PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to the Panthers??

Big D
12-05-2006, 07:54 AM
While watching the panthers ship firmly sink to the ocean floor. You have to wonder if jon fox's job is in jeopordy. And although cowher does have one more year on his contract if he would do what he could to take this job.

STEELCRTN4EVER
12-05-2006, 08:07 AM
I don't think so but you never know. I think he will retire for at least a year. We all know Coach is a Steeler at heart and I think that is how he wants to go to the HOF.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I think Fox gets 1 more year to straighten matters out even if the Panthers miss the playoffs this year, which would work out right since any team that hires Cowher will not be required to negotiate compensation (aka draft picks) with the Steelers unless Cowhher goes to work for a new team in 2007 (which I cannot imagine will occur).

For what it is worth, Ed.B. of the P-G said in his online chat yesterday he now believes it is 50-50 Cowher comes back next year, which repeats what I understand Ed.B. said on KDKA last week. No indication why Ed.B. believes that to be the case, but I assume any info Ed has comes from managment since I understand Cowher & Ed are not best buddies.

Big D
12-05-2006, 08:31 AM
I think Fox gets 1 more year to straighten matters out even if the Panthers miss the playoffs this year, which would work out right since any team that hires Cowher will not be required to negotiate compensation (aka draft picks) with the Steelers unless Cowhher goes to work for a new team in 2007 (which I cannot imagine will occur).

For what it is worth, Ed.B. of the P-G said in his online chat yesterday he now believes it is 50-50 Cowher comes back next year, which repeats what I understand Ed.B. said on KDKA last week. No indication why Ed.B. believes that to be the case, but I assume any info Ed has comes from managment since I understand Cowher & Ed are not best buddies.

I really dont want cowher back next year. I think we will see a repeat of what we have already seen this year. No heart, discipline or leadership.

SwedishSteeler
12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
I think we should all keep our mouths shut. Cowher have us a sueprbowl win last year...now he's having a bad season and all of the sudden everyone and their mothers are anti-cowher? I don't think that's right.

Besides, I've just finished watching sportcenter for three hours...and really; if we win the remainder of our games...playoff chances are not as skim as what most people are making them out to be.

Let's see our boys actually hit the ground before we go and badmouth the genius behind the franchise....just my twocents.

HometownGal
12-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I really dont want cowher back next year. I think we will see a repeat of what we have already seen this year. No heart, discipline or leadership.

Be careful what you hope for, D. The grass isn't always greener, as some teams find out the hard way.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 09:19 AM

I do not want Cowher back if no new contract is in place and 2007 becomes another year of everyone speculating what the next season will bring in terms of coaching changes.

My assumption is that if he comes back it will be becuase he has worked out a new deal and that his equivocation about what he should be doing in his work life has been resolved.

Unless Cowher's personal life has taken a severe turn for the worse, I still assume he is gone because I cannot believe his family will be moving back from Raleigh and that Cowher has no interest in continuing to be home alone next fall.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
While watching the panthers ship firmly sink to the ocean floor. You have to wonder if jon fox's job is in jeopordy. And although cowher does have one more year on his contract if he would do what he could to take this job.

If Cowher is going to end it here after this season (which I believe he will and should do) or if it ends up being after next season, I strongly doubt he will directly jump on an offer from another NFL team. IMO, a nice break from the NFL and time with his family is in Bill Cowher's near future.

Big D
12-05-2006, 09:33 AM
If Cowher is going to end it here after this season (which I believe he will and should do) or if it ends up being after next season, I strongly doubt he will directly jump on an offer from another NFL team. IMO, a nice break from the NFL and time with his family is in Bill Cowher's near future.

the only reason i threw that out there was because if for some reason the panther job would open up he could enjoy his north carolina house and have a north carolina job. I do believe that fox will get one more year. I think delhomme will be gone

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:36 AM
the only reason i threw that out there was because if for some reason the panther job would open up he could enjoy his north carolina house and have a north carolina job. I do believe that fox will get one more year. I think delhomme will be gone

I completely understand where you are coming from Big D and it makes sense if the guy didn't coach for fifteen years straight with the same team. I just feel the guy needs a break from the game, no matter the location.

tony hipchest
12-05-2006, 09:44 AM
for some reason when you see lists or hear discussions of the best coaches in the league, j. fox is always neer the top. richardson is a highly respected owner and seems to buy into the rooneys philosophy of stability. i dont think he would fire fox for 1 bad season (or even 2). it seems like fox is there for the long haul. if not he wont be out of work for long.

Big D
12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I think delhomme just sucks. I think there success the past few years is because of there running game, defense and steve smith.

Mosca
12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I think we should all keep our mouths shut. Cowher have us a sueprbowl win last year...now he's having a bad season and all of the sudden everyone and their mothers are anti-cowher? I don't think that's right.

LOL, I disagree wholeheartedly. I understand what you mean, and that it only READS like a rude statement... but the thing is, open discussion is healthy and fun, and if we "should all keep our mouths shut" then there would be no reason to HAVE this forum; we could all just go to the Gazette and Courier websites and read articles. I for one would rather hear what everyone else has to say. Some of it is going to be incredibly stupid, and some of it is going to be incredibly well thought out; some of it is going to be correct from one pov and incorrect from another. But all of it is going to be fun. And it binds Steelers fans of all ages and all stripes together, across the country and across the world.

Cowher's very nature is to win, and I don't see that changing in such a short time. But I DO think that a change in his demeanor is a reflection of what he believes needs to be done in order to win.

I've believed in Cowher Power as deep into this season as anyone, but when it comes down to it the responsibility for the Steelers fall lies with him. Bear Bryant said, "When you win it's because of the players, but when you lose it's because of the coach." Bill's the guy who is supposed to get the team to the level they need to be at and he didn't do it.

I also have no doubt that he agrees with this and knows that it's true. But the time to work on that is passed, it needed to be done pre-season and the best you can do now is patch it as you see it. To his credit he keeps focused on what can be controlled: preparing for the next game, the next challenge. The reason there are no blowups, IMO, is because the reason the team is playing poorly is because HE didn't prepare them to play better.

He might go, or he might stay. But I don't see him going to another pro team, at least not right away. He's got too much invested here with his players to switch. My opinion is that he comes back next year and finishes out his contract by taking the team to the playoffs, then retires. He might do some broadcast consulting, and after his girls are all out of school he'll probably start coaching again, my guess at the college level. College salaries are a lot lower, but shoe contracts and appearance fees make up a lot of the difference and the workload is a lot less, and the players are more malleable.

Tom

SwedishSteeler
12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
LOL, I disagree wholeheartedly. I understand what you mean, and that it only READS like a rude statement... but the thing is, open discussion is healthy and fun, and if we "should all keep our mouths shut" then there would be no reason to HAVE this forum; we could all just go to the Gazette and Courier websites and read articles. I for one would rather hear what everyone else has to say. Some of it is going to be incredibly stupid, and some of it is going to be incredibly well thought out; some of it is going to be correct from one pov and incorrect from another. But all of it is going to be fun. And it binds Steelers fans of all ages and all stripes together, across the country and across the world.

Cowher's very nature is to win, and I don't see that changing in such a short time. But I DO think that a change in his demeanor is a reflection of what he believes needs to be done in order to win.

I've believed in Cowher Power as deep into this season as anyone, but when it comes down to it the responsibility for the Steelers fall lies with him. Bear Bryant said, "When you win it's because of the players, but when you lose it's because of the coach." Bill's the guy who is supposed to get the team to the level they need to be at and he didn't do it.

I also have no doubt that he agrees with this and knows that it's true. But the time to work on that is passed, it needed to be done pre-season and the best you can do now is patch it as you see it. To his credit he keeps focused on what can be controlled: preparing for the next game, the next challenge. The reason there are no blowups, IMO, is because the reason the team is playing poorly is because HE didn't prepare them to play better.

He might go, or he might stay. But I don't see him going to another pro team, at least not right away. He's got too much invested here with his players to switch. My opinion is that he comes back next year and finishes out his contract by taking the team to the playoffs, then retires. He might do some broadcast consulting, and after his girls are all out of school he'll probably start coaching again, my guess at the college level. College salaries are a lot lower, but shoe contracts and appearance fees make up a lot of the difference and the workload is a lot less, and the players are more malleable.

Tom

Good response. You took my comment about everyone shutting up the wrong way. I didn't mean to stop talking about the situation...I was talking about people who are so quick to say that Cowher sucks...or something similiar.

I agree with most of your post...but no, the time to fix whats been 'done' is not passed. Like I said in another thread, I watched sportscenter for several hours this morning and our playoff chances are NOT THAT UNLIKELY if we win EVERY GAME thats LEFT.

I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing, when I watch the Steelers play and the camera goes over to Bill, he is too spitting and telling the players theyre idiots and ALL THE OTHER GOOD COWHER POWER stuff that people for some reason are saying is gone.

Anyway, give him a few more weeks to bring us back.

plenewken
12-05-2006, 10:15 AM

Cowher would be foolish to leave the Steelers after such a terrible season. His value on the market won't be as high as it was in February. He'll stay one more year, hopefully a more successful one.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Mosca, I'm not surprised.....

It's not the first time: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12721

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
The workload on the college level is better (just ask Steve Spurrier) but the recruiting and dealing with boosters is a pain.

Unlike the draft, college coaches need to go out and convince the players to come to their school. After dealing with grown men I simply do not know if Cowher has the stomach to deal with high school kids for recruiting and then coach players in their late teens and early 20s that obviously will not have the same uniformly high ability as the pros do.

Almost all NFL HCs that go to college HC slots (even someone as successful as Pete Carroll) were fired at the NFL level. The only Super Bowl winner that then went to the college level that I can recall was Bill Walsh, who had enough after 2 or 3 years at Stanford.

Cowher can make about 3 times the amount paid to highest paid college coach (Stoops at Oklahoma gets about $ 3 million once you factor in the shoe contract and football camps) with his next NFL gig and so I think he will stay in the pros after a few years R&R.

Big D
12-05-2006, 10:17 AM
nobody is saying cowher sucks. I think most people in this forum are in agreement its just time for change. 15 years with one nfl team is unheard of in the nfl these days. The past ten years the average shelf life for an nfl head coach is 2.5 years. Perfect example is right here in cleveland. I think crennell is a great coach and hasnt had anything to work with. This is his second season with the browns and he is expected to be fired at the end of the year. I just think nfl players are different these days. All of cowhers motivation speeches have been heard. And I think this years team has tuned him out

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
nobody is saying cowher sucks.

