PDA

View Full Version : Since We're Stuck In A Rut...

clarient
12-06-2006, 03:16 PM
...how about changing it up about? Let's talk about our favorite/funniest Steelers memories/experiences/roadtrips/etc.

Rules/Suggestions:

1.)This season is off-limits. (We've hashed and rehashed it enough, let's take a trip back in time instead.)

2.)One memory at a time, please! (But you can post another one later. :thumbsup: )

3.)Grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are your FRIEND, and make for easier reading. Word processors do the job for you!

Aaaaaaand.... GO!

Stlrs4Life
12-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Going to the 1988 AFC Chamionship game with my father, and watching them crush the Oilers, in one of the wettest and coldest games ever at 3Rivers. seeing that sign saying-"We don't want a Bum in Miami" and watching Mean Joe holding open the locker room door for the Oilers.

fansince'76
12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
One of my favorite memories was seeing Mean Joe single-handedly stuff Earl Campbell for a loss on 3rd-and-short in the '79 AFCCG.

billcowherschin
12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
stlrs4life, i dont think we played in an afc championship game in 88, i think we had a losing record that year

fansince'76
12-06-2006, 08:43 PM
stlrs4life, i dont think we played in an afc championship game in 88, i think we had a losing record that year

I think it was a typo - 1978 AFCCG is the game stlrs4life was talking about - especially considering the "we don't want a Bum (Phillips) in Miami" comment (SB XIII was played in Miami).

PAMillerGrrl83
12-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Hmmm mine is prolly last year when my fiance` and I went to see the Steelers/Colts in Indy. He didnt speak to me all the way back to PA, but I didnt care.

24seven
12-06-2006, 09:40 PM
The 1980 superbowl win over the rams.. I was sick and had chicken but it tasted like rabbit.. I was like 7 years old and was in and out all day but remember the pass to Stallworth for the td... Man it doesn't seem like 26 years.... ouch!!

skinart82
12-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Finally getting to see my first Steelers game against Atlanta, wish I still lived at home in PA. Atlanta fans suck!

Steelers
12-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Definitely the Super Bowl riot on the University of Pittsburgh campus. Absolute chaos as thousands of Steelers fans huddled around the Cathedral of Learning waving Terrible Towels and singing as fireworks lit up the night sky and snow fell.

For anyone who didn't get to experience it first-hand in Oakland last February, here's the video (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=806981060). :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I think it was a typo - 1978 AFCCG is the game stlrs4life was talking about - especially considering the "we don't want a Bum (Phillips) in Miami" comment (SB XIII was played in Miami).

You're right it was a typo. Ooops!

LambertLunatic
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't remember the year, and I don't remember which Oakland player it was, but Swann got a concussion in a regular season game against the Raiders. It was a dirty hit. When the Steelers were getting ready to play Oakland again in the playoffs, Mean Joe publicly stated that he'd personally take care of business if that Raider player gave Swann another dirty hit. Lol, the Raiders were careful to play a clean game. The Raiders were a great team then, and they specialized in intimidating opponents, but they were clearly intimidated by Mean Joe.

IA Stiller
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Going to my first game back in '01. Watched them whip the Lions in Pittsburgh. Hines set the Steelers record for most receptions in a season. The game, the atmosphere, the fans...Awesome. There's nothing like it. Hope I get to do it again.

klick81
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Going to my very first game 2 years ago in San Diego. Finally had a job that allowed me to spend that kind of money on a game!

Stlrs4Life
12-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't remember the year, and I don't remember which Oakland player it was, but Swann got a concussion in a regular season game against the Raiders. It was a dirty hit. When the Steelers were getting ready to play Oakland again in the playoffs, Mean Joe publicly stated that he'd personally take care of business if that Raider player gave Swann another dirty hit. Lol, the Raiders were careful to play a clean game. The Raiders were a great team then, and they specialized in intimidating opponents, but they were clearly intimidated by Mean Joe.

The idiot was named Jack Tatum.

SCSTILLER
12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Wish I could remember the year, have the ticket stub floating around the house somewhere. It was back in 95-97, somewhere in there, and it was the last home game of the season and we beat the browns for the division title. Was the last game I saw with my grandfather, and couldn't ask for a better game or a better atmosphere! Grandpap remembered to bring the flask!:cheers:

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 09:46 PM
The 1980 superbowl win over the rams.. I was sick and had chicken but it tasted like rabbit.. I was like 7 years old and was in and out all day but remember the pass to Stallworth for the td... Man it doesn't seem like 26 years.... ouch!!

I was 9 yrs old when the STEELERS beat the Rams in that Super Bowl...... my sister ran outside while I was playing a "pick -up game" and said " Bradshaw threw another TD pass".........it was his final TD pass in a Super Bowl...

I guess I still cannot figure out today why I was not watching that game...., I didn't miss any though when I turned 11 years old....

clevestinks
12-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Couldnt have been a better week for it. I have a Junior Olympics/usa volleyball meeting for my daughter tomorrow, and my wifes annual Christmas party from 6 to midnight, every year it seems I go to that party and Im outside on the phone getting updates, then back to the bar, the to the phone, then to the bar, and back to the phone. By the time the games over I cant remember what happened/

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 10:06 PM
ok...I'm breaking the rules but 1 more post on this..... after the STEELERS defeated the Rams 31-17 my phone rang and it was my grandfather in Urbana,OH.... he and my Dad were born and raised in Pittsburgh.... anyway, we talked about the game and how happy we were..... My Grandfather died 3 yrs later.... so when the STEELERS played the Cowboys in SB XX I was hoping the STEELERS could win it, and I could look to the sky and say " we did it Grandpa"... but We lost a tough game...

When we won SB XL I cried a bunch, and my wife hugged me alot because she knew I was thinking of my Grandfather...And I did look to the sky and say " we got one for the thumb Grandpa" !!!! He would watch 3 different TV'S at once .... the same STEELER game! He didn't want to miss a play...

He is my all-time STEELER fan favorite...

And those are my best thoughts and memories of our beloved STEELERS