PDA

View Full Version : Cincy's Big Ben helmet night for safety's sake, team insists

83-Steelers-43
12-15-2006, 04:23 AM
Cincy's Big Ben helmet night for safety's sake, team insists
Friday, December 15, 2006

By Chico Harlan, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tonight, a minor league hockey team in Cincinnati is, with the utmost respect, dedicating its latest home game promotion to a certain 6-foot-5, once-foolhardy, once-unhelmeted rival city quarterback whose misfortune -- again, with the utmost respect -- now figures to attract quite the walk-up crowd.

"For litigation's sake," Cincinnati Cyclones PR man John Hamel said, "please note this [promotion] has been referred to as Big Ben Helmet Safety Night. OK? I don't want us to get into any trouble."

No, the trouble was all Big Ben's. In June, Ben Roethlisberger wrecked his supercharged motorcycle and nearly lost his life. Now, he's fully healed -- a quarterbacking miracle, provided he's not facing the Raiders. And the Cyclones, members of the East Coast Hockey League, have adopted Mr. Roethlisberger's cautionary tale -- with, of course, the noblest of intentions.

"We're not taking a shot at him," Cyclones marketing director Sean Lynn said. "It may seem like it ... but ultimately our goal is to raise awareness for motorcycle safety. People get past the initial shock of this, and they see the lining to it."

On the Cyclones' official team Web site, an orange-and-yellow graphic announces the promotion. A little clip-art motorcycle image hovers up top. A generic black bike helmet -- "7" written on the side -- sits beside the message, "click for tickets." Based on league statistics, Cincinnati ranks last in the league in attendance, drawing 1,744 per game.

The Ohio Department of Public Safety will provide pamphlets on motorcycle safety to all in attendance, and every fan will receive a $50 gift certificate for the Cincinnati Plastic Surgery Group -- insurance, so to speak, should fans ignore the pamphlets' warnings. The first 1,500 children at the U.S. Bank Arena will receive foam Cyclone goalie helmets, not intended for actual safety, and two lucky kids will win the drawing for mini rocket-like motorbikes. They stand about 2 1/2 feet tall, Mr. Hamel said, and will come with the requisite safety equipment.

"So yes," Mr. Hamel said, "in reality, there will be two legitimate helmets given away."

The team informed neither Mr. Roethlisberger nor his agent, Ryan Tollner, of the promotion. The quarterback uses his popular nickname in connection with his Web site, his personal foundation and his barbecue sauce.

"So my reaction, I'd like to have a discussion with their PR department," Mr. Tollner said. "If it's for the sake of promotion, some entity stands to profit from Ben's likeness, and that's not legal. I have no problem with the promotion of motorcycle safety, but not at the humorous expense of what Ben went through."

Mr. Lynn hatched the idea sometime in September, after a promotional planning session with his marketing department -- "a whopping two people," he said, counting himself.

Nobody at Cyclones headquarters rode motorcycles, but they valued the chance to promote safety.

After all, the team, for one promotion, had dropped papier mache turkeys from the rafters. On Thursdays, it hosts intermission contests in which fans run the length of the ice, intermittently chugging beers. (Participating fans sign consent forms promising that they won't drive home. Safety first.)

Many fans in the Cincinnati area still recall rooting for Mr. Roethlisberger. The quarterback grew up in Findlay, Ohio, about 2 1/2 hours north. He played college football at Miami of Ohio, in Oxford, some 45 minutes northwest. Still, much of the goodwill disappeared when Mr. Roethlisberger emerged as the Steelers' franchise quarterback. In January, playing in Cincinnati, he and his teammates defeated the Bengals in a first-round playoff game.

The rivalry between southwest Ohio and southwest Pennsylvania burned strong. Even the hockey teams adopt the cause of their football counterparts.

"And you know what, that's the beauty of it," Mr. Hamel said. "We go to Johnstown, [home of the ECHL's Chiefs], and there's this place, Scott's By Dam, a block from the arena. It's a tradition for the fans in Johnstown to go to Scott's By Dam after the morning skate. So we go in there. And the fans and the ownership group heckle you: 'Oh, you're from Cincinnati. How many times have you been arrested this week?'

"So our old standby is, well, when the game is over, at least we get to leave."

The Cyclones happen to play Johnstown on Big Ben Helmet Safety Night. From there, the team's promotional schedule shifts toward the more conventional.