Thank you. Another conclusion normally jumped to when this topic is brought up. :thumbsup:

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 11:20 AM

And I think this statement is total bullshit. No heart our team would have quit already after the rat loss. It is hard off of a SB win, maybe some fans expect too much. Bill's record speaks for itself. I for one am too tired of the fickle fan who wants him to pack it in every time we have a bad season. We have even won two out of the last three games. And he has made changes along the way.

No I for one welcome Bill to stay as long as he wants to. I believe when he is ready he will step down. There is teams right now that would die to have Cowher for a coach, maybe some of our fickle fans can remember he isn't one of the longest tenured coaches for nothing. He has produced........................

And if you want change wait until the offseason with player movement, I think our organization will make the changes needed to stay competitive. I don't feel we need a coaching change to solve what ails our team..

Big D
12-05-2006, 11:32 AM
And I think this statement is total bullshit. No heart our team would have quit already after the rat loss. It is hard off of a SB win, maybe some fans expect too much. Bill's record speaks for itself. I for one am too tired of the fickle fan who wants him to pack it in every time we have a bad season. We have even won two out of the last three games. And he has made changes along the way.

No I for one welcome Bill to stay as long as he wants to. I believe when he is ready he will step down. There is teams right now that would die to have Cowher for a coach, maybe some of our fickle fans can remember he isn't one of the longest tenured coaches for nothing. He has produced........................

And if you want change wait until the offseason with player movement, I think our organization will make the changes needed to stay competitive. I don't feel we need a coaching change to solve what ails our team..

Weird for you to disagree with me. Yes we did beat a very bad tampa bay buc team last week. I'm not saying Bill hasnt done a great job for the steelers. It's just time for a change. How many people stay with there job for 15 years. How do you explain the collapse this year. And your right we have one two out of our last three. Look who we beat.

Mosca
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Mosca, I'm not surprised.....

It's not the first time: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12721

Yeah, but it's OK. I know where SS is coming from. It's nice that SS feels that way, but I don't understand the need to insist that EVERYONE feel that way.

If I were a player or somehow connected to the team then it's fair to say that talking is pointless, but as a fan whose main interest is in discussing the Steelers well, talking in between games is what I do. There's no point in me buckling down and working harder; what would I do, yell louder at the TV set? There's no benefit to the team one way or another, whether I stay die hard beyond the point of mathematical elimination or if I stop watching altogether.

And as far as not criticizing the Steelers, I call BS. The record speaks for itself; is it unassailable because of past success? If so, then hey; how 'bout them Bucs! World champs in '71 and '79! Man, gimmie a high 5! And how about that '60 team, they were AWESOME!

If the Steelers win out and everyone else loses out, I'm the same fan I've been since 1964; regardless of what happens on Sunday, win or lose I still have to take the garbage out. If we win the Super Bowl I have to go to work on Monday; if we go 0-16 I still have to go to work on Monday.

Tom

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I will always disagree with uneducated opinions little D. ;)

What I am saying you spew off garbage based on nothing but what you are seeing this year. A long tenured coach can still win it all again. Nothing to support Bill and this team can't rebound. Which makes your opinion garbage.

Like one poster said careful what you wish for.

But if you want to say Bill needs to go who do you have waiting in the wings to make us better? Throw a name out there, just one.

Again nothing can always go as you want it, why not wait and see what next year brings before we call for Bill to step down ? ? I suppose you wanted him gone in that 6 win year as well huh ? ? That is if you were old enough to watch it.

People like you can't see past their face.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Bill needs to go because Bill wants to go

NM

Big D
12-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I will always disagree with uneducated opinions little D. ;)

What I am saying you spew off garbage based on nothing but what you are seeing this year. A long tenured coach can still win it all again. Nothing to support Bill and this team can't rebound. Which makes your opinion garbage.

Like one poster said careful what you wish for.

But if you want to say Bill needs to go who do you have waiting in the wings to make us better? Throw a name out there, just one.

again nothing can always go as you want it, why not wait and see what next year brings before we call for Bill to step down ? ? I suppose you wanted him gone in that 6 win year as well huh ? ? People like you can't see past their face.

uneducated? Nfl experts have expressed the same opinion I did. You must not have watched every game this year there junior. Even hometown who is a cowher lover has said he hasnt coached with his normal intensity. You are just a troll that comes into here to promote your own website and follow my posts around. You are what damn near 40 and you act like this. Always have to get in the last word dont you. Look at the last time you trolled my posts. Prosdo closed the thread and you copied and pasted it into another thread. You are obviously chemically imbalanced

Big D
12-05-2006, 11:44 AM

NM

thank you.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 11:53 AM
NFL experts ? LMFAO !

You listen to everything you read ?

If so a lot of those so called experts said Cowher could never win it all hummmmmmmmm.

BTW no way I can be a junior to you dipshit, figure it out.

You are just a troll that comes into here to promote your own website and follow my posts around.

Dipshit I have been off and on here before you came to this site. I don't need to promote the Reign (which isn't a site I created) It does well on it's own. I look in threads and if I see bullshit I call people on it. You are one of the most ignorant Steeler fans I have ever called out. I am a troll now huh ? Because I think you are a dimwitted dipshit ? I bet there is many more trolls out there then!

Nobody "follows" you around BTW. This is why I say uneducated. You have some serious issues, and if you ever mod this site it will go in the toilet. I challenge you to ever back up your opinions with fact from now on. Instead of spewing out one liners worthy of a kindergarden class.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan

NM

thank you.

thank you ? LMFAO He said he should go when he is ready and you want him to go now. So how does this support your opinion ? Damn your one ignorant mofo.

Big D
12-05-2006, 11:57 AM
thank you ? LMFAO He said he should go when he is ready and you want him to go now. So how does this support your opinion ? Damn your one ignorant mofo.

You crack me up. You are what damn near 40 and have this maturity. between mofo and little d. haha.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 11:58 AM
You are what damn near 40 and you act like this. Always have to get in the last word dont you. Look at the last time you trolled my posts. Prosdo closed the thread and you copied and pasted it into another thread. You are obviously chemically imbalanced.

Pros closed the thread because she knows we have a history of disagreeing not because I am "chemically challenged" dumbass. So whoever calls you out must be challenged huh? Or is it you are unintelligent and know it, and you know what they say the truth hurts.

Nobody again 'trolls' your posts dumbass. I read threads and call you on your simple minded posts from time to time. Sorry you can't deal with it junior, but I suggest you do.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 11:59 AM
And you crack me up witht he troll and chemically imbalanced statement, and pretty much your whole outlook on things. Def one of the biggest tards around, do you take meds?

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:01 PM
NFL experts ? LMFAO !

Dipshit I have been off and on here before you came to this site. I don't need to promote the Reign (which isn't a site I created) It does well on it's own. I look in threads and if I see bullshit I call people on it. You are one of the most ignorant Steeler fans I have ever called out. I am a troll now huh ? Because I think you are a dimwitted dipshit ? I bet there is many more trolls out there then!

Nobody "follows" you around BTW. This is why I say uneducated. You have some serious issues, and if you ever mod this site it will go in the toilet. I challenge you to ever back up your opinions with fact from now on. Instead of spewing out one liners worthy of a kindergarden class.

so in other words you come in here just to start your pointless bullshit. You love the drama. As you proved last summer. I let go of your last insult to me a couple weeks ago because I wanted to be the bigger man. Your attacks towards me are unneccesary.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I have always called you little D because you are "little" minded. No immaturity screams there it is simply a true assestment. Mofo is a expression and that rings with immaturity for you huh? everyone of your replys screams of immaturity to me.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:02 PM
And you crack me up witht he troll and chemically imbalanced statement, and pretty much your whole outlook on things. Def one of the biggest tards around, do you take meds?

funny how i've been on this site for about 6 months and over 1000 posts. And you are the only poster i've ever had any problems with. Look at some of this sh!t you say. Tard? and you are 40?

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I have always called you little D because you are "little" minded. No immaturity screams there it is simply a true assestment. Mofo is a expression and that rings with immaturity for you huh? everyone of your replys screams of immaturity to me.

i dont see anyone agreeing with you on this slash.

Mosca
12-05-2006, 12:04 PM

Jeez, I dunno if I'd say that; it's D's opinion after all. But really, have you seen the discipline this year that past teams have shown? I haven't, in everything from the stupid fumbles (lack of concentration) to the stupid penalties (lack of coolness under fire) to the stupid decisions (lack of understanding of game situation and field position). And while the desire to win is always there (these guys didn't get to the top by accident), even they themselves have said that other teams (specifically the Ravens, since you brought them up) wanted it more.

Me and D have disagreed a lot on stuff, but IMO 1) he's entitled to his opinion, and 2) right or wrong, there's evidence to support it. Saying that past success gives anyone a pass, well... that might be nice for a pickup softball game, but in pro football I don't even think anyone WANTS one.

Tom

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:05 PM
so in other words you come in here just to start your pointless bullshit. You love the drama. As you proved last summer. I let go of your last insult to me a couple weeks ago because I wanted to be the bigger man. Your attacks towards me are unneccesary.
Oh Mr innocent you have done nothing now. Grow up. Far as drama goes if I am in a thread and see ignorance why shouldn't I comment?

You let go of ? Like you could ever do anything to me that would be significant you misguided adolecent.

Why don't we try this. You spew off garbage I call you on it. Then you get upset and throw insults and then I throw them back. But your slanted view is a interesting one.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh Mr innocent you have done nothing now. Grow up. Far as drama goes if I am in a thread and see ignorance why shouldn't I comment?

You let go of ? Like you could ever do anything to me that would be significant you misguided adolecent.

Why don't we try this. You spew off garbage I call you on it. Then you get upset and throw insults and then I throw them back. But your slanted view is a interesting one.

No slash I let go of your last post that you copied and pasted into another thread. And how am I upset again? I'm just sick of you trolling around and insulting my posts.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:08 PM
So Tom based on your opinion Cowher should have been gone long ago. I offer past record as evidence that one year makes this opinion in fact bullshit. Which is my opinion.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
So Tom based on your opinion Cowher should have been gone long ago. I offer past record as evidence that one year makes this opinion in fact bullshit. Which is my opinion.

