PDA

View Full Version : our homefield advantage on the road???

tony hipchest
12-14-2006, 11:20 AM
what happened to it? last year you could see and hear our crowd at road games, sometimes 15,000 strong. this year it seems non existant. am i imagining this?

are more teams home fans showing up to see and root against the steelers? last year we would always discuss how well the steelerfans traveled and how loud it would be in other stadiums. not a single topic on it this season.

coachspeak33
12-14-2006, 12:27 PM
interesting point tony, your right we havent heard much talk this season about the steeler nation taking over too many stadiums....

think about this though.... they coulda been there with very little to cheer about.... kinda like the old saying... if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

coachspeak33
12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
so the new saying goes like this.....

if 12,000 steeler fans fill an opponents stadium, only to watch the steelers enter the game unprepared, turn the ball over at an alarming rate, endure multiple unsportsmanlike conduct personal fouls, celebration penalties, etc....... if all this happens then did the 12,000 strong steeler ans really show up?

Infamix
12-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I think it stopped after the Raiders game. I traveled with my friend all the way from Jersey to see the San Diego game, and there were ALOT of Steeler fans there. I mean every hotel, restaraunt, everything was invaded by Steeler fans.

SteelersWoman
12-14-2006, 03:59 PM
It seems to me that if people go to road games to root for our guys when they're winning, but stop if they're losing, that amounts to what....a fair weather fan?

ANYbody can root for us when we're winning, but it takes die hards to do it when we're not.

That's just "my" opinion on it, I'm sure others have their own.

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I witnessed Steeler Nation out in full force personally at the Atlanta game (local media said we left previous crowds of Bears and Cowboys fans in the dust) and understand it also was at the San Diego game. The Steelers fans had around 25% of the tickets in Atlanta and were primed to take over the Georgia Dome.

Unfortunately, in the Atlanta game the Falcons crowd got into the game after Holmes fumbled a punt and the Falcons scored early in the 1st Q, got back into the game in the 2nd Q with the Steelers up 17-7 when Ben and Hartings screwed up a center snap and the Falcons scored (see a pattern?), and then got amped up again in the 3rd Q when Simmons ran the wrong way on a play that resulted in a Parker fumble followed by the Falcons then regaining the lead.

At least while they were in contention, it has not been a matter of fair weather Steelers fans in road games but the Steelers self-destructing instead of grabbing the lead and then controlling the second half (unlike 2004 and 2005) that has kept fans of the home team charged up and prevented the Steelers fans from taking over the crowd in road games this year.

Stilliz
12-14-2006, 04:54 PM
We couldnt even fill Heinz field last week, what the hell do you expect ?

Dee Dee Dee

A.M.
12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I went to the Bucs vs. Steelers game...the attendance was pathetic. I think we're giving up on our team...you need to slap those who are jumping on the Chargers bandwagon!

geran42o
12-14-2006, 05:24 PM
We couldnt even fill Heinz field last week, what the hell do you expect ?

Dee Dee Dee
We couldn't fill the stadium because you couldn't get to the stadium. I went to the Browns- Steelers game. Should have only taken me 2 hrs to get there. But it took us 4hrs. We were stuck in traffic for 2 hrs and we were only 20 mins from Hienz Field. After half time the stadium started filling up. But by that time we had pretty much sealed the win and the ones who were there early started to leave.

Indy_Steelers
12-14-2006, 07:04 PM
It seems to me that if people go to road games to root for our guys when they're winning, but stop if they're losing, that amounts to what....a fair weather fan?

ANYbody can root for us when we're winning, but it takes die hards to do it when we're not.

That's just "my" opinion on it, I'm sure others have their own.

I can agree with that. As much as I hate to say it, we too have people jumping on and off the bandwagon. I however have worn a Steeler shirt every day since trainnig camp started and will have one on every day until we play our last game this season. After that it is college basketball time and I will wear one once and a while.

Livinginthe past
12-15-2006, 05:35 AM
I guess it's pretty quiet and lonely once everyone gets off theband wagon. Something similar to this. Did ya'll here Steven Jackson callingout the Rams fans. Apparently the Rams had to go to a silent count at HOME against the Bear because there were so many Bears fans there. Pretty bad huh? I guess thats where all the Band wagon Jumpers have gone this year, too bad they will loose in the playoffs.

I watched some of that game - all you could hear was the Chicago fans chanting 'Moooooose' whenever Muhsin Muhhamad caught a pass.

NM

Stillers43
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
We still have a decent showing, but its not the same! That's what losing does!

klick81
12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
I think it stopped after the Raiders game. I traveled with my friend all the way from Jersey to see the San Diego game, and there were ALOT of Steeler fans there. I mean every hotel, restaraunt, everything was invaded by Steeler fans.

Yep :smile: We represented well that day.

I can agree with that. As much as I hate to say it, we too have people jumping on and off the bandwagon. I however have worn a Steeler shirt every day since trainnig camp started and will have one on every day until we play our last game this season. After that it is college basketball time and I will wear one once and a while.

I hope you have more than one shirt! :smile:

SCSTILLER
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I was at the Jax game and there were alot of Steelers fans there. We walked around dahntown saturday night and every single bar we went into had 10-15 Steelers fans in it. Alot of Steelers fans were tailgating also even though they did not have tickets. We represented the team very well that game, but we got beat.

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2006, 01:24 PM
I think the Steelers fans still are regarded as a threat to show up en masse for road games.

A story in today's Atlanta paper on the Falcons being concerned about a lot of Cowboys fans being in the house for Saturday night's game in the Georgia Dome states:

"We can't have that this weekend," Falcons linebacker Ike Reese said. "The Cowboys have a good following, just like Pittsburgh."

Against the Steelers on Oct. 22, a significant portion of the Georgia Dome was filled with Terrible Towel-waving Pittsburgh fans....

The last time an opposing team's fans stormed the Georgia Dome, the Falcons rallied to beat the Steelers 41-38 in overtime

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2006/12/14/1215falconsdome.html

NV STEELERS 723
12-15-2006, 01:34 PM
I wish the NFL would give Vegas a team! There are thousands of STEELER fans here!!!