PDA

View Full Version : Steelers playoff scenarios.

bozz723
11-27-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok. Yea I need a "reality" check. Enough of that talk. I don't care about reality. I care about what is possible and what could happen.

So lets discuss steeler playoff scenarios. They hae to go 9-7. But what else has to happen for us to get into the playoffs ? There are tie break rules and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be more than one team at 9-7. So if someone is kind enough to map out the steelers playoff chances at 9-7, please do it.

I just don't have the time at this moment.

MJ5150
11-27-2006, 03:55 AM
There are tie break rules and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be more than one team at 9-7.

The first tie breaker is head to head. We have lost to a few of the teams ahead of us, so we are screwed in a few of the head-to-head tie breakers. If we end up tied with a team we did not play, the next tie breaker is winning record against conference teams.

It will take a couple more weeks for this to shake out further. If we are going to include the Steelers in the playoff hunt, then we need to include every team with our record and better. At this time, besides the current division leaders, that is eight teams.

-Mike

ChronoCross
11-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Ok here how it goes; If we win out and go 9-7.

If there is only 1 spot left;
We cannot win a tie breaker against Denver, Jags, Jets

We can however win tie breaker against KC, and Bengals. Now we do need the Ravens to beat the bengals.

There will be 2 spots open for fight if Denver Looses 4 out of 5 of there last games to put them at 8-8.

KC and Jags if ether win 3 games were done. Im pretty sure Denver is not going to loose 4 games even tho there is some teams that are fighting for the playoffs they play and they have 3 of there last 5 at home. Now the Bills are in a better spot then we are and depending on conference record by the end of season could be a tie also. We would have to look if it came to that point.

I seriously doubt we make it but it can happen. I would laugh if we did make it and after paying back ravens at home making it to the ravens again and putting them out of the playoffs in there own home would be the sweetest thing could ever happen to shut them up and put a nail in there ass..

So lets hope for the best.

Elvis
11-27-2006, 08:00 AM
:tt02: :tt02:
Steelers Play-offs hopes ARE GONE
Now, understand this... I love the Steelers more than any sport team there is and I am not giving up on our franchise just yet...NEVER..
But we need to also think about our future.. the '07 Draft is coming up in April and we need some high draft picks.. that means as bad as I hate to say it... we need losses
Imagine.. we get a top 4or5 pick and with the talent that is already here and with Ben not having another offseason like last and we are right back in the super bowl hunt next year...:wave:

slashsteel
11-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Win out ? Let us just play one game at a time. And throw some backups into the mix with some open competition.

Infamix
11-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Winning out would just be what the Dolphins did last year, waste a high draft pick.

stlrtruck
11-27-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm sorry but playing for a draft pick is what pathetic teams do. What teams that are use to losing do. We, the STEELERS, are not that type of team nor should we be that type of fan. Another high draft pick won't do anything for the lack of chemistry that is missing from the 2006 version of the Steelers.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 09:36 AM
In the immortal words of Jim Mora, Sr.

PLAYOFFS??? PLAYOFFS??!!

NM

Mosca
11-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I think that you hurt your team far more by not trying to win games than the difference between the 8th pick and 13th pick is worth. Winning is contagious, and so is losing; that's what hurt us this year, that losing is contagious. In the long run you always do better by winning as much as you can.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 10:38 AM
I think that you hurt your team far more by not trying to win games than the difference between the 8th pick and 13th pick is worth. Winning is contagious, and so is losing; that's what hurt us this year, that losing is contagious. In the long run you always do better by winning as much as you can.

Agreed - however, while the 2000 team that missed the playoffs started slow and then played well through the end of the season, building a foundation for 2001, the 1998 and 1999 teams fell apart completely after being eliminted from serious playoff consideration.

The question is whether this team has the pride to play well (especially since this head coach will not be deciding who stays next year) or packs it in.

Not a good sign that self-proclaimed leader Joey Porter bolted without speaking to the media after yesterday's disaster. It is easy to be talkative when you are winning; maybe Porter can quit his pre-game clown act and discuss what has gone wrong.

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Ok here how it goes; If we win out and go 9-7.

