PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Staley, Place Reid on Injured List; Sign Familiar Faces

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Steelers Release Staley, Place Reid on Injured List; Sign Familiar Faces

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers made several roster moves today, including the release of veteran running back Duce Staley.

Staley, a 10-year veteran, was in his third season with the Steelers but had not been active on game day this season since Week 1. In two-plus seasons with the Steelers, Staley played in 16 games and made 11 starts, and rushed for 978 yards and two touchdowns on 230 carries (4.3 avg.). He also caught 12 passes for 89 yards (7.4 avg.).

Staley signed with the Steelers on March 12, 2004 as an unrestricted free agent from the Philadelphia Eagles. He enjoyed his best season with the team that year when he rushed for 830 yards and one touchdown on 192 carries (4.3 avg.). Staley has rushed for 5,785 yards and 24 touchdowns on 1,430 carries (4.0 avg.), and caught 287 passes for 2,587 yards (9.0 avg.) and 10 scores during his career. He was originally drafted by the Eagles in the third round (71st overall) of the 1997 NFL Draft out of South Carolina.

The Steelers also announced that rookie wide receiver Willie Reid has been placed on the team's reserve/injured list and will miss the remainder of the season. Reid, who was the team's third round draft choice in 2006 (95th overall), injured his foot Oct. 8 at San Diego in his only action of the season. Reid returned one kickoff for 19 yards and one punt for 11 yards this season.

The Steelers filled their open roster spots by signing veteran cornerback Chidi Iwuoma and wide receiver Lee Mays.

Iwuoma originally signed with the Steelers as a free agent in 2002 but was released Sept. 6 this year prior to the team's season opener. Iwuoma served as special teams co-captain for the Steelers in both 2004 and '05. He recorded 69 special teams' tackles in four seasons with the team after beginning his NFL career in 2001 with the Detroit Lions.

Mays was originally selected by the Steelers in the sixth round (202nd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft. He spent training camp with the team in 2006 before being released on Sept. 2. Mays was also released in camp by the team in 2005, but was re-signed on Jan. 10, 2006, after wide receiver Quincy Morgan broke his leg in the Steelers' Wild Card playoff game at Cincinnati. Mays has caught 11 passes for 154 yards (14.0 avg.) and returned 36 kickoffs for 750 yards (20.8 avg.) during his career with the Steelers (2002-04).

http://news.steelers.com/article/72484/

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:15 PM
So there goes Reid for the season. It took them this long?

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Minus the Mays signing, it seems as though all these moves could/should have been made weeks ago when it actually counted.

SteelerFanInCA
12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Man, I didn't think they were ever going to release duce. It took them long enough. :dang:

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Who's going to be Duce's replacement for sideline gear model?

NOBODY sports battleship gray and plays with their genitals like DUCE does on the sidelines.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/268150.jpg

klick81
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Finally! Aaaaand they got Chidi! WOOT WOOT!!!

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah I've been waiting for this to happen, :cheers: :cheers: A win against Tampa and Duce leaving.
Although, Duce was good back in the day, oh well, he had a long career. I doubt this will happen, but what would happen if we signed him back?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Big D
12-04-2006, 04:39 PM
i'm shocked that deush finally got cut

Texasfan
12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Mays is a good pickup. He knows the system and we're short on recievers!

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:44 PM
We have Davenport and we dropped a Duce.

Livinginthe past
12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Is there any significance, in terms of cap hit, to the fact they chose to release Staley now and not weeks ago?

You have to doubt the potential of a WR beaten out by the current crop filling the Pittsburgh roster - is this a case of making up numbers or are ST team being addressed at this late date?

NM

Ambridge
12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Minus the Mays signing, it seems as though all these moves could/should have been made weeks ago when it actually counted.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/csk/CSK164/KS6534.jpg http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/csk/CSK164/KS6534.jpg
One Dunce Cap for Cowher and Colbert for not unloading Duce a long time ago and for letting Chidi go in the first place!

klick81
12-04-2006, 05:09 PM
We have Davenport and we dropped a Duce.

BWAHAHA!!!:sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I am glad we picked up Chidi, and guess we will be seeing Mays on KO returns.

t-mill
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't blame anyone but Duce for us keeping him that long, you could tell from questions asked of Cowher that he wanted him to get back into the lineup, I just think Duce didn't work hard enough in the offseason, and throughout the year to get his legs back... it's unfortunate that he had to hold a valuable roster spot hostage all year, but I think all the blame should be on him... If he decides to do it, I wouldn't doubt seeing him on another team actually wearing a uniform

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
The personnel moves are about as well executed as the on the field performances this year.

A little over 3 months too late with Duce. Maybe he gets some sort of incentive if he showed up on the sideline for 12 games.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2006, 05:23 PM
FINALLY! Good Bye Duce.

