PDA

View Full Version : Porter thinks Cowher will stay with Steelers

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Porter thinks Cowher will stay with Steelers

By Scott Brown and Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 9, 2006

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter doesn't expect coach Bill Cowher to retire after the season.

"I would be shocked if he don't come back," Porter told the NFL Network after the Steelers' 27-7 victory over the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night at Heinz Field.

Cowher is under contract with the Steelers through 2007, but the veteran coach's future with the team is in question.

Cowher and the Rooney family didn't agree on a contract extension prior to the start of the season, and he and his wife bought a multi-million dollar home in Raleigh, N.C.

Cowher, who is in his 15th season as the Steelers' head coach, told the NFL Network's Cris Collinsworth in an interview that, when he relocates to North Carolina -- his family is already living in Raleigh -- it would be to get away from football.

When asked about that after Thursday's game, Cowher said, "I guess, if I went to Carolina, that's what it would be."

Cowher, the longest-tenured head coach in the NFL, added that he hadn't made a decision about whether he would return to the Steelers next season.

"I feel like, right now, he's coaching like he still wants to be here. And I hope he's going to be here, because, like I said, I am fond of the guy. I love everything about him," Porter told NFL Network's Deion Sanders during an interview. "At the same time, it's all speculation. At this point in time, I have no clue. You hear all these different rumors and stuff. We got three more games to find out."

Sanders then wondered if Porter, who is known to be unhappy with a contract that has one year ($5 million) left on it, wanted to play in Pittsburgh beyond this season.

"I don't want to go nowhere," Porter said. "I don't want to go nowhere. I'm here, man. I hope they still want me here. I'm playing like I'm trying to be here. I'm going to do everything in my power to stay here."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483394.html

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 12:43 AM
porter deserves to retire a steeler. but then again so did franco.

i hate to say this but if the 31 years young porter is gone i can really see him as a raider (can anyone imagine him in a packers uniform?)

the pats will make a strong push for him too (as long as jr. seau or m. singletary arent available)

the steelers still got him for $5 mil/ year for next season which is relatively cheap considering market value for his age and talent.

good to see him still showing support/respect for the coach. (more than we can say for t.o.)

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Joey is hard to call.... I like his style on the field, but sometimes I wish he'd let his pads do the talking..... at 31 yrs old... an NFL LB ... I would say he has 2 "peak" yrs left.... we've gotten the most out of him, and the draft is always there for some young stud to fill in... I think our beloved STEELERS make a serious Super Bowl run next year, and he'd be foolish not to come along for the ride....

My buddy went to HS w/ Joey in Bakersfield, Ca (FOOTHILL HS )... he said Joey never quit talking... I grew up 120 miles from there.... never met Joey... just heard much about him...

MACH1
12-09-2006, 01:11 AM
If he does leave the one thing that would be sorely missed is the Steeler D attitude that he brings to the game....Not were going to beat you down but were going to make you quit.

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 01:19 AM
If he does leave the one thing that would be sorely missed is the Steeler D attitude that he brings to the game....Not were going to beat you down but were going to make you quit.

Not as long as Troy is there!

clevestinks
12-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I hope that he is correct! I`m rooting for Porter and Cowher to stay.

I know we may do better than Cowher, but how do you know? There is a better chance that we wont do as well. SuperBowl winning coaches are few and far between

HometownGal
12-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I hope that he is correct! I`m rooting for Porter and Cowher to stay.

I know we may do better than Cowher, but how do you know? There is a better chance that we wont do as well. SuperBowl winning coaches are few and far between

I'm with you there Cleve! With regard to Cowher - for those who want him to leave - the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There isn't an NFL couch or assistant coach out there at this point in time that I'd rather have than the Chin coaching our Steelers. :tt02:

Steelers
12-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I really hope we can keep Joey. Cowher, not so much... I've always been pro-Bill, but he's just not into it anymore.

polamalufan43
12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I want both Chin and Porter back. At least for a few more years. The D wouldn't be the same without Joey and his style of play. Sure, we would still have Troy, Ike, Larry, and Farrior, but someone would have to step up big time. And I couldn't really see Troy screaming at other players as he is strutting up and down the 50 yard line. He let's his playing do the talking. Although Larry Foote is becoming a talker, but plain and simple, Joey knows how to talk and when to, and we have all seen that.
As for Cowher, if he leaves I might seriously have a nervous breakdown. He has been the head coach for so long it just wouldn't be normal to not see him on the sidelines. Some might say he has lost his passion for the game, and I'm not saying that they are right or that they are wrong. What I'm saying, is that if Cowher still wants to coach, then he'll stay. And altough there is some pretty solid evidence that he won't, there is still a large chance that he will. And like I have said before, I highly doubt that Bill Cowher will leave on a losing record. It's just not him at all.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: