PDA

View Full Version : LT vs Fast Willie ?

NV STEELERS 723
12-10-2006, 07:17 PM
First of all my Congrats to LT for his personal achievements...He is a great back, and will be the NFL MVP this year..He is not that "power rb" though...he slashes, and is very quick, he can run over some CB's and some Safeties, OR he chooses to run around them as we saw tonight against Denver........

But, what I kept thinking is our own Willie Parker is comparable to LT...Willie is 5-10 209 Lbs.... LT is 5-10 221 Lbs... both have break away speed... both are very strong in the upper body......(Willie is cut ! ) Willie has 3 yrs of NFL Exp. and a Super Bowl... LT has 6 yrs of NFL exp.

Yes... I miss Jerome ( sorry ! ) but Willie is doing great for us... and he's not a Power Running Back..... I think Willie could put up LT numbers in the near future, avoiding injury....I think the sky is the limit when it comes to Fast Willie...he is already in our record books for season game high rushing totals... He could have had 300 yrds Thur.

I realize we need to improve our OF Line this draft for Willie to keep breaking loose, and its up to who ever we have as a OF Cord and what he believes works the best for the team.....

Bottom line _____________________ I think Willie will be as good in the coming years as LT.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Oh I have no problem with Fast Willie as the starting RB. He has done a great job. But no offense LT is one of those once in lifetime athletes. So I don't think its fair to compare Willie Parker to LaDanian Tomlinson. LT can do it all. He can run and catch the football. Plus he is known for throwing TD passes at times.

fansince'76
12-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I like Willie alot, but LT is the best RB in the league right now (possibly the best player period), and it's not really close.

Preacher
12-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I am not sure if Willie would be as good as LT... As Porter says, Wille has NO shake and bake about him. He just runs fast. real fast.

NV STEELERS 723
12-10-2006, 07:34 PM
I know I forgot to leave out that LT can throw some TD'S but Jerome threw a couple for us too....

Willie has never had his # called for that half back option... so we'll see...

I'm just saying in the future.... Willie has the skills to put up LT numbers

kyflash15
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I have been thinking the samething all year... I can see willie being close to as good as LT but i dont think anyone will come close. If we get a lil better line next year i think he can go for 15 tds and 1500+ yrds easy in his 4th yr.

Dynasty
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
ummm... willie has "shake n bake" i just wish his career would have started last year so he could have a streak of 1000 yd seasons to start a career because he will never have one since he didnt do anything his rookie year.

MACH1
12-10-2006, 07:47 PM
He's good but he's no LT

Haiku_Dirtt
12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh I have no problem with Fast Willie as the starting RB. He has done a great job. But no offense LT is one of those once in lifetime athletes. So I don't think its fair to compare Willie Parker to LaDanian Tomlinson. LT can do it all. He can run and catch the football. Plus he is known for throwing TD passes at times.

And if Willie proves to be mostly one dimensional which I kinda think of him then a slight loss of speed will be the proverbial achilles heel of his career.

NV STEELERS 723
12-10-2006, 08:27 PM
LT has 1429 yrds... 29 TD'S ( Season Record ) 5.2 Avr per Rush

Willie has 1,199 yrds 10 TD'S 4.5 Avr per Rush

And Willie has 2 games of 200+ yards rushing....this year

#39 is going to be tough to beat in our near and soon future

And w/ the way Defenses key on him inside the 20 I wouldn't be surprised if Willie threw a TD soon.... C-Mon Whiz call it !!!!!!!!!

lilyoder6
12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
well thats it.. LYT has 29 TD"S in 13 games.. he is unreal.. he has the strength to stiff arm ppl and juke the .... out of ppl has well.. and HE HAS A BEAST AT FB to block for him.. don't get me wrong a think dan is very very good t what he does but neal is a freaking best

Need4spd
12-11-2006, 02:09 AM
I have to agree with what most of you have said. Willie Parker is a good running back, and I'm really looking forward to what lies ahead for him as I think he will continue to improve as time goes on. However, Tomlinson is as someone already alluded to, a once in a generation type of player. He is without question the best running back in a league with some pretty darn good ones, and while I think it's difficult to distinguish who might be the best overall player in the NFL, I would say he is at the top of a very short list. I look at him the way I do Peyton Manning at this point in their respective careers, as being a player who could potentially one day be considered the best ever at his position.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-11-2006, 02:40 AM
I have to agree with what most of you have said. Willie Parker is a good running back, and I'm really looking forward to what lies ahead for him as I think he will continue to improve as time goes on. However, Tomlinson is as someone already alluded to, a once in a generation type of player. He is without question the best running back in a league with some pretty darn good ones, and while I think it's difficult to distinguish who might be the best overall player in the NFL, I would say he is at the top of a very short list. I look at him the way I do Peyton Manning at this point in their respective careers, as being a player who could potentially one day be considered the best ever at his position.

Love the Polamalu quote.

Sorry folks. I took the rose colored glasses off and our running attack is not what the future portends.

