PDA

View Full Version : Cowher not interested in NC State job

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2006, 07:14 PM
This from the Raleigh News & Observer

So much for speculation about N.C. State possibly luring Bill Cowher away from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

On Wednesday, Cowher told reporters in Pittsburgh that he would not be a candidate for the job.

"I'm very flattered and I've heard some of the things that have been coming out, but I'm not a candidate," Cowher said after practice. "You can take me off the list.

"I am flattered. It's a super program and I'm sure they'll get a very qualified coach that's going to walk into a good situation."

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/515855.html

Shocking news! I cannot believe this nonsensical rumor had legs for most of the season.

Of course, nowhere in the linked story is any Cowher comment to the effect that he is the Steelers coach and plans to have that job for as long as the Rooneys will hire him.

SteelCityMan786
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Definant sign of a return next year.

Livinginthe past
11-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I imagine he'll take a break from the job altogether wont he?

At least for a year - then maybe take a look at how things are shaking out in the NFL?

NM

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Here is a better article on today's comments by Cowher from the AP:

"I'm the coach here -- as much as that may disappoint some people -- but I am the coach here and I want to win these last five games," Cowher said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to do that. I've been here for a while and I like it. It's a good job. I don't like the way we are right now and I'm going to do everything in our power to finish this thing up strong."

Still, even if Cowher decided he wanted to coach college ball at some point, he almost certainly couldn't command the money he makes now.

Cowher is being paid about $4.5 million by the Steelers, a figure he probably could double by retiring, sitting out a year or two and then returning to coach an NFL team willing to spend big for a proven winner. No college coach makes close to $8 million to $9 million per season.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops ($3.45 million) is believed to be the only current major college coach who is guaranteed more than $3 million per season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/29/cowher.ncstate.ap/index.html

He is not going to NC State but he is going somewhere

Livinginthe past
11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
When he uses terms like 'finish this thing up strong' you have imagine he is going to leave.

I think people would be 100% on his side if he had taken the time to dispell the rumors and commit himself to next year unequivocally - but he hasn't done that.

Either he doesn't know what is happening next year, or he knows he wont be in Pittsburgh.

NM

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't read it that way. I take it that he is talking about finishing this season up strong.

stlrtruck
11-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Strong finish into the off season, leave the new coach something to work with and then move on to your mansion!

TomBrady4HOF
11-30-2006, 06:47 AM
I really Don't see Cowher leaving,He's got a good thing going here in Pittsburgh.Since his first year as Steelers HC in 1992 he has compiled a 149-96 Record.Thats nothing to frown at.He is the ONLY Coach that has been with his current team this long.There are alot of folks down on him right now,Understandably so.Your coming off a Superbowl winning season,a Young Quarterback who is having a time getting back into his SB Form.I was noticing though,that Big Ben has already thrown a career high in attempts this year at 347,And there is still 5 games to play.The playcalling seems to be an issue.But thats just my Humble opinion.Cowher is still at the top of his game,being one of the most Respected and as I previously mentioned Revered coaches.The Rooney's I think,will keep him here as long as he wants a job.As well they should.

stillers
11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
My opinion on the matter is that he didnt renew his contract last year because he wants to be paid what a deserving super bowl coach should. The rooneys will work something out with his contract and he will be with the steelers for an extended time. Why would he leave what he has built up here to try and start over somewhere for more money where if he doesnt succeed quickly that team could fire him after 2 years. The steelers organization is the most stable orginization in the NFL. Who else can say they've only had 2 coaches in the past 34 years. He'll be back. They just need to revamp a few things.

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 09:10 AM
When he uses terms like 'finish this thing up strong' you have imagine he is going to leave.

I think people would be 100% on his side if he had taken the time to dispell the rumors and commit himself to next year unequivocally - but he hasn't done that.

Either he doesn't know what is happening next year, or he knows he wont be in Pittsburgh.

NM

thats a brilliant observation. :rolleyes: either he knows, or he dont know. bravo!

see the thing about pittsburgh football is winning. he couldve squashed all rumors, signed an extension, and if the team played at a 4-7 level he WOULD NOT be supported 100%.

on the flipside, he couldve let the rumors run rampant, and if the team was at 9-2 everyone would love him.

with the majority of the fans (not 100%) its all about the winning, not rumors or commitment.

Livinginthe past
11-30-2006, 10:09 AM
thats a brilliant observation. :rolleyes: either he knows, or he dont know. bravo!

see the thing about pittsburgh football is winning. he couldve squashed all rumors, signed an extension, and if the team played at a 4-7 level he WOULD NOT be supported 100%.

on the flipside, he couldve let the rumors run rampant, and if the team was at 9-2 everyone would love him.

with the majority of the fans (not 100%) its all about the winning, not rumors or commitment.

I dont know why you'd want to do this on the main forum - but so be it.

If you read carefully, you can see that I said that he either doesn't know what is happening next year, or he knows he wont be in Pittsburgh.

This leaves one missing option - that he knows he will be coaching the Steelers next year - which was the point of the post.

It is my opinion that the Rooney's have strong reservations about having him back next year - and that feeling has been compounded by this years dismal showing.

NM

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
It is my opinion that the Rooney's have strong reservations about having him back next year - and that feeling has been compounded by this years dismal showing.

NM you dont know why i would wanna disagree on the main forum? how about the above statement? what is there to suggest the rooneys are having reservations? how has that been compunded? you have been following the rooneys dealings with cowher the past 15 years right? every time he has had a poor season they have responded by EXTENDING him rather than looking in another direction. that is why the steelers are known as one of the most stable organizations in sports.

they may have reservations about the $$$$ but not the man himself. they already know he is the right man for the job. if he is gone after this season i do not expect the reason to be that the rooneys felt he wore out his welcome or that they need to go in another direction to get back to their winning ways. very few teams have been as succesful as the steelers in the cowher era.

Livinginthe past
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
you dont know why i would wanna disagree on the main forum? how about the above statement? what is there to suggest the rooneys are having reservations? how has that been compunded? you have been following the rooneys dealings with cowher the past 15 years right? every time he has had a poor season they have responded by EXTENDING him rather than looking in another direction. that is why the steelers are known as one of the most stable organizations in sports.

they may have reservations about the $$$$ but not the man himself. they already know he is the right man for the job. if he is gone after this season i do not expect the reason to be that the rooneys felt he wore out his welcome or that they need to go in another direction to get back to their winning ways. very few teams have been as succesful as the steelers in the cowher era.

I think the Rooney's have reservations regarding Cowhers future being with the Steelers as a direct result of his own lack of passion for remaining with the team.

Im sure the Rooney's knew they had a good coach when all those extensions were given out in the past, but they also had a coach who was willing to commit everything to getting the best possible Steelers team out on the field.

This year it appears to be different, Cowhers passion for the Steelers seems diminished and the team seems directionless.

Its not just one aspect of the team that has struggled either -so you can't pin it on a particular coach or even a particular player.

Offense, defense and special teams have stunk the joint out for a large majority of this year - and the common denominator is the HC.

Just because Cowher was the right coach for the Steelers in the past, does not mean he is going to be the right coach indefinitely.

NM

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I think the Rooney's have reservations regarding Cowhers future being with the Steelers as a direct result of his own lack of passion for remaining with the team.

Im sure the Rooney's knew they had a good coach when all those extensions were given out in the past, but they also had a coach who was willing to commit everything to getting the best possible Steelers team out on the field.

This year it appears to be different, Cowhers passion for the Steelers seems diminished and the team seems directionless.

Its not just one aspect of the team that has struggled either -so you can't pin it on a particular coach or even a particular player.

Offense, defense and special teams have stunk the joint out for a large majority of this year - and the common denominator is the HC.

Just because Cowher was the right coach for the Steelers in the past, does not mean he is going to be the right coach indefinitely.

NMi see what youre saying and am torn because i dont know what is going on behind closed doors. maybe the rooneys havent shown the passion for keeping cowher in terms of offering him a contract that is fair market value. this really could all boil down to money. it is unfortunate that this stalemate in the negotiation of an extension might have led to all the speculation and rumors that have fallen stictly on the shoulders of cowher. it has always been said that negotiations would resume after the season.

maybe the rooneys couldve prevented this by just making him a top 3 paid HC. that doesnt mean the rest of the team possibly have problems like repeated special team breakdowns, turnovers, hangovers, motorcycle accidents, heart and soul players retiring or moving on.

