PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Porter ridicules Winslow, Browns

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-08-2006, 04:37 AM
By The Associated Press
Friday, December 8, 2006

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter ridiculed the Browns following Pittsburgh's win Thursday night, calling tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name and saying the team is too soft to be a true rival to the Super Bowl champions.
With Willie Parker running for a franchise-record 223 yards, the Steelers outrushed the Browns 303-18 during a 27-7 victory Thursday night that was nearly as one-sided as Pittsburgh's 41-0 decision in Cleveland last December. The Steelers have won six in a row and 13 of 14 from their AFC North rivals.

"They kicked our rear ends," Browns receiver Joe Jurevicius said.

Porter couldn't have agreed more.

"They knew we were going to run the ball and they couldn't stop us," Porter said. "They want to be on our level and call it a rivalry, but I don't see it."

Porter said the Steelers (6-7) will keep on dominating the Browns (4-9) until they toughen up. Cleveland is 10-18 over the last two seasons and 14-30 over the last three, getting swept by Pittsburgh each season.

Porter was especially critical of Winslow, with whom he jawed for several minutes during the pregame warmups before Pittsburgh's 24-20 victory in Cleveland on Nov. 19. Later, Winslow and Porter both said they respected each other, but Porter repeatedly made fun of Winslow and called him names following Thursday's game.

Porter appeared to be upset by what he felt was a late block by Winslow against Steelers linebacker James Farrior during the second half, which prompted Porter to get into Winslow's face and yell at him.

"He came up and tried to shake my hand before the game, but he doesn't know me," Porter said. "You're not my friend, why are you trying to talk to me? He talks too much and doesn't do anything. He's weak, he's soft. He should move to wide receiver because he doesn't want to block anybody, he doesn't want to be a tight end."

Winslow, through a Browns spokesman, declined to comment on Porter's remarks. However, several Browns players also seemed upset by the team's play against Pittsburgh.

Last month, wide receiver Braylon Edwards said the Browns were coming after Pittsburgh to get back for last season's one-sided game in Cleveland. After this game, Edwards didn't sound as confident.

"We fight hard. It's just that there are a lot of other things that are bothering us, everybody in this whole organization," he said. "There's not one thing you can point at and say, 'You know, what if we can do this better, we'll win; if we can get this together, we'll win.' There are other things that are going on that I won't comment on that are affecting us."

Edwards recently threw a tantrum during the third quarter of a 30-0 loss to Cincinnati. He blamed losing his temper on his "passion for the game" and said some of his teammates don't display the same desire to win as he does.

After Thursday's game, he said, "It's typical Cleveland football right now. Sooner or later, we are going to have to come together."

polamalufan43
12-08-2006, 06:01 AM
That's Joey being Joey I guess. Although if the clown was just trying to be respectful...
Of course, know one knows what really went down on the field. Oh well, we won and that's that.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
12-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Winslow was an ass-hat at Miami and he's an ass-hat at Cleveland. No surprise.

touchdownward
12-08-2006, 06:46 AM
With the way the league has been this year, you can expect Winslow to get a fine for that cheap shot on Farrior.

HometownGal
12-08-2006, 06:56 AM
It is obvious that the Steelers intimidated the Clowns on the field - other than Anderson and Andra Davis, they looked like pee-wee leaguers out there last night. Dropping passes, missing tackles, not running the right routes - their heads just weren't in the game. Sure didn't look like the team that came from behind to beat the Chiefs last Sunday. Personally, I think Peezy should just have shut his yap after the game - what purpose did it really serve? The Steelers beat the Browns on both sides of the ball and the score didn't even reflect how solidly they won. Leave it at that.

83-Steelers-43
12-08-2006, 07:00 AM
With the way the league has been this year, you can expect Winslow to get a fine for that cheap shot on Farrior.

While it was a cheap shot, Farrior got his payback. The league shoud leave it at that. But the NFL is becoming soft in my opinion. Breath on a QB, 15 yard penalty and a fat fine.

As for Porter's comments, it's a rivalry. While I would have to think twice about Porter's comments if we played the.....................Chiefs or Vikings, the Browns are understandable. Winslow and Edwards have been yapping all season long. It was refreshing to hear somebody on this team fire back and set them in their place.........which is the cellar.

19ward86
12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
joey can talk like that because he is the best linebacker in the league.

83-Steelers-43
12-08-2006, 07:55 AM
he is the best linebacker in the league.

Personally, I wouldn't go that far.

There are times Joey should just keep his mouth shut in my opinion, but against a mouth-yapping Browns team? Fire away.

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2006, 07:55 AM
joey can talk like that because he is the best linebacker in the league.

On exactly what are you basing that statement?

The drop-off in the play of the outside LBs has been a major contributor to the problems on D this season.

Peezey should consider just playing the game - his constant yapping reminds me of Chuck Noll's great line about Hollywood Henderson when Henderson was talking trash about Bradshaw before SB XIII - empty barrels make the most noise.

83-Steelers-43
12-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Isn't that like saying there's a rivalry between windshields and bugs or hammers and nails?? :sofunny:

lol, good point. I should have stated "a rivalry between the players" and not in the Win/Loss column.

tony hipchest
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
from joey porters post game quotes:

"A lot of them didn't want to be there. We ran them up out of here, like we're supposed to."

Did they do a lot of talking?

"Yeah, they did talk a lot. I can live with talk. But when you start taking cheap shots, that's a whole different thing. We play a certain way, but we never take cheap shots at anybody. They have to sit on the two losses we gave them all the way to next year."

steelers always play hard but clean.

Tankus_Maximus
12-08-2006, 09:58 AM
The shot on Farrior was dirty, but it was great to see James get his payback on the VERY NEXT PLAY! and cause Kellen to drop the pass.

That's Steeler football.

Stlrs4Life
12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Porter is right, the Browns are soft. If you looked on the Browns sideline, every player wore a big orange jcket, and if you looked accross the field, none of the Steeler players wore a jcket during the game.

SteelerFanInATL
12-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Jr. is the total oppisite of how his father played the game and a discrase to the Winslow football name.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Winslow was an ass-hat at Miami and he's an ass-hat at Cleveland. No surprise.

I won't go to the Wolverine card :smile: but add Braylon Edwards as the punk-ass. Now we have Cleveland's Twin Sisters. Together they can help Romeo clean out his office.

Kinda feel sorry for the guy that he is coaching these ego-centric self-centered primadonna asses.

Hey Braylon! Keyshawn and T.O. should not be your peers.

fansince'76
12-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Now we have Cleveland's Twin Sisters. Together they can help Romeo clean out his office.

Kinda feel sorry for the guy that he is coaching these ego-centric self-centered primadonna asses.

He is probably wishing he would've stayed in NE.

clevestinks
12-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Porter is right, the Browns are soft. If you looked on the Browns sideline, every player wore a big orange jcket, and if you looked accross the field, none of the Steeler players wore a jcket during the game.

I agree that they seemed soft, not because they were cold, just the way they go through the motions. But look at Romeo, they have taken on his personality. He is quiet, laid back. Cowher is a pistol, and the teams feeds off of that. I vote for a defensive coach to replace Cowher when the times comes, not to soon though.

clevestinks
12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Jim Rome has Porters back on this one, saying " Winslow until you win something in this league, quit yapping your gums" Refering to k2 saying again last week that he is the best TE in the league.

sumo
12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
While it was a cheap shot, Farrior got his payback.

and when Farrior got his payback it was a fumble!!!! - that drive should have ended right there!! - the NFL refs have lost their ability to see fumbles this year - beginning with Troy's pic in Indy, they have now made at least ten glaring errors that I can think of ...

sumo
12-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Jr. is the total oppisite of how his father played the game and a discrase to the Winslow football name.

I agree - his Dad was a class act, but he did make a mistake when he let his son go to Miami ...

clevestinks
12-08-2006, 06:16 PM
and when Farrior got his payback it was a fumble!!!! - that drive should have ended right there!! - the NFL refs have lost their ability to see fumbles this year - beginning with Troy's pic in Indy, they have now made at least ten glaring errors that I can think of ...

In a close game, Cowher would have thrown the flag, and your correct a fumble it was.

clevestinks
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM

?? I`m not so sure? I think his father had some skeletons in his closet, but there wasnt a mic in his face all the time, and no internet to spread it around.

fansince'76
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
?? I`m not so sure? I think his father had some skeletons in his closet, but there wasnt a mic in his face all the time, and no internet to spread it around.

Yep - no NFL Network, ESPN was still in its infancy and was still a sports network and not the "let's stir up some shit and create a controversy" network that it is now.

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 04:47 AM
I would agree with those who say Porter should really hve left his talking to be done on the field (where the Steelers totally mauled the Browns both sides of the ball).

What was the deal with him going on about 'them knowing we are going to run the ball and being able to do nothing about it.....' - I didnt see Joey out there lead blocking.

Winslow appears to be a loud mouth kid with maturity issues - he has done nothing and has no right to talk.

I think he should get fined for a cheap shot on Farrior - it was the sign of a guy who was getting beat up physically all day and couldn't handle it.

Farriors great (and legal) hit on him right after was karma 'express style'

NM

HometownGal
12-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I would agree with those who say Porter should really hve left his talking to be done on the field (where the Steelers totally mauled the Browns both sides of the ball).

What was the deal with him going on about 'them knowing we are going to run the ball and being able to do nothing about it.....' - I didnt see Joey out there lead blocking.

Winslow appears to be a loud mouth kid with maturity issues - he has done nothing and has no right to talk.

I think he should get fined for a cheap shot on Farrior - it was the sign of a guy who was getting beat up physically all day and couldn't handle it.

Farriors great (and legal) hit on him right after was karma 'express style'

NM

BOOYAH!!! Good points LITP. Winslow hasn't proven anything in this league other than he has a big yap (and a big booty). I am not an advocate of post-game smack talk and bashing among players - if they don't have the cahoonans to say it on the field, shut up and act like a pro off the field.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Can we really blame joey for his smack talk on the Browns. That's just his character. At least he is one who BACKS UP his talk unlike some players in this league.

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 10:17 AM

I've heard the same CS. His dad was also a big mouth. Dan Fouts hated the guy and the majority of the his teammates were not very fond of Sr. If I recall correctly, the race card and the fact that he wanted his son to play for a black coach in college (Michigan State I believe?) were also a part of seniors legacy.

Great football player, but an a-hole off the field.

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Can we really blame joey for his smack talk on the Browns. That's just his character. At least he is one who BACKS UP his talk unlike some players in this league.

Winslow yapps, Edwards yapps......Porter fired back and backed it up in the process. If it were Porter who started the yapping (while sitting at 5-7 at the time), then it would it be a different scenario in my book.

Bottomline for me: You wanna talk trash? Back it up and you won't have to worry about somebody rubbing it in your face after you get your ass handed to you.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Winslow yapps, Edwards yapps......Porter fired back and backed it up in the process. If it were Porter who started the yapping (while sitting at 5-7 at the time), then it would it be a different scenario in my book.

Bottomline for me: You wanna talk trash? Back it up and you won't have to worry about somebody rubbing it in your face after you get your ass handed to you.

That's for sure 83. Winslow and Edwards are 2 of the worst at backing it up.

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 10:31 AM
That's for sure 83. Winslow and Edwards are 2 of the worst at backing it up.

It's not even their onfield performance. It's the fact that these two haven't even played two years in the NFL and they are talking trash and taking cheap shots at veterans. You damn well better believe our boys (or anybody else for that matter) are going to fire back and put those two punks in their place.

You wanna take a cheap shot? Fine, next play I'll light you up. You wanna talk trash before the game? Fine, I'll rub in your face when your team is limping off the field after a 27-7 beating. That's the price you pay for your actions. You don't like it? Here's an idea, next time try keeping your mouths shut and play clean football.

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I think trash talking mostly has a negative effect on the team a player represents.

One example of it the opposite would be Jerramy Stevens on last years SB - the guy has barely caught a pass since.

Not a big fan of Joey Porter - but him and his team have mostly been able to back up the smack when it counts - on the field.

NM