PDA

View Full Version : I WISH we had Devin Hester!!!!

BringthePressure20
12-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Maybe the steelers should of looked at drafting this kid for punt return and kick return duties because he is lighting up opposing teams. He has taken it to the house 5 times this year with a 21.0 yd avg for kick returns and 14.0 yd avg for punt returns and hes only in his 1st year...wow.

mattss
12-11-2006, 11:41 PM
This kid is UNBELIEVABLE as he just ran back his SECOND kick tonight on MNF..I dont know how this kid does it...The Bears had their hands team on the kickoff in the 4th qtr and he still managed to find the hole and run it back giving him 5 on the year..I doubt he will get rookie of the year but boy has he made a difference on a team where the offense and Rex are so inconsistent. I really hope Reid can come back next year and give us a spark on ST because we absolutely blow this year..

** -1 - dropped an easy interception..lol

Sharkissle29
12-11-2006, 11:44 PM
yea....why couldnt we get him? what a bummer

fansince'76
12-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Dante Hall, anyone? Yeah, he's having a great year returning kicks, but what about next year? And the year after that? I think folks are overreacting because of Holmes' propensity to muff kick returns. Personally, I think we have more pressing needs - OL, DL, LB, CB, to name a few.

Hines0wnz
12-11-2006, 11:56 PM
OMG why didnt we get Reggie Bush???? Anyone seen that guy for the Saints!

And LT, like he is only the best single season TD scorer ever! How did we miss him????

mattss
12-11-2006, 11:56 PM
sure we have more pressing needs and our ST will come around but im just expressing my awe and of course venting some frustration since our ST helped lose numerous games

tony hipchest
12-11-2006, 11:58 PM
i think the outrage is we drafted willie ried for the exact same reason devin hester was picked by the bears. ST returns..

reid was a 3rd round pick and hester came after. while hester was on the field and building on a record breaking season reid was rotting away on the bench. (oh and colclough was handing the ball to the bungles)

Steelers
12-12-2006, 12:00 AM
If we would've got Marino...

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 12:00 AM
As long as we don't pull an "Al Davis" and pay big money to a complete bust (Desmond Howard) because he won the SB MVP for returning kicks....

tony hipchest
12-12-2006, 12:11 AM
If we would've got Marino...again, the bears drafted hester to replace j. gage. the steelers drafted s. holmes (for the recieving game) AND w. reid (for the return game) to replace a. randle el.

hester and homes have upheld their end of the bargain. its a shame reid didnt get his shot until the san diego game.

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 12:13 AM
sure we have more pressing needs and our ST will come around but im just expressing my awe and of course venting some frustration since our ST helped lose numerous games

Yeah it's cool, and I think it is also a part of the larger fact that the Bears by and large are having one of those years where everything has bounced their way - prime example: their game against Arizona earlier this season.

Sharkissle29
12-12-2006, 12:19 AM
OMG why didnt we get Reggie Bush???? Anyone seen that guy for the Saints!

extremely irrelevant on what he's sayng, get a clue

tony hipchest
12-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Maybe the steelers should of looked at drafting this kid for punt return and kick return duties because he is lighting up opposing teams. He has taken it to the house 5 times this year with a 21.0 yd avg for kick returns and 14.0 yd avg for punt returns and hes only in his 1st year...wow.he was from THA U. not a great chance the steelers are gonna spend a 1st day pick on a player from "u thug".

hester does seem to have that troy brown type of versatility. the reason he slipped in the draft was the same a player like m. colston slipped. teams werent sure what his position was. the bears KNEW what his niche was. special teams.

X-Terminator
12-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Hester's good, but I believe Reid can be just as good if he stays healthy. It would add that other dimension to our team that we've really never had, even with Randle El here - a true game-breaker on returns.

MJ5150
12-12-2006, 03:10 AM
How many Browns fans were saying "I WISH we had Willie Parker!!!!" after Thursdays game?

-Mike

BringthePressure20
12-12-2006, 07:44 AM
How do we even know willie reid is gonna do what everyone thinks he is? I didnt see anything spectacular from him in preseason or the san diego game. We will just have to wait and see.

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Cowher did not even let Reid dress until the San Diego game based upon his insistence on dressing 5 safties on game day until then, with Reid getting his shot then only because Coclough was injured.

The special teams execution has been horrible, but the coaching staff could not even figure out how to get the correct players dressed on game day. Of course, I was watching the replay of the Colts-Steelers playoff game and had forgotten Ike Taylor was returning the kickoffs in that game. It is as if sending out someone to return kicks has been an afterthougt for the Steelers.

After El left it was if Cowher did not have the time or inclination to slot someone else into a position that had been filled for 4 years - just another example of the lack of focus & execution this year.

tony hipchest
12-12-2006, 09:41 AM
i was getting d. hester mixed up with the michigan wr tampa drafted in the 4th round. i remember alot of draft grades that questioned the bears taking hester in the 2nd. he was small, and many scouts didnt know what to do with him (except play ST). some draft graders felt the bears were "reaching". the bears drafted to fill a need but then they actually let that player fill the need. im with dan and coachspeak. willie shoulda been playing week 1.

