PDA

View Full Version : Borski's 'How the Steelers make the playoffs' latest.

Livinginthe past
12-11-2006, 08:09 AM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/pburgh2.jpg

Thanks Borski.

We'll keep this thread discussion free and i'll update your latest version when you do it.

For discussion http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13092

This is the latest update - if you spot any mistakes shout them out.

NM

Chronicgaming
12-16-2006, 09:19 PM
That being said, cool spreadsheet. While the playoffs would be an added bonus, I'll be happy with a season finish over .500. Well, not happy but it would make for a good finish after the first half of the season.

fansince'76
12-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Not to start an argument, but TonyHomo.com is a pretty offensive (but hilarious) spoof blog written from a fake Drew Bledsoe point of view and really isn't targeted towards anyone except Tony Romo.

I think it's much more of a slam on Bledsoe than it is on Romo.

ThatGuy246
12-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey!

First off, great chart! It's a really helpful reference, and I've been citing it all day as something I culled from SteelersFever. I love the fact that even in the face of a less-than-stellar season, no one's losing hope and people are looking to what can be instead of what could've been done.

That said, and I apolgize for seeming impulsive, but would it be possible to post an updated scenario in light of our beloved Stillers' win, the Jets win, and the Jags loss? I've been driving all day home to Pittsburgh from my temporary home in Boston, and I just finished watching the game (my father was gracious enough to tape it for me anticipating my arrival and knowing that I would have no access to TV or radio broadcasts). My admittedly simple-mind is wayyy too fatigued to figure it out on my own at the moment. Naturally, after a win like that, I'm kinda pumped, too, to say the least!

Absolutely no rush, and many thanks again for putting forth the effort to consolidate the current post-season picture! Take care, and happy holidays to all... Never lose faith, Steelers Nation...at the very least, our guys have really shown their true character the last few weeks!

-Deej

Borski
12-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Hey!

First off, great chart! It's a really helpful reference, and I've been citing it all day as something I culled from SteelersFever. I love the fact that even in the face of a less-than-stellar season, no one's losing hope and people are looking to what can be instead of what could've been done.

That said, and I apolgize for seeming impulsive, but would it be possible to post an updated scenario in light of our beloved Stillers' win, the Jets win, and the Jags loss? I've been driving all day home to Pittsburgh from my temporary home in Boston, and I just finished watching the game (my father was gracious enough to tape it for me anticipating my arrival and knowing that I would have no access to TV or radio broadcasts). My admittedly simple-mind is wayyy too fatigued to figure it out on my own at the moment. Naturally, after a win like that, I'm kinda pumped, too, to say the least!

Absolutely no rush, and many thanks again for putting forth the effort to consolidate the current post-season picture! Take care, and happy holidays to all... Never lose faith, Steelers Nation...at the very least, our guys have really shown their true character the last few weeks!

-Deej

I'm currently trying to figure out the best scenario, although im kinda tired and I have to work tomarrow all day so it might not be put up till after the Bungals game.

Livinginthe past
12-18-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm currently trying to figure out the best scenario, although im kinda tired and I have to work tomarrow all day so it might not be put up till after the Bungals game.

Hey Borski,

Take your time - anytime between now and next weekend is good - if you post it here i'll superimpose it over the current set-up. :cheers:

NM

Borski
12-18-2006, 01:42 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pEBPWnRA9oaF3OLDqvk2KEg

heres just a ruff look at what might happen, I'm thinking about adding the other teams at 7-7 too but im not sure how long that would take. there might be a error or two, feel free to let me know if you spot them.

PS the highlighted part are games that finished.

klick81
12-18-2006, 02:18 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pEBPWnRA9oaF3OLDqvk2KEg

heres just a ruff look at what might happen, I'm thinking about adding the other teams at 7-7 too but im not sure how long that would take. there might be a error or two, feel free to let me know if you spot them.

PS the highlighted part are games that finished.

Thanks for the charts man.

steelhmr
12-18-2006, 11:14 AM
why do we need the jets to lose all of their remaining games? according to the tie-breaking rules for wild card teams, they could lose one of their remaining games and finish tied with us at 9-7. then it would go to conference records and we would again be tied. next it would go to common games record, and there we would hold the advantage 3-2 to their 2-3. is there something i'm missing?

also, i believe buffalo could win out and overtake our spot since they would have a better conference record. of course they could lose tie breakers to other teams so....

Infamix
12-18-2006, 11:39 AM
why do we need the jets to lose all of their remaining games? according to the tie-breaking rules for wild card teams, they could lose one of their remaining games and finish tied with us at 9-7. then it would go to conference records and we would again be tied. next it would go to common games record, and there we would hold the advantage 3-2 to their 2-3. is there something i'm missing?

also, i believe buffalo could win out and overtake our spot since they would have a better conference record. of course they could lose tie breakers to other teams so....

