PDA

View Full Version : TROY'S CONTRACT

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Since we've been talking about Big Ben's contract...lets talk Troy.....I have read as most have you also that Troy is very happy here in Pittsburgh.. but he really is, and that guy speaks from the heart....

He is gonna take a salary cut per year, but I'm sure the Rooneys will reward him w/ a signing bonus......

Troy and Ben...... we need both....have to have both .....Troy stays, Ben stays... both sign:cheers: :thumbsup:

MACH1
12-09-2006, 02:44 AM
yep, we need to keep both these guys, just hope the rooneys think the same way.

fansince'76
12-09-2006, 02:50 AM
They're the lynchpins of our O and D. Damn straight we have to keep them.

SteelShooter
12-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Since we've been talking about Big Ben's contract...lets talk Troy.....I have read as most have you also that Troy is very happy here in Pittsburgh.. but he really is, and that guy speaks from the heart....

He is gonna take a salary cut per year, but I'm sure the Rooneys will reward him w/ a signing bonus......

Troy and Ben...... we need both....have to have both .....Troy stays, Ben stays... both sign:cheers: :thumbsup:

I'm down with that! I truly think that the Rooney's will find a way for these two will stay.

Joey, on the other hand, may be a bit too pricey for them. I hope he stays, I really like the guy, but............................................... ........$$$$. :dang:

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 03:47 AM
the steelers are in great shape with plenty of room to sign their franchise players. just about every team has atleast 1 player signed to an $8 mil + contract. plenty of teams have 2 players making that much. the steelers are the exception. we may have to sacrifice 1 good player (hartings or porter) or a little bit of depth, but all that will be addressed in the draft. ben and troy arent going nowhere. even if it means making troy the highest paid safety in the league and ben top 7.

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 06:24 AM
I think you can equate Ben/Troy with Brady/Seymour over at the Patriots.

Two players who absolutely instrumental to your teams fortunes.

I think Troy (from what I have read in interviews with him) sounds like the type of guy who understands that being with a quality team is more important that a few% more on the paycheck - see the Edge in Arizona for confirmation of that.

NM

HometownGal
12-09-2006, 06:56 AM
I think we can keep Troy with the money we save once Porter leaves, which he's going to do, no matter how much wishful thinking happens on the fans' part.

We can keep Ben signed with the money we save on Hartings.

The next question is, what do we do with the money we save on Duce and Cedrick?

The Rooneys are very intelligent people and I think they know by now the value to the team that both Troy and Ben are. They will find a way to keep both of them right where they belong - in the black and gold.

I don't believe Cedrick is going anywhere, but with some of the extra cashola from Hartings' retirement, Duce's exit and the possibility of Porter heading for greener pastures, I think getting a new field to replace that pig trough at Heinz Field would be a good start. :thumbsup: We have enough depth in most of our key positions to hold us for a year or two if we lose a couple of guys to FA or retirement.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 08:46 AM
The Troy deal needs to get done and fortunately will not be complicated by what I feared (based on Cowher's statements after the Ravens game) might be a career altering knee injury that called into question Troy's future performance.

I also do not believe the Steelers will mess around and wait until the training camp before Ben's last year on his current contract to get something done with Ben & Steinberg. Franchise QB deals (this is the first one of those the Steelers have had to negotiate in the cap era) involve so much $$$ I think the Steelers will not procrastinate and potentially need to spend even more to sign Ben.

I do think Wilson is moving on - Holmes and Hines will be starters next year, with Washington and Reid as the #3 and #4 receivers. Need to meet the budget somewhere and Wilson next year will face what happened to Morgan this past year.

Dynasty
12-09-2006, 11:44 AM
@Atlanta Dan:

I really dont think Reid will end up being our 4th wide reciever.... I have liked what i've seen from Sean Morey - suprisingly - and Reid wasn't drafted for his recieving abilities.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I think you can equate Ben/Troy with Brady/Seymour over at the Patriots.

Two players who absolutely instrumental to your teams fortunes.

I think Troy (from what I have read in interviews with him) sounds like the type of guy who understands that being with a quality team is more important that a few% more on the paycheck - see the Edge in Arizona for confirmation of that.

NM

Definantly LITP.

:cheers:

Steelers
12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I think it's obvious to anyone who has followed the Steelers for at least a year that Troy isn't your average NFL Superstar. He seems like a down-to-earth guy that has his head screwed on straight and realizes that his brightest future is in the Steel City.

I think we'd have to try to let him get away, but I hope the Rooneys compensate him very well regardless. :helmet:

polamalufan43
12-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, Troy will stay because dollar values really don't mean anything to him, or at least it seems that way from all the interviews and articles. Plus, he said he finally has a home here. Ben will probably stay. I think we'll be set for a few.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

ChronoCross
12-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I think we can keep Troy with the money we save once Porter leaves, which he's going to do, no matter how much wishful thinking happens on the fans' part.

We can keep Ben signed with the money we save on Hartings.

The next question is, what do we do with the money we save on Duce and Cedrick?

Your talking about duce savings of 1.1mil, hartings around 1.5mil, wilson is costing us next to nothing he wont be cut. Porter got most of his huge payouts just this last offseason, so cutting him pre 6-1 this upcoming offseason is only around 1.4mil if he throws a fit and threatens to sit.

I think Troy is on the lines of Ward a player who wants to stay here for his entire career so he will not go for a outragous contract and work with the head office.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
@Atlanta Dan:

I really dont think Reid will end up being our 4th wide reciever.... I have liked what i've seen from Sean Morey - suprisingly - and Reid wasn't drafted for his recieving abilities.

I do not think the Steelers ever have carried a player who is purely a returner and, in terms of the numbers game of who can play on game day, if Reid is returning kicks I think by process of elimination he will be the #4 receiver since I think he is too small to play on any kick coverage teams.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm sure Troy will be resigned and he must be resigned. Look for Troy to sign a new contract right before the 2007 begins.

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Anybody want to take a shot at some ball park figures and length of contract?

I know the Redskins should be the last team for sensible comparisons, but Adam Archuleta was given a 6 year $30 million contract - of which $10 million is guaranteed.

There was also a $5 million signing bonus and a $5 million roster bonus due in match 2007.

Ed Reed, from the Baltimore Ravens, signed a $40 million, 6 year contract with $15 million of that in a signing bonus.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Anybody want to take a shot at some ball park figures and length of contract?

I know the Redskins should be the last team for sensible comparisons, but Adam Archuleta was given a 6 year $30 million contract - of which $10 million is guaranteed.

There was also a $5 million signing bonus and a $5 million roster bonus due in match 2007.

Ed Reed, from the Baltimore Ravens, signed a $40 million, 6 year contract with $15 million of that in a signing bonus.

NM

Alot of it depends on Troy's agent also. Some agents totally over value their clients. I wouldn't be suprised at all that Troy recieves the highest contract for a safety or a DB for that matter. But at the sametime Troy seems to be a player that won't be looking to break the bank. But at the sametime he won't settle for less then his market value. I would expect Troy to sign a deal close to what Ed Reed signed for. Maybe not a 15 million signing bonus. But maybe a bonus of anywhere from 8-12 million.

BigDuke6
12-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Alot of it depends on Troy's agent also. Some agents totally over value their clients. I wouldn't be suprised at all that Troy recieves the highest contract for a safety or a DB for that matter. But at the sametime Troy seems to be a player that won't be looking to break the bank. But at the sametime he won't settle for less then his market value. I would expect Troy to sign a deal close to what Ed Reed signed for. Maybe not a 15 million signing bonus. But maybe a bonus of anywhere from 8-12 million.

Troy deserves Ed Reed money. Even more. The cap is going up over the next 2 years so it shouldnt be a problem. The Steelers FO will do whats right. Hes a special player and they know it.

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 02:04 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Troy made the highest paid safety in the league - I think thats what he deserves and what he is worth.

I agree that Troy wont be 'all about the money' - but I think the Steelers can make him the highest paid at his position without breaking the bank.

This is a guy who has the chance to redefine what safeties are expected to do in the NFL.

NM

BigDuke6
12-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, Troy will stay because dollar values really don't mean anything to him, or at least it seems that way from all the interviews and articles. Plus, he said he finally has a home here. Ben will probably stay. I think we'll be set for a few.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Its not entirely Troy's decision. There is tremendous extraneous pressures from the agents and union to ensure a marquee player like Troy Polamalu signs for what the market will bare. His signing will set a standard for all other players of his stature. In addition, pro football is a crapshoot. You are only ever one injury from going from a hero to a forgotten. broken, used up turd. ALL players (and their agents) know this. You have to make hay while the sun shines. To assume Troy will sign a lesser contract just to call Pittsburgh home is dreaming in technicolor.