PDA

View Full Version : Prisuta: Holmes due in court Monday

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Prisuta: Holmes due in court Monday

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 2, 2006

Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes is scheduled to appear Heinz Field on Sunday afternoon against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and in court on Monday morning in Franklin County, Ohio.

Holmes is facing one count of assault and one count of domestic violence, both misdemeanors, stemming from an arrest June 19 in Columbus, Ohio.

"There's no resolution yet," Bill Meeks, Holmes' lead attorney, said on Friday afternoon. "I talked to the prosecutor's office today.

"We're not going to know for sure (if a trial can be avoided) until Monday morning. That's just the nature of these cases."

Holmes' case is scheduled to be heard at 10:30 a.m. by Judge Michael T. Brandt, according to the Franklin County Municipal Court clerk's office.

Holmes is accused of assaulting LaShae Boone, the mother of one of his three children.

Meeks had said Aug. 30 that he would continue to work toward a resolution of the case prior to Holmes' court date.

Meeks said Friday that a trial might last "two or three days."

The Steelers play host to the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night.

Holmes' case was continued Aug. 10 and again Aug. 30.

"There will be no further continuances," Brandt had said on Aug. 30 in granting the second continuance.

Witnesses have been subpoenaed, and a jury trial has been requested by Holmes, according to the Franklin County Municipal Court clerk's office.

When asked on Friday if he had to be in court in Columbus on Monday, Holmes replied, "I have no idea."

Meeks said Holmes would have to be present if the case goes to trial.

"He's trusting his lawyers to help him make decisions, and we'll help to do what's best for Santonio," Meeks said.

Holmes, the Steelers' No. 1 pick, is second on the team with 32 catches for 486 yards and one touchdown.

Hines Ward, who leads the Steelers in catches (57), receiving yards (786) and receiving touchdowns (six) will miss the Tampa Bay game and perhaps the Cleveland game while recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_482366.html

clevestinks
12-02-2006, 08:39 AM
I love the Steelers, BUT, treat him like everyone else. NO special treatment. Its time to be a man>

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 08:47 AM
I love the Steelers, BUT, treat him like everyone else. NO special treatment. Its time to be a man>

:iagree: A Tool in a steeler uniform is like a Bengal Fan in a Tuxedo...may look better but doesnt change its nature

stillers4me
12-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Hopefully this can be resolved and put behind him........he seems to have cleaned up his off the field behaviour quickly. This kid was really excited to be picked up by his favorite team ........the Steelers. I don't think we'll see a bad trend with this guy (think: Chris Henry). He should make restitution for what.......and if, he did anything like any other man should do. (I know of at least 2 cases personally where the woman made claims about men that were false, so it does happen.) On a lighter note.......maybe that's why he dropped a few balls......to make his market value in court go down!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Hopefully this can be resolved and put behind him........he seems to have cleaned up his off the field behaviour quickly. This kid was really excited to be picked up by his favorite team ........the Steelers. I don't think we'll see a bad trend with this guy (think: Chris Henry). He should make restitution for what.......and if, he did anything like any other man should do. (I know of at least 2 cases personally where the woman made claims about men that were false, so it does happen.) On a lighter note.......maybe that's why he dropped a few balls......to make his market value in court go down!!!

Im not sure if I believe everything this kid says at this point...My son wrote in a question on the Steelers.com..and asked who was his favorite former Steelers reciever ...and he answered.." I would have to say Hines Ward. He has been there the longest that I can remember since I have been a Steelers fan." :dang:

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Who a player's favorite team was as a kid/teenager means nothing today. It's all about the money and good PR. For all we know he could have been drafted by San Francisco and on arrival stating "The 49ers have always been my team, Jerry Rice is my idol.". Eitherway, I wish the kid the best. Since getting in trouble he's been staying out of it and I feel he will become a solid WR for this team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Who a player's favorite team was as a kid/teenager means nothing today. It's all about the money and good PR. For all we know he could have been drafted by San Francisco and on arrival stating "The 49ers have always been my team, Jerry Rice is my idol.". Eitherway, I wish the kid the best. Since getting in trouble he's been staying out it and I feel he will become a solid WR for this team.

I agree that he may turn out to be a good WR...but alot of he says stinks of being less than genuine...I would just like to see him show a little more character. As far as staying out of trouble I often wonder if that isnt more a product of the enviroment than of the man himself...If he had gone to a team whos players were more "forgiving" of bad behavior than his current teammates..*cough*Bengals*cough* ...would he be keeping his nose clean? But that is all speculative..and he may turn out to be a model citizen:rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I often wonder if that isnt more a product of the enviroment than of the man himself...If he had gone to a team whos players were more "forgiving" of bad behavior than his current teammates..*cough*Bengals*cough* ...would he be keeping his nose clean? But that is all speculative..and he may turn out to be a model citizen:rolleyes:

As for him staying out of trouble. It could be the "product of the enviroment" as you stated or it could be the fact that it took the kid getting in trouble in order for him to mature. Eitherway, I'll take it. As long as he stays out of trouble I really don't care.

