PDA

View Full Version : Porter sorry for post-game comment, agent says

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Porter sorry for post-game comment, agent says

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 9, 2006

Joey Porter's agent said the outspoken linebacker regrets calling Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name for homosexuals after the Steelers' 27-7 win over the Browns on Thursday night at Heinz Field.

Porter, upset about what he said was a late hit by Winslow on Steelers linebacker James Farrior, lashed out at the Browns tight end after the game.

"He realizes that he picked the wrong word," said Jeff Sperbeck, who spoke with Porter on Friday. "It was not intended to offend any group or anybody."

When asked if he thinks the NFL will fine Porter, Sperbeck said, "We don't expect them to."

Porter declined to comment.

What discipline, if any, the league takes against Porter probably won't be known until next week. NFL spokesman Steve Alic said, "The comments are being reviewed."

The hit that angered Porter occured at the end of a play in the fourth quarter. Winslow threw a block, knocking an unsuspecting Farrior to the turf. Winslow was called for a personal foul, and the Browns were penalized 15 yards.

"It was late; that's what (expletives) do," Porter said. "He's a (expletive). He wants to be tough, but he really is soft."

A spokesman for the country's largest gay civil rights organization condemned Porter's comments.

"Using disgusting anti-gay rhetoric to prove one's self goes against the great traditions of professional football that many in our country, gay and lesbian Americans included, have always loved," said Brad Luna of Human Rights Campaign, which is based in Washington D.C. "This kind of language has no place in our society, the NFL included."

The Steelers had no comment on Porter's remarks.

Winslow was made aware of what Porter said after the game, but he declined to comment.

Porter refused to shake hands with the brash Winslow before the game and after it.

Porter has often traded trash talk with opposing players on the field and maintained good relations, if not friendships, with them off of it. That's the case with Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson.

"I thought it was going to be like that (with Winslow)," Porter said. "I'm good for all the playing hard; after the game, we shake hands. But I'm not a fan of cheap shots. You don't take a cheap shot like that at nobody."

Sperbeck said Porter's remarks were made in the heat of the moment.

"He was irritated very much by the fact that Winslow showed no remorse after a cheap shot at Farrior," Sperbeck said. "It appeared to them that Winslow was glad he did it."

The Steelers have beaten the Browns in 12 of their past 13 meetings, leading Porter to take a couple of shots at Cleveland.

"Truthfully, I don't think they can handle the challenge," Porter said. "It's not a rivalry. It probably was way back before I got here, but now, it's just a one-sided thing."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483393.html

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 01:31 AM
joeys right. winslow is a manbag.

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Winslow is just a poor sport......Joey would be right there shaking his hand if we lost ....c-mon....we're 6-7 ... don't you think Joey has eaten much crow this season??????????

SteelShooter
12-09-2006, 02:13 AM
joeys right. winslow is a manbag.

:toofunny: Couldn't have said it better myself Bro. :cheers:

MattsMe
12-09-2006, 02:14 AM
"Using disgusting anti-gay rhetoric to prove one's self goes against the great traditions of professional football that many in our country, gay and lesbian Americans included, have always loved," said Brad Luna of Human Rights Campaign, which is based in Washington D.C. "This kind of language has no place in our society, the NFL included."

Huh? :jerkit:

Preacher
12-09-2006, 06:01 AM
I am not for hating people... anyone...

However... Do any of you get scared once in a while about what is happening to freedom of speach?

I really don't want words like ni$$er and f#g being used... No reason to be an idiot about it. However, I am just getting a little afraid at the censorship of certain speach, while allowing other speach to go on under the guise of the first amendment...

Sorry... probably wrong forum for the comment... but I just had to spout...

HometownGal
12-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Though I feel Joey should have zipped his lip after the game (it was over - we won), this is ridiculous. I'm sure these players say a lot worse to each other when they are glaring at each other across the line. It's all part of the heat of the moment and the intensity of the game! Considering some of the trash that the NFL has allowed to hang around in recent years (drunks, druggies, criminals) - if Porter is fined, that is pitiful. Stop the pussifying in the NFL!!!! :jammin:

Geez - the gay community would really be upset with the Brits. A "fag" is their slang term for a cigarette. :jawdrop:

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Though I feel Joey should have zipped his lip after the game (it was over - we won), this is ridiculous. I'm sure these players say a lot worse to each other when they are glaring at each other across the line. It's all part of the heat of the moment and the intensity of the game! Considering some of the trash that the NFL has allowed to hang around in recent years (drunks, druggies, criminals) - if Porter is fined, that is pitiful. Stop the pussifying in the NFL!!!! :jammin:

Geez - the gay community would really be upset with the Brits. A "fag" is their slang term for a cigarette. :jawdrop:

We have a real problem over here with people 'smoking fags' - but Govt legislation is helping to right terrible wrong :wink02:

NM

SwedishSteeler
12-09-2006, 07:51 AM
I am not for hating people... anyone...

However... Do any of you get scared once in a while about what is happening to freedom of speach?

I really don't want words like ni$$er and f#g being used... No reason to be an idiot about it. However, I am just getting a little afraid at the censorship of certain speach, while allowing other speach to go on under the guise of the first amendment...

Sorry... probably wrong forum for the comment... but I just had to spout...

Actually, no...I dont. Freedom of speech is just that...freedom of speech. I donno, maybe I'm not soft enough; but I think people who are against certain words should just ignore them...if they guy down the street feels comfortable using a word you dont, then why should he not use it just because you don't want him to? If you really get down to it, all words are nothing but that; words. Ignore it.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 07:59 AM
No need for Porter to apologize for being an idiot

silver & black
12-09-2006, 08:19 AM
I like Porter. I think he is a stand up guy. He reminds me of Warren Sapp, whom I've also always liked... even when he was with the Bucs.

If he were to somehow become available, I sure would like to see him in silver and black.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I like Porter. I think he is a stand up guy. He reminds me of Warren Sapp, whom I've also always liked... even when he was with the Bucs.

If he were to somehow become available, I sure would like to see him in silver and black.

Porter is a quote machine when the Steelers are winning, but any contention he is a "team leader" or for that matter a stand up guy was blown away for me when he left the locker room without speaking to the media after the 27-0 Ravens loss. Of course, that is just the sort of behavior that will fit right in with Oakland.

silver & black
12-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Porter is a quote machine when the Steelers are winning, but any contention he is a "team leader" or for that matter a stand up guy was blown away for me when he left the locker room without speaking to the media after the 27-0 Ravens loss. Of course, that is just the sort of behavior that will fit right in with Oakland.

Did he not talk with Cower and settle his money issues like a man? Is he not on the field giving 100% on every play? He talks a lot of trash... then he backs it up on the field.

You're right, I think he would fit right in with Oakland. If we had a few more guys like him, we might win some games.

Justin Otstott
12-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I thought what Porter said was great lmao...

stillers4me
12-09-2006, 09:09 AM
What a bunch of wimps!!! My husband played in the NFL in the 70's and he says the trash words get alot worse than that!!! You wouldn't believe what's going on and being said in a pile of trash talking, sweaty, over pumped up, testosterone driven football players. Joey gets a bit heated but it's all a part of the mind games theses guys play with each other. It's football for gawds sake......not tennis!

I'm gonna miss ya, Joey!

Justin Otstott
12-09-2006, 09:12 AM
What a bunch of wimps!!! My husband played in the NFL in the 70's and he says the trash words get alot worse than that!!! You wouldn't believe what's going on and being said in a pile of trash talking, sweaty, over pumped up, testosterone driven football players. Joey gets a bit heated but it's all a part of the mind games theses guys play with each other. It's football for gawds sake......not tennis!

I'm gonna miss ya, Joey!

what ya mean miss Joey?? Just wondering... :smile:

touchdownward
12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Why all the talk about fining Joey for what he SAID AFTER the game and no talk of fining Winslow for what he DID DURING the game????
Seems a little backwards to me.
Oh, I forgot, Winslow is a GD MFin' soldier :wink02:

Justin Otstott
12-09-2006, 09:23 AM
like tha sig pic you got lol....

stillers4me
12-09-2006, 09:25 AM
what ya mean miss Joey?? Just wondering... :smile:

Well...with all the talk about him leaving town for the money, ya know. I hope he'll decide that being a Steeler for the remainder of his career is better than being anywhere else for any amount of money. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

Stillers#1
12-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I think this is all being blown out of proportion. The word fag has become more than a word just used to describe gay men. It is used every day, and I don't really think I am calling a person a homosexual when I use the word. Most str8 men are to the point that when they use this word, it is just a word. The gay and lesbian community need to get off of their soapbox, their dicks out of the mud and stop condemning people for every little thing anyone has to say abotu their lifestyle. They can choose to live that doesn't mean we/I have to respect and accept it.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Did he not talk with Cower and settle his money issues like a man? Is he not on the field giving 100% on every play? He talks a lot of trash... then he backs it up on the field.

You're right, I think he would fit right in with Oakland. If we had a few more guys like him, we might win some games.

Settle what money issues like a man?

He wanted to renegotiate his contract with 2 years to go, which the Steelers have only done with Maddox, which was a different situation since Maddox had become a starting QB.. If Ward had to wait until the last year of his contract to get a new deal, Porter knew he was going to be treated no better.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I think this is all being blown out of proportion. The word fag has become more than a word just used to describe gay men. It is used every day, and I don't really think I am calling a person a homosexual when I use the word. Most str8 men are to the point that when they use this word, it is just a word. The gay and lesbian community need to get off of their soapbox, their dicks out of the mud and stop condemning people for every little thing anyone has to say abotu their lifestyle. They can choose to live that doesn't mean we/I have to respect and accept it.

?????

When you use that word, what do you think you are calling that person?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2006, 01:21 PM

That is true. A few years ago the gay community had major problems with Eminem using the word F$g in some of his songs. Which Eminem basically said the samething you did. Hell when I see people that I don't like around my town I call them that word.

augustashark
12-09-2006, 02:55 PM

What????????????????

You lost respect for Porter because he walked out of the lockerroom after that game?

I walked out of a Burger King when they forgot to hold the mayo....Samething?

Just sounds kinda silly.

steelerbackr4life
12-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I agree what can you say after getting your but kicked?

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I think this is all being blown out of proportion. The word fag has become more than a word just used to describe gay men. It is used every day, and I don't really think I am calling a person a homosexual when I use the word. Most str8 men are to the point that when they use this word, it is just a word. The gay and lesbian community need to get off of their soapbox, their dicks out of the mud and stop condemning people for every little thing anyone has to say abotu their lifestyle. They can choose to live that doesn't mean we/I have to respect and accept it.ok. what about the word "homo"? would it be right if someone repeatedly called a football player the actual word homo vs. the slang term?

i'll be honest and admit i have called tom brady one. not because he talks too much or takes cheap shots but because he exhibits some womanly characteristics. you know, like T.O. said: if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
What????????????????

You lost respect for Porter because he walked out of the lockerroom after that game?

I walked out of a Burger King when they forgot to hold the mayo....Samething?

Just sounds kinda silly.

Not quite the same as having Burger King screw up your order.

I assume it is big fun to prance around the 45 yard line in pre-game for the cameras and play trick or treat while coming dressed for the game in fatigues when you are winning. But standing up when adversity hits counts for a lot more.

Contrast Porter bolting for the door and hiding from the media after the Ravens game, when only his ego was bruised, with Hines Ward (who broke a bone in his knee) answering questions after the game

Ward's comments:

"It's very frustrating. I put it all out there. I didn't have to play this game -- a lot of people probably wouldn't have played this game. But I wanted to go out there and fight with my teammates.

"Did I play a perfect game? No. I left a lot of plays [out there], but it's amazing for it to be a big game like it was, we didn't come out and match the intensity that they did and that was frustrating."

Asked why his team looked so flat, Ward said, "I can't speak for the other guys, I don't know."

"That's why I took all the extra steps, so I could play. I wanted to play this game. This game is the biggest game of our [year] if we win out, and we laid an egg out there. We didn't show up. They wanted it more than we did."

If you are going to be a team leader you need to be there in bad times as well as good times.

Stillers#1
12-09-2006, 06:00 PM
?????

When you use that word, what do you think you are calling that person?

To me, it is just like calling someone an idiot. Plain and simple. Nothing more, nothing less. The word doesn't have the same meaning for me and people in my generation, as it may for others.

Stillers#1
12-09-2006, 06:02 PM
ok. what about the word "homo"? would it be right if someone repeatedly called a football player the actual word homo vs. the slang term?

i'll be honest and admit i have called tom brady one. not because he talks too much or takes cheap shots but because he exhibits some womanly characteristics. you know, like T.O. said: if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

Eh, I dunno dude, sometimes I have a hard time putting how I feel about this stuf finto words, I just know if I had said the same thing ass Porter, I would not be apologizing.

