PDA

View Full Version : Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

83-Steelers-43
12-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 6, 2006

If Duce Staley's career has come to an end following his release by the Steelers, the epitaph for it will read: "Beloved in Philadelphia, forgotten in Pittsburgh."

The Steelers cut ties Monday with the 31-year-old running back who dressed for only one game this season, and perhaps the most surprising thing about the move is that it didn't happen earlier.

Coach Bill Cowher acknowledged Tuesday that injuries made keeping Staley on the 53-man roster a luxury the Steelers could no longer afford. But he lavished praise on the player who spent yesterday traveling back to his native South Carolina, and Cowher said there is a place for Staley in the NFL.

"I hope someone picks him up," Cowher said. "He's still a good football player and a super person."

Staley could not be reached for comment yesterday, but his agent said the three-time 1,000-yard rusher will "weigh his options" before making any decisions regarding his career.

"Obviously, he still has a desire to play," Derrick Harrison said, "and a love of the game."

Once a fan favorite in Philadelphia, Staley signed with the Steelers before the 2004 season and rushed for 707 yards in his first seven games. A hamstring injury plagued him the rest of the season, and he never regained his role as the Steelers' No. 1 running back.

Staley played in only five games last season, but in the Steelers' 20-10 win at Green Bay he stepped in when Willie Parker was hurt and rushed for 76 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries.

"If we don't have Duce Staley, we don't win that game," Cowher said. "We don't win that game, and last year never takes place."

This year, Cowher said he simply couldn't find a place for Staley, in part because the veteran couldn't play special teams.

Thus, he went from a reduced role to no role in a span of two seasons.

"He wasn't surprised by it at all," Harrison said of Staley's reaction to his release.

The Steelers needed to make room on their roster for defensive back Chidi Iwuoma and wide receiver Lee Mays, each of whom re-signed with the team Monday.

Staley had taken a pay cut to return to the team this season, but he still made $1.5 million and didn't carry the ball one time.

Releasing Staley, who rushed for 978 yards for the Steelers, may have been a no-brainer to fans that groused about his presence on the roster, but Cowher said it was not easy.

"It was a tough decision just from the standpoint of how much I appreciate what he's given to this team, how he's handled everything," Cowher said. "I have nothing but the utmost respect for him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_482851.html

Livinginthe past
12-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Well this saga has reached the level of unintentional comedy.

I think there are plenty of players who might be a little upset with strange highlighting of one of Staleys few contributions in the Black'n'Gold.

Its a strange revisionist history that tracks last years amazing SB run back to 15 carries for single TD from a guy who was just too gosh darn nice to want to play in the biggest game of his life (he wanted Bettis to finish his career the right way you see).

Im sure it puts a whole new light on the playoff heroics of Ben, including a game saving tackle after a Bettis fumble.

Bear in mind that the Green Bay game was only at the half way point of the season - there were still 3 further losses for the Steelers in the regular season - why did 'season saving Staley' not trouble himself to turn those losses into victories?

Sure, Cowher is a 'nice guy' but his Staley epitaph insults the intelligence of those who realise he was paid to do nothing this year other than stand around looking fat.

NM

SteelerMurf
12-06-2006, 08:16 AM
I always said that Duce's contribution to the Superbowl run was that win in Green Bay. If he didn't step up, that offense was going nowhere that day. Duce carried the offense to that win.

Buzz05
12-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Sure, Cowher is a 'nice guy' but his Staley epitaph insults the intelligence of those who realise he was paid to do nothing this year other than stand around looking fat.

NM

Couldnt have said it better myself

Dook
12-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Before the season started I thought Duce would be a big help to our RB corp this year. Boy was I wrong.

I really think the guy just sat for too long and got used to it. He earned the same whether he played or not. Why go out and risk injury? I don't think he cares for the game anymore.

83-Steelers-43
12-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Before the season started I thought Duce would be a big help to our RB corp this year. Boy was I wrong.

You and me both brother. It's understandable though. The guy ran for over 700 yards in his first seven games in a Steeler uniform.

