PDA

View Full Version : the best thing for next season and beyond

tony hipchest
11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
...is that the steelers are not in salary cap hell, and have not mortgaged their future to make a repeat run this season. this team will not have to be blown up. we dont have millions of dead money, and we dont have to start from scratch and live through 5 years or so of sucking like we saw from the 49ers, cowboys, ravens, and titans after their time on top.

MACH1
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
I'd start with cutting the fat.....like the towel boy

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Staley is the first I'd get rid of.

steelerbackr4life
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Definitely a good start. Too bad they didnt get rid of him when there was another team in Pennsylvania willing to take his salary. We probably could have gotten a pick also

tony hipchest
11-27-2006, 12:33 PM
the departure of staley, wilson, and hartings will free up alot of money. probably 8 mil. i think we will be out from under jeromes contract, plus the salary cap is due to increase again. the future is still bright... :cool:

steel58
11-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Sice we are going to get rid of Duce anyway, let's play him in the road games, since Willie can't seem to get it going!

Hamer
11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think Duce should start - I have a sneaky suspicion that the coaches were relying on Duce to come back this year and be the grinder, aka Bus, and he let them down big time by showing up out of shape and not at all ready to play. Willie's great as a home run hitter but he can't get you the 3-4 yard runs when everyone knows it's coming. As for Staley, he's lucky he's still on the team at all and wasn't shown the door, Jamain Stevens style. If there's anybody who should play more I'd go with Haynes -- maybe he can develop into the one thing that's been missing this year that we've had almost every year since Cowher took over- a work horse back.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't think Duce should start

You guys are missing the point. Duce Staley will never ever play football for the Pittsburgh Steelers again. PERIOD. I would rather watch Kuhn average 2.4 yards per carry than watch Duce average 2.6 yards per carry.

Simmons and Starks. Their days are numbered.

steelerbackr4life
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
The upside to that would be if he has a decent showing the chaces of us getting more for him increase.
Of course the downside is if he has a lousy game you write off his salary to charity.

stlrtruck
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Start Duce, let him earn his pay check. Damn, I could sit on the sidelines and model sweat suites for about 25% of what he's getting paid to do it. I'd even carry water on the field during time outs!!!!

ChronoCross
11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
If we are to be competitive for next season and beyond we have to re vamp the offensive line and get rid of Starks, Smith, and Hartings the old giant, who use to block for barry sanders in his early days is done and should be gone. Starks and Smith get blown up every game. We need to hope that Holmes can be a present on the field to were he needs Doubled up on like Ward. Wilson has to go, bring in someone who does not cry and makes every effort to get the ball and not drop it. Washington young still might turn out great for us in the long run. We still have not seen what Reid can do so I imagine we will pick up another WR in the Draft around the 3rd round up. I look for us to take offensive linemen in the 1st 5th and 7th round. We have young offensive linemen grooming on the bench and maybe out of all that we can put together a line that can block and keep Ben off his back. Also with the time off, Ben can actualy heal up and get ready for next season. Draft we will also look at Corners, and LBS. Townsend will be gone and well Porter stay will not be to long, Rooney's will not pay Porter what he wants so he will be somewhere else. In a SB slump even some of our best players looked bad and in slumps, so Ike, Mcfadden will be the starting corners next year so we should see Ike out of his slump and McFadden will only improve. Were set at Safety position. We do need to work on signing Ike, and Troy, and even signing Big Ben to long term. There is only so much we can change a season, so lets start with getting some blocking, and get some fresh faces out there.

MACH1
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Start Duce, let him earn his pay check. Damn, I could sit on the sidelines and model sweat suites for about 25% of what he's getting paid to do it. I'd even carry water on the field during time outs!!!!

Pick me coach Pick me:cheer:

BigDuke6
11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
So....11 games in...who are the highlights to this season ?? I'm thinking Keisel has played well in for Kimo, ummmmmm....help me here.....uhhhhh....ummmmm

ARKIESTEEL
11-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I would love to see us go after that RB from Texas A&M that dude is like 274 lbs and runs like the Bus

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-27-2006, 06:00 PM
If we had a new head coach! One that is actually there mentally as well as physically.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
So....11 games in...who are the highlights to this season ?? I'm thinking Keisel has played well in for Kimo, ummmmmm....help me here.....uhhhhh....ummmmm

Hines Ward dragging around the field on one knee yesterday (other threads report he broke a bone in his knee and got scoped today).

The season has tanked but Hines has continued to play all out despite having already scored his last big contract (although yesterday's personal foul on the punt return was a brain cramp).

I can only imagine what someone like Fat Duce, Randy Moss, or Plax thinks when he watches a gamer like Hines leave it all on the field. With Cowher in hibernation, hope the younger players are taking lessons from Hines.

Stillers43
11-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Staley and Hartings definately need to go. I also think Porter will be let go as well. Too much money for a declining LB. Let's see what Harrison can do if healthy at LB.

Tankus_Maximus
11-27-2006, 09:58 PM

The guard who filled in for Simmons, Chris Kemoeatu played phenomenally (I think), Willie had plenty of room to run right up the gut in the ISO. I wanna see more of him & Chukky Okobi next year. Chucky's been around for a long time and his time is coming.

Willie's been a highlight... when he's had more than 11 carries a game.

Nate Washington has emerged as a quiet, effective receiver.

Keisel's played at a high level this year. I've always liked that guy.

SteelCzar76
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I would love to see us go after that RB from Texas A&M that dude is like 274 lbs and runs like the Bus

Jorvorskie Lane. Your right Arkie the kid has potential. But he's only a Sophmore. But he's one that we should keep "scout's eye" on.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

t-mill
11-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I could sit on the sidelines and model sweat suites for about 25% of what Staley's getting paid to do it. I'd even carry water on the field during time outs!!!!

Very well put...hilarious

The thing with Staley is, he not only hasn't played... he's been inactive, you activate him, then you take away valuable roster spots, and anyone who's seen our special teams play knows that we can't afford to sacrifice any roster spots

MJ5150
11-28-2006, 02:11 AM
I saw a couple references to the departure of Hartings. Why is everyone down on him? Has there been talk about him leaving Pittsburgh besides what I read on here from us fans?

-Mike

BlacknGold76
11-28-2006, 02:17 AM

Now that's funny I don't care who you are.Giter done.:wink02:

BlacknGold76
11-28-2006, 02:19 AM
If we are to be competitive for next season and beyond we have to re vamp the offensive line and get rid of Starks, Smith, and Hartings the old giant, who use to block for barry sanders in his early days is done and should be gone. Starks and Smith get blown up every game. We need to hope that Holmes can be a present on the field to were he needs Doubled up on like Ward. Wilson has to go, bring in someone who does not cry and makes every effort to get the ball and not drop it. Washington young still might turn out great for us in the long run. We still have not seen what Reid can do so I imagine we will pick up another WR in the Draft around the 3rd round up. I look for us to take offensive linemen in the 1st 5th and 7th round. We have young offensive linemen grooming on the bench and maybe out of all that we can put together a line that can block and keep Ben off his back. Also with the time off, Ben can actualy heal up and get ready for next season. Draft we will also look at Corners, and LBS. Townsend will be gone and well Porter stay will not be to long, Rooney's will not pay Porter what he wants so he will be somewhere else. In a SB slump even some of our best players looked bad and in slumps, so Ike, Mcfadden will be the starting corners next year so we should see Ike out of his slump and McFadden will only improve. Were set at Safety position. We do need to work on signing Ike, and Troy, and even signing Big Ben to long term. There is only so much we can change a season, so lets start with getting some blocking, and get some fresh faces out there.

Maybe if the Steelers offer enough money we can get Willie Roaf to come out of retirement.:wink02:

ChronoCross
11-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I saw a couple references to the departure of Hartings. Why is everyone down on him? Has there been talk about him leaving Pittsburgh besides what I read on here from us fans?

-Mike

I posted about him and its not being down on him, by all means he was the only one that did not get blown off the line in the last game. Believe it are not Steelers are in getting money together to sign players, like Ben, Troy P., Ike, and a few other players to long term deals, and most likely will go with the younger Okibi for the future. There is a lot on the plate this next couple years, and we will need all the money and cap space we can get. Most of are main LB Core is only good thru 2008, and with Porter running his mouth he might be gone before then, Porter actually is the 1 LB contract who runs out in 2007 and I doubt the Steelers will pay him what he wants. We have to do a lot of contracts in 2007 to get ready for a huge amount of contracts in 2008. By 2009 the team should be totally different in most personal. We should be a younger stronger team by as early as 2008 season.

Hartings, a Pro Bowl center who has reworked his contract several times in past seasons, previously had a 2006 salary cap value of $8.1 million that was far above that of any other Steelers player. Hartings is to make $2.2 million this year and $3.6 million in 2007.

But while Hartings will return in 2006, the Steelers may have signaled this could be Hartings' last season with them by also reworking Okobi's deal. He will make $585,000 this season, down from the $2 million he would have made in his previous deal.

MJ5150
11-28-2006, 01:41 PM
We have to do a lot of contracts in 2007 to get ready for a huge amount of contracts in 2008. By 2009 the team should be totally different in most personal. We should be a younger stronger team by as early as 2008 season.

Thanks buddy for all the info. I appreciate it.

Man, I will be really sad to see Hartings go. I was just about to order his jersey from Reebok. I still will, it is just going to be weird not having him at center. Weird like when Dawson left. So yeah, I'll cry again.

-Mike

Elvis
11-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Hines Ward dragging around the field on one knee yesterday (other threads report he broke a bone in his knee and got scoped today).

The season has tanked but Hines has continued to play all out despite having already scored his last big contract (although yesterday's personal foul on the punt return was a brain cramp).

I can only imagine what someone like Fat Duce, Randy Moss, or Plax thinks when he watches a gamer like Hines leave it all on the field. With Cowher in hibernation, hope the younger players are taking lessons from Hines.

:tt02:
I agree 100%.. I think that our future looks good a center with Okobi but Marvell Smith is playin' out of position at LT... that is not where he is the strongest at... and to be honest with ya'll I cant stand Max Starks .. for a man that is 6'7" 345lbs. he gets pushed around so much and he practically has to be standing up when they snap the ball to be able to get up and get his hands on someone... Our O Line just lost something over the summer I guess when they were doing those Stupid Chunky Soup comercials...:jawdrop: