PDA

View Full Version : where will our assistant coaches go?

tony hipchest
12-02-2006, 11:36 PM
does cowher spit in the face of and jut his jaw to his assistants? ive never seen it, but if not what has motivated them to be winners, and what part of this losing season falls on their shoulders? could cowhers unknown contract situation cause these guys to suck all of a sudden? i dont think so, but if the rooneys are gonna go in another direction where will these guys find work? there wont be many head coaching openings this year, as most teams are either commited to a new coach or happy with a successful coach they have although few are as successful as cowher.

lebeau - retires
wiz - washington (he could do alot with that offense)
grimm - arizona (he could help that offensive line)

i could see a bidding war go on between arizona and washington for either of these 2. i think grimm would be a great fit in washington and i think arizona would be happy to "settle" for wiz.

darkhorse openings could be: san diego or the giants. i think billick is safe. if gruden is fired i wouldnt mind him in pittsburgh. art shell could possibly be gone too, but i doubt if any of these jobs come open.

really i dont wanna see any of thes guys go but i dont wanna see cowher leave either. maybe the rooneys have already told cowher that if he dont accept a low ball extension, one of these 2 will be his replacement.

but are either of these 2 capable of motivating our current players without the spit and the jaw?

Indy_Steelers
12-03-2006, 05:58 AM
if gruden is fired i wouldnt mind him in pittsburgh.

I tossed this thought to a few Steelers fans here in Indy and they all said, " What has he done?" and I thought good question.
Quite a few of them thought Jeff Fisher would be good. What do you think? I think the Titans are tying his hands.

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2006, 07:41 AM
They forget that Gruden is the reason why Tampa Bay has a Super Bowl. at least one of the reasons.

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2006, 08:39 AM
I tossed this thought to a few Steelers fans here in Indy and they all said, " What has he done?" and I thought good question.
Quite a few of them thought Jeff Fisher would be good. What do you think? I think the Titans are tying his hands.

Fisher is an excellent coach but, except for Belichek, hiring a former HC usually does not end well.

I thought Fisher was gone but the Titans recent play may save him. If he goes the rumor is he is heading to Dallas (although now that he has a QB Parcells may hang around after this season).

As I stated in another post, I believe Cowher is leaving and that the Steelers will hire a young coordinator from outside the organization (Rivera in Chicago?) to replace him.

This came up in other threads several weeks ago, but do not underestimate the significnce of the Rooneys being boxed into paying more than lip service to the Ronney Rule in any hiring process.

Indy_Steelers
12-03-2006, 08:43 AM
They forget that Gruden is the reason why Tampa Bay has a Super Bowl. at least one of the reasons.

No, but our thought on that was that he did it with a team that was built by someone else. I like Gruden but he just can't seem to ge to the next level. Who knows, maybe in the Steeler's system he can.

nepf2006
12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
never mind where your assistent coaches go worry about where you teams heart and soul is. because it's quite obvious they do have either. otherwis they would show up and defend their christmas title they were given last yr.

83-Steelers-43
12-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Thread #2 he's hijacked while repeating himself.

Ambridge
12-03-2006, 09:36 AM
No to Gruden!!

1. Do we want to see the West Coast offense in Pittsburgh??

2. Gruden inherated a team that was pretty much established by Tony Dungy.

3. Gruden won a Superbowl playing a team and QB-Rich Gannon that he knew like the
back of his hand and had the Tampa defense zeroed in on all of Gannons
tendencies.

4. Bill Callahan the HC of the Raiders in SB XXXVII supposedly didn't change any of the
offensive terminology and signals when Gruden left for Tampa which made for easy
pickings against the Raiders.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-03-2006, 10:49 AM
No to Gruden!!

1. Do we want to see the West Coast offense in Pittsburgh??

2. Gruden inherated a team that was pretty much established by Tony Dungy.

3. Gruden won a Superbowl playing a team and QB-Rich Gannon that he knew like the
back of his hand and had the Tampa defense zeroed in on all of Gannons
tendencies.

