PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ryan Clark?

jtdapit
11-30-2006, 06:10 AM
I wanted to know what everyone else has thought of Ryan Clark so far. I think he has exceded expectations by far. Almost every game I see a Great hit by him. He doesn't seem to miss alot of tackles either.

Infamix
11-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Ryan Clark is the Willie Parker of last year. Many people doubt this free agent aquisition even though he's very talented. Just wait till next year, he will turn heads.

brind666
11-30-2006, 11:38 AM
i totally agree he has been AWSOME!!! just ask Chris Henry that fag..

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I agree Clark has been a good pick-up. Keisel also has played well in place of Kimo.

If there was a concern with the D going into the season it was with the replacements, not the incumbents, which has not turned out to be the case. Maybe the new players had greater motivation than certain returning starters.

The defense has dropped off due to probelms with LBs and other DBs, not with Clark or the D-line. Clark will be a good fit while Anthony Smith hopefully learns the ropes.

BigDuke6
11-30-2006, 03:19 PM
I just cant disagree more. I have seen nothing from Ryan Clark until the Saints game. I thought he stepped up (finally) and became a presence in that game. Until then, he's been invisible. Of his 3 FRs 2 came in the Saints game. He has 1 int. That 1 as in one. From FS we need more. He has a lot of tackles I'll give you that but I just dont see how he deserves all this praise.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Compared to a more expensive (overpaid) and older Chris Hope, I'll take Clark. During a year where few are playing at the top of their game, Clark is one of the last guys I would jump on at this point in time.

BigDuke6
11-30-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm not jumping on him anymore than I jump on the rest of the "guilty parties". And I agree, I never once thought we would miss Hope. But then again, I didnt think we were going to miss ARE.

Stlrs4Life
11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
I think he is doing OK. But don't believe he is tearing up the field either. And if he is getting that may tackles, it means our LBs are not really doing there job.

jtdapit
11-30-2006, 07:40 PM
The much bigger problem is that we've got three pretty good corners, but only one of them per game shows up to play, and it's hard to say which one it'll be. -steelreserve

Seriously well put. I have been trying to think of those words for a LONG time. Cause your right. Weekly I only see one CB playing to their potential. And not to rag on Ike Taylor but with the contract he got recently, in my eyes.... Hes not fulfilling his part of the deal. I just see too many dropped ints. Missed tackles and he seems to be getting beat alot latley. Last year Ike was phenominal. This year... Hes just an average CB.

ibleedburgundy
12-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I wish we still had Ryan Clark. :dang:

Stillers43
12-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Doing ok, but I like A. Smith a lot better! More upside!

Dook
12-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Anthony Smith has pure instincts out there and should continue to start over Clark even when Clark gets healthy.

But A. Smith is still immature. He makes an interception then prances about with the ball hanging out like a darn trophy! Tuck it and run!

nicesteel4life
12-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Agree he showed bad poise with that display, he got scolded, so I doubt it happens again. He is young still and it showed. Give him some time to grow and we will be glad!

figg
12-17-2006, 04:47 PM
That was the 1st time I saw Lebeau react like that.

OneForTheToe
12-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Keep in mind as well that it actually might be easier for A Smith to start without Troy as the other S. Not a shot a Troy (he is world class). I just think the Steelers use Troy differently to take advantage of his special skills. Ryan C is probably a better choice for now since he has more experience. I have no doubt that Anthony will have a shot to start next year, however.

Preacher
12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
You all have to keep in mind that in a Troy Polamalu defense, the Free safety is often isolated, having to REALLY protect, almost as if he is playing prevent, because Troy (by design) will come up on the LOS or drop back as a line backer.

In the Steeler D-scheme, you REALLY DONT want the FS's name being called, because it will usually be a result of a bad all around defensive play.

For instance, if the O line picks up the blitz, the QB has time to hit the deep man... So you hear the FS's name called as he comes overtop to protect. Not a good thing to hear.

Rian did well this year. He gave Troy the freedom to roam with worry. that is what our FS is supposed to do.

