PDA

View Full Version : A Huge Milestone For Me!

HometownGal
12-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Today, marks the 5th anniversary of my being cancer free!!! :banana: Five years ago today, I had my second cancer removed and shortly thereafter, began another round of radiatio and chemo. When my cancer returned in 2001, I switched doctors and it was like God sent a guardian angel to take care of me. Dr. Carrau has been a God-send - he is warm, empathetic, kind and a world-renowned surgeon in his specialty. He has watched me like a hawk these past 5 years and when I saw him yesterday, he knew what today meant to me and hugged and congratulated me on my success! If I can remain cancer free over this next year, the chances of it returning once again are cut in half, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I know that people who have never experienced cancer can't possibly understand what this day means to me, but I wanted to share it with you all, as believe it or not - this board, you wonderful people and the many friends I have made here, as well as my wonderfully supportive family and outside friends, have only reinforced my strong belief that life is indeed so precious and every day God gives me to embrace it, live it and love it is indeed a priceless gift. :smile:

Big D
12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Today, marks the 5th anniversary of my being cancer free!!! :banana: Five years ago today, I had my second cancer removed and shortly thereafter, began another round of radiatio and chemo. When my cancer returned in 2001, I switched doctors and it was like God sent a guardian angel to take care of me. Dr. Carrau has been a God-send - he is warm, empathetic, kind and a world-renowned surgeon in his specialty. He has watched me like a hawk these past 5 years and when I saw him yesterday, he knew what today meant to me and hugged and congratulated me on my success! If I can remain cancer free over this next year, the chances of it returning once again are cut in half, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I know that people who have never experienced cancer can't possibly understand what this day means to me, but I wanted to share it with you all, as believe it or not - this board, you wonderful people and the many friends I have made here, as well as my wonderfully supportive family and outside friends, have only reinforced my strong belief that life is indeed so precious and every day God gives me to embrace it, live it and love it is indeed a priceless gift. :smile:

I"m very happy to hear that liz. Cancer runs in my family. I have had it so has my mother and my aunt died of cancer about ten years ago. I'm happy to hear you are healthy and keep on posting!

Mosca
12-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Awesome Liz! Congratulations!

Tom

Livinginthe past
12-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Hey HTG,

Thats fantastic news - you are right about thing happening to you that force you to reassess what is important in life.

I'll be keeping you fingers crossed for you, if a positive and healthy attitude to life is a factor then im sure you'll be just fine :cheers:

Psssst..why's everyone calling you liz?

NM

floodcitygirl
12-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm so happy for you sweetie. You have every reason to celebrate and we're happy to do that with you! Thanks for sharing this with us, as well as your positive outlook and caring attitude. I know you'll continue to fight the good fight. :hug: :thumbsup:

Prosdo
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Congrats FG. :cheers:

MACH1
12-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Awesome---Congrats:jammin: :toast:

ARKIESTEEL
12-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Very happy for you......Always glad when somebody beats cancer:tt02: :cheer: :hug: :banana: :jammin:

HometownGal
12-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Thank you all so much - it means the world to me. :smile: I've always tried to maintain a very positive attitude and outlook. There are far, far more people out there who are stricken with this disease that go/went through a whole lot more than I did. If I could ask God to strike me again instead of a child or a little one's parent, brother or sister, I would - I've lived a good and fulfilling life thus far!

To those who are also survivors - keep that positive attitude going - attitude is 90% of the battle. :cheers:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM

:angel: :hug: :angel:

As your friend ...I am happy for you and proud of you!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!:thumbsup:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Thats awesome and congrats on your victory against cancer. Best wishes to you in the future.

PAMillerGrrl83
12-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Thats awesome. My fiance`s mom had breast cancer and beat it. Congrats again. Best wishes for everything to keep goin great for you!

fansince'76
12-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Congratulations and best wishes on your continued good health! :excited:

HometownGal
12-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks all - I really appreciate the kind words and well wishes! :hug:

memphissteelergirl
12-07-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Years Cancer Free!! Woo-hoo! You rock!! :jammin:

I know first hand how significant that 5 year milestone is....my dad had prostate cancer back in '95. His doctor told us that if he made it to 5 years without the cancer coming back, there was a very good chance it wouldn't return. Well here it is 2006 and my dad is still here, healthy and 71 years young!! God is good!!

All the best to you HTG! Keep fighting, girl!! :cheer: :thumbsup: :banana:

stlrtruck
12-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Although you are correct in saying that I do not know the deep struggles that come with cancer (as no one in my family that I can remember has had to face it), I do know what it's like to overcome huge obstacles so I can only imagine how GREAT this must feel to overcome cancer!

SO CONGRATULATIONS and MAY GOD'S BLESSINGS and HEALING POWER CONTINUE TO BE ON YOU!!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Congrats HTG. Here is to another 5 years cancer free.

HometownGal
12-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Thank you! :smile: I thought I had it beat the first time around (1996) and it came back a month shy of my 5 year mark. I knew when it came back but I didn't seek medical help until 4 months later because of the fear, which cost me dearly in the long run as I required additional surgeries and still have a few more down the road from the damage the tumor caused, but I've become a much stronger (and wiser) person because of the cancers and I'll come through the surgeries just fine - aint no cancer gonna beat me! :jammin: Besides - God doesn't want me and the devil is afraid of me - LOL! :smile:

Preacher
12-08-2006, 04:50 PM
My wife is 13 years cancer free now....

It is a beautiful thing. Congratulations.

X-Terminator
12-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Having been there for 4 of those 5 years, knowing and seeing all that you have been through, nobody is happier for you than I am. You are the strongest person I have ever known, and your never-wavering positive attitude is an inspiration to everyone. I'm privileged and proud to call you my best friend, and here's to not just 5 more, but many, many more cancer-free years! :cheers: :hug:

Stillers#1
12-08-2006, 11:45 PM

Congrads to you and to your family. My wife just lost her family to cancer, and every time she hears a story of a survivor, she says it bring a tear to her eye, because there is a family that didn't have to go through what her's had to.

It couldnt have happened to a nicer lady!

HometownGal
12-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Having been there for 4 of those 5 years, knowing and seeing all that you have been through, nobody is happier for you than I am. You are the strongest person I have ever known, and your never-wavering positive attitude is an inspiration to everyone. I'm privileged and proud to call you my best friend, and here's to not just 5 more, but many, many more cancer-free years! :cheers: :hug:

Yep - you know all too well don't ya? You have lifted me out of the doldrums on those rare occasions when I still get 'em and have been a God-send! Thank you for always knowing when I need a hug or a good hard laugh! :cheers:

Thank you Stillers. I, like your wife, get all choked up when I hear of yet another one of us who are surviving the attack of the beast. I also cry when I hear of yet another victim lost who fought so hard to win. If ever I go down to this disease, I will go down fighting tooth and nail!