I really think the guy just sat for too long and got used to it. He earned the same whether he played or not. Why go out and risk injury? I don't think he cares for the game anymore.

I agree. I honestly believe that he didn't care if he played or not. It was obvious (to me at least) that he didn't care when he walked into camp out of shape.

I guess Cowher is supposed to say the right thing in this situation. This article is proof.

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I firmly belive that Duce's "injuries" were figments of old Billy's imagination.

I also believe that Bill has officially become a characature of his former self.

The only time I really remember Bill addressing Duce not dressing.... when not listed on the injury list was during last season...

and Bill talked about Duce's inability to not play special teams... and some kind of rediculous "unwritten rule" about how he refuses to dress more than 5 RB's...

now he revises his own version of history.... insinuating that Duce has been injured since the 8th game of the 2004 season.

I am so disappointed with Bill Cowher.... in the last decade and a half I have never felt his way about Bill... sometimes I feel like many of us who have followed him all these years can not only see through his bullshit.... but we can also seen his bs coming from a mile away these days.

stlrtruck
12-06-2006, 09:23 AM
The article said that Duce will WEIGH HIS OPTIONS. Obviously, the reporter missed the fact that Staley WEIGHED IN at training camp over-weight and out-of-shape! Here's a weigh in for the sweat suit model - start training now to get back in shape or see if the NFL Network will give you a job.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Duce did his job when he was healthy but he's been a wasted roster spot this year!!

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
If Duce wants to play in the NFL again..... here is a friendly piece of advice for both he and his agent.... Burn all video footage that exists of your efforts during this years preseason...

Honestly can anyone name a steelers RB in the last few decades that looked worse than Duce did this preseason????? I think not.

And I really bellieved that he would have a productive year this season.... boy was i wrong... He should be a tale that coaches ttell young players about the dangerts of eating yourself right out of the league

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

By Scott Brown

"I hope someone picks him up," Cowher said. "He's still a good football player and a super person."

"If we don't have Duce Staley, we don't win that game," Cowher said. "We don't win that game, and last year never takes place."

"It was a tough decision just from the standpoint of how much I appreciate what he's given to this team, how he's handled everything," Cowher said. "I have nothing but the utmost respect for him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_482851.html

This says it all, folks...especially the last quote. Cowher has become far too much of a "player's coach" and has lost his edge as a "TEAM COACH" with his eye on the prize.

We've all heard the talk of how soft he seems this year, and this quote is just another example of this.

I loved ya for all those years, Bill...but I am very very sad to say that it is TIME TO GO, Buddy!!!:wave: :wave: :wave:

BigDuke6
12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Ofcouse Cowher's not going to diss the guy. He's going to praise him up and kiss his ass cause that what Billy does. Thats why he is such a "players coach".

NV STEELERS 723
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Duce ... Good luck.....I'm "outta" here to play 18... 64 for the high!!!!

Paul Pyrch
12-06-2006, 12:34 PM
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"]:jawdrop: What on earth is Cower thinking when he praises Staley and all that he has done for the team?? Maybe I missed something important along the way. Other than his first season here, Staley has done NOTHING AT ALL except take up space! IMO Staley is finished. I don't think his so-called injuries were that bad to prevent him from playing. We don't need him or anyone else to stand on the sidelines and just take the money. I don't buy Cower's assessment at all!

noto45
12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I dont understand the whole Duce thing??? why did he even make the team this year? I am glad its over....

HometownGal
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Well this saga has reached the level of unintentional comedy.

I think there are plenty of players who might be a little upset with strange highlighting of one of Staleys few contributions in the Black'n'Gold.

Its a strange revisionist history that tracks last years amazing SB run back to 15 carries for single TD from a guy who was just too gosh darn nice to want to play in the biggest game of his life (he wanted Bettis to finish his career the right way you see).

Im sure it puts a whole new light on the playoff heroics of Ben, including a game saving tackle after a Bettis fumble.