WELCOME BACK TO PITTSBURGH CHIDI!!!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM
The personnel moves are about as well executed as the on the field performances this year.

That's the truth.

PisnNapalm
12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
*faints*

Good Lord it took them long enough!!! They should have cut him after training camp.

NV STEELERS 723
12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I wish Duce good luck if he catches on w/ another team.....I liked his power style, its too bad his health could have been better

Infamix
12-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I kind of miss Duce, oh well. Im glad Iwoma is back

msafford
12-04-2006, 07:18 PM

NOBODY sports battleship gray and plays with their genitals like DUCE does on the sidelines.

Holy crap...I laughed my a$$ off reading this. :toofunny: How's about Duce start a new career in professional billiards? obviously he has talent handling his own balls.

Dylan
12-04-2006, 07:24 PM
i am just glad to get chidi back

CrimsonSteeler3443
12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Miami here we come!!!!!!!

SUPABOLE

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, maybe we can turn this around now. We need another CB. I think that this will help us. I too hope that he does find luck with another team. He'll only be in the league for a short while though. I mean, the guy has 10 years NFL experience.

fansince'76
12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Duce - a great guy, but an unreliable player and a liability to the team.

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
How much money did he get paid anyway. He got paid for games that he never even played in.

~Polamalufan43 :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
How much money did he get paid anyway. He got paid for games that he never even played in.

~Polamalufan43 :tt02:

Duce was paid for hanging out, sort of like the guy in the office who never gets laid off becuase he laughs at the boss's jokes and tells the boss how smart he is.

Remember the line at the end of the Super Bowl video where Cowher and Duce are bonding and Cowher tells Duce "I didn't get you a carry - but I got you a ring!" Pretty much sums up the legacy of Duce being taken care of regardless of whether he did anything.

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that. I actually felt somewhat okay about it then. I mean, the guy needed something to make him feel important. Oh well, that's in the past. Duce left with a ring, he left with a full career of ten years, it's time for him to go.

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I give props to Cowher for actually giving him another chance. That shows some serious class.

ChronoCross
12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Chidi great bring back. Mays I would be questionable about but he is a good route runner. But he can drop balls like we have all year long.

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
I say we give him a chance. Half of the WR are banged up, so we need anyone who's healthy playing. I think this will be a good move.

j-dawg
12-04-2006, 08:17 PM

:chuckle: :checkit: :toofunny:

Prosdo
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
It's about time we got rid of that cheerleader! Welcome back Chidi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NV STEELERS 723
12-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Duce was paid for hanging out, sort of like the guy in the office who never gets laid off becuase he laughs at the boss's jokes and tells the boss how smart he is.

Remember the line at the end of the Super Bowl video where Cowher and Duce are bonding and Cowher tells Duce "I didn't get you a carry - but I got you a ring!" Pretty much sums up the legacy of Duce being taken care of regardless of whether he did anything.

OK... I had to come back to this post... I was thinking about all the negative stuff w/ Duce... that you members here said about him......how bout some positives?????.....

1.) He never complained...told BC to play Jerome
2.) He took a pay cut so the STEELERS could do the cap stuff...
3.) He ran hard when he was healthy
4.) Most of all he was the "consumate pro"....he never made "waves" and if he was healthy enough to play .. he would have... so quit blaming Duce that he was getting paid to wear STEELERS gear on the sidelines.... blame management ...write BC... write the Rooneys...

I think he dersevers our well wishes....not our negative BS feedback .... Do we even we really for sure Duce didn't ask for his own release??????

GOOD LUCK DUCE in retirement, or your playing future.....

NV STEELERS 723
12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
OK... I had to come back to this post... I was thinking about all the negative stuff w/ Duce... that you members here said about him......how bout some positives?????.....

4.) Most of all he was the "consumate pro"....he never made "waves" and if he was healthy enough to play .. he would have... so quit blaming Duce that he was getting paid to wear STEELERS gear on the sidelines.... blame management ...write BC... write the Rooneys...

I think he dersevers our well wishes....not our negative BS feedback .... Do we even we really for sure Duce didn't ask for his own release??????

And Thank You for being a Steeler! At least from me..

tony hipchest
12-04-2006, 09:36 PM

:rofl: too true!

hes been saying he wants the balls in his hands.

tony hipchest
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
You have to doubt the potential of a WR beaten out by the current crop filling the Pittsburgh roster - is this a case of making up numbers or are ST team being addressed at this late date?

NMnot when his foot is injured. its not like hes being placed on the inactive list like chad jackson or anything. he was drafted to be an immediate ST player, and then develop into a wr. if he were healthy mays wouldnt be needed.

