PDA

View Full Version : Charges Against Holmes Dropped

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
No big shock here

Judge Michael T. Brandt dismissed charges of domestic violence and assault after being assured by Mr, Holmes' lawyers that their client has been involved in a counseling program offered by the National Football League.

The charges stemmed from a June 19 incident involving LaShae Boone of Columbus, the mother of one of his three children.

"It doesn't mean anger-management classes," Mr. Holmes said after the hearing. "It just means I needed someone else to talk with about all the situations and to get an understanding of what was going on."

Mr. Holmes' Columbus girlfriend, Ms. Boone, had been reluctant to testify against the 22-year-old former Ohio State University standout who the Steelers selected in the first round of this year's NFL draft. She offered no comment as assistant city prosecutor Steven McIntosh requested dismissal of the charges

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743463-100.stm

Typically articulate comment from Santonio on what the counseling program involves. Maybe the NFL should just give these players cue cards to read when they are attempting to explain how the get out of jail free card (oops - I mean "counseling program") works.

Preacher
12-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Agreed.

Well, we'll see. One thing about abusers, regardless if it is women, drugs, etc. they go back and abuse again most of the time.

So let's see what happens over the next few years. I will tell you one thing though. If I were the Rooney's, I would take him aside and explain to him that he has received a second chance. If he blows it, he is gone.

Livinginthe past
12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I dont see how jail time ever really benefits guys like Santonio, if anything it probably makes the situation worse.

Hopefully he can take this opportunity to get his head straight and focus on a potentially excellent pro-football career.

NM

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
LITP - exactly who does benefit from jail?

Livinginthe past
12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
LITP - exactly who does jail benefit?

Well thats an interesting question.

I think jail actually 'benefits' very few of the people who are sent there, especially people who have been convicted of relatively minor crimes.

It seems to me that guys (typically) that get sent down for stuff like stealing cars often come out of jail, not only more efficient at that particular crime, but also adept at other, more serious , crimes.

The stigma that is created by serving time, often makes it very difficult for ex-convicts to make a real go of things on the outside world.

Now im not expecting any tears for these people, but its in our interests to give them the incentive to lead a law abiding life.

The people who should be locked up are the ones who pose a persistent threat to society in general, and I dont think any amount of jail time is going to rehabilitate these people.

It would be better for everyone if they were given a lethal injection, and not left to rot in an institute where they are a drain on the resources of everyone else.

NM

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2006, 06:30 PM
No surprise there.