PDA

View Full Version : Cowhers supposed "lack of emotion"

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 11:11 AM
alot of fans seem more concerned with the sideshow that is bill on the sidelines with the headset, rather than the play on the field.

many seem to believe it is his emotion that causes the team to win. it is the oposite. it is the winning that causes the emotion. the only reason he seems less emotional is because the team is winning less. 1st and foremost, bill is an ex player, and a players coach. we're always used to seeing bill yell and scream "lets go! lets go!" when the team is up or close to winning. anyone ever see him do this when were in a funk and losing? he has always looked despondant and biting his lip when the team is pissing away a game. were just seeing it alot more this year.

can anyone remember porter or foote jumping around and stomping their foot when they are losing? how bout jerome doing his little 1`st down dance when they are 20 points down?

the emotion were used to seeing is a product of the winning, not vice versa. weve just become accustomed to so much winning we expect that ALL the time and forget how people respond to losing.

did anyone see tom coughlin throw a fit and jum all over m. kiwanukas ass for blowing a play that caused the giants to lose last weekend? that was counterproductive behavior towards a rookie who was trying not to draw a penalty we all know he wouldve drawn. does anyone believe coughlins "emotion couldve turned this season around?

verron haynes stated yesterday that all the fire and drive, and emotion is still there with cowher and i tend to believe him more than fans who observe 4-5 sideline shots on tv. he says the spit is still flying and the jaw is still jutting. maybe the cameras just arent showing it as often.

i just dont see how the yelling, and screaming, and spit is a magical elixir for winning. it is a by-product of the winning.

stlrtruck
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
As I recall, even a few years ago when we went 6-10, he still had the spitting fire.

It is my opinion that he no longer has that same fire.

memphissteelergirl
11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Good post, tony...

I have to say I have been a little confused by the "lack of emotion" but hey I am not in the locker room or the practice field so I cannot speculate what's going on there.

Livinginthe past
11-30-2006, 11:33 AM
So he gets mad when his team is winning or nearly winning?

Thats certainly not the impression I have had of him, and it seems to be the same opinion a vast majority of Steeler fans hold too.

I have noticed him 'get spittin' angry' at officials when he thinks they got something wrong - although maybe you can convince us he only gets angry when they make the right call?

It would certainly be consistent with your logic.

NM

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm more concerned about his decision making and his inability to motivate (a trait he was praised for in years past) this season than I am of his lack of sideline emotion. IMO, the guy is burnt out and he's not the same coach. Fifteen years of coaching (the same team nonetheless), a SB victory and his family living in NC may have something to do with it.

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
As I recall, even a few years ago when we went 6-10, he still had the spitting fire.

It is my opinion that he no longer has that same fire. then we were just getting beat by better teams. now were giving games away to lesser teams. i think you tend to react differently. i remember the game against the texans where we held them to less than 50 yards and they still beat us, with cowher just shaking his head on the sideline like he was speechless. weve seen alot of that this year. parcells has also lost that spitting fire but it hasnt changed his capabilities to coach. i have seen much more emotion out of parcells this year once he made the move to romo and began to win more consistantly, than when bledsoe was qb'ing. parcells mean looks or rah rah or spit wasnt gonna get bledsoe to play better on the field. nor was it gonna make romo play any better.

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
So he gets mad when his team is winning or nearly winning?

NMwould you like to point out where i said anything about him getting "mad"?

reading comprehension my friend. its right there in the title. theres a difference between "emotional" and "mad".

learn it. live it. love it.

anyways they showed him pissed at the refs just last weekend.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm more concerned about his decision making and his inability to motivate (a trait he was praised for in years past) this season than I am of his lack of sideline emotion. IMO, the guy is burnt out and he's not the same coach. SB victory and his family living in NC may have something to do with it.

Nice post 83 and I agree. I really think Cowher is burnt out and its understandable. Coaching in the NFL for 15 years and especiall in Pittsburgh can take its toll on a person. I just wish Cowher would have walked away when Jerome did. Hey I think its time for a change anyway. Yea I know some Steelers love the fact the Steelers have had 2 coaches in 30 plus years. But thats nice and all. But if Cowher wants to retire and be with his family in North Carolina. So be it.

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm more concerned about his decision making and his inability to motivate (a trait he was praised for in years past) this season than I am of his lack of sideline emotion. IMO, the guy is burnt out and he's not the same coach. Fifteen years of coaching (the same team nonetheless), a SB victory and his family living in NC may have something to do with it. now this is a valid concern. i think alot just feel his spit has the healing power of belichicks flatulence: that a jutting jaw has been what has won so manny games. theres more to it than simple sideline behavior.

if anyone thinks cowher is not pissed by the losing they are crazy. any player ive heard comment on the matter says as much. if players are saying the fire is still there then i gotta believe them.

Livinginthe past
11-30-2006, 11:48 AM
would you like to point out where i said anything about him getting "mad"?

reading comprehension my friend. its right there in the title. theres a difference between "emotional" and "mad".

learn it. live it. love it.

anyways they showed him pissed at the refs just last weekend.

