PDA

View Full Version : Four injured Steelers to miss Thursday game

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Four injured Steelers to miss Thursday game
Tuesday, December 05, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Bill Cowher made it official today -- both of his starting wide receivers and both of his starting safeties will miss the Steelers' game Thursday night against Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), free safety Ryan Clark (groin), and wide receivers Hines Ward (knee) and Cedrick Wilson (ankle) are listed as out.

Replacing them will be strong safety Tyrone Carter, free safety Anthony Smith, and wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington.

Holmes and Smith, their first two draft picks this year, will make their first NFL starts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06339/743750-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
We'll just need them to step it up and we should be fine.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 09:06 PM
It forces an evaluation of talent. As a #1 pick Holmes obviously will be around for several years, but I am interested if more playing time gets Washington out of the habit of dropping passes on a recurring basis or whether he is not a long term #3 receiver.

As for the safeties, I am interested in seeing if Smith is a likely successor to Clark in a few years or (perish the thought!) insurance if Troy gets homesick for the West Coast after 2007.

NV STEELERS 723
12-05-2006, 09:34 PM
ATL DAN..... Troy loves Pittsburgh...he'll stay w/ the STEELERS..... AND give up cash to do it...

I hope your still around here so I can remind you of it...

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I obviously have every hope that Troy is a Steeler his entire career and believe getting him signed is priority #2 in the offseason (#1 is getting someone signed to a contract as HC).

Until Troy is signed up (which I assume he will be) the Steelers cannot simply assume they call the shots on all future members of the team and need to plan for unpleasant events (such as, let's take a wild hypothetical here, having a good back-up QB in case your starting QB has a serious motorcycle accident in the off-season followed up by an appendectomy 4 days before the start of the regular season).

In other words, stuff happens and good teams prepare for it.

DACEB
12-06-2006, 06:32 AM
It forces an evaluation of talent. As a #1 pick Holmes obviously will be around for several years, but I am interested if more playing time gets Washington out of the habit of dropping passes on a recurring basis or whether he is not a long term #3 receiver.

As for the safeties, I am interested in seeing if Smith is a likely successor to Clark in a few years or (perish the thought!) insurance if Troy gets homesick for the West Coast after 2007.

Absolutely, I would like to see more evaluation of talent at this point without being forced. I know you can't dress everyone, but I would like to see what Essex, Kemo and Colon can do together or rotating in and out. Possibly even revisit Kendall at center. I guess at this point the way our season has gone maybe we treat the rest of the year as pre-season and see how some of these guys play against 1st string players. Shake it up!