PDA

View Full Version : Tall WR in Pitt

kyflash15
12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
OK i have been thinking about the steelers draft since starting 2-6... i have read a lot about who we should get, and the more i think about, the more i think we need a tall receiver. i think big ben is a great QB, but i dont he has a lot of weapons right now.. and with ward getting older i think its important that we bring in some good receivers so we dont have to worry about this for awhile. We have a young QB, young back, and a lil more young receivers allows us to focus more on lines in next years draft. I say we draft a big wr, and some dbs this year...what do you all think?

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 07:11 PM
I think Holmes and Washington are both coming along pretty nicely - for my money, OL is priority one going into April's draft, but DB is definitely another area of need.

Infamix
12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Santonio Holmes is explosive enough for now....I think 76 is right, Offensive line, DBs, and may I add linebackers, are our priorities.

ChronoCross
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Well we have Walter Young and he is 6'4, has great hands but has been mostly in part having route running troubles. And that is what has held him back this last 2 years. Young played great in NFLE and he has got better at his route and timing patterns. Who knows he might actually pan out. We have the TE's and they are very big targets but we have not used them like last year. Its more decision and not using are big targets right. I am not sold on wasting a draft pick yet on another WR in early rounds.

Infamix
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Well we have Walter Young and he is 6'4, has great hands but has been mostly in part having route running troubles. And that is what has held him back this last 2 years. Young played great in NFLE and he has got better at his route and timing patterns. Who knows he might actually pan out. We have the TE's and they are very big targets but we have not used them like last year. Its more decision and not using are big targets right. I am not sold on wasting a draft pick yet on another WR in early rounds.

Wow good call....I completely forgot about Young.

Dook
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Bring in some good receivers? Well do we need a tall receiver or a good one? Are you suggesting that only tall WR's are good ones?

Steve Smith's height is 5' 9'' and he's pretty good. Hines Ward is a good wide receiver but that is my opinion, not necessarily yours since he is only six foot tall.

Playing wide receiver isn't about height. Speed, experience, route running, reach, bravery, ability to block, balance, intelligence, all play a factor.

Our receivers haven't been much of a weapon primarily because Ward hasn't been 100%. Holmes is still learning, he was running the wrong routes earlier in the season. Nate's routes aren't precise and he has dropped more than a few. Wilson has never been anything but a slightly less than average NFL WR, he won't ever been anything more than a #3 WR on most teams.

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Our receivers haven't been much of a weapon primarily because Ward hasn't been 100%. Holmes is still learning, he was running the wrong routes earlier in the season. Nate's routes aren't precise and he has dropped more than a few. Wilson has never been anything but a slightly less than average NFL WR, he won't ever been anything more than a #3 WR on most teams.

Not to mention our OL has forgotten how to pass block at times all season - Ben's been getting clobbered on a disturbingly regular basis.

boss hog
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
no need for a tall wr....just throw more to heath miller and everything would be just fine........holmes is badass and him and ward will be badass together next year, and if we can resign washington then we'll be set.....no need for a tall wr, they are overrated.....so again throw the ball the heath more and everything would be all good

fansince'76
12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
....no need for a tall wr, they are overrated....

Plaxico Burress. 'Nuff said.

SteelerCuse
12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
First and foremost we need a friggen OLB that can rush the QB. After that we need some new blood at tackle. After all of that.......... we can worry about a WR with height. Let's not get the cart before the horse.

Steel Pit
12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
No need to draft another WR. We've wasted too many damn draft picks on WR's. We're second in the league behind the Lions when it comes to reaching for that "Ultimate WR".

We need OL and LB help.

NV STEELERS 723
12-12-2006, 11:23 PM
A stopper in the secondary would be nice....a huge man on the OF Line would great too..., and I think some mean ass linebackers wouldn't hurt either.....

Bye Joey... you have no class to be a STEELER anymore....

boss hog
12-12-2006, 11:40 PM
A stopper in the secondary would be nice....a huge man on the OF Line would great too..., and I think some mean ass linebackers wouldn't hurt either.....

what did he do to not have class?? he says nothing wrong......everything that comes out of his mouth is the truth........except for hopefully that cowher is coming back

hellbread
12-13-2006, 04:51 AM
I still think everyone's talk about the need for more OLs in the draft is overblown. We've already got Okobi, Essex, Keomatu and Colon, who all have some potential and at least a little experience. If we need A lineman or two, we've probably already got him on the roster somewhere in that bunch. Let's give them a shot before we spend high draft picks on the OL.

At DB, we've got five solid guys, although we can't always tell who's going to be on top of their game.

The one thing really lacking on defense this year has been pressure on the passer. Part of that's been the underachieving linebackers, part may be the line. I think picking up a dominant defensive end could be one way to go, otherwise adding depth to the linebacking corps is going to be a necessity eventually anyway.