If there is only 1 spot left;
We cannot win a tie breaker against Denver, Jags, Jets

We can however win tie breaker against KC, and Bengals. Now we do need the Ravens to beat the bengals.

There will be 2 spots open for fight if Denver Looses 4 out of 5 of there last games to put them at 8-8.

KC and Jags if ether win 3 games were done. Im pretty sure Denver is not going to loose 4 games even tho there is some teams that are fighting for the playoffs they play and they have 3 of there last 5 at home. Now the Bills are in a better spot then we are and depending on conference record by the end of season could be a tie also. We would have to look if it came to that point.

I seriously doubt we make it but it can happen. I would laugh if we did make it and after paying back ravens at home making it to the ravens again and putting them out of the playoffs in there own home would be the sweetest thing could ever happen to shut them up and put a nail in there ass..

So lets hope for the best.

Let's hope it happens. Even if it doesn't. a 9-7 or 8-8 record isn't anything to be mad about.

Need4spd
11-27-2006, 11:06 AM

PLAYOFFS??? PLAYOFFS??!!

NM

LOL!!! That's funny!!! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Hines0wnz
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
August 2007 we will be 0-0 like everyone else in the NFL, my best case scenario. :bouncy:

MACH1
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Maybe next year

ChronoCross
11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Some people like to see some type of hope to make the playoffs right now and look for anything that might help eas the hurt of what a SB high has done to us. So if they want to believe there is a chance for us to make it let them have that hope. Do not tear that away from a fan. I know that in my mind that the playoffs is to far out of reach but if someone ask is there a chance and break it down a bit for them and show the light do not try to be a homor fan and down them anymore. So if we win next week we can look at who lost and try another break down and see if we moved up any. Never say never, and never be a fan who wants the team to loose out to get a better draft, teams like that are sorry.

Hamer
11-27-2006, 02:21 PM
As a lifelong fan- I've heard similar things said before, but unfortunately I am also recuced to WATCHING one-game-at-a-time. I'd really rather not try to figure out the math or probabilities of playoffs at this point. I just want to enjoy watching my Black-n-Gold duke it out, and let things work themselves out however they do.
I look at it this way, I made it through the late 80's, I can make it through this.

MJ5150
11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
... we need losses

Take your blasphemy, and get out of here! :smile:

The Steelers are not that kind of franchise.

-Mike

sumo
11-27-2006, 02:29 PM

PLAYOFFS??? PLAYOFFS??!!

NM

:sofunny: I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Take your blasphemy, and get out of here!

The Steelers are not that kind of franchise.

-Mike

Amen to that.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
We do not deserve to be in the playoffs!!!

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Nonexistent!

Hines0wnz
11-27-2006, 07:44 PM
... we need losses

You sure you arent a Lion or Cardinal fan? That is their mid season battle cry and we all know how their high draft picks have turned those teams around.

stillers4me
11-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Steelers playoff scenarios...........win more games next year.

touchdownward
11-27-2006, 08:56 PM

PLAYOFFS??? PLAYOFFS??!!

NM
That's hilarious and you beat me to it. :smile:
I was going to screech like and bird and say PLAYAFFS!!! YOU GUYS TALKIN' ABOUT PLAYAFFS!!!!

Also, to hell with the notion of losing the rest of the games for higher draft choices, I don't want to lose another one this season. I will NEVER pull for our boys to lose.
The Steelers have been very good about finding talent lower in the draft anyways.

Kermit
11-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately, this is the price of being in the AFC, where 9-7 doesn't quite cut it (and being hypothetical gains nothing).

At this point, I'd be happy with just a winning record, or close to it. Plus, playing for a draft pick isn't Steelers football, and we'll be getting a good one like it or not.

The only thing left to play for is respect, which is still something, simply not a trophy.

MJ5150
11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, if we get off to a hot start and keep the injuries to a minimum, we should be alright......next year!!

-Mike

ChronoCross
11-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Team is playing with no heart and motivation all year long, and I doubt they start now. So even 9-7 is a far reach for us. I only hope when it comes to the ravens game we can at least try to return the what they done to us. And I am hoping that the last game against the Bengals is for there only playoff hope and we take it from them. Even tho they might finish 8-8 looking at there remaining games. If we made the playoffs I would probably have a heart attack.

bradness113
11-28-2006, 07:38 AM
we need a new coach. Cardboard Bill aint cuttin it. BRING ON THE WHIZZZZZZ

ChronoCross
11-28-2006, 07:42 AM

LOL do not worry that is coming. 2007 Season will be filled with plenty of new coaches. From Defense to Special Teams, to Offense and yes a brand new Head Coach. Actually there is a lot of people I have talked to lately that do not like the ideal of the Whiz taking over. But hey he turned down the Raiders for a reason.

plenewken
12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
So if someone is kind enough to map out the steelers playoff chances at 9-7, please do it.
I just don't have the time at this moment.

Our chances to reach the playoffs this year are ZERO, NIENTE, NADA, ZILCH.

j-dawg
12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
welcome to my world....

now.. the browns chances of beating the steelers thursday are much more foreseeable!

SteelShooter
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM
:banging: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....................... :coffee:

Aw, to Hell with it, let's just go one game at a time and shoot for being over .500.

We are not at ease with losing, that is not our style, nor our way of thinking.

Win what you can and have your Honor in knowing that you did everything you could for the season. If you do not make the playoffs, oh well.

What is meant to be..........will be.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Of course all of this is contigent upon us winning out....(which I hate to say is unlikely):headshake:

tony hipchest
12-04-2006, 12:27 PM
:banging: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....................... :coffee:

Aw, to Hell with it, let's just go one game at a time and shoot for being over .500.

We are not at ease with losing, that is not our style, nor our way of thinking.

Win what you can and have your Honor in knowing that you did everything you could for the season. If you do not make the playoffs, oh well.

What is meant to be..........will be.hell yeah, no since in throwing in the towel like the bottom feeding carp of the nfl, scrounging for high draft picks. thats what teams like the texans do.

Hines0wnz
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM

Just say no to whiz.

:monkey:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
....We can get by a 9-7 Denver team if KC is also 9-7 and wins the tiebreaker against Denver, because when there are 3+ teams from different divisions they break ties within the division first and then go from there....

Good call on the Denver info...hadnt considered that scenerio...but I still doubt out ability to beat Ravens/Bengals

LambertLunatic
12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
we need losses

You took a beating for that statement, but I understand where you're coming from. A top 10 draft pick (and earlier picks in the later rounds) would help the team next year. There's only 1 flaw in your logic. During the 80's I'd hope for losses after we were eliminated, but once the games actually started I just couldn't bring myself to root for the opposition. Maybe it has something to do with the laws of physics or the theory of relativity, but it is virtually impossible for a Steeler fan to root against his team, even if it might help the team in future years.

MJ5150
12-04-2006, 01:49 PM
......it is virtually impossible for a Steeler fan to root against his team, even if it might help the team in future years.

I can not comprehend how a fan of ANY team can go to a game or watch it at home and sit there and hope for your team to lose. Bizarre......

-Mike

james203
12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
denvers rookie qb didnt look impressive to me at all.denver and kc is 7-5 & the steelers still have a slim chance BUT they gotta beat clev,carolina,ravens & bengals & we need some help.its not over till the fat lady sings !!

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey, I'll be happy is we beat Cleavland, Cinci, and the Ratbirds. Beating at least 2 out of 3 will give me joy :jammin:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

t-mill
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I think that if we win out, which I believe we can definitely do... than with some help we still have a chance. I can understand people who think that our chances are unlikely, even highly unlikely, but they're not unlikely enough to settle for talking about draft picks... I don't think anyone drafts better than the Steelers, anyway, so I'd take an 8-8, or 9-7 season with the 16th pick over 5-11 and a 7th or 8th pick anyday

fansince'76
12-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Win out, go 9-7, see what happens. All we can do at this point.

fansince'76
12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
denvers rookie qb didnt look impressive to me at all.

Me neither - all the talk going into that game here in Denver was that Cutler looked great in preseason. Thing is, most anybody would against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers playing vanilla defensive schemes.