You must not know how to read either. He was saying this years team has lacked discipline.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:14 PM
No slash I let go of your last post that you copied and pasted into another thread. And how am I upset again? I'm just sick of you trolling around and insulting my posts.

Funny thing is you throw out insults so you get what you give. I have told you how to get me to be quiet. Start doing research before you spew off garbage. Get rid of the one liners which take up 90% of your "opinions". I welcome any intelligent convos, but you made it personal a long time ago. You can't stand the heat in the kitchen, know what they say to that don't you ?

Sometimes I might be quick to reply to your comments, but a lot of them has me shaking my head. And if you wern't so sensitve maybe our disagreements would turn into debates rather than insults.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
You must not know how to read either. He was saying this years team has lacked discipline.

My debate is about Cowher staying as a coach that he doesn't need to go, stay focused if you can.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Funny thing is you throw out insults so you get what you give. I have told you how to get me to be quiet. Start doing research before you spew off garbage. Get rid of the one liners which take up 90% of your "opinions". I welcome any intelligent convos, but you made it personal a long time ago. You can't stand the heat in the kitchen, know what they say to that don't you ?

Sometimes I might be quick to reply to your comments, but a lot of them has me shaking my head. And if you wern't so sensitve maybe our disagreements would turn into debates rather than insults.

you have thrown out way more insults then i have. Not only insults but threats as well. I'm entitled to my own opinion whether you like them or not. And have the dignity to not insult them.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
i dont see anyone agreeing with you on this slash.

There is the one liners I have grown to love from you.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:18 PM
My debate is about Cowher staying as a coach that he doesn't need to go, stay focused if you can.

If cowher wanted to stay he would sign an extension. You know the way he has any other time his contract was nearly up.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
There is the one liners I have grown to love from you.

and leave it up to you to get the last word in

LambertLunatic
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I think most people in this forum are in agreement its just time for change. 15 years with one nfl team is unheard of in the nfl these days. The past ten years the average shelf life for an nfl head coach is 2.5 years

Ok, so the average shelf life for an nfl head coach is 2.5 years, so we should change coaches every 2.5 years. Then we can become an average team! What was the average win-loss record of NFL teams over the past 10 years? What was the average # of SB wins?

I don't care about what the average team does. IMO the Steelers are NOT an average team. This team does things IT'S way, not the average way. Changing just for the sake of change only makes sense when we change our underwear.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:23 PM
you have thrown out way more insults then i have. Not only insults but threats as well. I'm entitled to my own opinion whether you like them or not. And have the dignity to not insult them.

:dang:

Damn a lot of education went into this reply. And I am entitled to call you on ignorance if I feel like it. You are entitled to ignore me. But you throw things back at me being the sensitive snert that you are, and I respond. There is always a ignore feature or not?

Oh yeah I remember, "I am going to ignore your posts", but you never do. And I like drama ?

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok, so the average shelf life for an nfl head coach is 2.5 years, so we should change coaches every 2.5 years. Then we can become an average team! What was the average win-loss record of NFL teams over the past 10 years? What was the average # of SB wins?

I don't care about what the average team does. IMO the Steelers are NOT an average team. This team does things IT'S way, not the average way. Changing just for the sake of change only makes sense when we change our underwear.

thats not at all what I was saying. We have been very fortunate that we dont have the coaching turnover that teams like the raiders, cardinals and lions have had in recent years. How many of you in this forum have been at your job for 15 years? Nobody can blame bill for wanting a change

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:24 PM
:dang:

Damn a lot of education went into this reply. And I am entitled to call you on ignorance if I feel like it. You are entitled to ignore me. But you throw things back at me being the sensitive snert that you are, and I respond. There is always a ignore feature or not?
thats because i dont appreciate your comments about my posts.

Oh yeah I remember, "I am going to ignore your posts", but you never do. And I like drama ?

thats because i dont appreciate your comments about my posts. I asked you a long time ago to let go of what differences we had this summer

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Lambert I agree, Cowher isn't a average coach. He should stay until he wants to move on. Maybe some of these fickle fans should go be bungle fans.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Nobody can blame bill for wanting a change

O it went fromy you wanting Bill to go to Bill wanting a change ? You have insider information now do you? Bill hasn't said ONE time he was planning on leaving or wanted to go. When he is ready and when that time comes he will let us know. But lets stay away from assuming and try to remember it was you who wanted him gone.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Lambert I agree, Cowher isn't a average coach. He should stay until he wants to move on. Maybe some of these fickle fans should go be bungle fans.

And you say i'm ignorant. I never once said Cowher is an average coach. Any coach that has done what cowher has done is more then hall of fame caliber.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
O it went fromy you wanting Bill to go to Bill wanting a change ? You have insider information now do you? Bill hasn't said ONE time he was planning on leaving or wanted to go. When he is ready and when that time comes he will let us know. But lets stay away from assuming and try to remember it was you who wanted him gone.

sometimes actions speak louder then words. Like buying a house in north carolina not signing a contract extention. If bill would be willing to sign a extention I would be thrilled it would be looking forward to the next 4 years. But the fact is he hasnt. He hasnt spoken a word about his future all year

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
thats because i dont appreciate your comments about my posts. I asked you a long time ago to let go of what differences we had this summer

I did, but what I was doing was calling your comments bullshit. That is a debate alarm but you took it personal. Again your sensitivity weighing in. Then you said one thing and I replied back with one thing. It was a good kindergarden debate from the both of us. When you are ready to step it up a few levels we'll do so.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
sometimes actions speak louder then words. Like buying a house in north carolina not signing a contract extention. If bill would be willing to sign a extention I would be thrilled it would be looking forward to the next 4 years. But the fact is he hasnt. He hasnt spoken a word about his future all year

Nor does he have to. Or should he. During the year we concentrate on games not contracts. Buying a house, here we go with that. Do you have a media badge? Buying a house proves nothing. I wish fans would get off this!