I have a slight feeling Peezy doesn't really feel sorry either, and he hass the right not to.

SteelCzar76
12-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Honestly,.... i'm tired of Homosexuals trying to play the "minority" justice P.C card. A person cannot help which ethnicity they are born of.
However there is no scientific evidence to support that choosing to "Rump Wrangle" is anything more than a matter of personal preferance.
"Knock it off"

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

silver & black
12-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Settle what money issues like a man?

He wanted to renegotiate his contract with 2 years to go, which the Steelers have only done with Maddox, which was a different situation since Maddox had become a starting QB.. If Ward had to wait until the last year of his contract to get a new deal, Porter knew he was going to be treated no better.

Whatever it was about, he didn't hold out, or cry about it. He talked with Cower about it and went on with playing football.

He didn't/doesn't act like another Porter I know. I would love to have him play for my team.

You Steeler fans have been blessed with players that are not very problematic compared to some players on other teams. I understand this is because problem players are not tolerated on your team, and that's cool, but in the future, I think even the Steelers are going to have to deal with these types of players, as they are seemingly becoming more abundant around the league every year. Porter doesn't even come close to being a problem player.

SteelerCuse
12-09-2006, 06:52 PM

I'm sorry, but that is ignorant. It is a derogatory word for a homosexual. Just because it has become mainstream due to the laissez-faire attitude towards the gay community, does not make it OK. When someone uses the word it is to degrade another person. Noone has ever said it in a complimentary way. If you ask any gay person, it is extremely hurtful, and they are very offended by the use of the word.

Just because the word has become prevelant in todays culture, does not mean it is OK to say it. Joey said it, and he quickly realized it was wrong and apologized. I commend him for apologizing, and hopefully the NFL fines him, to send a message that the use of the word is not OK.

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Whatever it was about, he didn't hold out, or cry about it. He talked with Cower about it and went on with playing football.

He didn't/doesn't act like another Porter I know. I would love to have him play for my team.

You Steeler fans have been blessed with players that are not very problematic compared to some players on other teams. I understand this is because problem players are not tolerated on your team, and that's cool, but in the future, I think even the Steelers are going to have to deal with these types of players, as they are seemingly becoming more abundant around the league every year. Porter doesn't even come close to being a problem player.im not a raiders fan by any means but if porter ever does decide to leave the black and gold theres only 1 other uniform i can see him in and thats the raiders. i dont know why, but he seems to be the throwback player who would fit in perfectly there plus he would be close to home. it would actually be easier rooting for him as a raider than it was woodson.

SteelCzar76
12-09-2006, 07:53 PM

You Steeler fans have been blessed with players that are not very problematic compared to some players on other teams. I understand this is because problem players are not tolerated on your team, and that's cool, but in the future, I think even the Steelers are going to have to deal with these types of players, as they are seemingly becoming more abundant around the league every year. Porter doesn't even come close to being a problem player.

Very well said S&B. But i for one hope Peezy remains a Steeler. I'm saying,....we can grant extensions to players like Ike,....but can't come to an agreement with Joey ? Knock it off !
Peezy isn't the type of player that would become complacent following a new deal. And there isn't another LB on our roster that is his equal. (Not even Clark)
His personality may be abbrasive or "Hurt da wittle feelin's" of those with "soft" dispositions.
But this (football) isn't pattycake or a tea party with plush toys and dolls as guests. And the aforementioned "cupcakes" should Man up or go play in their "Happy Place". LMAO

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Very well said S&B. But i for one hope Peezy remains a Steeler. I'm saying,....we can grant extensions to players like Ike,....but can't come to an agreement with Joey ? Knock it off !
Peezy isn't the type of player that would become complacent following a new deal. And there isn't another LB on our roster that is his equal. (Not even Clark)
His personality may be abbrasive or "Hurt da wittle feelin's" of those with "soft" dispositions.
But this (football) isn't pattycake or a tea party with plush toys and dolls as guests. And the aforementioned "cupcakes" should Man up or go play in their "Happy Place". LMAO

The Steelers granted an extension to Porter several years ago. Unfortunately, as has been discussed on this board repeatedly, contracts under the cap are for future not past performance. LBs in their early 30s do not have a great track record of having their most productive seasons ahead of them.

Porter wants to be paid as a top 3 LB, which means he wants a big bump from his current contract. Does anyone on this board claim that Porter's best performances are going to be from 2008-2010?

It would be great if nobody ever left. But under the cap teams with top talent cannot afford to sign everyone. Being able to sign everyone would require no cap, which would mean you would get a baseball situation where the Steelers would be priced out of competing on an annual basis.

It is like having a limited amount of money when you go to the grocery store. If you want to sign Porter with contracts for Troy and Ben coming up, which other players should be let go?

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Honestly,.... i'm tired of Homosexuals trying to play the "minority" justice P.C card. A person cannot help which ethnicity they are born of.
However there is no scientific evidence to support that choosing to "Rump Wrangle" is anything more than a matter of personal preferance.
"Knock it off"

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Yeah, being gay is such a day at the beach in this society that it obviously is a lifestyle choice (like drinking Bud or Heineken) and has no genetic component. Thanks for clearing that up.

Stlrs4Life
12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Winslow about Porter: 'Classless act':

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1165657924284320.xml&coll=2

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 08:45 PM
This coming from some punk who hasn't played a full season of football and is already opening his mouth and throwing cheap shots? F-him. Sr. was a big mouth just like his son. Go figure.

MJ5150
12-10-2006, 02:48 AM
.....said Brad Luna of Human Rights Campaign, which is based in Washington D.C.

That dude needs to shut up, and quit worrying about what football players call each other.

-Mike

SteelCzar76
12-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah, being gay is such a day at the beach in this society that it obviously is a lifestyle choice (like drinking Bud or Heineken) and has no genetic component. Thanks for clearing that up.

Your welcome. (Who says i'm "insensitive" ?)

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

SteelCzar76
12-10-2006, 01:03 PM
The Steelers granted an extension to Porter several years ago. Unfortunately, as has been discussed on this board repeatedly, contracts under the cap are for future not past performance. LBs in their early 30s do not have a great track record of having their most productive seasons ahead of them.

Porter wants to be paid as a top 3 LB, which means he wants a big bump from his current contract. Does anyone on this board claim that Porter's best performances are going to be from 2008-2010?

It would be great if nobody ever left. But under the cap teams with top talent cannot afford to sign everyone. Being able to sign everyone would require no cap, which would mean you would get a baseball situation where the Steelers would be priced out of competing on an annual basis.

It is like having a limited amount of money when you go to the grocery store. If you want to sign Porter with contracts for Troy and Ben coming up, which other players should be let go?

So i take it that you've personally been made fully aware by Joey and or his agent that he is demanding top 3 money ?

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

SteelCzar76
12-10-2006, 01:04 PM

j-dawg
12-10-2006, 01:07 PM
i know why joey took the statement back... if such a statement held true in his opinion... then he'd have been owned by a girlie man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkMLsfCO9g

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 02:42 PM
So i take it that you've personally been made fully aware by Joey and or his agent that he is demanding top 3 money ?

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Joey and I do not speak, but he does give interviews.

The deal they gave me, I never seen that type of money in my life. Signed it with no questions. Was very happy about it, still happy about it. It changed my life forever. (But) I've outplayed that contract.

If you're talking about the best outside linebackers in the game right now playing, if my name ain't mentioned in the top three, I'm upset about it. Because I definitely know I am. I don't care what three, in what order, everybody's got their own opinion. But you can't tell me I'm not in there

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_479373.html

83-Steelers-43
12-10-2006, 02:56 PM
To keep it short.........

That's where Porter turns me off completely. The NFL Network....he brings up the contract. In a SI article, he brings it up. In a WTAE interview, he brings it up.

I'm sorry, I love the guys intensity. I feel his play is starting to go downhill and that's why he won't get the cash he's seeking from the Rooney's, but PLEASE STFU and play football.

SteelCzar76
12-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Joey and I do not speak, but he does give interviews.

The deal they gave me, I never seen that type of money in my life. Signed it with no questions. Was very happy about it, still happy about it. It changed my life forever. (But) I've outplayed that contract.

If you're talking about the best outside linebackers in the game right now playing, if my name ain't mentioned in the top three, I'm upset about it. Because I definitely know I am. I don't care what three, in what order, everybody's got their own opinion. But you can't tell me I'm not in there

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_479373.html

Or this quote could be a matter of, "I'll go high, you go low,......and we'll eventually end up somewhere that's beneficial for both parties".
But hey,.... what do i know about buisness ? LOL

"