Rian Clark is our today, Smith is our future.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Anthony Smith has pure instincts out there and should continue to start over Clark even when Clark gets healthy.

But A. Smith is still immature. He makes an interception then prances about with the ball hanging out like a darn trophy! Tuck it and run!

This postgame quote from Cowher:

"I didn't appreciate his gesture," Cowher said. "We don't do that around here. He understood that. You won't ever see that again."

Well that certainly settles that. We all know when Cowher says we won't see something again (penalties for end zone celebrations, persoanl foul penalties) that ends the matter.

Maybe Cowher should post in the locker room a list of things we will never see again so they do not get seen in the first place.

SteelCzar76
12-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Smith is stronger, faster and has a higher "motor" than Clark. He's always around the ball and not only hits "bigger" than his size (weight) would warrant,.......he makes plays on the ball that result in turnovers (picks).
Yeah,....he "stunted" a little bit today with the showboating, but that's just a mark of youth and intensity. (It shouldn't be blown out of proportion)
I personaly believe that our defense is better when he's on the field instead of Clark. Clark is a solid player,...but the bottom line is such,......Smith is a PLAYMAKER and he (Clark) is average. There shouldn't even be a debate as to whether or not Anthony should remain our starter from here on out. (as well as next season and beyond)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Preacher
12-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Smith is stronger, faster and has a higher "motor" than Clark. He's always around the ball and not only hits "bigger" than his size (weight) would warrant,.......he makes plays on the ball that result in turnovers (picks).
Yeah,....he "stunted" a little bit today with the showboating, but that's just a mark of youth and intensity. (It shouldn't be blown out of proportion)
I personaly believe that our defense is better when he's on the field instead of Clark. Clark is a solid player,...but the bottom line is such,......Smith is a PLAYMAKER and he (Clark) is average. There shouldn't even be a debate as to whether or not Anthony should remain our starter from here on out. (as well as next season and beyond)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Like I said, Clark is our man today, Smith is our future. However, I do agree. Smith is absolutely a playmaker, I want to see Smith more often. I always get excited when I know he is on the field.

clevestinks
12-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I think he is an upgrade over Hope, who did have a TD yestrerday. But I`m still hoping for more.

A.M.
12-18-2006, 05:25 PM
He is a very solid tackler! He jus straight up knows how to tackle and kill the ball carrier. I think that he is going to end up sticking around with the Stelers for the next few years, and will become a powerful teammate for the Steelers.

WWIIOwheelz
12-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I've loved what I've seen from Clark all season. I haven't seen him make a soft tackle this year.

ThatGuy246
12-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Maybe it's just because I teach at SU, but I think Anthony Smith is gonna turn out to have been a great pick for us. Yes, he's started against relatively weak teams thus far, and yes, he didn't do himself any favors by showboating yesterday...but the Steelers franchise is known for instilling solid character in individual players, and I think he's probably going to learn his lesson from not only LeBeau & Cowher, but also from his teammates.

Clark has done pretty well, and I think we're seeing a glimpse of the future Stillers D. Let's give both of them our support and recognize that they've been performing well, and despite some problems from both, they've each shown flickers of greatness. Cowher & Colbert are known for polishing previously rough diamonds...who knows how these guys can turn out in the long run?

Happy holidys & safe travels to all...

-DJ

A.M.
12-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Maybe it's just because I teach at SU, but I think Anthony Smith is gonna turn out to have been a great pick for us. Yes, he's started against relatively weak teams thus far, and yes, he didn't do himself any favors by showboating yesterday...but the Steelers franchise is known for instilling solid character in individual players, and I think he's probably going to learn his lesson from not only LeBeau & Cowher, but also from his teammates.

Clark has done pretty well, and I think we're seeing a glimpse of the future Stillers D. Let's give both of them our support and recognize that they've been performing well, and despite some problems from both, they've each shown flickers of greatness. Cowher & Colbert are known for polishing previously rough diamonds...who knows how these guys can turn out in the long run?

Happy holidys & safe travels to all...

-DJ

couldn't agree more:tt02: