PDA

View Full Version : Porter, Steelers shouldn?t duck issue

83-Steelers-43
12-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Porter, Steelers shouldn?t duck issue

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 10, 2006

Regrettably, the Steelers are choosing to avoid comment on linebacker Joey Porter's foul outburst Thursday.

Porter hasn't addressed it, either. He's letting his agent do the talking.

Perhaps, both parties are hoping that because some mainstream news outlets have yet to follow the story, it will simply go away.

Here's what happened: Porter, while criticizing Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow after the Steelers' 27-7 victory, twice used a derogatory term often used to describe someone's sexual orientation.

"He's a (expletive)," Porter said.

When asked about Winslow's cheap hit on James Farrior, Porter said, "It was late; that's what (expletives) do."

You'd like to think a matter of this ilk would be particularly sensitive with the Steelers, seeing as team chairman Dan Rooney headed the NFL's diversity committee and is credited with the "Rooney Rule," which requires teams with head coaching vacancies to interview at least one minority candidate.

Rooney should have immediately and publicly condemned Porter's words, but the Steelers declined comment in a story that appeared in Saturday's editions of the Tribune-Review.

Again yesterday, asked if Rooney would weigh in on Porter's remarks, Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said, "No. We're not commenting."

This doesn't need to be made into a federal case -- like the one Porter nearly (and innocently) created in May, when he joked he'd like to tell President Bush a thing or two -- but it shouldn't be swept under the nearest patch of FieldTurf, either.

Whether he likes it or not, Porter's a role model. That isn't a choice for professional athletes. It is a fact.

He also represents the Steelers, who shouldn't tolerate such an offensive, ignorant outburst from one of their employees, particularly if they see themselves as a progressive organization.

Porter's lucky he's not a baseball player. When Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen used the same derogatory term to describe Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti last season, Major League Baseball acted swiftly. Guillen was fined and ordered to attend sensitivity training classes.

Recent precedent suggested the NFL won't take action, although a league spokesman said Porter's comments were being reviewed.

In each of the following incidents, the league took no action:

? In 2003, Detroit Lions president Matt Millen, in an argument with ex-Lions player Johnnie Morton, used the same term Porter used to describe Winslow. Millen publicly apologized.

? The same year, New York Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey used a similar word to describe Dallas coach Bill Parcells. Shockey, too, issued a public apology.

? A year earlier, San Francisco 49ers running back Garrison Hearst used a similar term in saying he didn't want any homosexuals "on my team." He later apologized.

It's possible new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will treat such remarks differently than his predecessor, Paul Tagliabue, and will want to make an example out of someone. But I doubt it.

I don't think it's necessary, either.

When the work week begins, Rooney should issue a statement condemning Porter's words. When the players report for duty, Porter should make a public apology.

It shouldn't be your typical athlete apology, the kind that goes, "I'm sorry if I offended someone." It shouldn't be along the lines of what Porter's agent told the Trib, either, saying Porter realizes he "picked the wrong word."

Rather, it should go something like this:

"What I said was ignorant. It is a word used to degrade people, to separate people. I shouldn't have said it. Nobody should say it. I apologize."

Everybody makes mistakes. Men of integrity own up.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483494.html

Stlrs4Life
12-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Boy, the media makes too much out of anything don't they?

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Whether he likes it or not, Porter's a role model. That isn't a choice for professional athletes. It is a fact.

He also represents the Steelers, who shouldn't tolerate such an offensive, ignorant outburst from one of their employees, particularly if they see themselves as a progressive organization.

Double standards always amaze me. I guess it's ok to drive drunk, stoned, puke out car windows, steal, and resist arrest. Buy those Bengals jerseys for your kids and be proud!!

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Double standards always amaze me. I guess it's ok to drive drunk, stoned, puke out car windows, steal, and resist arrest. Buy those Bengals jerseys for your kids and be proud!!

Umm - I think the Bengals arrest record has pretty regularly been condemned, but I could be wrong.

Did I miss the columns where Starkey defended the conduct of the Bengals?