stillers4me
12-02-2006, 09:48 AM
All I'm really trying to say is don't rush to judgement. He may very well have done what the woman claimed he did..........however I know of 2....no make that 3 men is my past that went on to have police reports filed against them for abuse and I know in my heart that NONE of them were guilty. I was married to my ex for 13 years.......he never came close to ever hitting me. His new wife claims pushed her down the stairs. Another man I've known my whole life and and had a relationship with after i was divorced and he would have never, ever thought about it. I know this man as well as I know myself. Yet he now has a police record for "hitting" a woman. Another I dated for 5 years and I still to this day would trust him with my life, and my sons. He never touched me that way. Yet his new wife filed a police report against him. All these women just wanted to make their lives miserable and to make them have a police record. I would trust all three of these men with my life!! The police always believe the woman no matter what. Now we have a kid here, that suddenly is in the money and the spotlight and has this filed against him. Obviously, since he has several children with several women (at a very young age) he hasn't had the best of judgement in his private life. I don't know what happened, I wasn't there and neither where any of us so just don't rush to judgement. Women make up things all the time because they can get away with it. And yes, men hit women. Who knows what really happened except the two people in the room that day.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 10:09 AM
As for him staying out of trouble. It could be the "product of the enviroment" as you stated or it could be the fact that it took the kid getting in trouble in order for him to mature. Eitherway, I'll take it. As long as he stays out of trouble I really don't care.

Well ....
1)Ben leaves phone messages for Santonio to call him and to give him advise ...Santonio says he never got them.
2) Wards public willingness to help Homes along...but says Santonio never approached him until well after his problems
3) Holmes states "I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half ,So I don't think I have anything to say to those guys. They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field." This was in response to his declining to apologize to the city after his second arrest

But again, I do agree with you that his current streak of keeping clean..may be a sign of maturity and finally opening his eyes to the reality of what is expected of him

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Well ....
1)Ben leaves phone messages for Santonio to call him and to give him advise ...Santonio says he never got them.
2) Wards public willingness to help Homes along...but says Santonio never approached him until well after his problems
3) Holmes states "I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half ,So I don't think I have anything to say to those guys. They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field." This was in response to his declining to apologize to the city after his second arrest

But again, I do agree with you that his current streak of keeping clean..may be a sign of maturity and finally opening his eyes to the reality of what is expected of him

With all three situations, it reminds me of this thread long ago........http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=9082

Thread #40 in particular. No point in repeating myself while beating a dead horse.

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Very surprised this has not been worked out - prosecutors have a victim who, as usual, is relucatnt to testify once the boyfriend and his posse lean on her - they probably have offered a decent plea deal and Holmes will not take it.

If he did it I hope he gets hit and hit hard.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 10:42 AM
With all three situations, it reminds me of this thread long ago........http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=9082

Thread #40 in particular. No point in repeating myself while beating a dead horse.

...and 4 months later....the jury (pun intended) is still out....but we agree that he still has time to prove to us that he is the player that we all hope he can be.

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Dealing with his past "actions" (once again, post #40 http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=9082) I believe they were completely blown out of proportion by those who have unconditional love for particular player on this roster and those who wanted the guy to come to their front door and offer an apology even though he did apologize on two different occasions.

As for his two arrests, the jury is still out. Up to this point he's behaved himself. Sooner or later we have to realize his past is exactly that. If he's convicted of his charges he should suffer the fullest extent of the law. If not, hopefully we as fans can move on.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
I believe they were completely blown out of proportion by those who have unconditional love for particular player on this roster....

......? I am afraid you lost me on that. Do you mean Ward?...because I dont think that anyone really looks at Holmes as a replacement for him...and none of the other recievers really have enough history to make me see Holmes as an unwanted threat

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 11:24 AM
......? I am afraid you lost me on that. Do you mean Ward?...because I dont think that anyone really looks at Holmes as a replacement for him...and none of the other recievers really have enough history to make me see Holmes as an unwanted threat

The "Ben/Santonio Phone Call Conspiracy" which nearly broke this franchise in half and moved it to Los Angeles at the beginning of the year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 11:34 AM
The "Ben/Santonio Phone Call Conspiracy" which nearly broke this franchise in half and moved it to Los Angeles at the beginning of the year.

OH, okay..you were talking about Ben. My bad, I assumed that you meant a WR. As a Illinois resident I have to be honest and say that I never realized that the "conspiracy" ever got that bad..I had never read anywhere that it almost moved the team....(or is there a sarcasm them that I am missing)

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 11:38 AM
OH, okay..you were talking about Ben. My bad, I assumed that you meant a WR. As a Illinois resident I have to be honest and say that I never realized that the "conspiracy" ever got that bad..I had never read anywhere that it almost moved the team....(or is there a sarcasm them that I am missing)

Yeah, that part was sarcasm....:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, that part was sarcasm....:thumbsup:

thought so:thmbup:

LambertLunatic
12-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Meeks said Friday that a trial might last "two or three days."

2 or 3 days for 2 misdemeanors in which the alleged victim wants the charges dropped? I agree that celebrities shouldn't be given preferential treatment, but neither should prosecuters be overly agressive because the accused is a celebrity.

Preacher
12-02-2006, 11:22 PM
If he did it.. He should get the SAME amount of time in jail... or deal with the same type of conviction.

However, I have to admit, I think Holmes is really growing up, and I am excited about our future with him.

However, I am still neutral... I want to see an offseason without an arrest first!