Bear in mind that the Green Bay game was only at the half way point of the season - there were still 3 further losses for the Steelers in the regular season - why did 'season saving Staley' not trouble himself to turn those losses into victories?

NM

Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.

Stlrs4Life
12-06-2006, 05:36 PM
It's a shame things didn't work out better for Duce. I really liked it when we signed him.

sumo
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
If Duce wants to play in the NFL again..... here is a friendly piece of advice for both he and his agent.... Burn all video footage that exists of your efforts during this years preseason...

Honestly can anyone name a steelers RB in the last few decades that looked worse than Duce did this preseason????? I think not.

And I really bellieved that he would have a productive year this season.... boy was i wrong... He should be a tale that coaches ttell young players about the dangerts of eating yourself right out of the league

I agree 1000% - I was excited to see him start this preseason - I actually believed he would challenge Willie for the starting spot - he looked good last year when he did play and I bought into the whole "he's been slowed by injuries" crapola - but then this preseason - what the he-- was that? I have never seen a player given so much opportunity and respond so poorly in return -- amazing!! - hang it up the cleats Duce!!!

SteelersMongol
12-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, at least they made mention of that.

I really can't blame Duce for the last two years, though. For whatever reason, Cowher wouldn't give him a shot. It's pretty hard to score touchdowns sitting on the bench.

The strangest thing is that you never really heard much of an explanation for all those healthy scratches. It's like at some point, it was just decided he wasn't any good.

That's the way I feel. I didn't think he was given a chance. :computer: I still like Duce. I will always remember him as The Bus's buddy in black & gold and I wish him luck.

sumo
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
That's the way I feel. I didn't think he was given a chance. :computer:

I think Cowher gave him more than ample opportunity to show his stuff in the preseason - there was a couple of games where he started him with the 1st string and he was either injured or decided to go at about half speed - averaging around 2.0 yards a carry ...nobody was more dissappointed than me - I thought he would be a better fit for our offense than Willie is...

NV STEELERS 723
12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.

Nice post HometownGal...I couldn't agree more:cheers:

Paul Pyrch
12-06-2006, 07:26 PM
:yawn: You were right when you said Staley's contributions were limited.....yep! Very limited. He may have been well-liked in the locker room, but he did nothing on the field. I too was excited about Duce coming to the Steelers and his first year was great. Let's be honest and not try to kid anyone about how valuable he was to the team. That just doesn't cut it at all.Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.

MJ5150
12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Staley.........will "weigh his options" before making any decisions regarding his career.

I bet he will. :smile:

-Mike

24seven
12-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Everything that happened with his existence and with the Steelers happened for a reason.. And nothing he did ever hurt the way i feel about the team or himself so I agree fully with steelreserve in that no harm done.. no bad feelings.. Good luck Duce.. I hope you can redeem yourself someday.. #22 will always be remembered with the word Staley below it.. at least for me..

NV STEELERS 723
12-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Everything that happened with his existence and with the Steelers happened for a reason.. And nothing he did ever hurt the way i feel about the team or himself so I agree fully with steelreserve in that no harm done.. no bad feelings.. Good luck Duce.. I hope you can redeem yourself someday.. #22 will always be remembered with the word Staley below it.. at least for me..

Well.... another great post on how I feel about #22

Livinginthe past
12-07-2006, 12:09 AM

Well he didnt need to be rude about the guy - but he could have stayed more in touch with reality.

We aren't talking about a guy who had a great career with the Steelers and whose career talied off toward the end - we are talking about a guy who had about 8 games where he contributed something worthwhile to the team.

God knows how much he cost the Steelers per game.

We also arent talking about a guy who suffered a career ending injury - this was a guy who turned upto TC overweight and out of shape.

I didnt realise some of the salary cap was set by for guys who were 'well-liked' - I always thought football production should be a factor.

NM

sumo
12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
That's what I don't understand... I can't think of anybody on the team who had a good preseason. At least he got a shot there, but I don't know how much you can tell from how people look in half-assed games. I went to a 49ers preseason game this year where SF's first-stringers were absolutely manhandling the Bears' first-stringers, so who knows what the hell you're getting based on training camp?