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Umm - I think the Bengals arrest record has pretty regularly been condemned, but I could be wrong.

Did I miss the columns where Starkey defended the conduct of the Bengals?

The fans don't .......they're rather proud of it. And yes.....the media is making a bigger stink out of what comes out of someones mouth in the heat of the game than what is going into it and driving on the road. The same roads that I drive on here in Cincy. Judges are ignoring it and the league puts them back on the field and slaps their hands. (except for Odell Thurman).....Chris Henry has a gun charge for gawds sake and he's still on the field. I'm a middle aged Christian white woman and yes, I've been plenty offended in my lifetime and I have to just turn the other cheek.

Do you see in the above quote where it talks about role models?? What kind of role models is a team like this for the kids?? People are very proud around here to let their children where Bengals apparel. The Steeler's are very aware of their "role model status"....they aren't the ones that need the lecture on it.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 09:52 AM
The fans don't .......they're rather proud of it. And yes.....the media is making a bigger stink out of what comes out of someones mouth in the heat of the game than what is going into it and driving on the road. The same roads that I drive on here in Cincy. Judges are ignoring it and the league puts them back on the field and slaps their hands. (except for Odell Thurman).....Chris Henry has a gun charge for gawds sake and he's still on the field. I'm a middle aged Christian white woman and yes, I've been plenty offended in my lifetime and I have to just turn the other cheek.

Do you see in the above quote where it talks about role models?? What kind of role models is a team like this for the kids?? People are very proud around here to let their children where Bengals apparel. The Steeler's are very aware of their "role model status"....they aren't the ones that need the lecture on it.

Nice try in attempting to change the subject.

Joe Starkey writes a column about Porter's comments and you claim there is a double standard when it comes to the Bengals conduct. I note that to my knowledge Starkey has not defended the Bengals conduct and you come back with the Bengals fans being rather proud of the Bengals. My point was that the news media has pretty regularly trashed the Bengals for their conduct - if you can point to a columnist in Cincinnati or elsewhere defending the Bengals arrest record please provide the links.

As for the league, the Commissioner can only do so much given the nature of the collective bargaining agreement. As for the courts being soft on NFL players, maybe that is just an Ohio thing if Santonio Holmes case is any indication.

As for Bengals fans being willing to forgive and forget, some component of the fan base is going to defend players' actions, as evidenced by the numerous posts defending Porter on this board. And even fans such as myself that think Porter's comments were ignorant are not going to quit rooting for the Steelers, quit wearing my Steelers T-shirt at the gym or when I am joggging, or take my Super Bowl champs license plate frame off my car because of it.

And as for Porter making his comments in the heat of the moment, Porter did not call out Winslow during the heat of the game - he called Winlsow out in the post-game comments. Furthermore, if anyone had standing to call out Winslow it was Farrior, not Porter - of course based on his conduct over the years I think we both know Farrior is not going to go down that particular low road.

Michael Richards lashed out with the most insulting name he could think of when he was heckled in a comedy club several weeks ago and Porter reacted in a similar manner. Porter and Richards can say whatever they please, but those who do not believe those comments were appropriate also have the same freedom of speech to express their opinions as well.

If you think what Porter said was appropriate you have a right to express that opinion- you and I will respectfully disagree about this.

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I never said what Porter said was appropriate (nice job on changing the subjuct).

My response was about the "role model" comment in the article. 'Twas you that changed the subject.

I just happen to think that supporting a team full of criminals and letting my kids wear the jerseys is a heck of alot worse than any name that comes out of anyones's mouth. I live in Cincy so I get a front row view of the show.
There's something I read or see each and everyday that offends me but I just have to put up with it. As matter of fact, seeing Bengals crap everywhere I look and reading about yet 2 more arrests just this week and listening to fans say "so what" pretty much makes me want to puke. But let a Steeler say something that guys say all the time ( no, he shouldn't have said it to the press........but trust me .......alot worse gets said on the field) and minority groups are ready to crucify the guy.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I never said what Porter said was appropriate (nice job on changing the subjuct).

