View Full Version : Porter's latest put-down out of line

83-Steelers-43
12-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Porter's latest put-down out of line

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 11, 2006

Joey Porter's in trouble again.

Porter talks a lot. Sometimes, he talks enough for the entire Steelers team.

There are times when Porter talks too much -- like late Thursday night, when he called Browns tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name to describe someone's sexual orientation.

Sometimes when players talk a lot -- and Porter can trash talk with them best of them -- they're trying to motivate their teammates.

This wasn't the case.

Porter crossed the line of good taste.

Apologize, Joey. You were wrong -- dead wrong.

Why waste valuable time and energy verbally jousting with a third-year player on a terrible team who did next to nothing in the Steelers 27-7 win?

Save your rants for Carolina wide receivers Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson, who face the Steelers on Sunday.

Let's be honest. The Browns just aren't that good. Neither are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Steelers beat the Browns twice and Tampa Bay for their last three wins and are starting to feel good about themselves again.

The Steelers feed off Porter's energy the way Kobayashi devours hot dogs. He's their designated motivator.

Coach Bill Cowher turns Porter loose because Porter doesn't mind taking one for the team.

Porter couldn't care less what we think of him.

But there's a time and place for everything.

Porter's timing was all wrong. Not because he ripped Winslow. But for the way he ripped him.

Porter's tirade stemmed from Winslow's blocking linebacker James Farrior from behind at the end of a play. Farrior had relaxed and could have been seriously injured. Winslow received a personal foul penalty and incensed Porter.

Don't think for a minute that Farrior's upset at the way Porter came to his defense. That's what teammates are supposed to do. Porter is a great teammate.

But the man does has a track record for controversy.

The week prior to Super Bowl XL, Porter ripped Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens (what is it with Porter and opposing tight ends, anyway?) following Stevens' remarks that the Seahawks were going to spoil Jerome Bettis' homecoming to Detroit.

There are two major differences between how Porter handled that situation and this one.

Last year, the Steelers were a red-hot playoff team on the verge of winning a championship. Porter, remember, was having a fabulous postseason that included making Colts quarterback Peyton Manning run for his life, after promising to do just that before the teams played. Given the way Porter and the Steelers were playing, Porter was well within his rights to boast.

This year, the Steelers are in danger of missing the playoffs. And Porter hasn't been the same dominant player. As a result, Porter's words don't carry the same weight.

Second, while Porter attacked Stevens' manhood, he didn't insult an entire group of people like he did with Winslow. He didn't have to, because he was on top of his game and didn't have to resort to cheap insults.

Porter is 29, an eight-year NFL veteran who has been to three Pro Bowls and ranks fourth in franchise history with 60 sacks. He's going to continue speaking his mind, because Cowher has empowered him to do so. It's too late to turn back now.

Porter is one of Cowher's all-time favorite players. Cowher needed Porter to win a Super Bowl. Now that he's won one, Cowher has no choice but to allow Joey to keep being Joey. Cowher could have done without Porter's latest meltdown, but in the coach's own words, it is what it is.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483597.html

Livinginthe past
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
The week prior to Super Bowl XL, Porter ripped Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens (what is it with Porter and opposing tight ends, anyway?) following Stevens' remarks that the Seahawks were going to spoil Jerome Bettis' homecoming to Detroit.

Maybe its something to do with the fact the tightends are typically the guys who Porter, as an OLB, is expected to cover?

Hows that sound Mr. Harris?

This story seems to have alot of legs - but to my mind there are alot worse things said in pro-sports than calling someone a 'fag'.

NM

floodcitygirl
12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
An "untimely" comment....ok. An "insensitive" comment....I'll give you that. But a "meltdown"??????? Give me a break.

coachspeak33
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Was joey wrong??? abolutely

Does this reporter make a federal case of this if the steelers are 10-2??? Probably not.

Is Kellen Winslow a cheap shot artist who runs his mouth after being nothing more than the safety valve for a team who cant pass protect?? No question about it.

Hey Kellen the NFL is a lonely place for an offensive player to be with nothing but enemies around you.... thats a lonely scary place.... good luck crossing the middle for the next few yrs

Infamix
12-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Maybe Mr Harris is a fag

skidboot
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
What!
A player called another player a derogatory name during a game of Football!!!

My Goodness, what has the Game of Football become!

For shame.

stlrtruck
12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Not that I approve of Mr. Porter's comments but it's not like Joey hasn't been down this path before.
And if this were a comment said anywhere else, it would have not only gone under the radar, it never would have gotten wings.
It amazes me, that the media take everything that athletes say and put it on a pedestool for the world to analyze.
How many of us or how many other fans use the same derogatory name when speaking to others? And how many times is it posted in the newspaper?
Again, I don't agree with the way Porter handled himself, but sometimes we all say things that shouldn't be said...does the man need to be crucified over it?

I know, I know, some will say that he offended people. Yes, he probably did. How many "groups" of people get offended every day because of something that was said or done by none other than a "star". I honestly believe that this world was a much better place before PC became common place!

How many "groups" do you think Jack Lambert would have offended if he played today?

I went a step further. There is a guy here at my work who is a homosexual and I asked him, "If a pro athlete used the word "fag" would you be offended?" He responded, that he's not offended by the word and that people just need to get over what others say, and it's usually taken out of context. So maybe people aren't offended and the media is speaking for a "group" of people they shouldn't be!!!

fansince'76
12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
This year, the Steelers are in danger of missing the playoffs. And Porter hasn't been the same dominant player. As a result, Porter's words don't carry the same weight.

If that is the case, DROP IT ALREADY.

tony hipchest
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
i really dont know if the homosexual community is that outraged. i mean do the browns and the cleveland community get in an uproar every time a player says

"we played like shit",
"you aint shit", or
"hes a piece of shit" ???

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Maybe Mr Harris is a fag

There probably are several people you think you know a lot better than Mr. Harris who actually meet the definition of that vulgarity but you do not know it.

Just a thought when you start playing that card to insult people.

floodcitygirl
12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Let's compare.....Porter called Winslow a name.....Winslow's cheap late hit could have seriously injured Farrior. Who should have more negative feedback???

Infamix
12-11-2006, 04:13 PM
There probably are several people you think you know a lot better than Mr. Harris who actually meet the definition of that vulgarity but you do not know it.

Just a thought when you start playing that card to insult people.

Sorry, I did not know that you fit that category as well. My apologies

83-Steelers-43
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Cowher has not talked to Porter yet – the Steelers have been off since beating the Browns – and said what the outside linebacker called Winslow was “inappropriate.”

“Certainly there is no reason to use that word,” Cowher said, adding that he didn’t think Porter meant to offend anybody with what he said.

The NFL is reviewing what Porter said. - http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_483689.html

stillers4me
12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
i really dont know if the homosexual community is that outraged. i mean do the browns and the cleveland community get in an uproar every time a player says

"we played like shit",
"you aint shit", or
"hes a piece of shit" ???

Touche!! :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I did not know that you fit that category as well. My apologies

Are you this clever and articulate all the time or do you just save it for the board?

SteelerFanInCA
12-11-2006, 05:33 PM
People are just too sensitive with these kind of things.

Stillers43
12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Way to go Porter! Keep up the good work! That's what football is about! All Browns are fags not just Winslow!

Infamix
12-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Are you this clever and articulate all the time or do you just save it for the board?

I don't know....what about you Dan?

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't know....what about you Dan?

Post deleted pursuant to terms of truce :)

Infamix
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Oooo - clever comeback. I give up.
edit:

Atlanta Dan we're both steelers fans so lets leave our clever or non-clever comebacks for the Carolina *****cats

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
edit:

Atlanta Dan we're both steelers fans so lets leave our clever or non-clever comebacks for the Carolina *****cats

Fair enough - ceasefire

Stlrs4Life
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Maybe Mr Harris is a fag

Exactly what I was thinking. Shut up Harris and go back to your desk. Pittsburgh sportswriters are the worst.

Infamix
12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Shut up Harris and go back to your desk. Pittsburgh sportswriters are the worst.

Actually I find Pittsburgh sportswriters to be quite reasonable. Harris blew up this topic though, you are right about that.

Stlrs4Life
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
By Tribune-Review
Monday, December 11, 2006

The Steelers will likely be without Troy Polamalu for Sunday?s game at Carolina. The All-Pro safety is listed as doubtful for the 1 p.m. game because of a knee injury as are wide receiver Cedrick Wilson (ankle) and backup safety Mike Logan (hamstring).

Wide receiver Hines Ward (knee) and free safety Ryan Clark (groin) are questionable for the game the Steelers have to win to keep their faint playoff hopes alive.

The Steelers improved to 6-7 with a 27-7 win over the Browns last Thursday. After the game Joey Porter called Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name for homosexuals.

Cowher has not talked to Porter yet ? the Steelers have been off since beating the Browns ? and said what the outside linebacker called Winslow was ?inappropriate.?

?Certainly there is no reason to use that word,? Cowher said, adding that he didn?t think Porter meant to offend anybody with what he said.

The NFL is reviewing what Porter said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483689.html

Stilliz
12-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Even talking about this crap is pitiful.

Jack Lambert shakes his head in disgust. Bunch of freaking fags we got playing nowadays..... ewwww wouldnt wanna hurt anyones feelings......how dare we all not BE politically correct in todays world !!!

Ok now tell me how in-sensitive I am... come on let me have. Then go back to doing your wifes dishes. Bunch of freaking girls. We've been sissyfied and nobody cares !!!

Girls.

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
I hear ya spitball, besides we all know that in the trenches they try to play mind games with each other. To get a player off his game. Joey said it to the media which probably will get Cowher to tell him to leave it on the field. Just so he doesn't have to hear the blah blah blah from the media. But yeah regardless NFL shouldn't have to be politically correct down in the jungle !

beSteelmyheart
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Harris needs to come to where I work - those guys call each other fags all day long.
It's just something that guys do, but the PC whiners always have to make such a big deal out of everything.

PalmerSteel
12-12-2006, 06:58 PM
mr harris must have ran out of things to write about