PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook On Porter

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Ron Cook, of all people, makes some good points on Porter's description of Winslow.

While Cook not surprisingly says the comments about Winslow were inapproriate, he makes the observation that this is not mainly about why can't we all just get along and sing Kumbaya. Instead, Cook says:

Forget that we live in a P.C. world. That's not the point here, although Porter's slur was just as offensive to a certain group of people as the use of the n-word would be to another group.

This is more about business. Porter has made millions from the Steelers and the NFL. He, like any player, coach, team official or league official, has to realize who makes all that jack possible. People from every race, religion, ethnic background and sexual orientation buy NFL tickets and merchandise. It's pretty stupid to use a derogatory term that's insulting to any group.

Cook also describes how Porter is a complex mix of good and bad character traits.

In a sense, Porter is one of the Steelers' all-time most fascinating characters.

There probably isn't a guy with a bigger heart on the team. That showed before the final regular-season game against the Detroit Lions last season when he organized a tribute to Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and moved LeBeau to tears by having the players wear LeBeau's retro No. 44 Lions jersey to the game. "The last thing you want to do is let him down," Porter said of his enormous respect for LeBeau. It also showed before Super Bowl XL when he held back the other players so Jerome Bettis could lead the team on to the field in Detroit, his hometown. "I wanted the cameras to shine on him alone," Porter said.

Those were amazing acts of kindness.

But Porter has another side. He occasionally gets caught up in the macho, most-feared-man nonsense. His trash talking is usually more humorous than annoying. "Joey will talk about your mother. He'll get personal with you and say anything," Foote has said. But, occasionally, Porter loses his grip. It happened after a game against the Baltimore Ravens in 2003 when he chased Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis to the Ravens' team bus, presumably to fight. It also happened before a game in Cleveland in '04 when he was involved in a skirmish with Browns running back William Green and was ejected.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06346/745408-87.stm

Just as most of us on this board presumably would not make a derogatory comment we knew would offend a client or supervisor, Porter's agent, coach, and the league are going to get Porter to make some sort of retraction because it is bad for business - it's a bottom line world for the NFL, as it is for most everything else in this society.

Infamix
12-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Good points...Porter is quite a character

Haiku_Dirtt
12-12-2006, 01:58 PM
While it's kind of a side point, I disagree with that part.

NOTHING gets people more offended and up in arms than the n-word. Imagine if Ben used it to describe an opposing player at a post-game press conference (not that he actually would). People would be calling for him to be hanged at midfield.

Has anyone been to an Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock gig? If you can count the number of N-bombs on two hands and two feet then it means you weren't listening well enough.

To be sure it's not an excuse.

polamalufan43
12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I didn't even know that he chased Ray Ray to the team bus. That just made my day, lol. Anyway.... I have seen that Porter has different sides to him for a while. It's apparent more now though.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

klick81
12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
They really need to let this go. I SERIOUSLY doubt he's the first person to call another player this word. I'm not saying it was right, but the fact that it was Joey is what has all these stupid ass writers in a frenzy. LET IT ****ING GO.

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2006, 06:13 PM
They really need to let this go. I SERIOUSLY doubt he's the first person to call another player this word. I'm not saying it was right, but the fact that it was Joey is what has all these stupid ass writers in a frenzy. LET IT ****ING GO.

It's a consequence of saying it after a Thursday night game when there was nothing else to cover for several days; for Porter the only way this would get more attention is if he said it going into a bye week.

Pitsburgh media needs to cover something about the Steelers and it certainly is not going to be whether the Steelers are getting home field advantage in the playoffs this year.

SteelCzar76
12-12-2006, 10:52 PM
[ it is bad for business - it's a bottom line world for the NFL, as it is for most everything else in this society.[/QUOTE]

The truth is,.....to hate or disregard anyone simply based upon genetic makeup (or even Homosexuals),....is bad for buisness, as well as foolish.
But in all honesty,.....the "P.C" sh$t is really being taken too far. What i mean by this is as follows.
How many people have used varying slurs and or slang at some point in their life,.....but in truth know right from wrong and are'nt foolish enough believe such stereotypes and generalizations. ? (though some demented and animalistic individuals do.)
Yes,.....different "breeds" of human beings will sometimes have some "slick" sh*t to say at the expense of others.
(As well as those with different religious beliefs and sexual orientation will do the same.)
But ""at the end of the day",......it all boils down to CHARACTER on an individual level. (Ie merit based upon interaction)
Bottom line,..... Joey said what many say everyday in regards to "slang". But that doesn't mean his heart and or true integrity are that of literal villany.
And for those whom would liken his (Peezy's) comments to bigotry based upon "breed". People of different "sexual" orientations have never slaughtered, raped, enslaved and or murdered each other for the sake of those beliefs. (On a historic scale)
But this has been done based upon supposedly "racial" pretenses. (As was the case with those of mediterranean descent against "northern europeans",......and northern europeans in turn against all others whom were not of their "breed".)
So,.....no,......calling someone a "f#ggot" is not the same as disrespecting someone based upon ethnicity. Though by the standards of today's "effeminate" society it definetly was "bad for buisness". (When taken out of context )
We don't have to "love" each other or take long warm shower's together and frolick in fields of daisy's. BUT,..... be enlightened enough to respect each other and be truthfully JUST. (Though at the same time,.......lighten the f#ck up over the nonsense)

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
My philosophy is this: the NFL is an ultracompetitive league and a downright dangerous game (especially at the NFL level). There's no room for political correctness. If your feelings are hurt that easily, go watch golf instead.

