PDA

View Full Version : An IF question...

stlrtruck
11-29-2006, 11:52 AM
This was part of a discussion I was in on a ratbird MB (colts moving to Indy and the clowns moving to baltimore).

IF the Steelers were to pack up there belongings and move out of Pittsburgh and another team relocated to Pittsburgh or an expansion team was offered - would you follow the new team?

Personally, I said that I probably wouldn't be interested in the NFL after that scenario. My basis is that I would be an Old-School Steelers fan and there's just nothing that could compare to that. Let alone, I wouldn't want to inherit someone else's problems in a new franchise nor could I handle an expansion team carrying the name of the Steelers.

What are your guys/gals thoughts?

Big D
11-29-2006, 12:01 PM
This was part of a discussion I was in on a ratbird MB (colts moving to Indy and the clowns moving to baltimore).

IF the Steelers were to pack up there belongings and move out of Pittsburgh and another team relocated to Pittsburgh or an expansion team was offered - would you follow the new team?

Personally, I said that I probably wouldn't be interested in the NFL after that scenario. My basis is that I would be an Old-School Steelers fan and there's just nothing that could compare to that. Let alone, I wouldn't want to inherit someone else's problems in a new franchise nor could I handle an expansion team carrying the name of the Steelers.

What are your guys/gals thoughts?

that would be very gay. If it was like a clowns circumstance where they move but the name has to stay in pittsburgh i would stick it out. But if it was like the colts situation. I more then likely wouldnt be a steeler fan. Reason being that would be sticking a knife in pittsburgh in right in the heart of steeler fans

Haiku_Dirtt
11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
I think I'd witness the Empire State building moving to Bangkok before I'd witness the Steelers moving.

Unless North Korea misses Honolulu or LAX and hits Allegheny County with a nuked-up ICBM the "IF" is just an "if."

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-29-2006, 12:05 PM
THe Steelers moving from Pittsburgh would be awful for the NFL...BUT Bloomington/Normal Illinois would take them with open arms!!!!!:wink02:

Actually I love my PITTSBURGH Steelers...and if they moved it would rip my heart out!!!

stlrtruck
11-29-2006, 12:48 PM
I couldn't see the Rooney's moving the team out either but to get into that discussion with ratbird fans, well they wouldn't understand it. Look at all the professional teams they've had come and go!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I couldn't see the Rooney's moving the team out either but to get into that discussion with ratbird fans, well they wouldn't understand it. Look at all the professional teams they've had come and go!

Therein lies the difference...The Ratbirds loyalty is directly related to their win/loss record...not on history...not on tradition...but on "how did we do last year"...

The cast majority of those fans I know who have claimed any Ravens alligience change their "favorite team" from year to year....and couldnt talk football with you outside of this years record

ChronoCross
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
I could not put myself to buy another jersey are shirt are hat nothing from another team. It would hurt me so bad I would not even follow them were ever they go. I would sit back and wait for them to return. Even tho we know in 100 years the team will not go anywhere. I have a beautiful steelers room full of over 40 hats, pictures, jerseys and other items I have collected. Ive been a fan since right around 1973.

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
My loyalty is to the Steelers because I grew up watching them while growing up in Pittsburgh.

Like a lot of Steelers fans who have left Pittsburgh, my loyalty to the team is tied up with a remembrance of Pittsburgh. Continuing to be a Steelers fan allowed me to take a little part of Pittsburgh with me to Atlanta.

If they left Pittsburgh, I would actively root against that team in its new location for having betrayed Pittsburgh. In addition, the tie would be broken and I doubt I would root for Steelers II (or to reflect the changing economy the Pittsburgh UPMCs?) if a replacement team took over in Pittsburgh.

Of course the Steelers will be in Pittsburgh long after I am gone so this is not high on my list of concerns.

Livinginthe past
11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I dont know...the Los Angeles Steelers has a nice ring to it :wink02:

NM

ps Yes, yes I know...the Pittsburgh Steelers has 5 nice rings to it.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I would not follow football at all,and if Pittsburgh kept the name,colors,and tradition I don't know how I'd be when they came back because it wouldn't be the same.

polamalufan43
11-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Ahhhhh. If the Steelers moved out of Pittsburgh I wouldn't be talking to you guys right now because I would be having a heart attack. Sure, I would still watch their games, but it wouldn't be the same. I would probably hate the team that came here to replace the Steelers.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

floodcitygirl
11-29-2006, 02:20 PM
What are your guys/gals thoughts?:thud:

Livinginthe past
11-29-2006, 02:36 PM
So what about the fans that continue to support version 2 of the Cleveland Browns - does that make them better fans or worse fans?

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2006, 02:43 PM

NM

Dude thats not even funny. I totally would be crushed if the Steelers ever left Pittsburgh. No I wasn't born in Western, PA. But both of my parents were and raised me to be a Steelers, Pirates, Pitt fan. Plus my grandfather played for the Steelers in the early 1950's. So I really hope that day never comes of the Steelers leaving Pittsburgh.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-29-2006, 02:56 PM
that would suck.......i dont think it would ever happen.......

stlrtruck
11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
So what about the fans that continue to support version 2 of the Cleveland Browns - does that make them better fans or worse fans?

NM

I don't think it makes them any different fans, I'm just trying to get other's view on the situation.

But they are browns fans...does it get any worse?

herewegosteelers
11-29-2006, 04:53 PM
OMG!! I couldn't even think about that. What a complete nightmare that would be!! I would have to say I would still watch the sport, because I love the game. But like someone said it would not be the same.

Stillers#1
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
hmmmm that is an interesting question. I think I would have to lurk rooting for a D2 College team.

SteelCzar76
11-29-2006, 05:20 PM

NM

LOL. I was born and raised in Los Angeles. But do to my considerable ties to western P.A (via my mothers family),.... i could'nt even concieve the concept of the Steelers moving. The Steelers probably mean more to the people of Pittsburgh (and western P.A as a whole) than any other team in the league in respect to their City's.
Anyone who's spent any reasonable amount of time there (let alone live there),....understand this.
A move to LA would be tremendous for California football fans. But it would be an absolute disgrace and travesty for not only Pittsburgh and Tradition,.......but for the League as a whole.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

SteelerFanInCA
11-29-2006, 05:42 PM

NM

It wouldn't be the same having them here in LA. All that tradition was built up in Pittsburgh where it should stay.

Livinginthe past
11-29-2006, 05:54 PM
For the record, I cannot imagine a time when the Steelers would move outside the Pittsburgh area.

One of the things you have to respect is that the Steelers are steeped in history and tradition - they always fill the stadium, so you can't argue for a move on that standpoint.

I would also imagine, that Steelers merchandise is one of the best sellers on a consistent basis - partly sue to their continued, regular success, but also because they have such a widespread fanbase.

NM

klick81
11-29-2006, 05:57 PM
As GREAT as it would be to be able to watch their games locally, i have to agree with everyone else. It wouldn't be the same.

stillers4me
11-29-2006, 06:29 PM
It's just too horrible to even try and imagine...........oh my head hurts to think about it..........

Besides........the very name "Steelers" just couldn't be used anywhere else......especially LA. If they moved to another city, they would cease to exist for me. The Steelers ARE Pittsburgh.

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't watch football again.

james203
11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
my bro in law is a rams fan.even though they moved from los angeles to st.louis.i tried telling him they are the st.louis rams not the la rams.he dont care.if the steelers ever moved & took the steeler name like the rams did i would not be a steeler fan cause they arent in pittsburgh.we all know the rooneys would never do that.the steelers have the most devoted fans in the nfl.it just would of been so nice to see them go to the playoffs.they play the nasty ravens on xmas eve.i really hope they get revenge.chances are the ravens will win the division but maybe the steelers can stop them from getting home field through out the playoffs or a first round bye.

clarient
11-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the entire Steelers Nation would rise up in arms and destroy the world.

I agree with most - the Steelers aren't just the Steelers, they're the PITTSBURGH Steelers. If anybody watched that NFL Network Present: the Steelers Nation thing, it talked about how the exodus of workers from Steel Town scattered the fans across the nation, and that's why we're soo widespread. Still - for a large part of us, Pittsburgh is our heritage as well.

And for those you who don't have familial ties to Pittsburgh, the Steelers ARE your tie, no?!

MACH1
11-29-2006, 11:57 PM
I'd have to give up football alltogether. Spent all my life being a Steelers fan and it just wouldnt be the same, besides theres not any other teams that I like well enough to root for.

Or could become a bungals fan,:jawdrop: a team that you know will never win anything so it wouldnt be a big deal when they consistently lose every year.:dang: :sofunny: