PDA

View Full Version : Rice....Report or Retire?

BB2W
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
DENVER -- Jerry Rice almost had a last-second change of heart about trying to play a 21st season in the NFL.

Rice revealed to The Denver Post, in Sunday's editions, that he showed up late for the team's reporting day Thursday, only after a last-second decision to catch an afternoon flight from his home in California to Denver.

"I was torn," Rice said.

He said he called coach Mike Shanahan and told him he was having second thoughts. Shanahan told Rice he could retire if he wanted but that there was no truth to media reports that Rice had no future with the Broncos.

"There was a very good possibility that I was not going to get on that plane," Rice told the Post. "There was weight on my shoulders. But then I started thinking that the hunger is still there and the flashes are still there. I started thinking about how much I enjoy football. I started thinking about my new teammates. I remembered that Mike Shanahan had stuck his neck out for me. And that I had signed a contract. I am going to honor that contract."

This is getting pretty sad....I don't want to remember Jerry Rice like this. He should have retired after his stint with the Raiders. Great athletes have such a hard time walking away from the sport the love. After being released by the Seahawks, his agent and him sent a video titled G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) to every team in the NFL, and only Mike Shanahan and the Broncos contacted him.....It is time to hang-um up. If he gets cut it will be a really bad ending to a great career.

Prosdo
07-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I saw him in an interview. He didn't seem real sure about coming back. He was talking about his kid playing football and his daughter going to college and how he wouldn't be there. I think he still loves the game, but I don't think his heart is all there right now. I think he should retire. He has accomplished so much already.

LambertIsGod58
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I think he can still contribute...As a second receiver on some teams. I know I'd take him on our squad right now.

Livinginthe past
07-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Jerry Rice lives and breathes football - as long as there is a willing suitor this guy will be on the field.
I know people talk about him ruining the memory of what he has done in the past - but I think it is a shame to think like this.
JR is the best to ever play the position - if anyone deserves to play on it is this great man.

Until there is a team who wont employ him as a 4th receiver Jerry will be flying around on his zimmer frame, if thats what it takes

Regards

NM

ironcitychef
07-31-2005, 11:25 PM
I've always said and heard that its not about knowing when to get in cause when you're good you can always get in. But you need to also know when to get out. You have to be twice as smart to know when to leave. If you can't commit to getting on a plane, then maybe it is time...

ironcitychef
07-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Sorry just thought about the real issue, I think Jerry deep down has a fear larger than playing another year. That fear is being introduced forever as "Jerry Rice, former NFL receiver". Just my thought...

SteelR1
07-31-2005, 11:55 PM
I saw that interview also, he was almost forcing himself to say yeah I want to play. I think his kids need him now. He is the greatest WR in the history of the NFL and he will be for a very long time.
Time for him to take care of his family.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Its time to hang it up Jerry. Dont do what Emmitt Smith did and try and hang on just for the sake of hanging on. You're legacy is secured, everybody knows you can still play the game at a high level and ur the greatest WR of all time. Go out while ur still on top man!

Tha rock
08-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Jerry is the goat he will alwyas be he a HOFer in my book I just hate to see him with the donkeys!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Retire Jerry!

docsteel
08-06-2005, 10:58 PM
i saw that interview too. what i got out of it was that he still wanted to play in his heart but his wife and kids are pressuring him to hang it up. the words that he said seemed to be something he heard over and over instead of something he thought of in his heart. :blah: