PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mr. Bettis

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Johnnie Bettis Has Died

(KDKA) DETROIT The father of former Steelers Running Back Jerome Bettis has died.

According to a spokesman for the former Steeler, Johnnie Bettis suffered a heart attack while he was driving in suburban Detroit late this afternoon.

Bettis was found slumped over the wheel of his car.

No one else was in the car with him at the time; and the spokesperson says Bettis was not involved in an accident.

Bettis had no history of heart problems; and the spokesman says his death was completely unexpected.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_332163042.html

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
At least he got to see his son win that ring. I'm sure he died a happy and proud man. RIP Mr. Bettis and my thoughts and prayers to the Bettis family.

SteelersWoman
11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I really hate to hear that--he's so close to his parents! Does anyone know of a website or email addy we could send condolences to?

Preacher
11-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Jerome.. Our prayers are with you and your family.

melroseplace
11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
so sad...my prayers are with the Bettis family

polamalufan43
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I just heard about that when i got home. I feel so bad for Jerome and his family. My thoughts and prayers are with them. WE LOVE YOU JEROME!!!!!!

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I really hate to hear that--he's so close to his parents! Does anyone know of a website or email addy we could send condolences to?

Not that I know of SW. I think it's a little too soon. If I hear or read anything I will let you know in this thread.

skinart82
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
This is very sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Bettis Family.

tony hipchest
11-28-2006, 04:51 PM
thats a bummer for jerome and his family. you know if he were playing this weekend he would come out and rush for 200 yds and plow over anything in his way! im glad we got to see the hundereds of shots of jeromes parents in the stands at the superbowl. im glad jerome, his parents, and being the hometown hero were a bigger story than the seahawks.

rip jeromes pop.

klick81
11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh man....may he rest in peace. This is sad...

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
This sucks. I feel bad for the Bus. Plus Jerome's daughter who isn't that old lost her Grandpa. Jerome was such a class act and you can tell his parents had alot to do with how Jerome is as a person. My heart goes out to the Bettis family.

hardwork
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Probably in reaction to Sunday's game. Poor guy, the Steelers killed him.

RIP

Stillers#1
11-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Wow...thats sad....RIP sir.

Stillers#1
11-28-2006, 05:10 PM

RIP

Not funny in the least.

Elvis
11-28-2006, 05:10 PM
:helmet:
I hate it for the Bus no doubt.. and the rest of his family, but it is something that all of us are gonna have to face someday... God Bless Bettis and his Family... My prayers are with them...:hug:

memphissteelergirl
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM

RIP

I'm sorry, but that is in very poor taste. You pick now to make a dig on the team's perfomance? You need to check yourself.

ARKIESTEEL
11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
May God bless and keep them in this sad hour

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry, but that is in very poor taste. You pick now to make a dig on the team's perfomance? You need to check yourself.

What did you expect?

R2sojr
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM

RIP

YOU MY FRIEND HAVE A VERY COLD HEARTED SOUL....FROM YOUR LOCATION THIS DOESNT SUPRISE ME AT ALL!!..MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU

BigDuke6
11-28-2006, 05:32 PM
God Bless the Bettis Family - One and All

MJ5150
11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh dang! This is sad news. I feel bad for Jerome and the rest of Mr. Bettis' surviving family.

-Mike

MACH1
11-28-2006, 05:48 PM
my prayers are with the Bettis family

Atlanta Dan
11-28-2006, 05:56 PM
For anyone who needs to be reminded, this places missing the playoffs in proper perspective and reminds us to treasure being with those loved ones who are still with you.

My sympathies to the Bettis family.

As for a certain prior comment on this thread, words fail me and I cannot fathom why it was posted.

polamalufan43
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM

RIP

Ugh...

In case anyone's wondering, you can save the cracks about the season for a more appropriete time. It just shows lack of class if you start making jokes at something like this.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

stillers4me
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
What a sad and shocking thing for any family to go through. Somehow, the games just didn't seem complete this year without them showing Jerome's mom and dad cheering him on. This makes last year's fairytale run to the SuperBowl even more meaningful. RIP Mr. Bettis......my thoughts and prayers go to the Bettis family.

X-Terminator
11-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Sad, sad news indeed. My prayers and sympathies go out to Jerome and his entire family - just tragic when it happens so suddenly.

As for hardwork's comment - to think I was starting to have some respect for you. That respect is now gone. That was a completely classless and disgusting attempt at humor. You should be ashamed of yourself, but you likely won't be.

touchdownward
11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Truly saddening, God speed Johnie Bettis.

SteelersWoman
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Not that I know of SW. I think it's a little too soon. If I hear or read anything I will let you know in this thread.

Thanks much 83-43 :smile:

TomBrady4HOF
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
This is definately a sad day,Not just for you Steelers fans,but as myself being a Patriots fan.Johnnie and Gladys Bettis are/were good honest folk and my thought and prayers are definately with Jerome and the Bettis family.It was pretty cool seeing his parents in the stands at the superbowl.Bettis was catching some heat at the time for his "Homecoming",but by god.The man deserved it.The bus will always be one of my all time fav players,God Bless Jerome,May the Good Lord watch over your father forever and always...........

herewegosteelers
11-28-2006, 07:47 PM
OH Lord!! Rest in peace. My thoughts & prayers are with the Bettis family.
We love you!!!

ChronoCross
11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Heart goes out to the Bettis family.

SteelR1
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
RIP Mr. Bettis,,,,,,,,,,

Stlrs4Life
11-28-2006, 08:54 PM
RIP Mr. Bettis and my thoughts and prayers to the Bettis family.

NV STEELERS 723
11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
For anyone who needs to be reminded, this places missing the playoffs in proper perspective and reminds us to treasure being with those loved ones who are still with you.