4. Bill Callahan the HC of the Raiders in SB XXXVII supposedly didn't change any of the
offensive terminology and signals when Gruden left for Tampa which made for easy
pickings against the Raiders.

I'm with you no Gruden in Pittsburgh. I can't see Big Ben being a west coast QB or the Steelers running the west coast offense in Pittsburgh. Yea Gruden did win a Super Bowl with the Bucs but he hasn't done a great job at building the Bucs. Like you said and everyone knew that Tony Dungy built that Bucs team that Gruden won it all with.

noto45
12-03-2006, 11:10 AM
my choice is Ron Rivera we could use a motivated defensive coach!

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-03-2006, 11:22 AM
If Bill goes IMHO I don't see Wiz or Grimm getting the HC job here. The Rooneys seem to like to hire a HC from out of the organization.

Rotorhead
12-03-2006, 11:31 AM
The Bears run a 4-3 so that would be a terrible fit for our team that is built on the 3-4. We would be stuck in 2-3 years of retooling out entire def and thus 2-3 years of terrible defensive play.

BigDuke6
12-03-2006, 11:32 AM
If Bill goes IMHO I don't see Wiz or Grimm getting the HC job here. The Rooneys seem to like to hire a HC from out of the organization.

Agreed. It wont be either the Whiz or Grimm. They will go. I believe LeBeau will stay because he has the respect of virtually the entire football world and he will stay until he retires (fingers crossed). I think if a HC will be brought in Jeff Fisher has the inside track. Other than that a co-ordinator from somewhere else will be the way they go. And yes, Rivera would be a natch.

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
The Bears run a 4-3 so that would be a terrible fit for our team that is built on the 3-4. We would be stuck in 2-3 years of retooling out entire def and thus 2-3 years of terrible defensive play.

Noll switched from the 4-3 to the 3-4 in the early 80s and the defensive stats improved immediately - hard to say what the effect of the switch would be, but it is not as if the defense has been a roaring success this season.

As for LeBreau, the rumors I have heard is that he is ready to retire - like a ;lot of others, he apparently finally got what he wanted last season.

Dynasty
12-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I must say... Ron Rivera would be a really kickass HC.

Big D
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
with the offense floundering and the offensive line looking like holy hell. I dont see whiz or grimm getting the hc gig. I support and would love to see mike tomlin get the job

tony hipchest
12-03-2006, 01:41 PM
so where will wisenhunt and grimm be working next year?

Big D
12-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I could see russ grimm going to washington. And whisenhunt I could see getting the cardinal gig

fansince'76
12-03-2006, 09:28 PM

Yeah, he took a team that somebody else built and got them over the hump. And that team has been in a downward spiral pretty much ever since. Serves the Glaziers right for screwing over Dungy the way they did.

WWIIOwheelz
12-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Grimm is from here, and knows both sides of the ball with an emphasis on playing physical.

My gut feeling is that he's the next head coach.

coachspeak33
12-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I have stated on this site before that if Cowher bails at the conclusion of this season.... I have more of a preference of who I dont want, rather than who i specifically want. I have seen enough this year to question my pre-2006 season confidence in the whiz and grimm.

I think this organization has way too many talented players who are underachieving to see the status quo held up. Our players need to experience a bit of a shake up. Not a complete overhaul of the staff and but replacing Cowher from within IMO would be a huge misttake.

I think Fisher would be a great fit.... he would command repect from the players instantly. Unlike Gruden, he doesnt have a very exotic offensive playbook or scheme like the west coast offense.... also he might be the kind of guy that could convince Lebeau to continue as D coordinator. Fisher also is experienced without being very old... so he is a guy that could conceivably stick in Pittsbburgh for several seasons.

After hearing news of Bill turning down (officially) the NC St job I am convinced he will be back.... which only pisses me off more when I think of how he handled this whole season.

Hopefully, Bill got his little ego stroked enough this season and maybe, just maybe he will get both his coaches and players prepared for the 2007 season.