My response was about the "role model" comment in the article. 'Twas you that changed the subject.

I just happen to think that supporting a team full of criminals and letting my kids wear the jerseys is a heck of alot worse than any name that comes out of anyones's mouth. I live in Cincy so I get a front row view of the show.
There's something I read or see each and everyday that offends me but I just have to put up with it. As matter of fact, seeing Bengals crap everywhere I look and reading about yet 2 more arrests just this week and listening to fans say "so what" pretty much makes me want to puke. But let a Steeler say something that guys say all the time ( no, he shouldn't have said it to the press........but trust me .......alot worse gets said on the field) and minority groups are ready to crucify the guy.

Have you considered moving :)?

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 10:23 AM
That would be nice....yes I've thought about it , but just not possible at this time. There's NOTHING I like about this town, other than the fact that my son and his family are here. The Bengals and their "records" are par for the course in a city whose crime and murder rates are at an all time high. And they've tied the police hands by using the race card. Don't even start with me on this PC crap. I've had it. Common sense in this country is dead......

polamalufan43
12-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I think the media just need a story so that they can keep their jobs and make a few bucks. They always blow things out of proportion, even if it means lying. So know knows what we are really supposed to believe?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I think the media just need a story so that they can keep their jobs and make a few bucks. They always blow things out of proportion, even if it means lying. So know knows what we are really supposed to believe?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

You got that right!!

83-Steelers-43
12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
While I have no problem with Porter calling out Winslow and rubbing the loss in his face (he deserved it), I do believe Porter should have used a better choice of words when referring to Winslow. Stating that he's soft would have been just fine.

As for the Bengals. I'm not exactly sure what the Bengals have to do with Joey Porter and his comments, but for what it's worth I've read a few articles from the Cincinnati Enquirer that flammed the Bengal players and Marvin Lewis in particular for the teams off-field conduct. The fans seem to just let it slide. After stinking for as long as the Bengals have they just care about the "W".

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 10:31 AM
That would be nice....yes I've thought about it , but just not possible at this time. There's NOTHING I like about this town, other than the fact that my son and his family are here. The Bengals and their "records" are par for the course in a city whose crime and murder rates are at an all time high. And they've tied the police hands by using the race card. Don't even start with me on this PC crap. I've had it. Common sense in this country is dead......

I apologize for the joke about moving. I did not realize you sincerely dislike a lot more about Cincinnati than its football team.

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I apologize for the joke about moving. I did not realize you sincerely dislike a lot more about Cincinnati than its football team.

No need to apologize........husband and I talk moving all the time!! Neither of us are Cincy natives so we have no warm fuzzy feeling about Cincy. The bandwagon Bengals fans have about pushed us over the edge........on and off, on and off..........hey......they're going to win the SuperBowl, ya know!! If that were to happen, I think that long overdue month long vacation is in order........:dang:

Blitzburgh
12-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I happen to love what Porter said about Winslow. I think his choice of words brought me back to a day where football was football and those who knew the game also knew that anything goes when it comes to your choice of words for the opposition, especially when directed to cheap-shot punks like Winslow.

The problem with today's NFL is that it's trying to be political and appeal to too many audiences for the sake of the almighty dollar.

MACH1
12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
On one of the pre-game shows they said the NFL is going to fine him for it.

stillers4me
12-10-2006, 01:35 PM
On one of the pre-game shows they said the NFL is going to fine him for it.

That is just plain absurd.

Preacher
12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
I am really getting fed up with political correctness.

fansince'76
12-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Porter said something in the heat of the moment and has apologized for it. This subject should be dropped by the media and the NFL already.

Stilliz
12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I happen to love what Porter said about Winslow. I think his choice of words brought me back to a day where football was football and those who knew the game also knew that anything goes when it comes to your choice of words for the opposition, especially when directed to cheap-shot punks like Winslow.

The problem with today's NFL is that it's trying to be political and appeal to too many audiences for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Mega dittos