PDA

View Full Version : It's Time to Sign Ben Long-Term

Steelers
12-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Our less than desirable season should allow us to lock up Big Ben on the cheap. Of course, the contract will need numerous off-season rules and safety clauses.

It's pretty ironic that thanks to one bad season, we could be looking at unprecedented success in the coming years by making Ben the guy.

fansince'76
12-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I agree - we need to lock Ben up long term while his price will still be halfway reasonable - his agent may not go for a deal during this coming offseason, though, for this very reason.

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Dream on if you think this season drives down Ben's asking price on his next contract.

fansince'76
12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I know - it's nice to dream, though.

stillers4me
12-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Ben deserves as much as the Rooney's can fork over......actually more than that.

Preacher
12-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Here is what you all have to remember when it comes to Ben and a contract.

1. This is the Rooney's. They will not negotiate until the last year. Unless they need room. Period.

2. Ben watched Bettis the last two years... give up money so they may keep playing. He also saw two of his receivers leave because the team didn't have, or want to pay the money that was needed to keep them. After this year, Ben knows he needs the entire team to play well.

3. Ben will get a great contract, and should get one. However, don't be surprised if it doesn't break the bank. I think Ben and the rooney's are both smart enough to know the middle road will bring us many championships.

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Here is what you all have to remember when it comes to Ben and a contract.

1. This is the Rooney's. They will not negotiate until the last year. Unless they need room. Period.

2. Ben watched Bettis the last two years... give up money so they may keep playing. He also saw two of his receivers leave because the team didn't have, or want to pay the money that was needed to keep them. After this year, Ben knows he needs the entire team to play well.

3. Ben will get a great contract, and should get one. However, don't be surprised if it doesn't break the bank. I think Ben and the rooney's are both smart enough to know the middle road will bring us many championships.

LITP knows a lot more about this than me, but Tom Brady gave up $$$ so the Pats could sign other players to compete for championships, and the result is the Pats let Branch & Vinateri go and now are millions ($20 million this year LITP?) under the cap. So much for Brady's sacrifice going anywhere other than ownership's pocket.

If am a player or agent for a franchise QB, I would be very reluctant to give up $$$ based on a promise my cut will be paid out to other players at some indefinite point in the future.

The Ben/Steelers negotiations are not going to result in any major "hometown discount" for the Rooneys, who have a well deserved reputation for being tight with a dollar, with the ongoing example being that pig sty of a field they refuse to improve.

Preacher
12-08-2006, 10:50 PM
LITP knows a lot more about this than me, but Tom Brady gave up $$$ so the Pats could sign other players to compete for championships, and the result is the Pats let Branch & Vinateri go and now are millions ($20 million this year LITP?) under the cap. So much for Brady's sacrifice going anywhere other than ownership's pocket.

If am a player or agent for a franchise QB, I would be very reluctant to give up $$$ based on a promise my cut will be paid out to other players at some indefinite point in the future.

The Ben/Steelers negotiations are not going to result in any major "hometown discount" for the Rooneys, who have a well deserved reputation for being tight with a dollar, with the ongoing example being that pig sty of a field they refuse to improve.

Not sure I agree with either the main point or the example. Ward did, Porter wants to, etc. came back to play for Pittsburgh BECAUSE of the Steeler organization. And yes, when they want to do that, they will take less money to play where they want.

On the field, well, when you allow the highschool, college, and NFL teams to play on the same field, what can you do? And the Steelers have had that field torn up and replanted a couple of times... but it didn't help.

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Not sure I agree with either the main point or the example. Ward did, Porter wants to, etc. came back to play for Pittsburgh BECAUSE of the Steeler organization. And yes, when they want to do that, they will take less money to play where they want.

On the field, well, when you allow the highschool, college, and NFL teams to play on the same field, what can you do? And the Steelers have had that field torn up and replanted a couple of times... but it didn't help.

I do not think Ward gave up that much in terms of what he would have brought on the open market (and gave it up after he was required to hold out by the ever so loyal Steelers organization) and Porter wants top 3 LB $$$, which the Steelers correctly will not pay him. It's a business - nothing wrong about that but the idea that in almost all cases either managements or the players are not out to maximize their respective bank balances is NFL Network propaganda.

As for the field, they could lay out the $$$ for Field Turf and refuse to do it , unlike other teams (New England and Cincy) that have given up trying to grow grass in hostile climates.