MJ5150
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I would have felt much better if I read this in that news article from Cowher...

"I am the coach of the Pittcburgh Steelers. I love this organization, and plan on retiring a Steeler".

Or something like that. None of this "finish up" talk.

-Mike

MJ5150
11-30-2006, 11:47 AM
maybe the rooneys couldve prevented this by just making him a top 3 paid HC..

If this all boils down to money for Cowher, then get rid of him. I want a coach who is in Pittsburgh because he loves the organization, not because we gave him the most money.

Now I am not delusional, and feel that everyone plays and coaches because they love the city they are in. Football is a business. OTOH, we often hear of players taking a "home team discount" to stay with the same organization.

-Mike

Stillers#1
11-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I gotta say IMO Cowher is done here. If he comes back next year, I will be utterly suprised. Hopefully, if he does come back next year, he decides to take an extension and sticks around for another 10.

Hell I remember being in 4th grade, on the school bus talking about how bad ass we were going to be bc of our "new coach". I lived in Brownies territory then, and we took a lot of crap, until Cowher came along. He is my generations "emperor Noll" Cowher is more or less everything I can remember as far as head coach's go for the Steelers.

He helped turn me into the fan I am today, cowher instilled into a lot of Steelers fan a new passion, that we (according to my Dad) didnt really have throughout the 80's. 10 more years, and my unborn child wil be in 4th grade, that's when it will be time for Cowher to step down, and then a new coach can coem in for a new generation.

HometownGal
11-30-2006, 11:57 AM
LITP - I don't think the Rooneys have lost one bit of confidence in Cowher or his ability to lead their team to yet another SB. Personally, and I've felt this way for some time (this is just my own opinion here) - Cowher's reluctance to keep his decision to himself is centered around two reasons: (1) negotiating with the Rooneys after the season is over on a new contract - maybe a year to year deal and/or (2) Cowher seems very much like a private kind of guy who doesn't want details of his life or his plans made into a media circus, which unfortunately has already happened. He doesn't owe us any explanation on what his plans are - that explanation is for the Rooneys and his family.

I dunno - I'm not reading into what Cowher states as him having made the decision that he is leaving the Steelers after this season.

Cowher said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to do that. I've been here for a while and I like it. It's a good job. I don't like the way we are right now and I'm going to do everything in our power to finish this thing up strong."

I am lead to believe here that what he means by "finish this thing up strong" is a reference to finishing up the season strong, not his career with the Steelers. Of course we all are going to read differently into what his intentions really are by what he said, and that's ducky - at this point, only Cowher (more than likely) knows in which direction he is leaning.

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2006, 12:00 PM
If this all boils down to money for Cowher, then get rid of him. I want a coach who is in Pittsburgh because he loves the organization, not because we gave him the most money.

Now I am not delusional, and feel that everyone plays and coaches because they love the city they are in. Football is a business. OTOH, we often hear of players taking a "home team discount" to stay with the same organization.

-Mike

This isn't Friday Night Lights. It's a business.

If I could double my current salary (which Cowher apparently can do) I would give serious consideration to a new job unless my current employer closed the gap significantly. There is no salary cap for coaches and if the Rooneys will not give Cowher a major salary bump, Cowher should not be trashed for requiring the Rooneys to pay him significantly more than his current paycheck if he is going to stay.

Of course, just as is the case with players, sometimes you are paid the most when your best days are behind you. The Rooneys may figure past performance is no guarantee of future results and conclude cost/benfit supports hiring a new coach for significantly less $$$ than Cowher may be demanding (assuming he is not just burned out and wants to take a break).

HometownGal
11-30-2006, 12:00 PM

-Mike

Mkay. Fair enough. I suppose when Troy, Ben, Ward and other top notchers come up for new contracts, we should run them out of town on a rail - God forbid they would want an increase in salary and want to be paid in comformance with others at their levels around the league.

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 12:01 PM

-Mikethat is the exception and not the rule though. with the steelers it seems to be older veterans who are on the cusp of a back-up role like bettis, logan, and townsend. you dont really see it across the league. theres brady, and bruschi, but mostly players are cashing in.

SteelShooter
11-30-2006, 05:58 PM

:thumbsup: Bravo Brother!!! :cheers: