PDA

View Full Version : Can We 'Realistically' Win The Last Three?

SteelFan4Life
12-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Everybody is talking about playoff scenarios and what teams need to loss what games for the Steelers to 'slip' into the playoffs. All these scenarios count on the Steelers winning their last three games. Realistically, can that be done?

I can see us beating the Panthers - esp. if Jake Del. remains out for next week.

However, I'm not so sure we can pull off an upset against the Ravens. Judging by our last meeting with them - they are HUNGRY for the playoffs this season. Our boys have just NOT showed that same desire this season.

Also, can we beat the Bengals to wrap up the season? I'm pretty sure they are going to do EVERYthing they can to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs.

Now, I AM a diehard Steelers fan (do not take my comments wrong). However, I'm just trying to be realistic here. I do not like getting hopes up just to have them smashed.

So, I say we will go 2-1 the last three and finish 8-8 with no playoffs. Sad, but seems un-avoidable.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Bengals will be the toughest of the three but knocking them out of the playoffs would be by far the most satisfying of the three games to win.

Wins over terrible Browns and Bucs teams do not lead me to believe all 3 remaining games will be won. Most likely win is the Ravens game at home.

Steelers
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Most likely win is the Ravens game at home.

Care to elaborate on that, Sparky?

fansince'76
12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Bengals will be the toughest of the three but knocking them out of the playoffs would be by far the most satisfying of the three games to win.

I'm not sure I agree with this - we GAVE Cincy the first game we played against them this year, and they still cannot stop the run. I see the Baltimore game as being the toughest to win.

NV STEELERS 723
12-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I like our chances of the STEELERS beating the Bengals away...they beat us at home this year...

The Ravens are so tough!!! They went into KC and kicked their butt... they have a great D and McNair is not about to make mistakes... even w/ the STEELERS at home I just don't see us beating them.... we have a history of turnovers this year and the Ravens are I think + 15 on that subject.... so even though I hope so much .... I think we lose to the Ravens at Heinz Field....

Sorry I did this backwards, but STEELERS beat the Panthers by 14 points.....

8-8 does not make the dance....

But I still love the STEELERS!

fansince'76
12-10-2006, 10:10 PM
I like our chances of the STEELERS beating the Bengals away...they beat us at home this year...

The Ravens are so tough!!! They went into KC and kicked their butt... they have a great D and McNair is not about to make mistakes... even w/ the STEELERS at home I just don't see us beating them.... we have a history of turnovers this year and the Ravens are I think + 15 on that subject.... so even though I hope so much .... I think we lose to the Ravens at Heinz Field....

Sorry I did this backwards, but STEELERS beat the Panthers by 14 points.....

8-8 does not make the dance....

But I still love the STEELERS!

I'd be happy with an 8-8 record, considering the dismal 2-6 start.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Care to elaborate on that, Sparky?

Well, for starters it is a home game rather than a road game. Steelers home record this year is much better than their road record and home field is still generally regarded by bookies as worth three points.

In addition, while the Ravens beat a fading Chiefs team on the road today, they have been less than impressive in road trips to Denver and Cincy. I do not look for the Ravens to repeat their dominating run performance at Heinz and the special teams are not as big a concern since Sams is gone for the year.

In addition, I do believe the Steelers have some pride and will be motivated to seek some payback for the 27-0 pasting 2 weeks ago.

Moreover, if you go back to 2000 this series has split every season (except when the Steelers won home and away in 2002), including both teams Super Bowl seasons.

Finally, since I still expect Cowher to be gone after this season I believe the team and Cowher will be jacked for what potentially is his last home game as Steelers head coach.

Barring injuries I expect the Steelers to be no worse than pick 'em and probably a slight favorite on December 24.

Preacher
12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Yes, I think we can. No, it is not that I have my head in the clouds.

Carolina... yep, we can do it.

Now, Ravens, Cowher came out and said that the problem was his game planning. He did not plan well at all. That will change. Last game showed that they learned how to protect Ben (yeah, I know it was the Browns.... but the schemes were right). Ravens didn't put up too many points on the Steelers by long drives, Steelers mistakes allowed the points to be put up by playing on a short field. Yeah, it will be difficult, but realistically, 50/50. Maybe better.

Bengals... Well, No run defense... Parker over 200 yards on the run. Buh-bye.

Steelers
12-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Well, for starters it is a home game rather than a road game. Steelers home record this year is much better than their road record and home field is still generally regarded by bookies as worth three points.

In addition, while the Ravens beat a fading Chiefs team on the road today, they have been less than impressive in road trips to Denver and Cincy. I do not look for the Ravens to repeat their dominating run performance at Heinz and the special teams are not as big a concern since Sams is gone for the year.

In addition, I do believe the Steelers have some pride and will be motivated to seek some payback for the 27-0 pasting 2 weeks ago.

Moreover, if you go back to 2000 this series has split every season (except when the Steelers won home and away in 2002), including both teams Super Bowl seasons.

Finally, since I still expect Cowher to be gone after this season I believe the team and Cowher will be jacked for what potentially is his last home game as Steelers head coach.

Barring injuries I expect the Steelers to be no worse than pick 'em and probably a slight favorite on December 24.

I don't know. That sounds too superstitious to me. Thinking we'll win because we've split every season since 2000, and home field advantage, and the Cowher-factor isn't quite as tangible as I'd like, but with a team this emotional, who knows?

Without significant injuries to their squad, Baltimore will give us all we can handle.

SwedishSteeler
12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Maybe I just see things in a different way since I grew up in another country...But when your sports team has a way...any way to win it all you don't ask yourself "will my team win?"...you just don't. You count on your team to do everything it possibly can; and that includes winning. Of COURSE we can realistically win this sh!t...I know I ain't been here, but every other damn thread in this part of the forum seems to be putting the steelers down rather than putting them through...

The ravens, in my opinion did not play that well against us in our first meeting; we just played horribly against them. So, this time; knowing what we have to do better, we'll beat them...easily.

Cincy = win

Atlanta = win.

I CANT WAIT!!! SUPERBOWL 41.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
The split every season is not superstition - these teams are traditionally well matched with good defenses and it is unusual for either side to win both games in a season. Accordingly, when in doubt go with the home team.

I certainly am not saying it is a lock, but if picking one game of the three I will take my chances at Heinz as opposed to going with the road version of this team that has not beaten anyone other than the Browns (and was fortunate to do that) this year.

HometownGal
12-10-2006, 10:49 PM

If we don't make the playoffs, knocking the Bungles out in the last game of the season would be almost as satisfying as if we had made it. Almost............:banana:

MACH1
12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
If we don't make the playoffs, knocking the Bungles out in the last game of the season would be almost as satisfying as if we had made it. Almost............:banana:

Almost would be worth it just to hear them whine all next year about it.:thumbsup:

floodcitygirl
12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Almost would be worth it just to hear them whine all next year about it.:thumbsup:Ohhhh....you have NO IDEA!!! :tt02:

fansince'76
12-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Ohhhh....you have NO IDEA!!! :tt02:

I can only imagine! :toofunny:

MJ5150
12-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Carolina I can see us winning. Carolina is having a major letdown this year, just like we are. With Delhomme out, Smith's impact on the game should decrease enough to make it possible for us to win as long as we get some pressure on their QB.

Cincy....yeah, we can win. Those guys haven't mastered the art of winning football, especially when it matters. That's all I have for those goofy Bungals.

I think Baltimore has too much to play for. Plus, how they handled us a couple weeks ago, leaves me little hope for a win, even at Heinz.

-Mike

floodcitygirl
12-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I can only imagine! :toofunny:I have been a VERY good girl this year and I have asked Santa for only ONE gift.....to arrive on New Years Eve. :tt02:

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up either and for the last couple of weeks I've been trying to brace myself for the playoffs without the Steelers this year.

but boy do I want to freaking crush the "drug-dealers" (minus McNair) and the Bengals

It drives me crazy when anyone suggests that the Bengals are this years Steelers. We gave them yet another win this year, and its time to take it back....hopefully knocking the wimps right out of the playoffs.

And as for the Ravens.........27-0...........need I say more than "Revenge!!!!"

If the Steelers could just give me good wins against those two teams,I'll forget about our craptastic year somewhat, and would be able to go into the off-season without punching something whenever football is brought up.

plenewken
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
You said realistically, right?
Well, realistically, the answer is no.

sumo
12-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I think we can play with anybody in the NFL and that's not me being overly optimistic - but the next 3 games will be tough - IMHO, our pass defense is our biggest weakness and Weinke just threw for 423 yards yesterday - so what do you think they will do against us?

Bengals and Ravens sure we can beat them - we have the Ravens at home which is good and the Bengals the last week of the season with a chance to potentially ruin their playoff hopes - I like our chances in all 3 - but all 3 will be tough games and I can't wait to see them!

ChronoCross
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
If we show up and play solid mistake free ball we will win every game out. We have the talent to beat any team in this league we just have not played great ball this year. So yes we can win the last 3 and if it comes down to it, I think we can knock Bengals chance out of getting to the playoffs if they need that last win to get in.

Elvis
12-11-2006, 04:06 PM
wouldnt that be awesome to do that to the Bengals..?
I would be loving every bit of it...Beat the Ravens and then the Bengals... that would make this terrible season a success!!:tt02: :helmet: :wave: If we show up and play solid mistake free ball we will win every game out. We have the talent to beat any team in this league we just have not played great ball this year. So yes we can win the last 3 and if it comes down to it, I think we can knock Bengals chance out of getting to the playoffs if they need that last win to get in.

SteelFan4Life
12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
I agree with most that the Ravens will probably be our only loss in the last three. I'm sure hoping we do beat the Bengals and end the season with a bang!

CantStop85
12-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I can only imagine! :toofunny:
You got that right.

Stlrs4Life
12-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Wins over terrible Browns and Bucs teams do not lead me to believe all 3 remaining games will be won. Most likely win is the Ravens game at home.

Agree with all, except most likely win will be against the Panthers outta the last 3 games.