PDA

View Full Version : NFL bans saints Hollis for 4 games

Livinginthe past
12-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Saints defensive tackle Hollis Thomas was suspended for the final four games of the regular season Tuesday for violating the league's steroid policy.

Thomas, backed by the team, appealed the suspension, which he said was caused by using asthma medication. He uses an inhaler daily and it apparently contained a banned steroid.

Thomas signed this year with New Orleans after playing nine seasons with the Eagles; he missed the 2002 season in Philadelphia with a broken right foot. He's had 43 tackles and four sacks for the Saints and has been an integral part of their 8-4 record, which leads the NFC South.

If New Orleans makes the playoffs, Thomas would be eligible to play. He can be added to the active roster on Jan. 1, 2007, the day after the regular season ends.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-thomassuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/9855476

What does everyone think about this?

Seems a little harsh that you can be prescribed medication for an existing condition by the teams official doctor and still get hit with a 4 game ban.

Seems like a delayed, over-the-top reaction to the steroid hoo-ha that has come out this year.

On the flip side, I dont know why more athletes dont get these substances checked out properly before they use them - that goes for remedies for colds etc aswell.

NM

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2006, 08:53 AM
If the team doc actually prescribed a med with a banned substance in it he will not be the team doc much longer.

Seems to me there are plenty of asthma meds around (such as those Bettis used) that will not run afoul of the substance abuse prohibitions.

Every athlete that tests positive has some story that usually is discredited - if you flunk the test you do the time; otherwise the policy (which is full of enough holes as it is) becomes even more ineffective.

stillers4me
12-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Wow......that seems excessive. You would think the doctor would be well aware of what medications can be prescribed and what can't. As for asthma, I have it and I can sympathize with the guy. You have to breathe and maybe that was the only way to control the condition at the time. Bettis has asthma and was able to control it but each case is different. Some people have more severe cases than others. (thankfully mine is mild but I went through a tough period where nothing was working well) Tough call. But the guys health comes first.

tony hipchest
12-09-2006, 02:28 PM
im sure everybody remembers jerome leaving pennsylvania to go play a game in the humidity of florida. he couldnt breath, therefor he couldnt play.

here we have 300+lb hollis thomas moving from philly to disaster stricken new orleans, where not only is it super humid but the air quality is poor due to mold spores, pollen and pollutants.

he had to increase his dosage just to be able to survive. you gotta think that if he were a free agent he might have made a life decision and never signed with a team in the south east to begin with.

MACH1
12-09-2006, 04:03 PM
The team doc should know whats allowed and whats not. If it was the asthma med then its the doc's fault for giving him something with steroids in it. I dont know if they can report and document what they give players to let the league know that they did prescribe a drug with a certain amount of steroids for the players health and well being. So if they did get tested it could be traced back to the prescribed med and not something else.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Seems the Saints have a younger brother now. It's the Saints. Minus all the jailings.