My sympathies to the Bettis family.

As for a certain prior comment on this thread, words fail me and I cannot fathom why it was posted.

Words fail me also Dan about this post concerning the STEELERS play... when my wife got home tonight, she looked at my face and knew something was wrong... I told her...she gave me a bear hug...

My thoughts are w/ the BETTIS family during this hard time.....

Steelers
11-28-2006, 10:26 PM
http://www.diehardsteel.com/files/images/bettisdad.thumbnail.jpg

Rest In Peace, Mr. Bettis. Thoughts, condolences, and prayers to the Bettis family.

noto45
11-28-2006, 10:54 PM
RIP I will pray for the Bettis Family

SteelerFan091472
11-28-2006, 11:28 PM
My thoughts are with Bettis family. RIP Johnnie Bettis.

tatchick
11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Wow, what sad news. All that I can picture in my head right now was how the camera used to zoom in on Mr and Mrs Bettis celebrating in the stands each time that Jerome would score. Very rarely did that man seem to have a frown on his face. I hope he had a good life. What a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Bettis family.

Borski
11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Wow, I would never have seen this coming.

My thoughts go out to the entire Bettis family.

wiqidjuggalo
11-29-2006, 01:03 AM
God bless the Bettis family and friends. My sincere thoughts and prayers are with them through this difficult time.

HometownGal
11-29-2006, 06:55 AM
I was truly shocked and saddened to learn of Johnnie Bettis' passing. He was such a classy man with a heart of gold - the apple obviously didn't fall far from the tree with Jerome. My thoughts and prayers go out to The Bus, Mrs. Bettis and the entire Bettis family on the loss of Johnnie. May he rest in peace in God's kingdom.

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Steelers mourn loss of Bettis' father

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, one of the more beloved sports figures in Pittsburgh history, is grieving the loss of his father.

Johnnie Bettis suffered an apparent heart attack while driving in suburban Detroit on Tuesday and died later in a nearby hospital.

He was just 61 years old, and his death comes less than a year after Bettis capped a career destined to land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame by winning a Super Bowl in his hometown.

Bettis announced his retirement immediately after the Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks, 21-10, at Ford Field.

Bettis, his return to Detroit and his quest to win a world championship was one of the major subplots leading up to Super Bowl XL.

So, too, was Bettis' close relationship with his parents.

Johnnie and Gladys Bettis hosted the Steelers for dinner one night while the team was in Detroit.

"They were pretty much as close to being team parents as you could find," Steelers guard Alan Faneca said on KDKA-TV. "They knew the guys, and the guys knew them."

Johnnie and Gladys missed only two games during Bettis' professional career (both were in the preseason and were played overseas).

They watched the running back known as "The Bus" rumble through defenses and into the hearts of Steelers fans after falling out of favor in St. Louis.

The Steelers acquired Bettis for draft choices in the summer of 1996, and the trade with the Rams turned out to be a heist.

Bettis ran for 10,571 yards in 10 seasons with the Steelers and is the team's second all-time leading rusher. Bettis is fifth all-time in the NFL with 13,662 rushing yards.

He owns the franchise record for 100-yard rushing games (50), and Bettis' rugged running style and outgoing personality made him one of the more popular Steelers outside of the locker room as well as in it.

His parents connected with Bettis' teammates as easily as he did.

"He was like our Grandpa," wide receiver Hines Ward said of Johnnie Bettis on KDKA-TV. "I called him 'Pops.' It's a tough, sad day for the Bettis family."

Jerome Bettis, who is an NFL studio analyst for NBC, shared at least one characteristic with his father.

"I remember that smile," Faneca said of Johnnie Bettis, "that infectious smile."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_481802.html

Kermit
11-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Very sad -- rest in peace, Mr. Bettis.

SteelerFanInCA
11-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Man, that's some tough news. My prayers are with Jerome and his family.

Stillers43
11-29-2006, 01:00 PM
My prayers go out to the Bettis family. Jerome and his family will always be BLACK AND GOLD forever!

Prosdo
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Wow....that's horrible. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Steelers Nation is praying for you Jerome!

LadySteele
11-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Rest in Peace Mr. Bettis. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Jerome. :(

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Does anyone know of a website or email addy we could send condolences to?

Found it SW. Go to the front page (top of page) of the KDKA website and you will see "Web Extra" and next to the title it states "Send Your Condolences For the Bettis Family". http://kdka.com/

In Cowher We Trust
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
very sad..RIP john

steelergirlrocks
11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
My condolensces to the Bettis Family. May peace and love be with you.

tony hipchest
12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
from peter kings monday morning qb

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/10/mmqb/4.html

I was privileged to be at the funeral of Johnnie Bettis, Jerome's dad, last Monday at the Messiah Baptist Church in Detroit. If you ever wondered if the friendly, gee-whiz Bettis schtick is a put-on, wonder no more. There was so much love and support and tight-knit-family feeling in the church that there's no way you could come out of the Bettis family as anything but a warm and caring person. Johnnie Bettis was an electrician for the city of Detroit, and Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick told a story from the pulpit of a friend who'd failed the city's electrician's exam several times and needed to pass it to support him family. Kilpatrick picked up the phone and called Johnnie Bettis, who had recently retired, and asked if he'd tutor the kid so he could pass the exam. Bettis did, the kid passed, and now he's an electrician for the city. "Pass it on, people, pass it on,'' Kilpatrick preached.

stillers4me
12-11-2006, 04:35 PM
There's no better legacy than that. Rest in Peace, Johnnie.

Polamalus_Angel
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
RIP John Bettis. Least we'll always have memories of you and your wife in the stands always supporting Jerome. He was certainly blessed to been able to see his son perform in the SuperBowl.