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't think the odds are good for their to be a 3 years left on contract signing. Remember, it's when the Steelers have a players with TWO years left on his contract they negotiate extentions.

Preacher
12-08-2006, 11:16 PM
I do not think Ward gave up that much in terms of what he would have brought on the open market (and gave it up after he was required to hold out by the ever so loyal Steelers organization) and Porter wants top 3 LB $$$, which the Steelers correctly will not pay him. It's a business - nothing wrong about that but the idea that in almost all cases either managements or the players are not out to maximize their respective bank balances is NFL Network propaganda.

As for the field, they could lay out the $$$ for Field Turf and refuse to do it , unlike other teams (New England and Cincy) that have given up trying to grow grass in hostile climates.

Actually, it was Porter himself that talked about how much he wants to be with the Steelers.

Ward was foolish for holding out, but was mature in how he did it. Only when he came back did the Steelers actually work out a deal. And yeah, he could have gotten a better deal somewhere else.

And why replace the field turf? It (should) slow down other teams.

Stillers#1
12-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Ben won't get a deal this off-season, there is no way the Rooney's will try to do one, and no way his agent will let him do one. I do think he will be locked up sometime in '08 though. Especially if he comes back and has a great season in '07. I am personally more worried about Troy. I think signing Ben is going to be a no-brainer for the front office, but for some silly reason I can see them letting Troy walk (Rod Woodson anyone). I know the two situations (Troy and Rod) are a little different, but they did the wrong thing then, and who knows, they may do the wrong thing now.

Preacher
12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Ben won't get a deal this off-season, there is no way the Rooney's will try to do one, and no way his agent will let him do one. I do think he will be locked up sometime in '08 though. Especially if he comes back and has a great season in '07. I am personally more worried about Troy. I think signing Ben is going to be a no-brainer for the front office, but for some silly reason I can see them letting Troy walk (Rod Woodson anyone). I know the two situations (Troy and Rod) are a little different, but they did the wrong thing then, and who knows, they may do the wrong thing now.

Actually, I have heard that the real situation with Rod was that the Steelers wanted Rod to move to Safety. Rod didn't want to.

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Dream on if you think this season drives down Ben's asking price on his next contract.

I agree Dan..

Stillers#1
12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Actually, I have heard that the real situation with Rod was that the Steelers wanted Rod to move to Safety. Rod didn't want to.

I would say that makes sense, but didn't he leave here to go one and play safety?

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm pretty sure its ONE year..I think the STEELERS made the exception w/ Tommy Maddox....and that bit us in the rear...

I'm pretty sure its ONE year though.....

And Ben is in his 3rd yr of a 5 yr contract....

Preacher
12-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I would say that makes sense, but didn't he leave here to go one and play safety?

I think he played CB for a year or two first... then switched.

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 02:17 AM
The Ben/Steelers negotiations are not going to result in any major "hometown discount" for the Rooneys, who have a well deserved reputation for being tight with a dollar, with the ongoing example being that pig sty of a field they refuse to improve.an even better example is not locking up the coach who has kept them so competitive through the years, despite shoddy qb's, frequent f.a. departures and a turnstyle of assistant coaches.

MACH1
12-09-2006, 02:22 AM

Maybe this is where Joey becomes expendable???

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 06:19 AM

Hey Dan,

I believe the Patriots are $6 million under this years cap.

Some fans are getting a little anxious about the reasons we aren't spending it, but there is very little available on the FA market that could help them at a reasonable price.

The expanding cap and teams getting more familiar with how it works has led to there being less really attractive FA's being forced onto the open market on the offseason.

I dont know what the time limit is, but most Patriots fans think that that extra money will be front loaded onto the contracts of existing players inorder to decrease the salary burden in future years.

Signing guys like Branch, Givens and Vinatieri might be manageable in the short term but it sends out a ripple effect for future negotiations with WR's and K's.

A point that is relevant to both Steeler and Patriots fans is that both tend to employ players of good quality who are willing to sign up to a team ethic.

Whats more important - 10% extra on your paycheck or getting to play with a team that is built to challenge year in, year out.

NM

HometownGal
12-09-2006, 07:08 AM
an even better example is not locking up the coach who has kept them so competitive through the years, despite shoddy qb's, frequent f.a. departures and a turnstyle of assistant coaches.

I agree with you Tony - 1,000% :thumbsup:

Whats more important - 10% extra on your paycheck or getting to play with a team that is built to challenge year in, year out.

I think this about says it all. Good point, LITP.