As for WRs, you can never tell whether you're getting Hines Ward or J.J. Stokes with your pick, and I'm pretty happy with the potential of Holmes and Washington so far. If we're looking for fresh faces, maybe we cut Wilson and bring back Morgan, since I don't think he ever had a chance to fully live up to his potential either.

i could not agree more. i think we should get those olb like we use to have with loyld and greene. big bulky speedy guys. get a nice pass rushing de and covert him over to olb. kinda like how the chargers did with merriman. i meen im just throwing out there...maybe having a de olb covert might be good. *cough* who knows. but wat i do find funny is wat u stated people do cry for oline WHEN THEY PLAY BAD. a power back WHEN BETTIS LEFT. a db WHEN THEY CANT COVER. u know most of the oline are pro bowlers. need i really say more? they had a bad year and people are ready to throw them out. db core is young. they will learn. if u look at champ bailey he was inconsistent in his early years too. as far as power back. KUHN= THE ANSWER. we dont have as many holes as everyone says we do. just my two cents.

19ward86
12-13-2006, 07:56 AM
my man WALTER YOUNG on the P-SQUAD is 6'-4'' and is a descent guy, he will be on the team next year just watch.

BigDuke6
12-13-2006, 02:48 PM

Joey IS the face of our D. He's a leader on the field and in the locker room. I support him 100%.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2006, 03:04 PM
If that kid from USC Dwayne Jarrett is there when the Steelers pick I wouldn't be against the drafting of Dwayne Jarrett the kid is a best. You can never have enough weapons for Big Ben. I really like Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech. But he will be drated in the top five maybe even top three. Noway the Steelers will have a shot at Johnson.

SteelerFanInCA
12-13-2006, 03:15 PM
If that kid from USC Dwayne Jarrett is there when the Steelers pick I wouldn't be against the drafting of Dwayne Jarrett the kid is a best. You can never have enough weapons for Big Ben. I really like Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech. But he will be drated in the top five maybe even top three. Noway the Steelers will have a shot at Johnson.

I've seen that Johnson kid play and he is solid. Scary solid!!!!

Big D
12-13-2006, 05:07 PM

if we draft another wr in the first rd this year i'm going to be matt millen for halloween next year. We need a cb or running back

Dook
12-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Plaxico Burress. 'Nuff said.

LOL, are we all supposed to gasp as if we all forgot about the great Plaxico Burress?

Do you have his jersey and a fan shrine with his picture on the wall and candles that are always burning?

Plaxico Burress isn't even in the top 30 of NFL receptions this year.
He's #23 in reception yards. Hurt Hines Ward is #24.
Receptions for TD's he's #3 with nine and Ward has 6 limping.

As far as DE goes, their #1 job is to contain the run if it's a run play. If it's a pass then they try to get pressure. Now it's THREE defensive linemen going up against FIVE offensive lineman, a TE, and possibly a blocking RB. That makes it THREE Steelers against 5-7 offensive linemen. They're rarely going to get pressure.

In our system the pressure comes from the blitzing LB, or CB, or Safety, not the DE.

fansince'76
12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
LOL, are we all supposed to gasp as if we all forgot about the great Plaxico Burress?

Do you have his jersey and a fan shrine with his picture on the wall and candles that are always burning?

Plaxico Burress isn't even in the top 30 of NFL receptions this year.
He's #23 in reception yards. Hurt Hines Ward is #24.
Receptions for TD's he's #3 with nine and Ward has 6 limping.

A shrine? Yeah right. Please go back and take a look at my post again - within it, I quoted another post saying "tall receivers are overrated" - naturally, I offered Plexiglass as a prime example from this team's recent past. Reading comprehension - as important as the skill of reading itself.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2006, 08:15 PM
if we draft another wr in the first rd this year i'm going to be matt millen for halloween next year. We need a cb or running back

To me there is only two positions in the first round besides the kicking spots the Steelers should avoid and thats QB and TE. So I really don't care who the Steelers draft just as long they get a solid football player and if Dwayne Jarrett is the best available when the Steelers draft in the first round then so be it. I really like Joe Thomas the big OT from Wisconsin but he won't be there when the Steelers pick. He is going to be a top five pick.

I just think a WR core of Ward, Holmes and Jarrett could be very interesting for teams next year. Plus factor in Heath Miller at TE and if he is ever used. But there is only one football and that would be a problem.

I wouldn't be against the drafting of a corner but without a consistent pass rush the drafting of a corner would be pointless. Even the great corners can't cover all day. So the Steelers I think should try to find a DeMarcus Ware or Merriman type pass rusher in the first round also.

Like I said the Steelers should avoid QB and TE in the first round. But every other spot should be considered it just depend on the best available. I don't want the Steelers to reach for a position.