Well that was my point.

He was pissed at the refs because they got something wrong - which is fair enough.

Unfortunately he really has resembled that cardboard cut-out on the sideliens when the season has been falling down around his ears.

So your point is what?

That Cowher isn't normally 'emotional' when his team is losing?

That he only gets pumped when his team is winning (or nearly winning)?

That doesn't sound like a coach, that sounds like a cheerleader.

NM

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Well that was my point.

He was pissed at the refs because they got something wrong - which is fair enough.

Unfortunately he really has resembled that cardboard cut-out on the sideliens when the season has been falling down around his ears.

So your point is what?

That Cowher isn't normally 'emotional' when his team is losing?

That he only gets pumped when his team is winning (or nearly winning)?

That doesn't sound like a coach, that sounds like a cheerleader.

NMstill cant point out where i said anything about him getting mad, huh?

anyways your "impression" was that cowher was just like manning and he would always choke in the big game so we know what thats worth. i also dont think youve been observing 15 years of steelers sideline behavior like the typical die hard steelerfan, so your impressions of his mannerisms are probably a little skewed. cowhers jaw and spit has taken on a life of its own.

and yes, cowher has always been emotional when his team is winning and he always cheers his team. he also coaches them.

case in point: last year vs indy when the refs blew the polamalu interception call, did you see cowher jumping and screaming and shoving overhead pictures into the refs pocket with spit and jowels flying?

no. he was on the sideline calmly coaching his team to a victory.

Livinginthe past
11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I thought you said he only got emotional when his team was winning/or close to winning?

Then you bring out an example like the Colts game that was won - and you tell us he was 'calm' on the sideline.

Seems like a contradiction.

Anyway, those were my thoughts - admittedly, they have less ballast than long term Steeler fans.

NM

Steelers
11-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Are you kidding? The chin was going crazy last year! Spit was flying, refs were chewed out.

This year, notsomuch. This is a very different coach.

Ambridge
11-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Are you kidding? The chin was going crazy last year! Spit was flying, refs were chewed out.

This year, notsomuch. This is a very different coach.

That's it right there!!
There's a night and day difference between the '05 Cowher and almost every year before that............. and the '06 Cowher.

I wouldn't expect Verron Haynes or any other player to come out and say anything other than "Everything is alright with Coach Cowher" and "That he's still the same old coach".

Once the season is over and Cowher hangs-em up I'm sure we'll find out more details about what really happened this season between the coach, players and the organization.

tony hipchest
11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
I thought you said he only got emotional when his team was winning/or close to winning?

NM

well thats your 1st problem. you thought. your 2nd problem is you do not comprehend what you read. you cannot show where i said anything about him getting "mad" just like you will not be able to show where i said he ONLY got emotional when his team was winning.

this is really getting to be bullshit where you are constantly misquoting me, putting words, in my mouth, and purposfully misrepresenting what i say, so you you can try to feel superior. it really exposes some underlying issues you are struggling with.

please read, and understand what you read, before you respond with some typical bs deception.

this topic was designed to spurn discussion, because i know it is one many on this board will not agree with. its like the "which came 1st, the chicken or the egg" debate. or answering the question "does confidence breed winning or does winning breed confidence"?

i am just putting it out on the table that maybe the winning breeds emotion rather than the emotion breeding winning. if you think you can win a little battle out of this to boost your ego then carry on. there really is no right answer. i have just chosen to present one side, cause it is a side that has not yet been presented while all this cowher bashing is going on in steelernation.

klick81
11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I'll have to disagree. I've seen the same emotion whether we're winning or losing in previous years. It's called being complacent. And he is.

HometownGal
11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
now this is a valid concern. i think alot just feel his spit has the healing power of belichicks flatulence: that a jutting jaw has been what has won so manny games. theres more to it than simple sideline behavior.

if anyone thinks cowher is not pissed by the losing they are crazy. any player ive heard comment on the matter says as much. if players are saying the fire is still there then i gotta believe them.

B-I-N-G-O! :thumbsup:

MACH1
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I'll have to disagree. I've seen the same emotion whether we're winning or losing in previous years. It's called being complacent. And he is.

DING DING DING we have a winner

Livinginthe past
12-01-2006, 01:40 AM
well thats your 1st problem. you thought. your 2nd problem is you do not comprehend what you read. you cannot show where i said anything about him getting "mad" just like you will not be able to show where i said he ONLY got emotional when his team was winning.

this is really getting to be bullshit where you are constantly misquoting me, putting words, in my mouth, and purposfully misrepresenting what i say, so you you can try to feel superior. it really exposes some underlying issues you are struggling with.

please read, and understand what you read, before you respond with some typical bs deception.

this topic was designed to spurn discussion, because i know it is one many on this board will not agree with. its like the "which came 1st, the chicken or the egg" debate. or answering the question "does confidence breed winning or does winning breed confidence"?

i am just putting it out on the table that maybe the winning breeds emotion rather than the emotion breeding winning. if you think you can win a little battle out of this to boost your ego then carry on. there really is no right answer. i have just chosen to present one side, cause it is a side that has not yet been presented while all this cowher bashing is going on in steelernation.

