PDA

View Full Version : Well, we got tornadoed.

Mosca
12-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Power just came on a few minutes ago, it's been out since 5PM Friday night. It's damn cold in the house, because we have electric baseboard heat.

We shipped our daughter off to a friend's house, and my dad to his girlfriend's.

Our house caught the tail end of it. Most folks fared better than we did, some worse and some lots worse. By my assessment it hit us when it was dying out, maybe skipping along the ground. We lost a big evergreen tree, part of the chimney and about 1/2 the shingles on the roof, and the columns holding up the front porch are skewed. All the cars are OK; they were alll outside, we haven't been able to use the garage for a couple weeks because of the bad flooding from 2 weeks ago which got into the basement about 2" deep and ruined the new carpet that we'd installed last summer.

I'll post up some pictures later today. I'm going to get warmed up and when the hot water tank is hot I'm going to take a long shower, and shave.

Tom

Black@Gold Forever32
12-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the damage to your house. Glad to hear your family is alright.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Power just came on a few minutes ago, it's been out since 5PM Friday night. It's damn cold in the house, because we have electric baseboard heat.

We shipped our daughter off to a friend's house, and my dad to his girlfriend's.

Our house caught the tail end of it. Most folks fared better than we did, some worse and some lots worse. By my assessment it hit us when it was dying out, maybe skipping along the ground. We lost a big evergreen tree, part of the chimney and about 1/2 the shingles on the roof, and the columns holding up the front porch are skewed. All the cars are OK; they were alll outside, we haven't been able to use the garage for a couple weeks because of the bad flooding from 2 weeks ago which got into the basement about 2" deep and ruined the new carpet that we'd installed last summer.

I'll post up some pictures later today. I'm going to get warmed up and when the hot water tank is hot I'm going to take a long shower, and shave.

Tom

We had over 500,000 homes without power in upper Illinois...and on friday night our police/fire/ambulance dispatch loss power to primary and redundant systems...luckily in Illinois we are required to have a backup center, which picked up our dispatch until we could get up and running .

We STILL have people calling in here asking "when is my power coming back on?"...Drives me frickin crazy..." Sir, you need to call your power company and they can give you a better idea then we here at the 911 Center can:dang: "

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
That's got to SUCK. Good to hear things are going well.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear all is well, and that you got power in time for the games.

floodcitygirl
12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage to your home Tom. Glad the family is safe.

Mosca
12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks friends. There's been folks around the country over the last year who've had it lots worse than us; but this last year has just sucked for the obstacles that we've had to beat. It's great in that we've persevered and overcome, but I don't get too worked up when our boys in B&G win or lose. They're small potatoes compared.

Here's a link (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/tornado/) to pictures from around the neighborhood, our house is the pale bi-level in the "night" pictures.

It looks OK, until you notice it's a little bit lopsided...

Tom

tony hipchest
12-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks friends. There's been folks around the country over the last year who've had it lots worse than us; but this last year has just sucked for the obstacles that we've had to beat. It's great in that we've persevered and overcome, but I don't get too worked up when our boys in B&G win or lose. They're small potatoes compared.

Here's a link (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/tornado/) to pictures from around the neighborhood, our house is the pale bi-level in the "night" pictures.

It looks OK, until you notice it's a little bit lopsided...

Tompretty hardore. hope the insurance co.s traet you well without too much assdragging bs.

floodcitygirl
12-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Wow. Hope your repairs go smoothly! What a pain. I hate living under construction...just have to think about how great it will look when it's done. :smile:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Mosca

Brother I apologize..I have read this several times and JUST NOW realized that the thread says TORNADO!!!....I was thinking you caught a part of the ice storm that we were a part of (Nice awareness on my part)...I am very glad to hear that your family made it out okay....thats what is truly important. The house and the items are secondary but I realize STILL very important...any problems with insurance? I am going to be paying that wverything works out for your family and you all can get back to normal as soon as possible!!!:thumbsup:

skidboot
12-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Hope it all works out for you Mosca.

Sheesh!

HometownGal
12-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Oh my gosh, Tom!!! Thank God you and your family are safe and escaped harm. I'm so sorry about the damage to your home and as Tony said, I hope the insurance company gets right on this so that your lives can get back to normal again. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

We had high winds here most of that afternoon, but nothing like you experienced. I have a huge picture window in my LR and one of the gusts was so strong that I thought the window was going to blow in, so I lived in my bedroom for the day. I experienced a tornado when I lived in Wichita many moons ago and don't ever want to experience another.

sumo
12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear about all this Tom - but it sounds like you and your family are safe - best of luck to you in puttin git back together!

Preacher
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
God bless, I am glad your family is safe.

I know the feeling. I was in Louisville for the big storms 2 1/2 years ago. We had tornado after tornado rip through... luckily none hit our house.

Now.. I live in the Bay area.. COME ON EARTHQUAKE!