PDA

View Full Version : devin hester, gradkowski, & m. colston

tony hipchest
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
these 3 were passed up for w. reid, o. jacobs, and the te from perdue. hester and probably colston will be in the pro bowl. gradkowski is now a starting qb in the league.

but would any of these 3 even made the final steelers roster? its a shame to think that they wouldnt have. we definitely couldve used 2 of them all year, but as weve seen rookies rarely get a crack of the field in pittsburgh.

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
tony ... i think i mentioned the TE situation on another thread.... nearly 8 million dollars tied up in Tuman and Miller over the next three three seasons... and we cant seem to involve them in the offense at all....

and they take Davis (TE from purdue) in the middle rounds of the 06 draft.....

nothing like giving away draft picks while a good number of our backups are technically aging veterans:

Kriewaldt, Logan, Carter, Barrett Brooks (i know hes gone now, but how much money did he steal from the rooney's?), Najeh, Kirschke,

Bill Cowher - "Ahhhhhhhhhhh aging veterans, just the way i like it."

tony hipchest
12-06-2006, 11:21 AM
tony ... i think i mentioned the TE situation on another thread.... nearly 8 million dollars tied up in Tuman and Miller over the next three three seasons... and we cant seem to involve them in the offense at all....

and they take Davis (TE from purdue) in the middle rounds of the 06 draft.....

nothing like giving away draft picks while a good number of our backups are technically aging veterans:

Kriewaldt, Logan, Carter, Barrett Brooks (i know hes gone now, but how much money did he steal from the rooney's?), Najeh, Kirschke,

Bill Cowher - "Ahhhhhhhhhhh aging veterans, just the way i like it."

your post is what made me think of this. colston was a projected te coming out of college. you know how effective he could be with the steelers out of a 3 te set or him and heath going out in patterns?

it made me wonder if we did draft him, would we have seen the potential talent? would we try to force him into being a blocker. or would he be on the practice squad wasting away.

and hester? would he be glued to the bench while colclough is pissing away a game? i know the steelers didnt draft him cause noone knew if he was a db or a wr. but we needed a returner and thats what he is. (now dont get me wrong, im still happy with the reid pick) i just wonder if hester would even have the chance with the steelers to do what he has done with the bears (which is tie d. hall for most returns and tie n. vasher for the longest return) 2 impressive records tied BY A ROOKIE!

Dook
12-06-2006, 11:52 AM
The Steelers weren't the only ones who passed up Colston and the Saints didn't really have any inside information on him either since they picked him in the last round.

I think Gradkowski might have made our roster as a #3 QB but I'm comfortable with BSP there because he's cheap and knows the system.

Miller and Tuman are involved in the offense but only as blockers. And we run double TE plays at times but for some reason Ben's not getting the ball to them much. Tuman caught a TD last Sunday though.

No team expects all of their draft picks to make the squad. Not even the Texans.

As good as Colston is looking I think I would rather we picked RB Norwood instead of letting him go to Atlanta. Another surprise is undrafted 2nd year CB Chris Carr as a kick returner for the Raiders. That guy is crazy fast.

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 11:52 AM
sometimes a coach needs to play rookies just to find out if they can play or not.... and bill refuses to do this....

think about Okobi..... this guy has been kept around all these years.... is getting paid like a starting C... and nobody has a clue...

and when I say clue, I mean, actual evidence that he can indeed be our starting C for a full season and be effective....

but this is the cowher system... and it works at times....

Larry foote is a good example of a guy sticking on the team for a few seasons... then he gets his shot and our teams success doesnt miss a beat....

but i think it is safe to say that bill and colbert attempt to make the least amount of transactions of any team in the league and some seasons and more importantly, some off-seasons, you simply cannot afford not to be proactive.

Nothing in llife stays the same...you are either getting better... or getting worse.

tony hipchest
12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
im not big on revisionist history but its scary to think we couldve had someone like devin hester and let him go to keep deuce staley on the roster.

remember last year the bears were having problems with fumbles on punt returns and had to cut their guy? justin gage i think? they addresed that position in the draft and now have a rookie pro bowler at the position.

SteelerMurf
12-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Reid could be better than Hester...how do we know yet?

DACEB
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
sometimes a coach needs to play rookies just to find out if they can play or not.... and bill refuses to do this....

think about Okobi..... this guy has been kept around all these years.... is getting paid like a starting C... and nobody has a clue...

and when I say clue, I mean, actual evidence that he can indeed be our starting C for a full season and be effective....

but this is the cowher system... and it works at times....

Larry foote is a good example of a guy sticking on the team for a few seasons... then he gets his shot and our teams success doesnt miss a beat....

but i think it is safe to say that bill and colbert attempt to make the least amount of transactions of any team in the league and some seasons and more importantly, some off-seasons, you simply cannot afford not to be proactive.

Nothing in llife stays the same...you are either getting better... or getting worse.

The example of Okobi is a very good point. We don't know if he could be a starting center for us. Harting was hurt Okobi played 1 game (correct?), but Harting was back playing before he was 100%. Given how Harting has gotten manhandled on occasion this year (ie San Diego) why not let Okobi play and see exactly what we have.:dang:

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
hey steelermurf.... ol Billy had Reid #3 PR on the depth chart this whole season until the san diego game..... that is the point of this thread..... bill refuses to play young players.... he lets them rot on the bench until the againg veteran in front of him embarasses himself bad enough to where bill is left with no choice.

he did it with troy (lee flowers)
did it with holmes (wilson)
did it with hines (troy edwards)
did it with mcfadden (deshea)
did it with tony smith (clark and carter)
did it with chris hope (logan/alexander)
did it with kemo (simmons)
did it with deshea (dwayne washington)

Even if Reid was healthy every game this season... bill probably would have only dressed him 6-8 games so far this season.....

They drafted Reid to return punts and bill promptly found a cozy spot near the bottom of the depth chart for him so Ric Coclough could run out there a lose a game for us

Dook
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
If early in the season when everyone still had high hopes and Bill Cowher sat Taylor on the bench to play McFadden and McFadden made a big mistake, what do you think the fans and media would say?

It's a no win situation because fans and the media always have perfect hindsight.

Okobi has come in and started for Hartings in the past. I think in 2002 Okobi started at center for five games. Then in 2005 we won the super bowl with Hartings at center. I think your frustration is getting the best of you.

We only lost three starters from last year. Who knew that the Steelers wouldn't be the same as last years team?

Holmes is playing and he's a young player. Smith is in games. Reid got a chance then got hurt. Troy turned out ok, I think.

Also, what makes you so positive these second stringers are better than the first team?

If you're going to blame Bill Cowher for every bad thing that happens then also give him credit for every good thing that happens, like Super Bowl XL.

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Did reid return punts in the cincy game?????

Nope he sat there and rotted away on the pine and watched coclough attempt to do Reid's job.... you know the job they drafting him specifically to do.

coachspeak33
12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
bottom line is... bill doesnt make the big decisions.... he waits for them to make themselves. He waits for one side of a debate eliminate itself. Then he walks into the media room and explains how they are moving forward.....

come on people you all know these things to be true.... Cowher reacts to things that happen to him more often than axctually trying to dictate the outcome of things...Cowher isnt like a parcells or belichick or holmgren.... these guys are proactive with decisions about their football team..... cause .... um ...... i dont know.... THEIR THE FREAKING HEAD COACH..... THEIR GOING INTO THE HALL OF FAME..... THEY GET PAID THE BIG BUCKS TO BE RIGHT ALL THE TIME....

all you sheep defend bill for being great, but you dont expect him to be great.... and then you dont hold him accountable for his decisions and more importantly his indecisions.

Dook
12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
They didn't draft Reid to then force him to start as a KR/PR the first game.

And Colclough didn't lose the Cincy game for us.

Didn't Ben throw three interceptions in that one?

Dook
12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Bill does make the big decisions. He consistantly gives players a chance to prove themselves, kind of like how he brought in a tired old fat RB that nobody wanted and gave him a chance. That RB chose to wear #36 by the way.

Cowher isn't a Parcells, Belichik, or Holmgren. He's Cowher.

I don't believe Bill Cowher is great. A HOF'er, yeah, but heck Lynn Swann is a HOF'er too and his numbers are average.

Again, if you are going to blame BC for everything bad then you also have to give him credit for everything good. Didn't we win the Super Bowl last year?

Maybe it's better to find some kind of middle ground?

BigDuke6
12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Bill does make the big decisions. He consistantly gives players a chance to prove themselves, kind of like how he brought in a tired old fat RB that nobody wanted and gave him a chance. That RB chose to wear #36 by the way.

Cowher isn't a Parcells, Belichik, or Holmgren. He's Cowher.

I don't believe Bill Cowher is great. A HOF'er, yeah, but heck Lynn Swann is a HOF'er too and his numbers are average.

Again, if you are going to blame BC for everything bad then you also have to give him credit for everything good. Didn't we win the Super Bowl last year?

Maybe it's better to find some kind of middle ground?

Whoa there big fella !!!! There was nothing old, tired or fat about Bussie when the Steelers aquired him. He was 24 years old and already had 2 1k yard seasons under his considerable belt. Diss Cowher all you want. But the buck stops at Bussie, pal.
Lay off Da Bus!!!!