NV STEELERS 723
12-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Our best defensive player is Troy NOT JOEY !!!!!!!!!! ...You don't see Troy at the middle of the field talking trash to get him fired up....that is just Joey

Troy seems to find other ways to get fired up without calling out some players proposed sexual orientation...

Now the more I think about it....Joey would make a great addition to the Raiders... a classless act to a organization that diserves him....

He is not at all the representation that the classic STEELERS represent..

I think he's expendable!

NV STEELERS 723
12-13-2006, 12:07 AM
My philosophy is this: the NFL is an ultracompetitive league and a downright dangerous game (especially at the NFL level). There's no room for political correctness. If your feelings are hurt that easily, go watch golf instead.

And by the way..... I golf! And I'm a gentleman.... the sport does not compare.... ita all about manners, and sportsmanship

fansince'76
12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Our best defensive player is Troy NOT JOEY !!!!!!!!!! ...You don't see Troy at the middle of the field talking trash to get him fired up....that is just Joey

Troy seems to find other ways to get fired up without calling out some players proposed sexual orientation...

Now the more I think about it....Joey would make a great addition to the Raiders... a classless act to a organization that diserves him....

I think he's expendable!

You obviously never caught Lambert during his playing days. Of course, Lambert was a hell of alot better LB than Peezy.....wait, what was my point again?!?

fansince'76
12-13-2006, 12:10 AM
And by the way..... I golf! And I'm a gentleman.... the sport does not compare.... ita all about manners, and sportsmanship

That was kinda my point - the NFL is NOT a gentleman's game. Not on game day, anyway.

NV STEELERS 723
12-13-2006, 12:10 AM

I think he's expendable!

We'll replace him in the draft no problem...... some hungry LB that thinks first................... then speaks...........

NV STEELERS 723
12-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Lambert is one of my FAVS........ but does not compare to PEEZY......... Jack let his pads do the talking, with "some" words...... but he always "checked " himself at the door.......

#58 is the best MLB ever for the STEELERS... and he was only 6'2' and 225 !

SteelCzar76
12-13-2006, 01:59 AM

Exactly.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

augustashark
12-13-2006, 02:14 AM
This is a joke. The steelers and the fans have the Panthers this weekend....That's where the focus needs to be, not on something that is as trival as this.

steelcity58
12-13-2006, 07:56 AM
I didn't even know that he chased Ray Ray to the team bus. That just made my day, lol.
~Polamalufan43:tt02:
Took the proverbial words out of my mouth...

Porter plays with almost the same type of intensity as Lambert did.

Football is a tough sport...and emotions..especially anger can get the best out of, or worst out of anyone.

Part of Pittsburgh's history is being tough...and you bet your *** downright mean and nasty.

However...Lambert was only "out of line", when provoked.

Like when he picked up and slammed Cliff Harris AFTER Harris taunted our kicker after a missed FG.

Yeah...there is a difference between Lambert, a GREAT player, and Porter a good one.

Self control.

Some people have more than others.

My two cents...

Oh yeah...

Polamalu is unbelievable...one of my faves of all time.

Plays every play like it's his last...and plays every down like it's supposed to be...important.

As was Mean Joe Greene...Lynn Swann...

Being a Steelers Fanatic...I'll spare time and not be here all day thinking and listing EVERY good or great player.

brind666
12-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Ron Cook, of all people, makes some good points on Porter's description of Winslow.

While Cook not surprisingly says the comments about Winslow were inapproriate, he makes the observation that this is not mainly about why can't we all just get along and sing Kumbaya. Instead, Cook says:

Forget that we live in a P.C. world. That's not the point here, although Porter's slur was just as offensive to a certain group of people as the use of the n-word would be to another group.

This is more about business. Porter has made millions from the Steelers and the NFL. He, like any player, coach, team official or league official, has to realize who makes all that jack possible. People from every race, religion, ethnic background and sexual orientation buy NFL tickets and merchandise. It's pretty stupid to use a derogatory term that's insulting to any group.

Cook also describes how Porter is a complex mix of good and bad character traits.

In a sense, Porter is one of the Steelers' all-time most fascinating characters.

There probably isn't a guy with a bigger heart on the team. That showed before the final regular-season game against the Detroit Lions last season when he organized a tribute to Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and moved LeBeau to tears by having the players wear LeBeau's retro No. 44 Lions jersey to the game. "The last thing you want to do is let him down," Porter said of his enormous respect for LeBeau. It also showed before Super Bowl XL when he held back the other players so Jerome Bettis could lead the team on to the field in Detroit, his hometown. "I wanted the cameras to shine on him alone," Porter said.

Those were amazing acts of kindness.

But Porter has another side. He occasionally gets caught up in the macho, most-feared-man nonsense. His trash talking is usually more humorous than annoying. "Joey will talk about your mother. He'll get personal with you and say anything," Foote has said. But, occasionally, Porter loses his grip. It happened after a game against the Baltimore Ravens in 2003 when he chased Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis to the Ravens' team bus, presumably to fight. It also happened before a game in Cleveland in '04 when he was involved in a skirmish with Browns running back William Green and was ejected.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06346/745408-87.stm

Just as most of us on this board presumably would not make a derogatory comment we knew would offend a client or supervisor, Porter's agent, coach, and the league are going to get Porter to make some sort of retraction because it is bad for business - it's a bottom line world for the NFL, as it is for most everything else in this society.

can anyone confirm that he actually chased ray lewis to the team bus after the game ??????????????????????????? :-) Porter is GOD!!!!!!!!

brind666
12-13-2006, 08:05 AM
We'll replace him in the draft no problem...... some hungry LB that thinks first................... then speaks...........

sure replace with a rookie ???? right..... and then some...

klick81
12-13-2006, 11:43 AM

I think he's expendable!

:yawn: