PDA

View Full Version : Hawks/9ers

Livinginthe past
12-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Anyone else tune in for this game?

Thought it was going to be called off due to 'bubbles on the field' after the downpour - Seattle probably wishes it had been.

I watched the Hawks march it up and down the field for about 3 quarters and only put 7 points on the board.

Hassselback made some poor decisions against a poor D - looks like his WR corps is still struggling to come to grips with the west coast offense.

Alexander looked lethargic and slow into his cuts - got hit behind the line quite a bit aswell against a D that should have been over powered.

Julian Peterson was the games outstanding player - he was all over the place - great hit on Frank Gore.
Speaking of Gore, I was impressed with the 2nd year guy - he fights for every yard like his life depended on it, although that will probably lead to injury problems down the line.

One coaching decision that puzzled me - Holmgren going for the 4th down conversion when trailing 10-7 in the 4th quarter - thought at the time he should have tied the game and made the 9ers drive from deep which they have struggled with all season (not a single 80+yard TD drive all year) - but they went for it on a deep hand off to Mack Strong who got stuffed.

That gave San Fran all the momentum they needed and Gore ripped them apart on the ground.

There is talk of Seattle challenging Chicago as the NFCs best - on this evidence its not even close.

NM

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Seattle probably kicked away any chance of a first round bye with that gem - hard to see them winning 2 playoff games on the road.

Since I am now on the United States Saints bandwagon for the rest of this season Seattle losing is fine with me.

Mosca
12-15-2006, 08:19 AM
You know that the Hawks boards are lighting up on the "non-PI" call that created that last interception....

If you can't make 4th and a foot with the game on the line you won't win. I was pretty impressed with the way the 9ers stood up, and this team is going to be a contender. Maybe as early as next year.

Tom

Big D
12-15-2006, 08:21 AM
You know that the Hawks boards are lighting up on the "non-PI" call that created that last interception....

If you can't make 4th and a foot with the game on the line you won't win. I was pretty impressed with the way the 9ers stood up, and this team is going to be a contender. Maybe as early as next year.

Tom

I think with the loss to the cardinals and now the niners, Mike Holmgren is probably really sweating his job right now.

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 08:27 AM
ive never seen smith look so comfortable in the pocket. he looked like a pro. his play definitely opened up the game for the 9ers.

Big D
12-15-2006, 08:29 AM
ive never seen smith look so comfortable in the pocket. he looked like a pro. his play definitely opened up the game for the 9ers.

and whats really sad to say. Is norv turner has alot to do with smiths progression. Raiders should have kept him around at least another year.

Infamix
12-15-2006, 08:30 AM
I watched the first quarter and assumed Seattle was going to win...looks like Alex Smith made a comeback.

Hawk Believer
12-15-2006, 09:00 AM
I didn't get to see the game because I was stuck in traffic due to all the flooding going on out here. So I listened on the radio. This team is killing me this year! There were lots of legit excuses for them not playing well most of the season due to injuries. I thought they would be pulling it all together since they have most people back. But alas, they seem to find some way to underachieve.

The defense isn't nearly as consistant. I think a lot of this is due to poorer play by the offenses. Last year the Seahawks tended to jump out to an early lead. And they would have these 80 yard drives made up mostly of short passes and Alexander runs. It would eat up a bunch of time. Now the defenses is on the field a lot more (I am guessing this but I am sure the numbers would bear this out). And because we aren;t defensing big leads, the other team is running on us more. We have a smaller defense that isn't ideally built for stopping the run.

The thing that give me hope is that I know the offense is capable of playing a lot better. We still should make a wildcard in spite of the lasat two losses. But they better figure out what they are doing pretty quickly because the playoffs aren't far off....

Hawk Believer
12-15-2006, 09:02 AM
I think with the loss to the cardinals and now the niners, Mike Holmgren is probably really sweating his job right now.

No hints of anybody calling for his job. He earned a few seasons worth of immunity with this town and managment after last season.

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
The thing that give me hope is that I know the offense is capable of playing a lot better. We still should make a wildcard in spite of the lasat two losses. But they better figure out what they are doing pretty quickly because the playoffs aren't far off.... seattle has the same luxury as the pats. they will still win the division and host a wildcard game. i cant see the 9ers winning out and the seahawks losing out. az and st l are out of the mix so it SHOULD be smooth sailing to the playoffs.

fansince'76
12-15-2006, 09:32 AM
You know that the Hawks boards are lighting up on the "non-PI" call that created that last interception....Tom

Their whining and bitching surprises you? These are the same folks that took the "art form" of whining to a whole new level last February.