MACH1
12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Good bye towel boy. Its about f'n time..

fansince'76
12-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Staley's actually a good guy. Unfortunately he has been dead weight on the roster due mainly to injuries. A victim of bad luck more than anything. I wish him luck.

tony hipchest
12-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Staley's actually a good guy. Unfortunately he has been dead weight on the roster due mainly to injuries. A victim of bad luck more than anything. I wish him luck. didnt he say that his initial injury with the steelers, the one that essentially ended his season, was caused by a cheapshot at the bottom of the pile in the 04 patriots game?

fansince'76
12-05-2006, 12:40 AM
didnt he say that his initial injury with the steelers, the one that essentially ended his season, was caused by a cheapshot at the bottom of the pile in the 04 patriots game?

I seem to recall Bruschi allegedly punching him in the hamstring, yes.

Preacher
12-05-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty sure he's a lock to be signed by the Redskins for $5 million a year.

Don't you mean the Raiders?:sofunny: Bye bye Duce. I was happy when you came, you ran well for us the first half of the first season,

Now, I am happy you are gone. Enjoy the ring. You were man enough to stay silent on the sidelines last year... and let Bettis have his last moments of glory. Thank you for being an adult.

fansince'76
12-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Don't you mean the Raiders?:sofunny: Bye bye Duce.

Yes, Al Davis' senility is really coming through nowadays, isn't it?

Preacher
12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Nowadays??? ROTFL... Remember when he would go after the Superbowl MVP.. pick him up in free agency, and you would never hear about the player again? ROTFL.

fansince'76
12-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Nowadays??? ROTFL... Remember when he would go after the Superbowl MVP.. pick him up in free agency, and you would never hear about the player again? ROTFL.

Excellent point - Larry Brown and Desmond Howard - and that was a decade ago now. Jeez, I'm getting old. His senility has gotten even worse since though, you have to admit.

Infamix
12-05-2006, 06:32 AM
I don't get the Duce bashing.

HometownGal
12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
I, too, liked Duce, but all he was doing was taking up space on the roster the past two seasons and it was high time the Steelers shit or got off the pot with him. As with any other player who leaves the team, I appreciate his contributions in the early part of his tenure with the Steelers, give him props for the classy way he stepped aside for The Bus last season, and wish him only the best in his career. :thumbsup: :cheers:

NV STEELERS 723
12-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I, too, liked Duce, but all he was doing was taking up space on the roster the past two seasons and it was high time the Steelers shit or got off the pot with him. As with any other player who leaves the team, I appreciate his contributions in the early part of his tenure with the Steelers, give him props for the classy way he stepped aside for The Bus last season, and wish him only the best in his career. :thumbsup: :cheers:

Thanks HomeTownGal...just wanted to throw this up there again...you made a good post!:cheers:

NV STEELERS 723
12-05-2006, 08:46 PM

to support HometownGAL....Good luck Duce:thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 08:49 PM
While I had high expectations for Duce this season, when he arrived in camp completely out of shape that showed a complete lack of respect to this organization and a complete lack of work ethic. Anybody else in a different field of work WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED. Why should he be judged any differently?

The guy got paid (very nicely) to show up at camp out of shape and to sit the bench. Zero sympathy or respect in my book. Give me a @#$%&@# break.

NV STEELERS 723
12-05-2006, 09:07 PM
While I had high expectations for Duce this season, when he arrived in camp completely out of shape that showed a complete lack of respect to this organization and a complete lack of work ethic. Anybody else in a different field of work WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED. Why should he be judged any differently?

The guy got paid (very nicely) to show up at camp out of shape and to sit the bench. Zero sympathy or respect in my book. Give me a @#$%&@# break.

Your opinion...and you have every right to express it...AS far as the $$$ subject that was on BC and the Rooneys, so how can we complain????

I'm just saying when Duce played, he ran hard.... and BC or anyone else never said Duce did not arrive in shape.... he was still recovering from knee surgery in this years camp...my wife and I are both golfers, and she has had 3 ACL tears....8 surgerys on her right knee..... so I know when Duce had his knee surgery to repair his meniscus ( my wifes 8th surgery) it could be 2 years before he would be 100 percent....

I think as fans sometimes we are too hard on a situation, that we don't know the whole story.... AGAIN... do we know for sure Duce didn't ask for his own release???? And it wouldn't matter any... nobody except players, and BC will know the truth...

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
How is it an "opinion"?

I'm not blaming him for taking the money. I'm not blaming him for the amount he was paid. I am blaming him for showing a complete lack of respect towards this organization by showing up in camp completely out of shape. Nevermind the fact that is shows a complete lack of discipline. When you are getting paid that type of cash, don't you think you owe it to the team, franchise and fans to show up in shape? BTW, him showing up at camp completely out of shape is no secret. At least not here in Pittsburgh/Latrobe.

One player is not above this franchise.

Livinginthe past
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Your opinion...and you have every right to express it...AS far as the $$$ subject that was on BC and the Rooneys, so how can we complain????

I'm just saying when Duce played, he ran hard.... and BC or anyone else never said Duce did not arrive in shape.... he was still recovering from knee surgery in this years camp...my wife and I are both golfers, and she has had 3 ACL tears....8 surgerys on her right knee..... so I know when Duce had his knee surgery to repair his meniscus ( my wifes 8th surgery) it could be 2 years before he would be 100 percent....

I think as fans sometimes we are too hard on a situation, that we don't know the whole story.... AGAIN... do we know for sure Duce didn't ask for his own release???? And it wouldn't matter any... nobody except players, and BC will know the truth...

I know real life/ football comparisons are a risky business at the best of times.

But can you imagine your boss finding out you havent been turning up to work for the last year?

Now imagine telling that boss that you should be excused because you 'worked hard' the previous year.

I think he'd be your ex-boss pretty quick.

What you can't argue with is that Duce was overweight and didnt seem concerned about that fact - to me thats basically breaking his conditions of employment.

Maybe Duce thought the 'fat contract' he signed with the Steelers was a legally binding agreement to remain clinically obese.

NM

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 09:21 PM

You are right - maybe after being on the roster for 75% of the regular season Duce qualified for a letterman's jacket for this year and asked for his release now that he will have some Steelers gear to wear other than his grey sweats.

Duce, thank you for all your contributions to the 2006 Steelers.

tony hipchest
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
duce could be a microcosm of the steelers problems this year. the consumate pro, heart and soul, bettis was replaced with somebody not even ready or able to contribute.

heart and soul was replaced with fat and happy.

NV STEELERS 723
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, I won't keep trading posts back w/ 2 "Living Legends" who combined have over 10,000 post compared to my minute 149 posts...

Thanks for the "Cold Pizza" segment...

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, I won't keep trading posts back w/ 2 "Living Legends" who combined have over 10,000 post compared to my minute 149 posts...

Thanks for the "Cold Pizza" segment...

Not exactly sure what a post count has to do with anything, but okay?

Example:

Opinion = Bill Cowher should hang it up after this season.

Opinion = Bill Cowher should not hang it up after this season.

Fact = Duce Staley showed up completely out of shape while getting paid nicely.

NV STEELERS 723
12-05-2006, 09:30 PM
You are right - maybe after being on the roster for 75% of the regular season Duce qualified for a letterman's jacket for this year and asked for his release now that he will have some Steelers gear to wear other than his grey sweats.

Duce, thank you for all your contributions to the 2006 Steelers.

Dan...nice post(Bob Smizik)

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:32 PM

Dan and Bob Smizik? You might as well add the rest of the Pittsburgh media, obviously the organization (finally) and anyone else who has witnessed Duce Staley this past season (counting the weigh in scale and the buffet).

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Thanks Bob

tony hipchest
12-05-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the "Cold Pizza" segment... geeze. called a living legend and God in the same day. im just a steelersfan who happens to post alot. duce was headed for greatness in his 1st 8 games. he was servicable last year. unfortunately this year he couldnt pan out.

fact: old bettis > old duce

i miss verron haynes more than i do duce

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM

This year, I would take Famous Anus over Duce.

tony hipchest
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
This year, I would take Famous Anus over Duce.dare i say john kuhn? :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:55 PM
dare i say john kuhn? :sofunny:

Obviously you missed the update. John Kuhn's number has already been retired by the Steelers organization and he's a front runner for the HOF. Where in the hell have you been? :dang:

Tankus_Maximus
12-05-2006, 09:58 PM
geeze. called a living legend and God in the same day. im just a steelersfan who happens to post alot. duce was headed for greatness in his 1st 8 games. he was servicable last year. unfortunately this year he couldnt pan out.

fact: old bettis > old duce

Gotta agree with you there, bud.

Think they can get back Chris Fu?????

I mean, I know how hard it would be to choose between working the forklift at the local Home Depot, or playing RB for the Super Bowl Champs. Damn, decisions, decisions.

tony hipchest
12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Obviously you missed the update. John Kuhn's number has already been retired by the Steelers organization and he's a front runner for the HOF. Where in the hell have you been? :dang:ive been scouting n. herron and c. "human wrecking ball" humes :chuckle:

BlacknGold76
12-05-2006, 10:25 PM

What was Deuce thinking? Duece is so wrong in that picture in so many ways. Anyone else would be arrested on the street for playing pocket pool like that.:dang:

83-Steelers-43
12-06-2006, 07:01 AM
At this point he should be arrested for grand larceny.

Livinginthe past
12-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I think people underestimate the effect playing a Bond Villain had on Duce's career.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/duce2.jpg