Eztarget
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Dante Hall, anyone? Yeah, he's having a great year returning kicks, but what about next year? And the year after that? I think folks are overreacting because of Holmes' propensity to muff kick returns. Personally, I think we have more pressing needs - OL, DL, LB, CB, to name a few.

Yes those other needs are pressing but if we had a reliable kick/punt returner this year our record would probably be 9-4/8-5 right now instead of 6-7!

My question is how good was Hester in college. From what I've read he wasn't returning kicks like this in college.

ChronoCross
12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Would not want him. He cannot outrun 1 of our LBs. 4.8 40.. Plays in nickle and dime packages when someone is hurt. Plays on chicago who has had yet again another cupe cake schedule. Chicago could not win 3 games if they played the hardest schedule in the league which was the bengals. Yes Chicago plays the #2 easiest schedule in the league and it makes them look like golden boys.. And yet again they will fall in the playoffs. They cannot handle teams like a healthy Giants team, Saints, Cowboys. Yes I said Giants, if Eli plays solid and Giants have there 7 Starters back they would of slammed the bears all over the field. NFC is so pathetic this last few years its unreal. Hester scoring on some of the worst special teams in the league and you want him.. Ya people nag me because of how I put down the bears in a lot of places but I am not delusional I see how there making it and others just see wins and losses. It does not help your team being 11-2 thinking your great when you play teams like they do. When they beat a team worth a crap then tell me what hester does. And go back 2 years if you want to find a decent team they beat. And do not bring up the Jets this year heck they could not even beat the Lions and ya the Jets has the 3rd easiest strenght based schedule. What happen to the bears when they played a tough team last year they lost, what happen this year they lost, what happens to them in the playoffs they will loose. Hester will not have any TDs when it comes playoff time. Morey could run TDs back easily thru the teams they played. Bears simple are pretenders and not legit. Give the steelers there schedule and were in the playoffs. And are special teams look golden.

sumo
12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Would not want him. He cannot outrun 1 of our LBs. 4.8 40.. Plays in nickle and dime packages when someone is hurt. Plays on chicago who has had yet again another cupe cake schedule. Chicago could not win 3 games if they played the hardest schedule in the league which was the bengals. Yes Chicago plays the #2 easiest schedule in the league and it makes them look like golden boys.. And yet again they will fall in the playoffs. They cannot handle teams like a healthy Giants team, Saints, Cowboys. Yes I said Giants, if Eli plays solid and Giants have there 7 Starters back they would of slammed the bears all over the field. NFC is so pathetic this last few years its unreal. Hester scoring on some of the worst special teams in the league and you want him.. Ya people nag me because of how I put down the bears in a lot of places but I am not delusional I see how there making it and others just see wins and losses. It does not help your team being 11-2 thinking your great when you play teams like they do. When they beat a team worth a crap then tell me what hester does. And go back 2 years if you want to find a decent team they beat. And do not bring up the Jets this year heck they could not even beat the Lions and ya the Jets has the 3rd easiest strenght based schedule. What happen to the bears when they played a tough team last year they lost, what happen this year they lost, what happens to them in the playoffs they will loose. Hester will not have any TDs when it comes playoff time. Morey could run TDs back easily thru the teams they played. Bears simple are pretenders and not legit. Give the steelers there schedule and were in the playoffs. And are special teams look golden.

I'm sorry bro - but I completely disagree with you - in fact I just started a thread about Hester's speed - quoting 40 times has always been a farce to me - what does a guy do in a game? - Did you see anybody closing on him when he returned those kicks? Game speed is what matters most and this guy has it - how fast do you run in a game when you have the ball in your hands? - IMHO, there is nobody faster than Hester returning kicks this year - if you want to quote 40 times, then sure most of the league is faster - but again that's not my point...

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
ST"s impact is still a impact. Would I want to draft a ST's ace in 1 or 2 or 3. NO ( I know we took Reid in 3) But 4 and beyond sure if available I would have taken him. Still rather have El over him though :)

Big D
12-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I think willie reid has the potential to be better then devin hester. The fact he has kick return records with florida state speaks volumes to me. I think next year he will be back and be a pro bowl return man

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I think willie reid has the potential to be better then devin hester. The fact he has kick return records with florida state speaks volumes to me. I think next year he will be back and be a pro bowl return man

I would settle for the STs improving to "average" at this point.

Big D
12-12-2006, 05:19 PM
not having santonio holmes returning kicks will be an upgrade on its own

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Would have been interesting to see how our ST's would have been if Reid didn't get hurt, but who knows maybe we see big things from him next year.

I just hope this long lingering injury isn't signs of things to come.

Infamix
12-12-2006, 07:51 PM

You had good points about the Bears schedule, but this IS the NFL. It's not like every "bad" team is made up of a bunch of cupcake eating cheerleaders. Plus, his 4.8 forty yard dash is irrelevant because those kind of numbers vs. in-game speed are two different things.

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
You had good points about the Bears schedule, but this IS the NFL. It's not like every "bad" team is made up of a bunch of cupcake eating cheerleaders. Plus, his 4.8 forty yard dash is irrelevant because those kind of numbers vs. in-game speed are two different things.

Agreed - IMHO 40-times are the most overrated measuring stick when evaluating football talent. Again, it's the NFL, not the Olympics.

sumo
12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Agreed - IMHO 40-times are the most overrated measuring stick when evaluating football talent. Again, it's the NFL, not the Olympics.

I started a thread yesterday for this very reason - coaches placing so much emphasis on 40 times is perplexing to me - ... Hester looked faster than everybody on the field while returning those kicks on MNF - were any of the guys with better 40 times running him down?

Infamix
12-13-2006, 11:41 AM
I started a thread yesterday for this very reason - coaches placing so much emphasis on 40 times is perplexing to me - ... Hester looked faster than everybody on the field while returning those kicks on MNF - were any of the guys with better 40 times running him down?

let's see...nope!

40s are overrated unless its beer

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
let's see...nope!

40s are overrated unless its beer

I think some of the problem lies in his posted 40's time....NFL.com reported his 40 as 4.51...but if you check out his college profile...the Hurricanes post his time as having been as high as 4.33....

Speed does matter in kickoff return and punt return..but only after you find the seam...until then quickness/elusiveness is more important...after finding that seam it is your straight line speed that will allow you to break for a long run.

That being said..40 times are overrated..since 99% of players are not returning kicks

BigDuke6
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Its the entire Bears STs that are the best in the league. They play guys like Uhrlacher on punt return and are crafty enough to put guys back for a return on long windy FG attempts.
Its not just Hester, these guys are well coached, have great ST systems and execute. And that means all 11 of them on the field for STs. How do you draft that ??
You dont. You coach it. Props to Dave Toub.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Its the entire Bears STs that are the best in the league. They play guys like Uhrlacher on punt return and are crafty enough to put guys back for a return on long windy FG attempts.
Its not just Hester, these guys are well coached, have great ST systems and execute. And that means all 11 of them on the field for STs. How do you draft that ??

I respectfully disagree with giving the Bears too much credit at all....I think when you look at their schedule you begin to see what the true "foundation" of their incredible run is based on.....all together their opponants record is 86-122...which means that their opponats win about 41% of their games...Same story as last year...weak schedule=overrated...

Sep 10 @Green Bay
Sep 17 Detroit
Sep 24 @Minnesota
Oct 1 Seattle
Oct 8 Buffalo
Oct 16 @Arizona
Week 7 BYE
Oct 29 San Francisco
Nov 5 Miami
Nov 12 @N.Y. Giants
Nov 19 @N.Y. Jets
Nov 26 @New England
Dec 3 Minnesota
Dec 11 @St. Louis
Dec 17 Tampa Bay
Dec 24 @Detroit
Dec 31 Green Bay

sumo
12-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I think some of the problem lies in his posted 40's time....NFL.com reported his 40 as 4.51...but if you check out his college profile...the Hurricanes post his time as having been as high as 4.33....

Speed does matter in kickoff return and punt return..but only after you find the seam...until then quickness/elusiveness is more important...after finding that seam it is your straight line speed that will allow you to break for a long run.

That being said..40 times are overrated..since 99% of players are not returning kicks

4.3 and 4.5 - somebody else in the thread says he runs a 4.8 and our MLBs could out run him - wow - good thing we're not in charge of the NFL combine..

tony hipchest
12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Sep 10 @Green Bay
Sep 17 Detroit
Sep 24 @Minnesota
Oct 1 Seattle
Oct 8 Buffalo
Oct 16 @Arizona
Week 7 BYE
Oct 29 San Francisco
Nov 5 Miami
Nov 12 @N.Y. Giants
Nov 19 @N.Y. Jets
Nov 26 @New England
Dec 3 Minnesota
Dec 11 @St. Louis
Dec 17 Tampa Bay
Dec 24 @Detroit
Dec 31 Green Bay 9 games vs. teams with a new head coach (which means the teams are bad). 8 of those games were against ROOKIE head coaches. plus 2 games vs. denny greens cardinals and nolans 49ers = cake. it should be pretty easy to mop up a division with 3 rookie HC's.

Stillers43
12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't mind having him instead of Reid, but he is only a return guy.

sumo
12-13-2006, 06:50 PM

I saw an interview on the NFL channel and they practice their field goal return as often as they do punts, kickoffs, etc - they have plays and blocking patterns for every contingency you can imagine -- pretty impressive - the STs for the Bears have won games for them this year - what would that be like to have STs that are an enhancement instead of a liability?...

tony hipchest
12-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I saw an interview on the NFL channel and they practice their field goal return as often as they do punts, kickoffs, etc - they have plays and blocking patterns for every contingency you can imagine -- pretty impressive - the STs for the Bears have won games for them this year - what would that be like to have STs that are an enhancement instead of a liability?... steelers will probably be looking for a special teams coach after this season. *hint hint*

coachspeak33
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
we can only hope tony,

YET ANOTHER OVERSIGHT ENTERING THIS SEASON BY...... BILLY COWHER