PDA

View Full Version : Vento's Pizza, Franco Harris, and t-shirts

stlrtruck
12-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Ok, this past weekend while in Da 'Burgh, I made it a point to make my way to Vento's Pizza.
So as I walk in, I'm looking around and notice this old guy sitting down, talking to another guy. I see a few pictures of the owner and figured out that the old guy was him. So as I progress to the register, I think to myself...that guy he's talking to looks a lot like Franco (and anyone that knows Franco, knows the back of his head - that little bald spot). So I asked the lady at the register if that guy was the owner and if she knew who he was talking with. It was the owner but she didn't know the guy. So I asked to meet him...being from Tampa and hearing of this place on the NFL Network I thought it would be cool to get a picture with him.

She took me over to the table, introduced me to the owner, who then introduced me to Franco Harris. Man I was like a 12 year old school girl! Goofy I know but this is a child hood football hero. So I asked if I could get a picture with the both of them, which they obliged in doing. Apologized for interrupting their conversation and went back to order the Roethlisburger - GREAT sandwich!!!

Then the lady behind the register sold me her Vento's Pizza t-shirt. So now, in the lovely state of FL, I can wear my Vento's Pizza - Home of the Italian Army t-shirt. Just one more stab at the tampa bay scubs!!

MAN I LOVE DA 'BURGH!!!

It's also nice that former players aren't jerks and are willing to take pictures with fans. That would never happen in other towns.

floodcitygirl
12-05-2006, 08:27 AM
What a great experience for you! Glad you enjoyed yourself especially after coming from such a long way. I'll bet they enjoyed meeting you too. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
What a great experience for you, stlrtruck! :cheers: Franco is a great guy - I had the pleasure of meeting him through arranging political fundraisers a few years back and he and his wife, Dana, are just awesome people! Most former Steelers are more than happy to stop for a pic or sign an autograph, at least those who still live in this area.

Vento's is a terrific place to eat. Haven't been there in a while, but just reading your post reminded me of how good their white pizza and strombolis are and now I'm hungry! :smile:

stlrtruck
12-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I know this much. Now any trip to Da 'Burgh will include one stop - VENTO'S!!

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Very cool. My dad is good friends with both of them (Al and his younger brother Andy). Both are great guys. Al's son (big guy) is also a nice guy.

I met Franco ( and Fomer Mayor O'Connor) last year at the Italian's men club right off of Larimer Avenue in East Liberty.

If your in Pittsburgh again, hit up Del's (chicken parm) and Lombardozzi's (good veal), both located in Bloomfield and about ten minutes away from Vento's.

Btrice
12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah Franco is a great guy. I got to spend a good bit of time with him in high school when he came out to sign autographs and such at the Giant Beagle I worked at. He's still my favorite Steeler of all time, close 2nd is Bettis, another all around good guy.

Cool story, and anytime you can take a stab at any of these Florida scrubs is a good time in my book :)

SteelerFanInATL
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Not suprising about Franco. I used to see him in E. Libety @ Reizenstein M.S. (5 min form Vento's) playing basketball on the outside courts. Everyone knew who he was, no special treatment, just playing ball. He is just one of the guys, no big deal.