View Full Version : Roethlisberger a tough competitor

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 10:05 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/72244/

Roethlisberger a tough competitor
Thursday, November 30, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Head coach Bill Cowher was asked about Ben Roethlisberger's resilience this season during a conference call with the Tampa media and had words of praise for his quarterback.

"He's a tough kid, there's no question about that," said Cowher. "I think that's the one thing that has been very evident through it all. This is a guy who is a tremendous competitor, he's a team guy, and he's got unbelievable toughness. He's never been one to complain about not throwing it too much or throwing it too much and that's the thing that you go through your career."

The Steelers have been forced into going to the passing game more this year because the team has had to play from behind, and while it's something new to Roethlisberger, he has adjusted.

"We've done a pretty good job at being able to dictate things on offense and I think this year for the first time as him as our quarterback that we have been behind," said Cowher. "We've had to throw the ball more than we've been running the football and sometimes the circumstances have dictated that. But he's been one that he's going to give you everything he's got when he's out there. That's one thing that you can be assured of. I think that's why he's the leader that he is."

Cowher knows what it's like to play against the team you cheered for growing up and understands what Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, a Pittsburgh native, will be going through on Sunday.

"It is a great story," said Cowher. The kid has done a good job down there. He stepped in and I think he is getting better every game.

"It will be one of those things that stepping into the stadium and playing against his hometown team will be a special moment for him. I just hope that it is not one that is real memorable."

The Pittsburgh Steelers will team up with the Marine Corps for a Toys for Tots drive at the Steelers-Buccaneers game on Sunday, December 3. Uniformed Marines will have two vehicles set up on Art Rooney Avenue for the collection along with collection bins at Gates A and C, beginning at 1 p.m. and ending 15 minutes after kickoff. All fans are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped toy to help the needy in our area have a merrier Christmas. Toys are especially needed for girls and boys ages infant to three and 7-12. It is also asked that no "weapon toy" be included.

Reminder: Kickoff for Sunday's game against the Buccaneers at Heinz Field is at 4:15 p.m.

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Already posted: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12864

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks For That. LOCKING THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY.