and break Barry Foster's club record. I am frankly sick of this discussion as there is more wrong with this team than thinking Willie isnt the right back for the Steelers. The Bus is gone, get over it!

Livinginthe past
11-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Sorry, not true at all. I've seen Willie break alot of tackles and make plays...even LITP would agree with me, because I know he's seen it happen.

Even LITP? :toofunny:

As I mentioend on another thread I was impressed with Willie's first 10 runs against the Saints even though they only accounted for 26 of his 213 rushing yards that day.

He was repeatedly hit behind or on the LOS and took the first hit, and gave a second push for more yardage.

As I said, the 70 yard runs get the headlines, but turning a 3 yard loss into a 3 yard run had a large impact on the 2nd down play call and ultimately the drive and the odds of scoring on it.

I've seen enough from Willie to know he is a genuine starting NFL back this year - he is definitely round the top5 mark - which can only improve with playing time.

As I say, there are much larger causes for concern than the RB - WR, O-line and DB spring to mind.

NM

ChronoCross
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I love Willie and I think if we re vamp the line bring in another WR that can pull Double Coverage like Ward does that would take another DB down the field. You would see a big difference.

sumo
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Willie is getting better all the time - he has the potential to be one of the top two or three in the league - if he stays healthy and continues his off season regimen, and we fix the O-Line with a few minor tweaks, he will be unstoppbale next year!!

jaysta
11-27-2006, 11:47 PM
How about the game plan?

I don't disagree that Parker's a quality back. I just think we could use him a lot more effectively if we didn't ask him to do everything.

Excellent point SR. Willie really did become a quality back, but Steelers football has always been based off of the "ground and pound" mentality. If we had a quality third down back Willie would be even more effective than he has been so far this year. The Ravens run D just handed it to the Steelers yesterday so it's hard to tell from that game. On another note though, I do like Willie's work in the red zone....Ben should never have thrown the ball down near the end zone yesterday....that's Willie's territory now. Play calling, play calling, play calling@!$#@! :helmet:

Steelersfan4life0655
11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Willie is something fresh. style and everything. Ive read about players from other teams talking that willie is quite hard to bring down than your average small back. he brings speed that can turn a 5 yard run into a 40, 50, 60 plus run for touchdown. he's got power that will surprise people. we need to do something to that offensive line, you are only as good as the offensive line, unless you are barry sanders. but willie is a great back, he shows the patients for the hole, has the speed to turn the corner and occasionally take you out. he will be in the top 3 backs in a few years. just wait and see. he's still young:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

t-mill
11-28-2006, 12:11 AM
If Staley would ever get healthy and stay healthy...
Davenport will get there...
I feel like Staley is built to be the type of situational back that all of us are looking for, his legs just aren't coming around, so he's basically sitting on a valuable roster spot...
There is nothing, I mean nothing wrong with Parker. You put LaDanian Tomlinson in our backfield and he wouldn't do much better, if any better. You can't run for many yards when you're getting wrapped up by 300lb linemen. I know it's been said, but there's no holes for the guy. I've seen Parker break tackles in the secondary countless times... I would love to see Parker run out his entire career in Pittburgh... but like others have said... he needs a big guy to take over once and a while...