PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben to buy police dog

Stlrs4Life
12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/01/bc.fbn.roethlisberger.police.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Big Ben to buy police dog

Steelers quarterback will help hometown fill void

Posted: Friday December 1, 2006 10:55AM; Updated: Friday December 1, 2006 11:05AM

FINDLAY, Ohio (AP) -- Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will help his hometown replace a police dog shot and killed when it wandered away from its handler's home.
Roethlisberger plans to donate money through his foundation to buy a new dog, said Findlay Police Chief Bill Spraw.
"My dad instilled in me a love and respect for animals," Roethlisberger said in a statement released Thursday. "This is a good way to combine that passion with a desire to support the police and fire departments."
The Steelers quarterback said he expects the grant to be the first of many to police and fire departments throughout the country.
The city paid about $15,000 for the dog along with its training and equipment in 2003.
Flip, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, was shot two weeks ago by a neighbor who said he felt threatened when the dog came on his property.
About 1,000 people, including police officers and students, gathered Thursday at memorial service for Flip. The dog made regular visits to schools that would hold fundraisers to buy equipment for Flip.
"Flip was an officer. He was our friend," Spraw said. "Our department suffered a great loss."

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Never hurts to get on the police departments good side. :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2006, 05:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/01/bc.fbn.roethlisberger.police.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Big Ben to buy police dog

Steelers quarterback will help hometown fill void

Posted: Friday December 1, 2006 10:55AM; Updated: Friday December 1, 2006 11:05AM

FINDLAY, Ohio (AP) -- Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will help his hometown replace a police dog shot and killed when it wandered away from its handler's home.
Roethlisberger plans to donate money through his foundation to buy a new dog, said Findlay Police Chief Bill Spraw.
"My dad instilled in me a love and respect for animals," Roethlisberger said in a statement released Thursday. "This is a good way to combine that passion with a desire to support the police and fire departments."
The Steelers quarterback said he expects the grant to be the first of many to police and fire departments throughout the country.
The city paid about $15,000 for the dog along with its training and equipment in 2003.
Flip, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, was shot two weeks ago by a neighbor who said he felt threatened when the dog came on his property.
About 1,000 people, including police officers and students, gathered Thursday at memorial service for Flip. The dog made regular visits to schools that would hold fundraisers to buy equipment for Flip.
"Flip was an officer. He was our friend," Spraw said. "Our department suffered a great loss."

As a member of law enforcement...I have to say that it is so refreshing to see a member of the NFL doing something PROMOTING authority instead of thumbing their nose at laws and officers!!!! Another point in Bens favor as far as I am concerned:thumbsup:

Preacher
12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
As a member of law enforcement...I have to say that it is so refreshing to see a member of the NFL doing something PROMOTING authority instead of thumbing their nose at laws and officers!!!! Another point in Bens favor as far as I am concerned:thumbsup:

National Felons League??? Promote authority? WOW. Good for Ben.

stillers4me
12-01-2006, 06:14 PM
What a guy. Atta boy, Big Ben!!!

(Maybe once the new dog is trained, they can bring him down here to Cincy to sniff out the Bengals locker room......)

Atlanta Dan
12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Nice story - I think Ben is a good guy who has just had a bad year since the SB.

In terms of it always being a good idea to be on good terms with local law enforcement, not a real smart move by the neighbor to shoot a police dog.

herewegosteelers
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
:heart: :love: :kiss02: He's such a sweetie!!

jaysta
12-01-2006, 07:00 PM
:heart: :love: :kiss02: He's such a sweetie!!

Awwwwww! :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
12-01-2006, 07:15 PM
no wonder the steelers suck. :rolleyes: ben is focused on dogs :rolleyes: im sure he will use this lack of focus on football as an excuse for losing :rolleyes:

good job ben. if we were bengalfans and this were about a bengals player, im sure this would be a beastiality story.

Ambridge
12-01-2006, 07:28 PM
As soon as that new dog is available Ben should borrow him for the day and let him loose in the coaches locker room with instructions to "attack".

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
good job ben. if we were bengalfans and this were about a bengals player, im sure this would be a beastiality story.

CINCINNATI- What sounded like moaning and yelping inside Paul Brown Stadium turned out to be Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer with a black lab. They were both penetr................eh, I'll stop there.

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Ben's just a class act.

PAMillerGrrl83
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Thats sooo awesome of Ben. Shows what a totally awesome guy he is off and on the field.