If in fact he does retire this year it was because he wanted to, not because they pre-planned it buying a house in NC.

Prosdo
12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Please just ignore each other.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Nor does he have to. Or should he. During the year we concentrate on games not contracts. Buying a house, here we go with that. Do you have a media badge? Buying a house proves nothing. I wish fans would get off this!

If in fact he does retire this year it was because he wanted to, not because they pre-planned it buying a house in NC.

agreed to a point. But however anytime cowhers contract was in it's final two years he has signed an extention. He hasnt this year. And why would you want to be away from your family. Thats the signifiance in the house in north carolina. If he is commited to the steelers then why would he buy a 2.5 million dollar mansion in north carolina. You forget he is away from his family. There is more to life then the steelers slash

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
BTW I believe the purchase of the house was tied more to the mother than to Bill. Being close to the daughters etc. People do own multiple houses you know. It doesn't mean they will move into it now. It could be ten years from now if they felt like it.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Please just ignore each other.

D that must mean we both are chemically challenged huh ? She was speaking to us both. :tt02:

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:38 PM
you win slash i'm done arguing with you

Mosca
12-05-2006, 12:39 PM

Well first, your personal insults toward Big D are completely out of line.

Second, the quote you initially referenced said that Big D says he doesn't want Cowher back next year and thinks that we'll see the same sort of team. He clearly stated it as his opinion. To call his statement "bullshit" is to say that you think that it is actually NOT his opinion.

Third, IMO there is ample evidence, to me, that the '06 Steelers lack discipline and fire. Sure they CARE, but they don't care enough to put together whatever it is they have to do to actually WIN. Instead, they care enough to hit someone after the whistle blows. They care enough to whine for a PI penalty after a good pass defense. Whatever it might be, this team never jelled as a team like they did in the last two years.

Does that mean Cowher should go? I don't know, I'm not qualified to answer that question from the comfort of my seat in front of the computer. To me personally it's not an issue; if he stays or goes, my relationship to the team is the same. I don't follow the team that way, by having feelings about personnel decisions. If he stays I hope he does a better job next year; if he goes, I wish him well, he did a good job for us overall.

Tom

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:43 PM
But however anytime cowhers contract was in it's final two years he has signed an extention. He hasnt this year.

Maybe he is wanting more money? Could be a negotiation tactic. Could be a lot of things, but until this offseason we won't know anything.

Maybe they saw the house and said I want this house, when we retire this is the house I want to live in. Bill has plenty of money it won't hurt him to buy a house now and retire 2 or three years or moreso down the road if that is what he wishes.

More to life than just the Steelers. True on the day he feels to think this way. For right now his life is the Steelers until he says otherwise. I don't think Bill went into this season not putting the effort out Because of a house bought. The implication from some is that he was just collecting a paycheck. And is ready to retire. He might be close to it, but if so maybe that fuels you for another win even more so ?

Which goes right back to the beginning, do you still feel Bill should go ?

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe he is wanting more money? Could be a negotiation tactic. Could be a lot of things, but until this offseason we won't know anything.

Maybe they saw the house and said I want this house, when we retire this is the house I want to live in. Bill has plenty of money it won't hurt him to buy a house now and retire 2 or three years or moreso down the road if that is what he wishes.

More to life than just the Steelers. True on the day he feels to think this way. For right now his life is the Steelers until he says otherwise. I don't think Bill went into this season not putting the effort out Because of a house bought. The implication from some is that he was just collecting a paycheck. And is ready to retire. He might be close to it, but if so maybe that fuels you for another win even more so ?

Which goes right back to the beginning, do you still feel Bill should go ?

What I meant by more then life then the steelers is family. I hardly doubt bill puts his family second to the steelers. Do I feel Bill should go. That depends. If he is willing to sign an extention absoultly. But if he wont commit past next season I dont think he should be back. I think it will be the same problems and distractions that we have had this year.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Mosca you don't know our history and nothing is out of line if things are thrown at you. So then we both are out of line. I offer debates they turn into insults, but it is what it is, no innocent party among the two of us. We both are at fault.

He clearly stated it as his opinion. To call his statement "bullshit" is to say that you think that it is actually NOT his opinion.

Let me get this straight if I say someones opinion is bullshit what ? No underlining thought process here I thought it was ridiculous my opinion. Saying something is bullshit is a disagreeing statement, nothing more. You might think my opinion is bullshit. That is disagreeing again it is ok. :) Does the word bullshit make you sensitve as well?

Third, IMO there is ample evidence, to me, that the '06 Steelers lack discipline and fire. Sure they CARE, but they don't care enough to put together whatever it is they have to do to actually WIN.