Mosca
12-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Their whining and bitching surprises you? These are the same folks that took the "art form" of whining to a whole new level last February.

LOL, not surprised at all. A knowledgeable fan understands that you win and lose over 60 minutes, not 59. Bad calls? You have to play well enough that bad calls don't factor. And anyhow, it looked like legs getting tangled to me. Hard to see because it was screened a little bit on the replay, but the ref was right on top of it.

Tom

Livinginthe past
12-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Tom

I thought that should have definitely been a PI call, especially in todays WR friendly environment - the key being the DB never took the time to look back at the ball - he watched the WR and then jumped in his face.

I also agree that the game was lost by a terrible Seattle yards/points conversion factor.

I also really like what Nolan is doing with the 9ers, he seems like a strong discipline guy (watching him on the sideline) and his team kept on coming at the Hawks even though they were outmatched in most areas of the field.

I thought the punt fake was a fantastic playcall - thats the type of thing Robinson was brought in to do ( I know alot Steeler fans would liked to have picked up this guy for a low rounder to take over the trickplay/slash role).

SF couldn't move the ball at all before that play, but after that Seattles will-to-win seemed to fade.

Anyway, I agree, I think SF will be contenders next year in the topsy-turvy NFC - they have plenty of cap room and another good draft wouldn't hurt.

NM

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 01:24 PM
steelers shouldve traded all their 2nd day picks to move up to the top of the 4th round to get robinson. i said before the draft if we wanted him it would have to be with the final fick of the 3rd round cause he wouldnt last to the end of round 4. he coulve replaced the need for humes, jacobs, a back up wr, and a special teamer. you dont find that with many players.

Big D
12-15-2006, 01:25 PM
I thought that should have definitely been a PI call, especially in todays WR friendly environment - the key being the DB never took the time to look back at the ball - he watched the WR and then jumped in his face.

I also agree that the game was lost by a terrible Seattle yards/points conversion factor.

I also really like what Nolan is doing with the 9ers, he seems like a strong discipline guy (watching him on the sideline) and his team kept on coming at the Hawks even though they were outmatched in most areas of the field.

I thought the punt fake was a fantastic playcall - thats the type of thing Robinson was brought in to do ( I know alot Steeler fans would liked to have picked up this guy for a low rounder to take over the trickplay/slash role).

SF couldn't move the ball at all before that play, but after that Seattles will-to-win seemed to fade.

Anyway, I agree, I think SF will be contenders next year in the topsy-turvy NFC - they have plenty of cap room and another good draft wouldn't hurt.

NM

I think Mike Nolan has done an incredible job. However when i was listening to total access before the game they said if he didnt win out at least his last two games he would be fired. Smart thinking once again by the york family

Hawk Believer
12-15-2006, 06:04 PM
seattle has the same luxury as the pats. they will still win the division and host a wildcard game. i cant see the 9ers winning out and the seahawks losing out. az and st l are out of the mix so it SHOULD be smooth sailing to the playoffs.

Its just discouraging to see them faltering in the stretch. Its a pretty familiar pattern for any fan who was on board before last year. I am happy they should (knock on wood at this point) make the playoffs but... I have seen them limp into the playoffs before and its not a recipe for success. They better kick up some momentum these next couple weeks. Its frustrating to know they are capable of playing so much better. I suppose Steeler fans can sympathize to a certain extent (minus the fact that we play in a weak division).

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Its just discouraging to see them faltering in the stretch. Its a pretty familiar pattern for any fan who was on board before last year. I am happy they should (knock on wood at this point) make the playoffs but... I have seen them limp into the playoffs before and its not a recipe for success. They better kick up some momentum these next couple weeks. Its frustrating to know they are capable of playing so much better. I suppose Steeler fans can sympathize to a certain extent (minus the fact that we play in a weak division). well, i didnt want to come out and say it, but the seahawks are sucking the dong. (no offense to kellen winslow or the nfl or any others for that matter).

steelerfans can empathize but then again, after last year, im sure we could beat anyone we faced if we could ACTUALLY make it to the playoffs. limping in seemed to work well for us. :cheers:

MACH1
12-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Its a good thing the Seahawks are in the NFCW division where 8-8 could win the division.:dang: Probably the weakest in the NFL.
Just be glad your not still in the AFC where you wouldn't have much of a chance in making the playoffs.