View Full Version : Painful reminder

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Painful reminder

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 27, 2006

BALTIMORE

The performance was indeed "pitiful," as coach Bill Cowher so accurately assessed, but the truly sobering aspect of what transpired on Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium is the beating the Steelers absorbed could not be attributed to a lack of effort.

"There's no doubt that we took this as do or die," center Jeff Hartings said in the aftermath of what matched the worst shutout the Steelers have endured in the 15-season Cowher Era. "We're not dumb. We know how many games we're behind. We don't need anybody to tell us. We don't need to talk about it.

"Every single guy knew what we had to do today and every single guy gave their all."

And still it ended with the Ravens winning, 27-0, and it wasn't nearly as close as that final score might indicate.

"It's tough to see them beat us the way we wanted to beat them," Hartings added.

That would be unmercifully.

The Ravens yanked running back Jamal Lewis and quarterback Steve McNair early, but that was more a concession to their having to play again on Thursday night in Cincinnati than it was an easing up on the accelerator.

"They didn't stand a chance," Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "We knew they weren't going to quit, but we just had to keep our foot on their throats for as long as we could."

The Ravens' relentlessness extended beyond the two-minute warning, as they sacked quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for the ninth time on third-and-10 from the Baltimore 23-yard line with 1:44 to play and then intercepted Roethlisberger for the second time on the following snap.

This one had seemingly been decided in less time than it took fatigues-clad linebacker Joey Porter to exit the Steelers' locker room (he left as the media was permitted entry). The Ravens forced a three-and-out following the opening kickoff and then marched 56 yards in 3:06 for a 7-0 lead.

An insurmountable one, as it turned out.

The rest of the day was devoted to viciously blasting the Steelers into submission, particularly Roethlisberger, who was knocked from the game briefly after being hammered by unblocked linebacker Bart Scott.

"That's probably the hardest I've ever been hit in my life, I truly feel that way," Roethlisberger said. "I didn't see the guy coming. He came clean, hit me front-side. I just kinda remember my head hitting the ground. He just knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't really breathe very well.

"I just had to lay there for a second."

Where was Mickey yelling, "Stay down, kid!" when Big Ben needed him?

Running back Willie Parker was supposed to pick up Scott's blitz on the play, but Parker turned his attention inside as the Scott-free waltz to the pocket materialized.

It was that way all afternoon, as protection leaks continued to spring up and the Steelers invariably were left with not enough ways to plug them.

At one point they even tried keeping tight end Heath Miller in the backfield with running back Najeh Davenport on a third-and-forget-about-it attempt in the third quarter, and still Roethlisberger got smeared by linebacker Adalius Thomas on what somehow wound up as an incompletion rather than another sack.

The Ravens' domination was as complete as it was revealing.

The Steelers were the best in the business a season ago, but they've become just another team with no recourse when it finds itself on the business end of assaults such as Sunday's.

There really is a fine line between the two, but the Steelers have crossed it.

And their free fall has carried them well beyond the point of no return.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_481483.html

tony hipchest
11-27-2006, 12:49 PM
atleast for the 1st time this season i dont feel like the steelers gave the game away on a silver platter.

i thought the steelers would go 12-4 this season and this was 1 of the games i thought we were likely to lose (in a hard fought battle of course)

i cant wait to see the gameplan for the rematch. :rolleyes:

i predict the 1st play will be a run up the middle with willie. 2nd play a short dump off pass to kreider. 3rd play another run by willie. punt.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
atleast for the 1st time this season i dont feel like the steelers gave the game away on a silver platter.

i thought the steelers would go 12-4 this season and this was 1 of the games i thought we were likely to lose (in a hard fought battle of course)

i cant wait to see the gameplan for the rematch. :rolleyes:

i predict the 1st play will be a run up the middle with willie. 2nd play a short dump off pass to kreider. 3rd play another run by willie. punt.

Followed by Sams returning the punt for a TD assuming Gardocki does not kick it out of bounds 30 yards downfield.

MACH1
11-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Followed by Sams returning the punt for a TD assuming Gardocki does not kick it out of bounds 30 yards downfield.

And Ben peeling himself off the turf all day long.

tony hipchest
11-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Followed by Sams returning the punt for a TD assuming Gardocki does not kick it out of bounds 30 yards downfield.i thought we would just assume the ravens will come out and try to establish the run as we watch mcnair throw the ball downfield in 4 straight completions for a td.

maybe we can recruit webster or gary coleman to cover todd heap. :chuckle:

MACH1
11-27-2006, 01:02 PM
i thought we would just assume the ravens will come out and try to establish the run as we watch mcnair throw the ball downfield in 4 straight completions for a td.

maybe we can recruit webster or gary coleman to cover todd heap. :chuckle:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :flap:

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I couldn't say it any better. That was just pitiful.

stlrtruck
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Let's go with the no huddle the entire game in Dec and ruin their Christmas!
It's the least the Steelers could do for us fans!