Ample evidense to you huh. Yeah those two out of three wins recently sure show a lack of caring. (insert eyeroll here)

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 12:55 PM
What I meant by more then life then the steelers is family. I hardly doubt bill puts his family second to the steelers.

Do I feel Bill should go. That depends. If he is willing to sign an extention absoultly. But if he wont commit past next season I dont think he should be back. I think it will be the same problems and distractions that we have had this year.

Proof read what you write I think you meant if he DOESN"T sign a contract.

Now let us say Bill just lives out his contract. You are saying we will lose and he doesn't want another SB nor will he try to obtain one? I feel Bill would love to go out with two SB wins. It would put a stamp on his career. Again I disagree with your assestment.

Big D
12-05-2006, 12:58 PM
What I meant by more then life then the steelers is family. I hardly doubt bill puts his family second to the steelers. But if he wont commit past next season I dont think he should be back. I think it will be the same problems and distractions that we have had this year.

Proof read what you write I think you meant if he DOESN"T sign a contract.

Now let us say Bill just lives out his contract. You are saying we will lose and he doesn't want another SB nor will he try to obtain one? I feel Bill would love to go out with two SB wins. It would put a stamp on his career. Again I disagree with your assestment.

you keep on bringing up the fact that we have won 2 out of 3. Which is true, but just as a reminder those wins have been against two losing teams. And we barely sneaked by the browns. And you are correct I did mean doesnt sign a contract. I am trying to do my job while discuss this with you.

Mosca
12-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Mosca you don't know our history and nothing is out of line if things are thrown at you. So then we both are out of line. I offer debates they turn into insults, but it is what it is, no innocent party among the two of us. We both are at fault.

I know your history. Everyone here knows it. In this thread, you started it. You could have offered a rebuttla based on evidence, instead you resorted to ad hominem attacks. Generally all Big D has done here is asked you please stop attacking him.

Let me get this straight if I say someones opinion is bullshit what ? No underlining thought process here I thought it was ridiculous my opinion. Saying something is bullshit is a disagreeing statement, nothing more. You might think my opinion is bullshit. That is disagreeing again it is ok. :) Does the word bullshit make you sensitve as well?

I dunno, I'd say the proper response would be, "I disagree with you, this is why."

Ample evidense to you huh. Yeah those two out of three wins recently sure show a lack of caring. (insert eyeroll here)

I specifically wrote that they did CARE. I even capitalized it so that it wouldn't be misunderstood (insert eyeroll here). I also wrote that they lack fire, and that the Steelers players themselves said that in the case of the Ravens game, that the Ravens wanted it more. The point I was trying to make was that caring doesn't always manifest itself as WINNING. In undisciplined teams and teams without leadership it sometimes manifests itself as roughing the passer penalties and whining. A team with real fire goes out and imposes their will on the other team, like the Ravens did when they played us.

Bad teams without fire go up against each other all year long. When that happens you get games like last Sunday's, where the newspapers and the forums are full of phrases like "ugly win" and "bad football game". Someone has to win; time eventually runs out, every game. I personally wouldn't point to wins over Cleveland and Tampa sandwiching a blowout by Baltimore as hopeful, but you are entitled to your opinion there. I just don't see it that way, for the reasons stated above.

Tom

BigDuke6
12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
you keep on bringing up the fact that we have won 2 out of 3. Which is true, but just as a reminder those wins have been against two losing teams. And we barely sneaked by the browns. And you are correct I did mean doesnt sign a contract. I am trying to do my job while discuss this with you.

Why bother ? Just ignore this clown, thats what the rest of us do. Just keep scrolling so we can get back to a meaningful discussion on topics we wish to discuss.

ChronoCross
12-05-2006, 04:32 PM
He is going to settle down and spend time with his family in NC. He put in 15 years with us, raised his girls and now there all going to be finally graduate with the youngest coming up and he is going to retire and relax with his family.

Big D
12-05-2006, 04:41 PM
He is going to settle down and spend time with his family in NC. He put in 15 years with us, raised his girls and now there all going to be finally graduate with the youngest coming up and he is going to retire and relax with his family.

exactly. And there is nothing wrong with putting your family ahead of your job

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Why bother ? Just ignore this clown, thats what the rest of us do. Just keep scrolling so we can get back to a meaningful discussion on topics we wish to discuss.

And who are you calling a clown? :) 5 points off for you. (eyeroll) Sounds like a personal attack to me. D do you have a posse of kindergardeners following your lead now?

I see you only want to address topics that you agree with?

I notice a lot of older posters don't stay around here long. Hummm.

For the record calling someone a troll among other things is a attack too. So the few of you attached to D might want to take the rose colored glasses off.

If I think someones view is bullshit I will say it and if it is said back to me I won't get all senstive about it.

(Note this is only my view towards a few not the site)

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Again when he is ready he will settle down, it might not be this year then again it might.

Big D
12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
And who are you calling a clown? :) 5 points off for you. (eyeroll) Sounds like a personal attack to me. D do you have a posse of kindergardeners following your lead now?

For the record calling someone a troll among other things is a attack too. So the few of you attached to D might want to take the rose colored glasses off.

