PDA

View Full Version : One Benefit Of Injuries

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Injuries to starters obviously are almost always not a good event (counter-example - Ben for Maddox in 2004), both in terms of the impact upon the player and the competitiveness of the team.

That having been said, with the season being shot, the injuries to Hines, Troy, and Clark apparently gives Cowher no choice but to play Holmes, Washington, and Smith for extended minutes.

While for a different reason, McFadden getting PT because Taylor has been buried under Cowher's doghouse allows a potential future starter to demonstrate if he is up to the task, by showing such talents as a successful defense of a fade pattern in the end zone that no other Steeler CB has been able to pull off this season.

We may even get to see if there is any hope for the return game if Willie Reid can recover from his amputation or whatever has kept him off the field since the San Diego game (that must have been one serious foot sprain) to return some kicks.

It's not much, but at least it is something to give hope for the future.

tony hipchest
12-04-2006, 03:16 PM
i keep thinking of the final game in 05, on the way to a 15-1 season when a bunch of back ups and an unknown rookie named willie came in and handed buffalo their ass.

Preacher
12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I was excited to see Anthony Smith come in last night. Man, did he have a big hit on that punt.

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, all of the back ups did well. But I can't wait for the starters to come back (Troy and Hines)

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelerFanInCA
12-04-2006, 04:28 PM
It should be interesting to see some of the backups step up as they bid for jobs next season.

t-mill
12-04-2006, 05:29 PM
yea, I was impressed with the back-ups... Washington and Mcfadden especially

RoethlisBURGHer
12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I wish I coulda seen the game.

If some guys step up and play,next year with the new coach,we might cut some dead weight.

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
If that happens, who risks getting cut and why?

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2006, 08:24 PM
If that happens, who risks getting cut and why?

In terms of starters, Townsend and Wilson.

Taylor will be a starter next year and McFadden will go on the other corner.

If Washington shows anything at all, Holmes and Ward are the starters next year, Washington is the #3 receiver, and Wilson's money can go somwhere else.

Smith showing anything at safety certainly makes Mike Logan and possibly Tyrone Carter vulnerable, but I think Logan is gone regardless.

Cowher will not do it because it will drive his buddy Porter nuts in the offseason, but I would like to see Harrison get some reps at OLB now that he is healed up. Need to figure out what to do about the LB corps even if a new coach goes to some 4-3 next year.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
In terms of starters, Townsend and Wilson.

Taylor will be a starter next year and McFadden will go on the other corner.

If Washington shows anything at all, Holmes and Ward are the starters next year, Washington is the #3 receiver, and Wilson's money can go somwhere else.

Smith showing anything at safety certainly makes Mike Logan and possibly Tyrone Carter vulnerable, but I think Logan is gone regardless.

Cowher will not do it because it will drive his buddy Porter nuts in the offseason, but I would like to see Harrison get some reps at OLB now that he is healed up. Need to figure out what to do about the LB corps even if a new coach goes to some 4-3 next year.

Dan, I don't understand why since Harrison is healthy he is rotating at OLB with Porter and Haggans. My brother and I were talking about this yesterday during the game. Plus wouldn't be nice to see Rian Wallace get some snaps at ILB. It would be nice to see if he is worth keeping around. Plus where is Trai Essex? He can't be worse then turnstyle oh I mean Max Starks.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Did anyone on the Steeler staff school Tyrone Carter about the risk of taunting after a third down stop? I couldn't believe my eyes. The Tampa receiver was on his back on the ground and Carter was acting like he stood up Earl Campbell on fourth and goal to win an AFCCG.

DUDE!!! Carter should go. Wilson can go too.

Nice to see McFadden's patented 'cushion' inadvertently netted a positive. Harrison was flat out nasty on special teams so why he hasn't played more since his return is odd.