I believe you are right

klick81
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM

:wave: Welcome. Did you follow a link to this website?

steelhmr
12-18-2006, 12:09 PM
i just found the site via google. i was looking for discussions related to this matter and particularly the jets scenario since i believe myself to be right on the matter. but like i said, there could be something i'm missing, but i am just following the rules for tie-breaking found here http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

klick81
12-18-2006, 12:10 PM
i just found the site via google. i was looking for discussions related to this matter and particularly the jets scenario since i believe myself to be right on the matter. but like i said, there could be something i'm missing, but i am just following the rules for tie-breaking found <a href="http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers">here</a>

Kewl...thanks for your input. The more the better.

Steeler in Carolina
12-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if Denver and KC end up tied, KC makes the playoffs because of a better division record. So, if Pit, KC, and Den end up at 9-7---Pit goes because KC eleminates Den and Pit beat KC head to head.

klick81
12-18-2006, 06:46 PM
LOL...i'll just let things work themselves out. There are so many possible combinations of possiblities. Too confusing!

Livinginthe past
12-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if Denver and KC end up tied, KC makes the playoffs because of a better division record. So, if Pit, KC, and Den end up at 9-7---Pit goes because KC eleminates Den and Pit beat KC head to head.

3 way ties are worked out differently.

One team has to have a winning advantage over both other teams - it doesnt work like an eliminator where KC knock out DEnver and then Pittsburgh gets the winner.

NM

Preacher
12-19-2006, 03:44 AM
Borski...

Good chart... Though you gotta figure out a scenario that doesn't require the Jets losing to OAKLAND!!

steelhmr
12-19-2006, 06:31 AM
3 way ties are worked out differently.

One team has to have a winning advantage over both other teams - it doesnt work like an eliminator where KC knock out DEnver and then Pittsburgh gets the winner.

NM

sorry mate, you're wrong on this one. here are the first two steps of the rules for clarification.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Borski
12-19-2006, 05:55 PM
http://borski88.googlepages.com/Image1.gif

Can someone explain to me how a three way tie would work (Pitt, KC & Jets) I tried reading the tiebreakers on three way ties but didn't understand it. until i know how that would work out the Jets will have to lose to Oakland, however unlikely

Steeler in Carolina
12-20-2006, 04:37 PM
http://borski88.googlepages.com/Image1.gif

Can someone explain to me how a three way tie would work (Pitt, KC & Jets) I tried reading the tiebreakers on three way ties but didn't understand it. until i know how that would work out the Jets will have to lose to Oakland, however unlikely

If Jets win out (10-6) and Denver beats Cincy, but lose to SF (9-7) and KC wins out (9-7) then a three way tie between KC, Den, Pit. Pitt then goes to playoffs.

warddj86
12-22-2006, 05:51 PM
no we could make it this way

PIT 7-7 BAL W CIN W_______________________6th seed
CIN 8-6 DEN L PIT L__________________________8-8
JAX 8-6 NE L KC L__________________________8-8
BUF 7-7 TEN L BAL L_________________________7-9
TEN 7-7 BUF W NE L__________________________8-8
DEN 8-6 CIN W SF W_________________________5th seed
NYJ 8-6 MIA L OAK W_________________________9-7(We win the tiebreaker with thm because we beat the Browns twice and the Jets lost to the Browns)

GO STEELERS!!!!

Steel Warrior
12-22-2006, 08:01 PM
The possibilities are endless, but, if we don't make the playoffs, but knock the bungles out the last game, that'll have to work.
:smoker:

Borski
12-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Well, I guess thats it. we're eliminated. that really sucks, I really thought we would have played alot better vs the Ravens this time.

Livinginthe past
12-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Well, I guess thats it. we're eliminated. that really sucks, I really thought we would have played alot better vs the Ravens this time.

Hey Borski,

Thanks for your time anyway!

NM

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 03:23 PM
The possibilities are endless, but, if we don't make the playoffs, but knock the bungles out the last game, that'll have to work.
:smoker:

I'd settle for ruining their season at this point.

tony hipchest
12-24-2006, 03:24 PM
wow! litp sure was quick with the trigger to drop this thread from sticky status!

Livinginthe past
12-24-2006, 03:29 PM
wow! litp sure was quick with the trigger to drop this thread from sticky status!

Hey, im nothing if not efficient :wink02:

NM

tony hipchest
12-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey, im nothing if not efficient :wink02:

NMthat had to be gratifying huh? almost as if it were you pulling the plug on the steelers season! you gotta love symbolic gestures!

Livinginthe past
12-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Not at all.

It would have been good to have the Steelers in the post season.

NM

Borski
12-24-2006, 03:48 PM
that had to be gratifying huh? almost as if it were you pulling the plug on the steelers season! you gotta love symbolic gestures!

come on now, he didnt mean anything by it, once we're eliminated theres no reason for it to be 'sticky'

tony hipchest
12-24-2006, 04:29 PM
come on now, he didnt mean anything by it, once we're eliminated theres no reason for it to be 'sticky' :wink02:

Preacher
12-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Actually, I was coming in here without really looking in order to tell LITP to please take it off sticky. I am glad he did already!

MJ5150
12-24-2006, 07:17 PM
As soon as we all stop posting in this thread it can drift peacefully to the bottom of the pile...just like our hearts. :crying01:

So sad.

-Mike