PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Lamar Hunt

tony hipchest
12-14-2006, 10:00 AM
the cheifs owner has been hospitalized with cancer since right before thanksgiving. ironically he always spearheaded an effort to have teams other than dallas and detroit to have a thanksgiving game. when the chiefs finally got one this year he was not able to watch cause the hospital didnt have direct tv.

he founded the AFL, was the 1st member of the afl to be elected to the hall of fame, named the "superbowl" the superbowl, and every year made the effort to get the 2 point conversion into the nfl.

a great league owner all the way. i hope the steelers display their 6 lamar hunt trophies proudly.

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2006, 10:18 AM
You have to wonder as the "all for one and one for all" owners such as Dan Rooney, Lamar Hunt, & Wellington Mara pass on and are replaced by the Danny Snyder & Jerry Jones types where this league may be heading.

You cannot assume the golden era of the NFL since the merger, in which every team has had an equal shot at winning except for a dark period in the early to mid-1990s when Dallas and San Francisco attempted to buy championships, will last forever.

fansince'76
12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
You have to wonder as the "all for one and one for all" owners such as Dan Rooney, Lamar Hunt, & Wellington Mara pass on and are replaced by the Danny Snyder & Jerry Jones types where this league may be heading.

I have thought about it, and it makes me shudder.

sumo
12-14-2006, 01:18 PM

I have thought about it, and it makes me shudder.

Great point - I don't even like it when people bash Al Davis and Bill Bidwell - I love the old school guys - sure all of them have been a little insane over the years, but that's part of what made the NFL what it is ..

Joe Namath and Lamar Hunt - Lamar Hunt presents the idea of having a "Super Bowl" to merge the two leagues - NFL owners laugh at the idea - viewing the AFL as a fad/joke that would go away - the first 2 Super Bowls are seen as validating the NFL point of view -- and then the Jets and Chiefs win SBs 3&4 and the AFL immediately becomes legit and the real NFL as we know it today is born...

SteelCityMan786
12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
RIP Lamar. Definantly one of the best owners the NFL had. He will be missed.

NV STEELERS 723
12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
RIP Mr. Hunt

tony hipchest
12-16-2006, 01:43 PM
i wonder if they will pass out rain coats and galoshers when dick vermeil speaks at his funeral. :crying01:

3 to be 4
12-17-2006, 06:02 PM
i wonder if they will pass out rain coats and galoshers when dick vermeil speaks at his funeral. :crying01:

Tony, you have to wait 2 or 3 more days before making a joke about the poor guy.

after that you can say something like, "In the words of Herm Edwards "You come to a funeral to bury the man!"

but not before then.

In Cowher We Trust
12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
R.I.P Lamar Hunt