At any rate, we'll never know now, but a couple important things to remember are:

1) Even though he was sitting on the bench for the whole year last season, we won the freakin' Super Bowl, so you can't be too mad;

2) He didn't go out and lose games for us with sloppy play or anything, so no reason to hate him on that front;

3) Throughout the whole thing, he wasn't bitching and moaning all the time. Look, for example, at the way Randy Moss acts when he IS playing every game. And look at all the guys who do stupid shit and get themselves arrested. Duce wasn't a distraction during any of this, and for a guy who used to be a superstar, that doesn't happen all the time. For that, he at least has my respect.

I agree - he showed some class when he wasn't playing and the one time he played last year, he was awesome - in fact, I thought we were making a mistake when we played Willie the rest of the season instead of Duce - that's how much I liked the guy -- but I don't agree with you on your view of the preseason --IMHO, if you're competing for a starting job and the coach wants to see if you still "got it" and you play like Duce did - half ass 2.0 ypc - I don't care who you are -you're going to get benched...

HometownGal
12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Well he didnt need to be rude about the guy - but he could have stayed more in touch with reality.

We aren't talking about a guy who had a great career with the Steelers and whose career talied off toward the end - we are talking about a guy who had about 8 games where he contributed something worthwhile to the team.

God knows how much he cost the Steelers per game.

We also arent talking about a guy who suffered a career ending injury - this was a guy who turned upto TC overweight and out of shape.

I didnt realise some of the salary cap was set by for guys who were 'well-liked' - I always thought football production should be a factor.

NM

We aren't going to agree on this, LITP, so I'll just leave it at opinion noted and respected. :wink02:

coachspeak33
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
IMO, one of the main reasons that the steelers are such a successful organization is there ability to create and maintain a family atmoshpere.... the rooneys obviously have always treated their players with respect, dignity, and compassion. That point, moreso than any number of wins, titles, or HOF busts is why they are universally respected.

That probably has as much to do with me being a lifelong steeler fan. My father was a huge Browns fan.... he had his buddies over every sunday to watch sipe, ozzie & company.... they used to get on me hard about being a steelers fan.... My old man, god love him, would never let them say one bad word to me about the rooney family.... "Their good people", he used to say.....

Cowher means well when he stone-faced lies about players like Duce.... but again... the head coach of a championship team must be mentally focused at all times as to what he can do to give his team a chance to win.

Noll left the compassion to the rooneys and went out and focused on his team improving. At times he was a taskmaster.... at times he was distant to some of his players... but regardless of how they felt about him as a person.... they respected the fact that he was all business and he had one goal in mind.... WINNING.

Bill Cowher..... well he..... ummmm...... nevermind.....

coachspeak33
12-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Noll was very bellichick-esque....... they only combined for 7 lombardi trophies and counting... but those cowher lovers on here keep telling yourself cowher can do no wrong after 1 SB win and 4 very peyton manning-like AFC championship games.

augustashark
12-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Noll was very bellichick-esque....... they only combined for 7 lombardi trophies and counting... but those cowher lovers on here keep telling yourself cowher can do no wrong after 1 SB win and 4 very peyton manning-like AFC championship games.

Sorry myfriend, but I think you got it wrong. It should be:

Bellichick is Noll-esque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

coachspeak33
12-07-2006, 01:49 PM
hahaha...... my bad..... you are absolutely right

Preacher
12-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Here is what I don't get...

People... We do not sit in the locker room. We do not sit in the RB sessions. We have NO IDEA how much Staley contributed to the team.

Here is what we DO KNOW...

1. Staley kept his mouth shut when Jerome was running last year. Any other team, Staley would have challenged Jerome. Not the Steelers, but Staley was quite. Thank you Staley.

2. Staley spent time with Willy, helping him mature as a running back.

3. Staley was injured, and never himself after that.

As a result, we should just say, okay Bill, you saw things we didn't. thank you staley. Good luck.

And thank goodness he is gone.