I luv Willie. Don't misunderstand. But...if you want to hang the future running game on Parker then don't expect the Steelers to control 'time of possession'. His big gains are 'leaks' and not 'gateways'.

fansince'76
12-11-2006, 02:49 AM
I luv Willie. Don't misunderstand. But...if you want to hang the future running game on Parker then don't expect the Steelers to control 'time of possession'.

Not like the OL has really opened many holes this year by and large either. I agree that our running game has slipped quite a bit, but it's not all on Willie.

lotas
12-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Honestly I think you guys are over looking how young Willie is. Regardless of how many years he's been a professional, he is still young, not very mature (IMO), and has room for growth. Maybe he'll gain a little size in the next few years, put on a few pounds, develop a little shake and bake in his run. Maybe pick up some new style from a backs coach. Hell if Jerome can shake and bake I'm sure Willie can. Honestly I think LT is now a veteran, he's solid at what he does, his play doesn't fluctuate, he's now with the guys like Alexander. Willie isn't there yet, like someone said he's a "leak" guy....but honestly he's very young and I think he could grow into a different style. We'll see.

Justin Otstott
12-11-2006, 06:59 AM
LT has 1429 yrds... 29 TD'S ( Season Record ) 5.2 Avr per Rush

Willie has 1,199 yrds 10 TD'S 4.5 Avr per Rush

And Willie has 2 games of 200+ yards rushing....this year

#39 is going to be tough to beat in our near and soon future

And w/ the way Defenses key on him inside the 20 I wouldn't be surprised if Willie threw a TD soon.... C-Mon Whiz call it !!!!!!!!!

AMEN BROTHER!

Stillers43
12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
LT is maybe one of the greatest RB's ever! Willie is a good, fast RB but no LT!

Infamix
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Willie has great strength and speed. If he works on his quickness and ability to make sharp cuts, he will enjoy even more success.

Stlrs4Life
12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
we need to improve our OF Line this draft for Willie to keep breaking loose, and its up to who ever we have as a OF Cord and what he believes works the best for the team.....

That is what I'm saying. Improve the OL, the run game gets better, the Steelers win more often.

tony hipchest
12-12-2006, 11:29 AM
But, what I kept thinking is our own Willie Parker is comparable to LT...Willie is 5-10 209 Lbs.... LT is 5-10 221 Lbs... both have break away speed... both are very strong in the upper body......(Willie is cut ! ) Willie has 3 yrs of NFL Exp. and a Super Bowl... LT has 6 yrs of NFL exp.

Bottom line _____________________ I think Willie will be as good in the coming years as LT.

i have often compared the size, stature, speed, and home run hitting capability of willie to LT as a defense to why he should be a full time starter in the league and not just a change of pace back.

however LT is possibly better than e. smith and b. sanders, (really if you mixed the best of emmitt and barry, LT is what youd get), which puts him in the conversation of jim brown and walter payton for the greatest ever. i dont think willie will ever be in that conversation. i do think that willie will be able to match some single game stats as LT. we saw this last game against the browns.

i can see willie matching the season stats of 2nd tier guys like e. james, c. portis and possibly t. barber. i dont see willie having record breaking or mvp seasons like m. faulk, p. holmes, j. lewis, s. alexander, e. smith or l. tomlinson. heres one reason why:

emmit had larry allen
alexander has w. jones
j. lewis has j. ogden
p. holmes had willie roaf
m. faulk had orlando pace

what sets LT apart (and b. sanders for that matter) and what keeps willie from this elite status, is that they dont/didnt have none of these names to run behind. infact going into the 2004 season the chargers were supposed to have one of the worst lines in football. (they went 12-4)

another reason why willie may not achieve record breaking status is if you look at faulk, holmes, tiki, and LT, they all have/had potential to catch a 100 balls or put up 1000 rec. yds. in a single year. they all know the playbook inside and out, like a coach. they know every offensive players assignments and can line up anywhere on the field. i dont think willie has that. not calling willie stupid but the 4 players i mentioned are probably the 4 most intelligent rb's out there.

i do think willie has the capabilities to be as durable as Lt. he has the muscle, speed, and elusiveness to not take many huge shots. many questioned if he was "big" enough, ignoring injuries to power backs such as terrell davis, fred taylor, steven davis and edgerrin james. weve definitely got a top notch back.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Not like the OL has really opened many holes this year by and large either. I agree that our running game has slipped quite a bit, but it's not all on Willie.

Completely agree.

brind666
12-13-2006, 07:14 AM
First of all my Congrats to LT for his personal achievements...He is a great back, and will be the NFL MVP this year..He is not that "power rb" though...he slashes, and is very quick, he can run over some CB's and some Safeties, OR he chooses to run around them as we saw tonight against Denver........

Yes... I miss Jerome ( sorry ! ) but Willie is doing great for us... and he's not a Power Running Back..... I think Willie could put up LT numbers in the near future, avoiding injury....I think the sky is the limit when it comes to Fast Willie...he is already in our record books for season game high rushing totals... He could have had 300 yrds Thur.

I realize we need to improve our OF Line this draft for Willie to keep breaking loose, and its up to who ever we have as a OF Cord and what he believes works the best for the team.....

comparing LT and Willie is like comparing Joe Montana and Tommy Maddox.... 2 different worlds not even close....!!!!!