PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: 12/13/06

83-Steelers-43
12-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Steelers Notebook: Porter apologizes, but not to Winslow
"I would just like to say it was a poor choice of words ..." -- Joey Porter
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Joey Porter apologized yesterday to anyone he might have offended over some crude remarks he made Thursday, except for the target of his comments -- Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow.

"I would just like to say it was a poor choice of words in the comment I made toward Winslow," Porter said. "If I offended anybody, I apologize for that."

Porter twice called Winslow a name considered derogatory when used to describe gay men.

"I guess how we used that word freely, me growing up using it, I didn't think nothing of it like that," Porter said. "Like I said, I apologize to anybody I offended on it.

"I didn't mean to offend nobody but Kellen Winslow. Pretty much, that's it about that."

Porter said he was not worried about possibly hearing from the league regarding his comments, and he does not plan to talk to Winslow about what he said. Porter has appealed a previous $15,000 fine the league levied on him for comments he allegedly made to an official on the field in Oakland Oct. 29.

"Man, once they take it they're not giving it back. You can appeal it all you want to. They take it, so it comes down to your word against theirs and their word is always bigger than ours.

"I appealed it. They said we'll get back at you when we get back at you, so that means they're not going to get back at you."

Porter, who made the cover of Sports Illustrated early this season when the magazine called him the most feared man in the NFL, said he's not surprised at the reaction over his latest comments.

"Not really, because whatever I say is going to go to an extra level anyway. I didn't think nothing big of it when I did it and it's over with. I don't want to keep harping on it and make a story out of nothing."

Pro Bowl picks

The Steelers gathered after practice to cast their votes for the AFC Pro Bowl team. Coaches and players vote this week and the teams will be announced next Tuesday.

Hines Ward, who has made the Pro Bowl four times at wide receiver, believes one Steeler above all deserves to make it -- halfback Willie Parker.

"I'd be real shocked if Willie does not make it because he's having one hell of a year," Ward said.

Parker ranks third in the AFC with 1,199 yards and his 13 touchdowns are two fewer than Louis Lipps' team record of 15 in 1985.

Three running backs from each conference make the Pro Bowl.

Guard Alan Faneca, elected the past five years to the Pro Bowl, and strong safety Troy Polamalu, elected the past two years, lead the fan balloting at their positions. Those two, along with Casey Hampton, Jeff Hartings and Porter, made the Pro Bowl last season.

"We have a lot of [deserving] guys," Ward said. "This year, it's just been weird because it's been banged up so much. We have guys playing at a Pro Bowl level; it's not that they're not Pro Bowlers if they don't get voted to the Pro Bowl."

Ward runs

Ward, who missed the past two games after knee surgery, ran but did not practice yesterday.

"Today was just a confidence booster for me. I'll be ready to practice tomorrow."

The Steelers have an extra practice this week because they usually do not work on Tuesdays. Coach Bill Cowher gave the players four days off after they beat Cleveland, 27-7, Thursday.

Polamalu, Hartings, Mike Logan and Cedrick Wilson also did not practice. Ryan Clark, listed as questionable, did.

Takeaway

The Steelers lost another draft choice when the Browns signed defensive end Orien Harris from their practice squad. Harris was a fourth-round pick this year from Miami. Defensive tackle Scott Paxson, an undrafted rookie from Penn State, replaced him on the practice squad.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06347/745642-66.stm

Infamix
12-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Willie would make it to the probowl if it wasn't for LT and LJ

83-Steelers-43
12-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Steelers notebook

By The Tribune-Review
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Steelers players filled out their Pro Bowl ballots following practice Tuesday. Wide receiver Hines Ward, a perennial Pro Bowler, said third-year running back Willie Parker deserves his first NFL-sponsored trip to Hawaii.

"He's having a hell of a year," Ward said. "You look at all the running backs and what he's done for our team."

Parker ranks third in the AFC and fifth in the NFL with 1,199 rushing yards, behind Kansas City's Larry Johnson (1,432), San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson (1,427), San Francisco's Frank Gore (1,347) and the New York Giants' Tiki Barber. Johnson, Tomlinson and Edgerrin James, then of Indianapolis, were voted onto the AFC Pro Bowl squad a year ago. Parker declined comment on Ward's nomination.

"I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it," Ward said.

The Pro Bowl squads will be announced at 4 p.m. Dec. 19 on the NFL Network.

? The Cleveland Browns signed defensive lineman Orien Harris off the Steelers' practice squad Tuesday. Harris, 6-foot-3 and 302 pounds, was the Steelers' No. 4b draft pick in April. The Steelers signed defensive lineman Scott Paxson to the practice squad to replace Harris. Paxson (6-4, 292) went to training camp with the Steelers as a rookie free agent out of Penn State but was released Sept. 2.

? Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), wide receiver Cedrick Wilson (ankle), safety Mike Logan (hamstring), wide receiver Hines Ward (knee) and center Jeff Hartings (knee) didn't practice yesterday. Polamalu, Wilson and Logan are doubtful for Sunday's game against Carolina. Ward and free safety Ryan Clark (groin) are questionable. Hartings is probable. Clark practiced yesterday.

"I felt good, man, everything's good," Clark said.

? Ward tested his knee for the first time since undergoing arthroscopic surgery prior to the Steelers' Dec. 3 game against Tampa Bay.

"First time I really ran and cut," Ward said. "It felt good. I'll be ready to practice (today)."

? The Steelers were last in the NFL in takeaway/giveaway differential following a minus-3 on Nov. 26 at Baltimore that left them minus-12 for the season. They've committed just two turnovers and registered six takeaways since and have improved to minus-8, good for a tie for 27th with San Francisco. The Steelers have committed 32 turnovers in 13 games. Only Detroit (34), Cleveland (33) and Oakland (33) have turned the ball over more. The Steelers have thrown an NFL-high 20 interceptions, all by Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers' 24 takeaways tied for eighth in the NFL.

Digits

1 - Rushing touchdowns for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in 2006.

5 - Games the Steelers have won, in five tries, in games in which Roethlisberger has rushed for a touchdown.

7 - Games, including playoffs, the Steelers have won, in seven tries, in games in which Roethlisberger has rushed for a touchdown.

13 - NFL-low number of 100-yard rushers allowed by the Steelers since 2000.

38:47 - Season-high time of possession registered by the Steelers in Thursday night's win over Cleveland.

- By Mike Prisuta

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483898.html