They have a teddy bear toss and a night for NASCAR. Also, to ensure that at least something of import happens for Cincinnatians that day, the Cyclones host the ECHL's only game on Feb. 4, Super Bowl Sunday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06349/746397-66.stm

Preacher
12-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Classless.

stillers4me
12-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Classless.....and clueless.

Preacher
12-15-2006, 05:35 AM
I wonder, if they were given a bike helmet, would they know how to use it?

"NO... NO... IT ISN'T A SALAD BOWL!"

stillers4me
12-15-2006, 05:42 AM
I wonder, if they were given a bike helmet, would they know how to use it?

"NO... NO... IT ISN'T A SALAD BOWL!"

They may even mistake it for a Lombardi trophy........they've never seen one up close but they're going to win one, ya know.

Preacher
12-15-2006, 05:48 AM
They may even mistake it for a Lombardi trophy........they've never seen one up close but they're going to win one, ya know.

They haven't won one yet?

By the way they have been acting this year... including the fans, I thought they had at least 5.

Oh yeah, that was the 5 minutes in last years playoff that they actually had a chance... My bad.

stlrtruck
12-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Come on people. With the exception of the Black and Gold fans in Cinci, what smarts, class or intelligence has that city, organization, and/or fans shown?

So why should this shock us?

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2006, 07:31 AM
It's probably trademark infringement, but for Ben to respond to this trash just gives this jerk the publicity he craves.

coachspeak33
12-15-2006, 07:51 AM
i would expect this kind of thing to happen at a high school pep rally.... someone needs to give these low-rent, used car salesman, bush leaguers a after-school detention.

gregstephens
12-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Let's not forget Big Ben was a hometown hero in Cincinnati when he played for Miami Ohio. So a minor league hockey team that will draw maybe a thousand is giving away bike helmets and using the hometown hero's name by which to do it. That's all you people have to piss and moan about today? Talk about classless and clueless. If Ben has a problem with it, I'm sure he'll take action. If not, get another hobby or something. It's none of your business. I used to think Steelers' fans were at least above pot-shotting stupid stuff, but I guess times have gotten that bad. Oh yeah...I also forgot. I'm on 'someone's ignore list'.

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Let's not forget Big Ben was a hometown hero in Cincinnati when he played for Miami Ohio. So a minor league hockey team that will draw maybe a thousand is giving away bike helmets and using the hometown hero's name by which to do it. That's all you people have to piss and moan about today? Talk about classless and clueless. If Ben has a problem with it, I'm sure he'll take action. If not, get another hobby or something. It's none of your business. I used to think Steelers' fans were at least above pot-shotting stupid stuff, but I guess times have gotten that bad. Oh yeah...I also forgot. I'm on 'someone's ignore list'.i dont see why. this post is just as easilly forgotten as it is ignored. if crapinatti is so concerned with its citizens safety they would have reflective tape night along with free cab rides given out in a dont drink and drive campaign.

im sure you would have a thought or 2 if the penquins had a carson palmer knee pad night to promote roller blading safety.

skidboot
12-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Maybe fans in Pittsburgh can make a noodle dish and call it "Carson Palmer's Ligament Tear Delight" and sell it outside Heinz Field with all proceeds going to Charity of course.

fansince'76
12-15-2006, 09:47 AM
To Ben: let it sink in kid - then on 31 December light their asses up like a pinball machine. Don't get mad, get even.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Let's not forget Big Ben was a hometown hero in Cincinnati when he played for Miami Ohio.

..uh, yea..Cincy loves this guy:dang: ..thats why we all saw the black and orange escalator in the third quarter of the playoffs last year ..they werent leaving,...they were rushing to get their "Big Ben" memorabilia.

So a minor league hockey team that will draw maybe a thousand is giving away bike helmets and using the hometown hero's name by which to do it.

So a minor league hockey team that will draw maybe a thousand is making fun of one persons misfortune by giving away bike helmets and using the "hometown heroes" name to do it....(You dont really believe that Ben is loved in Cincy do you?!!!)...So I guess that Atlantas minor league Hocky team is okay in "honoring" hometown hero David Pollack (Snellville GA) by giving away two wheelchairs ....yea...tacky and stupid!!!

Talk about classless and clueless.

Sure..check out our thread on another Bengal being arrested

Oh yeah...I also forgot. I'm on 'someone's ignore list'

which is second best to being on our banned list:wave:

gregstephens
12-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh...ok. Who gives a crap? Spend all your time writing your venom and anger...eh, who cares. So long.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh...ok. Who gives a crap? Spend all your time writing your venom and anger...eh, who cares. So long.

Dont let the door hit ya.. where the good lord split ya

buh-by:wave:

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh...ok. Who gives a crap? Spend all your time writing your venom and anger...eh, who cares. So long.you might wanna get that wound treated. i hear that steelervenom sets in rather quickly and will consume your whole system.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 11:02 AM

Who dey cares?....You dey cares!!!

Big D
12-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Let's not forget Big Ben was a hometown hero in Cincinnati when he played for Miami Ohio. So a minor league hockey team that will draw maybe a thousand is giving away bike helmets and using the hometown hero's name by which to do it. That's all you people have to piss and moan about today? Talk about classless and clueless. If Ben has a problem with it, I'm sure he'll take action. If not, get another hobby or something. It's none of your business. I used to think Steelers' fans were at least above pot-shotting stupid stuff, but I guess times have gotten that bad. Oh yeah...I also forgot. I'm on 'someone's ignore list'.

bengal fan?

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 12:20 PM
bengal fan?

close...Bengal Troll.

Big D
12-15-2006, 12:21 PM
close...Bengal Troll.

As if this forum didnt have enough of those the way it is. I dont think he's comming back. What a shame

polamalufan43
12-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, no one saw this coming *sarcasm*

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2006, 02:16 PM
gregstephens - I do not get your posts except when they are quoted in subsequent posts since I am the "someone" who has you on my ignore list.

If you are going to talk the talk you need to walk the walk - walk back here when your team wins something other than a division title (which since you are a Bengals fans means never come back).

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 02:25 PM
gregstephens - I do not get your posts except when they are quoted in subsequent posts since I am the "someone" on your ignore list.

If you are going to talk the talk you need to walk the walk - walk back here when your team wins something other than a division title (which since you are a Bengals fans means never come back).

to quote Tunch...."Bengals have not won a playoff game since 1990..thats a long time...thats a long, long time"....I love to play that over and over..He is also the one who coined the "reverse black and orange escalator" phrase to describe those hardcore Bengal fans leaving at the end of the third quarter in their playoff drubbing

Preacher
12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I have yet to see anything come out of Cincinnatti that had class. So sad.

sumo
12-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Dont let the door hit ya.. where the good lord split ya

buh-by:wave:

I agree but you have to say it like David Spade on SNL:

BUUUH...BYE!!! BUH-BYE!!!!

floodcitygirl
12-15-2006, 04:41 PM
To Ben: let it sink in kid - then on 31 December light their asses up like a pinball machine. Don't get mad, get even.Wisdom, if I've ever heard it! :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I have yet to see anything come out of Cincinnatti that had class. So sad.

including the education system. do they even have school buidings there? it seems like the only schooling going on there is done by the steelers... thats why all the smart resident cincinites are steelerfans

floodcitygirl
12-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I have yet to see anything come out of Cincinnatti that had class. So sad.Preacher....you and I may have to have a conversation on this one. Although I'm a transplant, my sons were born and are being raised here. You did mean to put an exemption in your statement....right???? :wantsome: :wink02:

floodcitygirl
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
including the education system. do they even have school buidings there? it seems like the only schooling going on there is done by the steelers... thats why all the smart resident cincinites are steelerfansGood save there, Tony! I was getting worried for ya. :wink02:

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Preacher....you and I may have to have a conversation on this one. Although I'm a transplant, my sons were born and are being raised here. You did mean to put an exemption in your statement....right???? :wantsome: :wink02:

:dang: :dang: :dang: *nelson voice* "haha"! :sofunny:

preacher, i put a disclaimer on mine!

floodcitygirl
12-15-2006, 05:28 PM
:dang: :dang: :dang: *nelson voice* "haha"! :sofunny:

preacher, i put a disclaimer on mine!I wouldn't laugh it up too much if I were you. I seem to recall suggesting some "alterations" to your phraseology repertoire in the past... :tap: :sofunny:

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't laugh it up too much if I were you. I seem to recall suggesting some "alterations" to your phraseology repertoire in the past... :tap: :sofunny:
nope. wasnt me. the only thing i know for sure that sucks in the natti is the bungles and their fans (the cinci police force is awesome :thumbsup: ). cinci people who root for the steelers are great too! :smile:

floodcitygirl
12-15-2006, 06:11 PM
nope. wasnt me. the only thing i know for sure that sucks in the natti is the bungles and their fans (the cinci police force is awesome :thumbsup: ). cinci people who root for the steelers are great too! :smile:OK...scoring major points here tonight! :thumbsup: It might even make up for those past indiscretions...(I could swear it was you. Hmmmmm.....)

whodey2Usir
12-15-2006, 07:58 PM
a few thoughts here. to call the bengals classless because of what a minor league hockey team does is a little far fetched. all of your examples about "what if pittsburgh did such and such carson palmer knee night" is off too because it was your team who injured him and it would be clearly insulting. ben's situation is different because it's his mistake that people can learn from, especially kids. would i have said this was a good idea for that hockey team to do? no, but that doesn't mean it's malicious. no one goes to those games and some marketing guy is just trying to fill seats. i can understand not liking a team, sure, but take a listen to the bengals press conferences or watch the videos of our guys in the locker room and tell me how classless they are -- they don't point fingers or make excuses, period. no one is going to say drunk driving is good, and don't get me started on o'dell or chris henry, but that's not reflective of the whole team by any means. Call the bengals inconsistent or still in the whole of sucking for so long, but the leaders of the team are some of the biggest class acts in the league.i hope you guys bring some sort of game to the jungle on the 31st, it's going to be a long bus ride home fellas.

PAMillerGrrl83
12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Oh Lord, whine whine whine. Someone is a media tramp...wonder who, well duh its the Bungles up in Shitisnatti, give it up people Bens not an idiot hes a big boy he can take of himself. Sorry not interestested this just shows low class and stupidity.

X-Terminator
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
a few thoughts here. to call the bengals classless because of what a minor league hockey team does is a little far fetched. all of your examples about "what if pittsburgh did such and such carson palmer knee night" is off too because it was your team who injured him and it would be clearly insulting. ben's situation is different because it's his mistake that people can learn from, especially kids. would i have said this was a good idea for that hockey team to do? no, but that doesn't mean it's malicious. no one goes to those games and some marketing guy is just trying to fill seats. i can understand not liking a team, sure, but take a listen to the bengals press conferences or watch the videos of our guys in the locker room and tell me how classless they are -- they don't point fingers or make excuses, period. no one is going to say drunk driving is good, and don't get me started on o'dell or chris henry, but that's not reflective of the whole team by any means. Call the bengals inconsistent or still in the whole of sucking for so long, but the leaders of the team are some of the biggest class acts in the league.i hope you guys bring some sort of game to the jungle on the 31st, it's going to be a long bus ride home fellas.

Whine much?

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 10:59 PM
don't get me started on o'dell or chris henry, but that's not reflective of the whole team by any means. Call the bengals inconsistent or still in the whole of sucking for so long, but the leaders of the team are some of the biggest class acts in the league.i hope you guys bring some sort of game to the jungle on the 31st, it's going to be a long bus ride home fellas.

8 players for a total of 11 arrests IS reflective of the whole team!

NO ONE on the bengals is "some of the biggest class acts in the league"!

next.

whodey2Usir
12-16-2006, 03:14 AM
8 players for a total of 11 arrests IS reflective of the whole team!

NO ONE on the bengals is "some of the biggest class acts in the league"!

next.

mmmm dem grapes is sowuh
you guys must really hate carson to not think he's a class act, just be a little bit honest. do i hate the steelers? well yeah, ya got to. would i cut off a few toes to have polamalu on the bengals D? well yeah, he's an unreal player. try not to be too unreasonable fellas. the whole point for me is that it's silly to take what a minor league hockey team does and say that reflects the bengals being classless, or the city for that matter. private organizations making their own personal choices. sheesh

NV STEELERS 723
12-16-2006, 03:19 AM
what a class act!

Preacher
12-16-2006, 04:43 AM
mmmm dem grapes is sowuh
you guys must really hate carson to not think he's a class act, just be a little bit honest. do i hate the steelers? well yeah, ya got to. would i cut off a few toes to have polamalu on the bengals D? well yeah, he's an unreal player. try not to be too unreasonable fellas. the whole point for me is that it's silly to take what a minor league hockey team does and say that reflects the bengals being classless, or the city for that matter. private organizations making their own personal choices. sheesh

We are not saying it is reflective of the Bengals as a team. We are saying that it seems to be reflective of the sports fans of the region as a whole.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-16-2006, 08:09 AM
whodey2Usir a few thoughts here. to call the bengals classless because of what a minor league hockey team does is a little far fetched. all of your examples about "what if pittsburgh did such and such carson palmer knee night" is off too because it was your team who injured him and it would be clearly insulting. ben's situation is different because it's his mistake that people can learn from

Its different because it was LIFE-THREATENING!!!...Like I said...Let someone have a David Pollack Wheelchair night and see if you finally understand the bad-taste involved!!

would i have said this was a good idea for that hockey team to do? no, but that doesn't mean it's malicious.

Your quite right about this..your opinion doesnt make it malicious...the idiocy and selfishness behind the thought makes it malicious

no one goes to those games and some marketing guy is just trying to fill seats.

OHHH..he is trying to fill seats...in that case ..its all good:dang:

i can understand not liking a team, sure, but take a listen to the bengals press conferences or watch the videos of our guys in the locker room and tell me how classless they are

I have...they are...nuff said

-- they don't point fingers or make excuses, period.

..and with that statement..any credibility goes out the window...that is total:bs:

no one is going to say drunk driving is good, and don't get me started on o'dell or chris henry, but that's not reflective of the whole team by any means.

...and your logic would hold water if it were two players and two arrests...it wasnt..so it doesnt
...Heres the real truth:

1) The Bengals are a bad imitation of the Colts...all offense..no defense
2) Chad Johnson is a bad imitation of T.O.
3) "Who dey" is a bad imitation of the Saints earlier "Who dat"
4) ..and the Bengals fans are a bad imitation of "Little League Parents"...making excuses for little Timmys performance...and making an otherwise enjoyable experience for all, into a mindless band wagon jumping me-fest of selfishness and poor sportsmanship.

floodcitygirl
12-16-2006, 08:46 AM
We are not saying it is reflective of the Bengals as a team. We are saying that it seems to be reflective of the sports fans of the region as a whole.Actually, I think it's a pretty good representation of the organization and it's fans. I would say Carson Palmer and a few others are the exceptions. :hunch:

siss
12-16-2006, 12:36 PM
It would be one thing if they were promoting bike saftey and poked a little fun at Ben (and I mean a little). The thing that makes this promotion classless and tastless is the fact that they are handingout plastic surgery gift certificates. And just putting people in seats is no excuse to make light of a life threating situation.

whodey2Usir
12-16-2006, 07:45 PM
upon further reflection i do think this move was worse than i originally felt. i still feel like it's silly to hold this against the bengals, though, and to say it's reflective of the fans in the region doesn't hold much water too -- pittsburgh is 4 hours from cincy guys. we'll just leave this until new year's eve. if you guys could do us a favor, too, try not to bring too many pitbulls :hug:

a who dey to you, sir

meanjoecoop
12-16-2006, 07:45 PM
...Heres the real truth:

1) The Bengals are a bad imitation of the Colts...all offense..no defense
2) Chad Johnson is a bad imitation of T.O.
3) "Who dey" is a bad imitation of the Saints earlier "Who dat"
4) ..and the Bengals fans are a bad imitation of "Little League Parents"...making excuses for little Timmys performance...and making an otherwise enjoyable experience for all, into a mindless band wagon jumping me-fest of selfishness and poor sportsmanship.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: Priceless LLT.

HometownGal
12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
We should hold a "How Not to be a Puss" night in Carson Palmer's honor in Pittsburgh to make fans more aware of the importance of eating your Wheaties and taking your Flinstones vitamins so as not to end up with a spine like a jellyfish and glass kneecaps.

HometownGal
12-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Call the bengals inconsistent or still in the whole of sucking for so long, but the leaders of the team are some of the biggest class acts in the league.

Really? Want to name a few of these "class acts"? Cartoon is a maybe but the rest of them are more ass acts than class acts.

P.S. Remember - WE DEY. Sheesh - thought you Bungles fans knew that by now. :wink02:

MACH1
12-17-2006, 01:29 AM
mmmm dem grapes is sowuh

Cartoons such a class act that he whines after the game when they had their ass's handed to them. Claiming to still be the better team and how much he hates the Steelers???
:sign09:

whodey2Usir
12-17-2006, 06:49 PM
if i remember correctly the bengals won our last meeting . . . at ketchup field . . . earlier this year, so i'll still gladly give who deys to all. and you're going to call carson a sissy . . . really? skin was the only thing keeping the bottom half of his leg to the top half and barely 8 months later he was starting again. in philidelphia they're talking about a possible 12 month rehab for not nearly the same degree of injury. i imagine you guys are sour about carson's priceless quote from SI, but you'll just have to deal with him not liking you guys. my problem with rivalries, and how most of you guys on here post, is how unreasonable the "fans" are. Have you ever seen another pro bowl player squirt water into 3rd string guys' mouths after scoring a touchdown? or the refs? have you ever seen carson blame anyone other than himself after a loss, or say anything other than it's their fault and need to get better? You didn't even see finger pointing after san diego embarassed us in fron tof the whole country, AT HOME! SO here's the list of starters who are NFL class acts in the 'nati

Marvin Lewis (i know, not a starter)
Carson Palmer
Chad Johnson
Rudi Johnson
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Willie Anderson
Levi Jones
Medieu Williams
Kevin Kaesviharn

you guys can hate the bengals all you want, just try to be a bit reasonable with yourselves. or at the very least don't expect me to drink the cool aid.

stillers4me
12-17-2006, 07:05 PM
If you watched that game, WeDey2Usir, you would be well aware that the Bengals did not do a darn thing to actually win that game. As matter of fact, the Bengals actually put on a very poor show that day. Until we started putting big ole ribbons on the ball and handing them right to you, your collective asses belonged to the Steelers. No way did you "win" it, ......and you're welcome. Don't expect it to happen again.

Preacher
12-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Carson Palmer-- I hate Pittsburgh. I hate Pittsburgh. Waaa Waaa
Chad Johnson-- I AM KING OF THE WORLD!!! (Yeah right).
Rudi Johnson-- at least he knows how to keep his mouth shut.
T.J. Houshmandzadeh--Yeah... class. He is nothing more then a thug in a helmet. ROTFL

Yep.. lots of class

whodey2Usir
12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
see you guys in three weeks.

HometownGal
12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
SO here's the list of starters who are NFL class acts in the 'nati

Carson Palmer
Chad Johnson
Rudi Johnson
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Willie Anderson
Levi Jones
Medieu Williams
Kevin Kaesviharn

you guys can hate the bengals all you want, just try to be a bit reasonable with yourselves. or at the very least don't expect me to drink the cool aid.

ROFLMAO!!! You're kidding, I hope. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Uncle Marv - pats his brigade of criminal element on the back as if he is proud of their extra-curricular activities. Yeah - that's a class act.

T.J. IBoinkedMyMamaandMyLlama - wipes his clown cleats with OUR Terrible Towel - yep, real class act.

Chad Johnson, a/k/a Chester the Court Jester - talks the big talk but doesn't walk the big walk against the Steelers D. More interested in being the class clown instead of a class act. :joker:

As for the rest of your list, they are members of that band of hoodlums trying to masquerade themselves as a football team and you know what they say - guilty by association. The only player on that list who I have even a wee bit of respect for is Cartoon - at least he's managed to stay out of the pokey thus far and I believe he's given his all every game since he played in his first NFL game.

The first match up this season was more like the Steelers losing that game instead of the Bungles winning it. Santie Claus came early for you but unfortunately, all the Bungles are going to get on New Years Eve is a big lump of coal. The all-time series between the Steelers and the Bungles is 42-30 and since 1991 - 22-9 in favor of the Steelers. Until the Bungles can catch up (which will probably be when Uncle Marv and Sam Adams go on the Abs Diet.....oink) I think it is safe to say that WE OWN YOU and therefore, WE DEY. :flap: :flap:

tony hipchest
12-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Have you ever seen another pro bowl player squirt water into 3rd string guys' mouths after scoring a touchdown? or the refs? .

:yawn: :monkey: :jerkit:

you got us there. weve only seen the bungles squirt into 3rd stringers and refs mouths. :rolleyes:

real classy (and pretty gross)

just remember. just cause they squirt it into the fans mouth doesnt mean you have to drink the...

kool aid.

BengalBrian
12-17-2006, 11:49 PM
This is a great thing the cyclones have done.. This is a good cause to raise awareness..

Thank you ben for being a dumbass and crashing into a car with your face.. You rule!

Preacher
12-18-2006, 12:05 AM
This is a great thing the cyclones have done.. This is a good cause to raise awareness..

Thank you ben for being a dumbass and crashing into a car with your face.. You rule!

Yep. Real class.

hardwork
12-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Exactly, gregstephens. What the hell is wrong with promoting helmet use/safety, and their minor league team at the same time, using a local hero?

You know why you see this kind of classless stuff from Steeler fans? Because so many of them aren't real hometown fans. They don't live around Pittsburgh, they don't even live in Pennsylvania. They're from all over the country and they call themselves Steeler fans because it makes them feel better about themselves for some reason. It's like some idiot from Ohio claiming he's a NY Yankee fan just because the Yankees have won so much.

Preacher
12-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Exactly, gregstephens. What the hell is wrong with promoting helmet use/safety, and their minor league team at the same time, using a local hero?

You know why you see this kind of classless stuff from Steeler fans? Because so many of them aren't real hometown fans. They don't live around Pittsburgh, they don't even live in Pennsylvania. They're from all over the country and they call themselves Steeler fans because it makes them feel better about themselves for some reason. It's like some idiot from Ohio claiming he's a NY Yankee fan just because the Yankees have won so much.

You are both wrong. The problem is that a semi-pro sports team is taking an accident that almost killed another player, and without his permission, making light of hte situation to promote thier own attendance. It is not about Ben being from Ohio, so they want to promote a local hero... how ludicris is that? It is about people who no longer are circumspect enough to understand how classless a move that is.

MACH1
12-18-2006, 12:24 AM
SO here's the list of starters who are NFL class acts in the 'nati

Carson Palmer
Chad Johnson
Rudi Johnson
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Willie Anderson
Levi Jones
Medieu Williams
Kevin Kaesviharn

You almost have a full chain-gang or gang bang there. Probly have the next member by the end of the week. :grouphug: :smile:

hardwork
12-18-2006, 12:28 AM
You are both wrong. The problem is that a semi-pro sports team is taking an accident that almost killed another player, and without his permission, making light of hte situation to promote thier own attendance. It is not about Ben being from Ohio, so they want to promote a local hero... how ludicris is that? It is about people who no longer are circumspect enough to understand how classless a move that is.

Man, that's some weak stuff. Is this the kind of BS you espouse from the pulpit? If it is, remind me never to attend one of your sermons, preacher.

tony hipchest
12-18-2006, 12:35 AM

You know why you see this kind of classless stuff from Steeler fans? Because so many of them aren't real hometown fans. They don't live around Pittsburgh, they don't even live in Pennsylvania. They're from all over the country and they call themselves Steeler fans because it makes them feel better about themselves for some reason. It's like some idiot from Ohio claiming he's a NY Yankee fan just because the Yankees have won so much.speaking of local fanbases and the yankees, dont you have a red sox site to go visit? with a new japanese pitcher and the pats inevitible playoff choke, football might as well be over for you guys.

pats = waste of a playoff spot

BengalBrian
12-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Yep. Real class.
I dont understand how crashing your motorcycle is classy... :shrug:

:flap:

:sofunny:

speaking of local fanbases and the yankees, dont you have a red sox site to go visit? with a new japanese pitcher and the pats inevitible playoff choke, football might as well be over for you guys.

pats = waste of a playoff spot
steelers = 500 team at best = no playoffs

Preacher
12-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Man, that's some weak stuff. Is this the kind of BS you espouse from the pulpit? If it is, remind me never to attend one of your sermons, preacher.

Excuse me? :pity:

It really is a shame when a person confuses the role of a preacher in a pulpit with the Blast Furnace in the Steelers Fever forum... WHICH WE ARE NOT EVEN IN.

tony hipchest
12-18-2006, 12:45 AM

did you come up with that all by yourself, or did you and hardwork have a "meeting of the minds"?

fansince'76
12-18-2006, 12:47 AM

How is the "defense" of the AFC North crown workin' out for you? My team probably isn't going anywhere, but do you honestly think a team as defensively challenged as yours has any hope of sniffing the Superbowl? Get real. I would be surprised if the Bungles do better than "one and done" IF they make it to the playoffs (and sorry, they still haven't sewn up ANYTHING yet).

Preacher
12-18-2006, 12:48 AM

:flap:

Never said it was. never claimed it was. I did however, claim how classless the cincy sports community is.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2006, 05:29 AM

Wow..where to start with the inconsistancies....

First..try actually READING the article...it goes beyond "promoting" a hometown hero when you give away a helmet and a gift certificate for plastic surgery. Pegstephens chooses to ignore my comparison to David Pollack so lets see if you can "man-up" better than he did....It would be the equivalent of a San Fransisco (try and imagine that they were a rival in your division) minor league team having a "stroke your meat" night to "honor" Teddy Bruschi, by giving away log of Beef Sausage and two free A.E.D.'s to some lucky winner to promote heart disease awareness....Tacky?..yes....Bad Taste..yes. ...HONORING?..NO!!!

..and if your think that being a fan of the Steelers and living in another "hometown" is classless....I think you even used the word "idiot"...What would you call an "idiot" that troll-camps another teams forum without ever adding anything more constructive then demeaning not only the Team..but the forums members?

1) Get a clue
2) Get a life
3) Get a map...the Steeler fanbase IS world-wide..not only nation wide.

I guess you think Nigel is an idiot since he doesnt live in Boston? That is some weak, assanine crap and you know it.

To me the REAL fans are not only the locals who most certainly eat, drink, and sleep Steeler Football...but it is also those of us who travel hours to see OUR team play ....I have personally seen the Steelers play in Indy, Chicago, Kansas City, Tennessee, Houston (Oilers), and Atlanta.....I have drove well over 10 hours to see a game ...I have spent over $600 to take me and my son to a game...I have froze my tail off in 10 degree weather to watch MY team...So say what you want to ..so as to as you say..."make you feel better about yourself for some reason"....But leave the BS on your Pat site where noone is smart enough to call you out for blatant inflammatory nonsense.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2006, 05:34 AM

Maybe because unlike a Bengal...when Ben crashed his bike...the authorities didnt have to find the Bikes REAL owner.

C'mon...I KNOW I didnt just see a Bengal-Fan just try and talk about teams and class:dang: :dang:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2006, 05:58 AM

Brian..

Do we need to have that talk again about how important it is to take your meds? Next time we have to warn you, we are going to have to take away "jello" time...

stillers4me
12-18-2006, 06:29 AM
The "local hero" part cracks me up........suddenly Ben is "one of theirs"....... puh-leeze................Actually, I believe that Ben's hometown is in Cleveland Brown country which is one reason (and not the only) that as long as Ben is at the helm, the Browns are toast.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2006, 06:47 AM
The "local hero" part cracks me up........suddenly Ben is "one of theirs"....... puh-leeze................Actually, I believe that Ben's hometown is in Cleveland Brown country which is one reason (and not the only) that as long as Ben is at the helm, the Browns are toast.

You are correct...Findlay is in Northern Ohio...but the Bengal fans are trying to rationalize their sports community classless acts by suddenly embracing Bens having placed at Miami of Ohio in sw Ohio (I realize that those of you in Ohio already know this...)

Funny how Ben was never considered a "home-town hero" until it has become convenient to splash that after-shave on the pile of manure that they are presenting to the public.

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 07:29 AM

Knock it off, please, hardwork. That is hitting below the belt. Preacher's career has nothing to do with the discussion going on in this thread so please zip it, k?

Thread moved to Blast Furnace.

floodcitygirl
12-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Man, that's some weak stuff. Is this the kind of BS you espouse from the pulpit? If it is, remind me never to attend one of your sermons, preacher.Reminds me on a couple of different levels of the scripture about casting pearls before swine, Preacher..... :shake01:

Big D
12-18-2006, 11:37 AM

stay classy. How could one man throw a comment like this to a man of god and make fun of him in this light. You are lucky i'm not a mod i would ban your ass for a comment like this

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 12:30 PM
stay classy. How could one man throw a comment like this to a man of god and make fun of him in this light. You are lucky i'm not a mod i would ban your ass for a comment like this

It's OK, D - it's being handled through the proper channels instead of dragging it out on the board.

BengalBrian
12-18-2006, 04:39 PM
did you come up with that all by yourself, or did you and hardwork have a "meeting of the minds"?
I replied to 'pats = waste of a playoff spot' :shrug:

Never said it was. never claimed it was. I did however, claim how classless the cincy sports community is.
Pay attention man..

Maybe because unlike a Bengal...when Ben crashed his bike...the authorities didnt have to find the Bikes REAL owner.
You too..

C'mon...I KNOW I didnt just see a Bengal-Fan just try and talk about teams and class:dang: :dang:
I did?

Preacher
12-19-2006, 03:57 AM
Pay attention man..

I do... That is why I cannot understand how you can defend something as unclassy as this promotion for bike helmets and plastic surgery. Take away the rivalry, the sports, etc. it is just unclassy. You don't make fun of a man's near-death experience.

Kellen Winslow almost destroyed his knee on a bike. no one here makes fun of him. Why? It is not classy.

If Carson Palmer was in a car accident... You would see a thread a mile long ON THIS FORUM... Wishing him well. Why? BECAUSE THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THEN FOOTBALL.

When a sports community cannot see past the sport to real life... and starts to make fun of people for real life issues... They have lost thier class.