I always thought it was the chicken.

Oops there I go again.

Anyway, I dont see why you are getting so agitated - its your posts which dont make very much sense.

You tell me to 'read and understand' - then you you accuse me of 'bs deception' - im guessing i'd need to understand what I read before I could attempt to deceive.

Your not doing a very good job of playing devils advocate - I can't see one person agreeing with your emotional assessment.

Emotional in both senses.

NM

Mamaduck43
12-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I would be interested in an observation from someone who has been at a game and had their eyes on Cowher for most of the game..... The Director of the TV coverage has a lot to do with which camera shot will be aired.... With the 'supposed controversy' of Cowher's possible retirement, I am sure that some of the coverage is slanted to show him with the emotions that support their 'story'...... Good grief - - - if you had listened to the SB coverage last year without watching the game, you would have put Steelers uniforms on all of the officials - - - - we could all see what was actually happening, and reviews of the calls supported what we saw.... But when the 'talking heads' jumped onto some blather from the booth personnel, it was a whole different ball game.....

I have noticed a change in the Coach - - - I can sense his abject disappointment in what has been happening.... It shouldn't be going the way it is, but perhaps some of what we have seen this season is because everyone wants it TOO much..... Maybe Ben should have sat out longer - - - Troy should have let his shoulder heal before going out there - - - Hines, too..... The veterans on the team have the mindset that they should be able to fix things, and the rookies are making the usual rookie errors and the team is not able to compensate for what is happening for a lot of different reasons.... But it is a team thing and it has to be fixed as a team - - - each individual has to do their part, and if they are not 100% able to do it, they should back up and let someone else try..... But that is so hard to admit and accept.....

When you are number 1, you walk around with a big target on your back - - - - everyone wants a piece of you and most everyone that we have played this year has done their best to be able to say, "We beat the Champs!!!" And you will have to agree that if a couple of things had gone our way in most of our losses, we would be sitting here thinking about Miami.....

It has got to be rough to be hounded by the media constantly and have to explain what went wrong.... Cowher has done an excellent job of not pointing fingers, as has Ben...... I am sure that the whole team and the staff want to 'fix' things, but perhaps they are trying too many things rather than getting back to the basics.....

I still support Cowher, and I hope that he and the team can finish the season with some things that they can be proud of..... I think that they can, and I think that they will......

Steel Pit
12-01-2006, 03:13 AM
still cant point out where i said anything about him getting mad, huh?

anyways your "impression" was that cowher was just like manning and he would always choke in the big game so we know what thats worth. i also dont think youve been observing 15 years of steelers sideline behavior like the typical die hard steelerfan, so your impressions of his mannerisms are probably a little skewed. cowhers jaw and spit has taken on a life of its own.

and yes, cowher has always been emotional when his team is winning and he always cheers his team. he also coaches them.

case in point: last year vs indy when the refs blew the polamalu interception call, did you see cowher jumping and screaming and shoving overhead pictures into the refs pocket with spit and jowels flying?

no. he was on the sideline calmly coaching his team to a victory.

Wow! This whole Cowher thing is based on an individual perception. There are many perceptions of Cowher that one could walk away with. This isn't a true/false scenario so no one is wrong in their beliefs on this topic.

I too believe that Cowher doesn't coach with the same intensity that he once did but I'm putting the blame on nothing more than his AGE! OBVIOUS POINT HERE: As human beings get older they certainly don't possess the same fire that they did when they were younger.

Indy_Steelers
12-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't expect Verron Haynes or any other player to come out and say anything other than "Everything is alright with Coach Cowher" and "That he's still the same old coach".

Well, right now it is Veron's word agianst yours. I will go with they guy who is in the locker room, the film sessions and on the practice field with him for 40 hours a week. Cowher has been in Pittsburgh for 14 years with people ripping him appart for one thing or another and has has had quite a bit of success in spite of it. There are not many coaches in the league since he became a head coach that have done more than he has and that is why he will be in the Hall of Fame.

Infamix
12-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't agree, Tony. When I saw Cowher laughing and talking to Michael Vick as he was driving down the field, I knew he lost his "fire".

Livinginthe past
12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Wow! This whole Cowher thing is based on an individual perception. There are many perceptions of Cowher that one could walk away with. This isn't a true/false scenario so no one is wrong in their beliefs on this topic.

I too believe that Cowher doesn't coach with the same intensity that he once did but I'm putting the blame on nothing more than his AGE! OBVIOUS POINT HERE: As human beings get older they certainly don't possess the same fire that they did when they were younger.

You think 6 months in a coaches life can make that much difference to his attitude on the sideline?

I do too.

But only when that 6 months contains a SB win.

NM