PDA

View Full Version : What is it??????

clevestinks
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
:jawdrop: I don`t believe that its Bettis, Kimo or El leaving. Known of them were that important on the field. Hell Bettis almost cost us a trip to the big one.
I just cant put my finger on it! I love Cowher, but does anyone think that he got the monkey off his back, now he is just coasting into retirement? There is alot of talk of him retiring, moving to NC, going to another team, has this been a cancer for this team?
Our O-line seems like its given up! I know Ben started off banged up, but he should be alright now?

Whats everyone else thinking?

Prosdo
11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
My opinion is it starts at Cowher. He just doesn't seem to care. Yesterday seeing him on the sidelines made me sick. He looked content like everything was alright.

MACH1
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Read the tread "this about says it all" It explaines alot
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12780

stlrtruck
11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
It all starts and ends with Cowher.
What happen to The Chin, what happen to the spit, what happen to the emotion...flat out...WHAT HAPPEN TO HIM?
I'll always respect him for what he's done in Pittsburgh but I think what he has done to this team this year is down right wrong.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
It goes back to Cowher; his fire fueled the team and the fire went out on the victory stand in Detroit. A team that starts its games with a "1-2-3 physical!" chant from the head coach has to be impacted by the coach mellowing.

Maybe if Cowher had won it all earlier in his career he might have regarded it as the start of a journey rather than the end of one. There no doubt are some non-football issues involved, but for whatever reason Cowher appears to have decided it is only a game, which is not the opinion he appeared to have until recently.

I keep going back to the comparison to John Madden, who lost 5 AFC championship games in his first 7 yeras of coaching, finally won it all in 1976, and retired at age 42 after the 1978 season. After all those disappointments, winning once was obviously enough.

polamalufan43
11-27-2006, 03:02 PM
It could be a number of things. Cohwer isn't his usual spit launching, clipboard throwing, running down the sidlines self, but then again, who are any of us to judge. Sure, his emotions can easily be seen, but he can hide them just as well. Who knows if he is angry or not. Just look and check who is around him, if there are people around him, then he's happy. If there is no one around him and the are all huddled at the end of the bench, then you know he's mad.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BigDuke6
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
It goes back to Cowher; his fire fueled the team and the fire went out on the victory stand in Detroit. A team that starts its games with a "1-2-3 physical!" chant from the head coach has to be impacted by the coach mellowing.

Maybe if Cowher had won it all earlier in his career he might have regarded it as the start of a journey rather than the end of one. There no doubt are some non-football issues involved, but for whatever reason Cowher appears to have decided it is only a game, which is not the opinion he appeared to have until recently.

I keep going back to the comparison to John Madden, who lost 5 AFC championship games in his first 7 yeras of coaching, finally won it all in 1976, and retired at age 42 after the 1978 season. After all those disappointments, winning once was obviously enough.

BINGO AtlantaDan. Dead on the mark. Although I remember saying at the begining of the year we wouldnt miss ARE at all. Boy was I wrong !!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
whats going on

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Cowher must go. I don't think that the Rooney's would fire him, but please, if this is how he is going to coach RESIGN NOW!

clevestinks
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I`ve always had Cowhers back, but I agree with everyone! And since when is winning the "Big One" all about him? He won it all, now the hell with it? Whatever happen to coaching and playing because its in your blood?

Preacher
11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I`ve always had Cowhers back, but I agree with everyone! And since when is winning the "Big One" all about him? He won it all, now the hell with it? Whatever happen to coaching and playing because its in your blood?

I agree with all this.. but want to keep it in perspective.

Cowher was the best thing to happen to Pittsburgh after Knoll left. He should ALWAYS be seen as a great coach for the Steelers, and always be held high in our thoughts.

This last year however, he has lost his fire, lost his desire, lost his intensity. Life goes on, people retire, and Coach Cowher should be gone.

stillers4me
11-27-2006, 07:05 PM

Cowher was the best thing to happen to Pittsburgh after Knoll left. He should ALWAYS be seen as a great coach for the Steelers, and always be held high in our thoughts.

This last year however, he has lost his fire, lost his desire, lost his intensity. Life goes on, people retire, and Coach Cowher should be gone.

I dont' know.........he may not be spitting and throwing clipboards, but he looked furious during that post game interview. There were flames shooting out his eyes and I'm glad I wasn't in that locker room last night or anywhere near there all week. Maybe he's "evolving:.........:jawdrop:

clevestinks
11-29-2006, 02:05 PM

Cowher was the best thing to happen to Pittsburgh after Knoll left. .

I agree, and I won`t ever forget how great he WAS for us and the city. But he got the prize, is that all it was about??

DACEB
11-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Plain and simple, he didn't get the team prepared for the season. How else can you explain the number of really, really basic things we're suddenly doing wrong this year?

I think that hits the nail on the head, perfect example is our poor special teams play (even excluding the fumbles ST's play is terrible) which is normally a Cohwer staple. Cohwer is also to blame for not handling Bens situation(s) properly. However,

IMO the loss of the players mentioned has hurt us considerably.
Randle El was much better returning than anyone doing that job this year. And where are the gadget plays and reverses, he did so well, this year?
Kimo was much stouter on the D-line than Keisel and that has affected the LB's play this season.
Bettis was not just the leader that everyone talks about but he also got the tough yards that noone is getting this year. Is it possible he carried the O-line on occasion??

I also believe the players got phat in the off-season, but I also believe this type of season will not be repeated. It has been a hard lesson for all!

DACEB
11-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Bettis was not just the leader that everyone talks about but he also got the tough yards that noone is getting this year. Is it possible he carried the O-line on occasion??

Oh I forgot, in light of the Ravens game, Bettis also picked up alot of the tough blocks in the backfield.

Elvis
11-30-2006, 08:39 AM
:tt02: :thumbsup:
I love Cowher and all that he has done for our team the past 14 years but this year there is something entirely different about the way he seems to be taking losses and mistakes... He does seem like he is just not motivated or something... I think that the contract thing has got a lot to do with it though... But if that is the case then maybe it is time for the Rooney's and Cowher to realize what they both have..:wave:

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 08:48 AM

Oh I forgot, in light of the Ravens game, Bettis also picked up alot of the tough blocks in the backfield.i think its understated how bettis could have ben promise to get him a ring if he came back, and then deliver. or how he could make a prod man like hines ward step in front of the media and cry. or the way he cried in 2002 when the pain injecting shot left his leg numb against the ravens playoff game. the steelers were inspired to go out and beat their ass for him. i minimized his locker room departure. alnong with the likes of randle el, hope (who was considered by many to be the funniest). and kimo (who was the team tailor).

on top of that we definitely miss jeromes blocking and randle els play (have we seen any gadget plays this year?). hope and kimo did alot of little things that often go unnoticed or dont show up on the statsheet. while you can replace parts and numbers i guess its a little more difficult to replace heart and soul. heart and soul isnt something cowher keeps in a bottle that he can just sprinkle on the team and new players. i think thats what alot of us fans expected.

but like verron haynes said yesterday, its the lack of concentration and the turnovers that has been the biggest killer this season.

fansince'76
11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
My opinion is it starts at Cowher. He just doesn't seem to care.

Agreed - I have been getting that vibe from the team by and large as a whole this entire season so far, but it does start with Cowher as he is the HC and should be setting an example.