If I think someones view is bullshit I will say it and if it is said back to me I won't get all senstive about it.

and you dont know when to quit. You always have to get the last word in

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 04:53 PM
I was only talking to you with one sentence. The rest was directed toward your buddy with the clown comment. But let me get this right. Never debate you, never call out stupitity, never call out your friends when they throw insults. Ignore your sensitivity and statements thrown at me due to it, do I got everything right?

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 04:54 PM
BTW you say I follow you around trolling but damn you were quick with a response. Hummmmmmmmmm

Big D
12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I was only talking to you with one sentence. The rest was directed toward your buddy with the clown comment. But let me get this right. Never debate you, never call out stupitity, never call out your friends when they throw insults. Ignore your sensitivity and statements thrown at me due to it, do I got everything right?

i have never had any conversation with duke before. So obviously he's not my friend but he is drawing his own conclusions on you. I said you won. Congrats. You are so much more of a man then i am. Can we be friends now. :cheers:

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I never questioned your manhood just your negatism towards the Steelers and our coach. Answer my question in the other thread and I will end this for good.

Big D
12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I never questioned your manhood just your negatism towards the Steelers and our coach. anwer my question in the other thread and I will end this for good.

what question are you talking about?

ChronoCross
12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
You two should get a room and work things out.. lol..

Big D
12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I never questioned your manhood just your negatism towards the Steelers and our coach. anwer my question in the other thread and I will end this for good.

Maybe you misinterpreted my comments. I dont have any negatism for this organization. I'm probably the biggest steeler fan you will ever meet. Which is probably why I have so much frustration with cowher this year. I'm disapointed with alot of his decision making. I feel cowher has rushed ben back three times this year. Rushed him from his accident, rushed him from his surgery and rushed him from his surgery. I question cowhers decision on keeping Santonio holmes on kick returns with all of his key fumbles. And i'm very disapointed with the lack of fire we have seen from him. I've watched every single steeler game since as long as i can remeber. I think we have seen a lack of emmotion out of cowher this year.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 05:07 PM
You answered it. Have one more in that thread. Please answer that one, but our fueding is over as far as I am concerned but you will get I disagree with you threads from time to time.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Cross his breast-asis arn't big enough for me to get a room.:cheers:

(a Joke!)

Big D
12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
You answered it. Have one more in that thread. Please answer that one, but our fueding is over as far as I am concerned but you will get I disagree with you threads from time to time.

slash, if people agreed with me all the time on this forum i would get bored as hell. This is a forum and there will be disagreements. I just expect to handle this disagreement in a debate and like adults. Not in an arguement and to handle it like children

ChronoCross
12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Cross his breast-asis arn't big enough for me to get a room.:cheers:

(a Joke!)

Haha. :P

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
As we both handeled it right?

Big D
12-05-2006, 05:16 PM
As we both handeled it right?

I will agree that I take things personal. You have to understand my frustration with the situation. I dont like my posts to be bashed. If you disagree with them thats fine. I disagree with yours. But there is a way of handling it and a way of not handling it. I have had some disagreements with posters like tom and hometown, tony and litp. But non have turned out with some of the backlash that we have had over the past 6 months.

slashsteel
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I want you to realize that I study football, not just watch it. The draft the works. I tend to be aggressive sometimes. And when I see things I consider ignorant I can get harsh. Obviously I will tone that down. As it is the right thing to do. I realize we are all Steeler fans here. But at times I was just debating and you took it personal. You fed into the insinuations as did I. Trust me you won't be the only poster that I say their viewpoint is bullshit. Maybe we can both get something out of this and learn....................

What I will try to do is stay away from certain words, maybe that will help with debates.

Mosca
12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
D do you have a posse of kindergardeners following your lead now?

I'm not beholden to anyone, and D himself will tell you that we rarely see eye to eye. We're about as different on this forum as two people can be. But in my opinion you are harassing him without cause. You are acting as a bully, and while he obviously doesn't need anyone's help, I always stand up to bullying. You have no interest in the original topic, you only care about harassing another poster, and you enjoy it because it is not in his nature to disengage from you... notwithstanding that you would probably bring up his profile, find his last post and continue your game.

Tom

beSteelmyheart
12-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Threads like this are the very reason I stopped posting on this forum with any regularity...
It's funny, when I first started coming here, I liked this forum...now I just read, learn what I need to know & move on, & these pointless arguments are just a waste of time.
I came here to read about people's mature thoughts about Cowher & had to scroll thru 4 or 5 pages of bullshit. Thanks guys, and goodnight.:yawn:

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
In my opinion, Cowher coaches next year, it will be in Pittsburgh.

Steel Pit
12-06-2006, 12:53 AM
I completely understand where you are coming from Big D and it makes sense if the guy didn't coach for fifteen years straight with the same team. I just feel the guy needs a break from the game, no matter the location.

Exactly! If Cowher does walk away it's because he simply needs a break from the game. What we don't know is how long the break will be. Cowher may decide that he never wants to coach again.

All of this other talk about him leaving so he can be closer to his family is all a bunch of nonsense. Damn, some people act as if coaching the Pittsburgh Steelers is a prison sentence. If you really think about it, considering the offseason and all, Cowher gets to spend a hell of a lot more time with his family then the rest of us "Average-Joe workers" do.